failed to connect to patch server - Page 3 - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

failed to connect to patch server

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
120 replies to this topic

#51 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:57 AM

The issue with Comcast is that 99% of their customer issues are due to the customer not knowing how to use their computer.

So how do you deal with a customer base containing millions of morons asking dumb questions and insisting the problem is you - when they're asking why their computer won't boot, or can't access a website after they futzed with settings they shouldn't have, etc - how do you deal with that? You hire some guys in Hyderabad to read a flowchart to the customer in broken english! You generally do everything you can to keep the idiot customers from wasting the time of your competent employees.

This works very well for keeping costs down (which is good), and it solves the problems of the idiots well enough that they keep subscribing, but not so well that they call back (hence, keeping costs down and revenue up). The problem comes up when a user who has found an issue, and knows what the issue is calls in - and you're talking to someone in India with no training who just knows how to tell people to do things that their problem solving flowchart tells them to.

This is sort of the deal you make when you sign up for a cheap, consumer-grade service. If you want good support, from people who know what they're talking about... that's professional-grade support, and you need to pay professional-grade prices for it. The mass market has brought us access to goods and services with very advanced technology in them for really affordable prices - but you have to accept that they cut corners to get the price where it is.

Not really sure what the point of this post was. I guess it was that dealing with comcast support is not useful.

Edited by DrAzzy, 10 October 2012 - 06:58 AM.

#52 roselle27

roselle27

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

The issue with Comcast is that 99% of their customer issues are due to the customer not knowing how to use their computer.

So how do you deal with a customer base containing millions of morons asking dumb questions and insisting the problem is you - when they're asking why their computer won't boot, or can't access a website after they futzed with settings they shouldn't have, etc - how do you deal with that? You hire some guys in Hyderabad to read a flowchart to the customer in broken english! You generally do everything you can to keep the idiot customers from wasting the time of your competent employees.

This works very well for keeping costs down (which is good), and it solves the problems of the idiots well enough that they keep subscribing, but not so well that they call back (hence, keeping costs down and revenue up). The problem comes up when a user who has found an issue, and knows what the issue is calls in - and you're talking to someone in India with no training who just knows how to tell people to do things that their problem solving flowchart tells them to.

This is sort of the deal you make when you sign up for a cheap, consumer-grade service. If you want good support, from people who know what they're talking about... that's professional-grade support, and you need to pay professional-grade prices for it. The mass market has brought us access to goods and services with very advanced technology in them for really affordable prices - but you have to accept that they cut corners to get the price where it is.

Not really sure what the point of this post was. I guess it was that dealing with comcast support is not useful.

No ,you're right. And i Apologize for this getting out of hand. The analyst that i contacted now actually helped a lot. I guess it just depends on how i really explained it to them. I didn't have the right to complain because I was at fault too.

#53 Lynex

Lynex

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

This is why I pay 100$ a month for internet. If I have an issue I can't solve, I have my ISP's Level 2 support on speed dial.

#54 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

So, has the google DNS solved your issue?

This is why I pay 100$ a month for internet. If I have an issue I can't solve, I have my ISP's Level 2 support on speed dial.

Exactly - Might I ask where do you get professional internet service for $100/month? I think it'd be considerably more around here.

#55 Lynex

Lynex

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

I should say its not professional, but with the package I get through my cable company (35mbps/3mbps), I get Level 2 Support. If only I could afford the 170$ a month, I'd have 110mbps/10mbps.

Also working for the company that they send their customers to if they can't figure it out (level 1 that is) helps.

Edited by Lynex, 10 October 2012 - 10:06 AM.

#56 roselle27

roselle27

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

So, has the google DNS solved your issue?

Yeah. but it wasn't permanent though. I still get the urlseek20. Then i decided to contact comcast and they told me to flush my cache and gave me instructions. That fixed the problem for quite some time, now it's back again. :/ and patcher is also acting up again.

#57 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

Hmm.

Maybe the problem will come back for me too?

When you added the google dns servers, did you put them at the top of the list, or remove the existing entries? You need to either have only google dns servers listed, or have the google dns servers at the top of the list. If they're listed after your ISP's dns server, it may not work.

Edited by DrAzzy, 10 October 2012 - 11:57 AM.

#58 roselle27

roselle27

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

Hmm.

Maybe the problem will come back for me too?

When you added the google dns servers, did you put them at the top of the list, or remove the existing entries? You need to either have only google dns servers listed, or have the google dns servers at the top of the list. If they're listed after your ISP's dns server, it may not work.

Yup. i deleted my ISP's dns and replaced it with google's on my mac. Oh and i got a reply from Comcast. They told me maybe unplugging my router for a couple of minutes will do it but i have yet to try because people here are busy using the internet, that i can't just unplug it or it will be the death of me. lmao :heh:

this is how it looks like :

Posted Image

Edited by roselle27, 10 October 2012 - 12:27 PM.

#59 Viri

Viri

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6295 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

The problem was genuinely Comcast's DNS. What the-_-?

#60 Pawan

Pawan

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationIndia
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:20 AM

I am having the same problem as well. I cant connect to the file servers. I cant open ropatch2.gravityus.com through my browser. But when i ping it, the response is fine with no loss. I am having this problem since yesterdays maintainence. Thats when i reinstalled my iRo.&nbsp;</p>
<p>I have tried using google public dns. I even flushed the dns, tried disabling my firewall. I tried almost everything. And yet i still cant connect to patch server.</p>
<p>And i do not use comcast.

#61 roselle27

roselle27

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:05 AM

I am having the same problem as well. I cant connect to the file servers. I cant open ropatch2.gravityus.com through my browser. But when i ping it, the response is fine with no loss. I am having this problem since yesterdays maintainence. Thats when i reinstalled my iRo. </p>
<p>I have tried using google public dns. I even flushed the dns, tried disabling my firewall. I tried almost everything. And yet i still cant connect to patch server.</p>
<p>And i do not use comcast.

hmm well that breaks the chain of comcast users. now im really wondering what the problem really is.
try opening a couple of ragnarok clients. one usually patches fine for me. i open 10-20 clients and there's always one that patches fine.

#62 Viri

Viri

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6295 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:05 AM

Did WP change their public IP address... recently?

#63 roselle27

roselle27

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:13 AM

Did WP change their public IP address... recently?

i'm not sure. why? For the last couple of days, i can't access WP and the forums sometimes.
i get an urlseek.20.vmn error. that goes for my other computer too so it can't be my pc.

#64 Pawan

Pawan

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:31 AM

My WP site is opening fine. I get error when i try to open "Power up" tab, 95% of the time it says "Payment Error". LOL, I dont know why that is, i never did any transactions with WP.
BUt thats getting off the topic.
My client problemsa started after i reinstalled my iRO.
I tried restoring my system to a previous image, but it did not help.
I am getting real edgy as i am a kind of iRO addict.

#65 roselle27

roselle27

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:43 AM

My WP site is opening fine. I get error when i try to open "Power up" tab, 95% of the time it says "Payment Error". LOL, I dont know why that is, i never did any transactions with WP.
BUt thats getting off the topic.
My client problemsa started after i reinstalled my iRO.
I tried restoring my system to a previous image, but it did not help.
I am getting real edgy as i am a kind of iRO addict.

same here. but when i had the problem, that's when i reinstalled my client thinking that it might fix it. It didn't so now im still trying to figure out what's really causing this. i thought it was the ISP but then i found out that u don't have comcast.

Edited by roselle27, 11 October 2012 - 06:45 AM.

#66 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:45 AM

Please send in connection tracert reports and PM me with the ticket number please. It does look like a conflict, but we need more information to send to our tech boys.

#67 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

Just talked a comcast using guildie through this. X_x

#68 Pawan

Pawan

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

Please remind me how to perform a tracert.
Ticket number as in? The one where i reported to WP? I did not do that, as seeing this forum, they aren't any help!
This is the image of my client with error:
Posted Image
The same as the other user's.

#69 Lynex

Lynex

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:56 AM

I feel like I should speak up once more in this thread.

*Ahem*

urlseek.20.vmn is malware!!

So, either your AV is utter tripe, or you prefer to use IE to do all of your surfing, which is a horrible idea as IE is the WORST browser out there.

Download and run Combofix.exe I use this program all the time at work, its a serious malware/spyware/ransomware remover.

Download and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Make sure you have it do a FULL scan when you run it.

Also, if you have PDForge installed on your computer, this is the source of your problem. UNINSTALL IT.

After all of that is said and done, download and install either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. DON'T EVER GO BACK TO IE.

Edited by Lynex, 11 October 2012 - 07:59 AM.

#70 Pawan

Pawan

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

I do not get urlseek.20.vnm as the response to browsing for ropatch.gravityus.com
Instead i get
Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to ropatch2.gravityus.com

Suggestions:And i use Chrome for surfing.

What is a PDForge?

Edited by Pawan, 11 October 2012 - 08:25 AM.

#71 Pawan

Pawan

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

I ran Combofix, but it did not fix the problem. Is it safe to upload its report here?

#72 Lynex

Lynex

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

You're having a completely different problem. Sorry, my post was not meant for you.

How To Tracert :

Click on your Start Menu > Click on Run...

In the window that pops up type:
CMD

In the black window that pops up, type:
tracert ropatch.gravityus.com > c:\ROtracert.txt

After it has ran, go to where that txt file has been created and paste whats inside of it in your post.

Edited by Lynex, 11 October 2012 - 09:06 AM.

#73 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

It sounds like you are connecting from a university, one that does not want you connecting to game servers from your PC. If there are computer labs/lan cafes or somesuch nearby or on campus you might want to try downloading from those, or having a friend or family member download it for you and put it onto a CD or USB drive.

#74 Pawan

Pawan

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

I ran the tracert, here is the report:

C:\>tracert warpportal.com

Tracing route to warpportal.com [128.241.93.57]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 6 ms 7 ms 1 ms 192.168.152.1
2 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.5.20
3 4 ms 6 ms 4 ms 117.211.90.153
4 7 ms 5 ms 5 ms 10.81.248.206
5 188 ms 188 ms 188 ms so-6-0-2.edge1.London1.Level3.net [212.113.12.29
]
6 249 ms 228 ms 231 ms ae-11-51.car1.London1.Level3.net [4.69.139.66]
7 181 ms 181 ms 182 ms xe-0-1-0-6.r02.londen03.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.2
50.8.137]
8 181 ms 213 ms 201 ms ae-4.r22.londen03.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.5.2
4]
9 255 ms 255 ms 256 ms as-0.r22.nycmny01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.3.2
54]
10 256 ms 265 ms 258 ms ae-0.r23.nycmny01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.3.7
3]
11 271 ms 271 ms 294 ms ae-1.r20.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.9
]
12 310 ms 309 ms 310 ms ae-2.r21.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.3.5
5]
13 308 ms 303 ms 311 ms ae-2.r05.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.5.8
6]
14 311 ms 320 ms 317 ms xe-0-0-0-15.r05.lsanca03.us.ce.gin.ntt.net [198.
172.90.170]
15 337 ms 323 ms 312 ms portal.demarcation.gravityus.com [204.2.170.50]

16 304 ms 314 ms 311 ms web.warpportal.com [128.241.93.57]

Trace complete.

#75 Lynex

Lynex

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

No, thats just to warpportal itself. You need to check your tracert to
ropatch2.gravityus.com

Edited by Lynex, 11 October 2012 - 11:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users