WoE feedback : Portal Casting - Renewal Patch Notes - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

WoE feedback : Portal Casting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
268 replies to this topic

#1 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

Last week 10/9 we implemented a few checks that hopefully did not disrupt WoE on any server (renewal and classic both). These changes were attempts to stem some of the portal casting problems that have been a very long term community issue.

1st off, did anyone notice? If you were still getting portal recalled on then likely it did not work.

2nd off, is this even something that anyone actually wants fixed? I know there are many complaints when it is done to them when defending, but is it a scenario that guilds want removed from the "playbook" of WoE?

If someone is portal casting please do submit the replay with the time code we should be looking at (renewal) they are small and are great for allowing us to see what is happening.

#2 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

Of course it's something that needs to be fixed. =/ Portal casting of ANY skill shouldn't be allowed. It's not a 'play', it's a 'cheat'.

#3 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

Of course it's something that needs to be fixed. =/ Portal casting of ANY skill shouldn't be allowed. It's not a 'play', it's a 'cheat'.

I tend to agree with this, but I also realize that some of the more interesting play situations in many games have come from "unintended" sources. I do like having thoughtful discussions on what bothersome issues the players are having. I like it because it allows us to get more understanding of your wants and how you want to play the game. Mostly I want to know if the change had any effect at all or was it completely ineffective.

#4 cybernetic

cybernetic

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2300 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

Best idea would be to get rid of portals altogether!

#5 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

Well, I don't personally care about portal casting except recall.... unless it's some bs that requires a third party program to execute... i.e: targetted skills.

Dazzler GC etc are so meh.... I won't miss them or notice that they're gone either way.

#6 Kuropi

Kuropi

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 841 posts
  • LocationRight behind you.
  • Server:Valkyrie, Classic

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

The main issues with portal casting are the skills that you shouldn't be able to portal cast at all, I think. Targeted and ground target skills like Sacrifice and Magnetic Earth.

Personally, I didn't really see any portal casting last WoE, even in the videos I took, but our biggest enemies didn't come calling on our fort either, so it's hard to really say.

Edited by Kuropi, 12 October 2012 - 03:54 PM.

#7 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

In Renewal portal Howling and portal Stasis can completely incapacitate a precast. While it's not going to be 100% effective, it's still a pretty cheap 'tactic' to use.

#8 Hrishi

Hrishi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2365 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

Portal casting stuff like dazzler is mostly harmless. The biggest thing is portal casting skills that require a target (like Sacrifice) as some people have done in the past WoEs. You can't portal cast targettable skills without the use of a 3rd party program and those really make a big difference.

#9 Kuropi

Kuropi

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

In Renewal portal Howling and portal Stasis can completely incapacitate a precast. While it's not going to be 100% effective, it's still a pretty cheap 'tactic' to use.

While I realize it's still somewhat of an issue (I do still WoE on Valk) Howling has been nerfed enough that, unless you're really unlucky, and most of the guild fails to resist it, you should be able to weather it with an okay pre-cast. Haven't seen anybody portal stasis for ages now though.

#10 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Server:Valk

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

if you allow portal casting you will pretty much ruin woe i think and also ruin minstrals and wanderer duets because that would make Classical Pluck utterly useless. If skills can use used on top of it at portals then what is the point in using it at all?

Like ralis said portal casting any of those skills on top of recall changes that battle entirely. You need to get rid of that crap asap

#11 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

I guess it's worth noting that it has a much bigger impact on Renewal than classic - in terms of "legal" portal casting.

#12 meli

meli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2688 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

Innocent question but did anyone ever get permanently banned for portal casting, or 3rd party program use? (easily can tell when certain guilds use it, but nothing ever happens).

#13 Kuropi

Kuropi

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

if you allow portal casting you will pretty much ruin woe i think and also ruin minstrals and wanderer duets because that would make Classical Pluck utterly useless. If skills can use used on top of it at portals then what is the point in using it at all?

Like ralis said portal casting any of those skills on top of recall changes that battle entirely. You need to get rid of that crap asap

*coughstormblastcough* If you really want to make CP useful, then make the game detect that stupid item as a skill. It'll add a little strategy to a game that DESPERATELY needs some.

#14 Tofu

Tofu

Too Legit To Quit

• Public Security Section 9
  • 3287 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

I didn't notice any changes, but then again, nobody portal recalls on Ymir anymore lol.

Was the change to ALL skills? Or just recall? Because it looks like I can still portal cast skills in general. I'm not a recaller though, so I can't test it with that.

And portal casting can be removed in renewal BECAUSE there are counters to Classical Pluck, such as Storm Blast. You can't just have a level 45 alt Bard+Dancer CP at the front of the room and prevent 95% of players from entering.

#15 Inus

Inus

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

Valk woe is pretty funny because of portal casting... we all know that one guild that does it EVERY SINGLE WOE. Stasis and earth drive/ crazy vines all break precasts pretty easy when portal cast, not to mention recall. It shouldn't be tolerated at all.

#16 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Server:Valk

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

I wont name names, but there is a guild on valk that contantly portal casts as much as they possibly can. They attacked my guild one time and did it about 6-7 times before they were able to break through completely (if i remember correctly it was earth drive, statis, storm gust and recall).

#17 meli

meli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2688 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

That is why I wonder if anyone ever gets banned, even in the extremely obvious cases noone is punished.

#18 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

Here's a good example of what is considered a cheap shot:

Portal casting Leap as a Soul Linker Recaller to get to the back of an Emp room for Recall, despite the fact that there was Classical Pluck and a precast at the door.

*coughstormblastcough* If you really want to make CP useful, then make the game detect that stupid item as a skill. It'll add a little strategy to a game that DESPERATELY needs some.

That's what Sacrifice and/or Safety Wall are for.

Edited by GuardianTK, 12 October 2012 - 04:31 PM.

#19 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

yup

#20 JulianThanos

JulianThanos

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

facing a portal casting guild is as funny as facing a fighter on friggin steroids. It not involves skill or anything, its just a cheap move.

Also, almost every move ingame can be blocked or avoided. Portal cast cannot. If the message is "why not allow portal cast" then i retort with another question: "why not third party programs then?" I would love having auto pot and still play by the rules.

#21 DeathDealer

DeathDealer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 437 posts
  • LocationJefferson State

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

portal cloak is my friend but i would rather there not be portal casting of ANY skill including the guild skills...... But is this just for WoE castles or is it gonna be for pvm maps too?

#22 Kadnya

Kadnya

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:11 PM

I would vote for all skills to have portal casting dissabled. It is a war, and you should be able to fight it while the enemy is able to attack you too, not depend on the few seconds of immunity to magically appear dozens of fully buffed charas on your side, or uninterruptably sacrifice a party, or stop a whole wizline with an ME.

Also, I'm 90%~ sure that you don't require a 3rd program to portalcast targeted skills, since plenty of times I have portal casted KE on myself, and a few times Agi up on other players. But I'm also 90-something% sure that the people who wish to portal cast would still use 3rd programs as long as portal cast is possible, regardless if they are needed or not.

In the case of important portal casted skills, all the people involved should have some degree of punishment. What good does punishing an alt sage for a few days for portal ME would do? Punish the guild who benefited from this sage. Or a other cases like that.

Edited by Kadnya, 12 October 2012 - 07:13 PM.

#23 Aaronnn

Aaronnn

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

tldr

WoE 1 is awful, old, and outdated. Implement trans and WoE 2.0 - add WoE 1.0 god pieces to WoE 2.0 castles.

ez. waldo 4 prez

Edited by Aaronnn, 12 October 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#24 HansLowell

HansLowell

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Portal casting shouldn't be allowed it kind of destroy the challenge of putting a good strategy to break precast, you enter portal casting and the defense is already broke.

And such, only a minority of players use that abuse, and they get a really big advantage over majority, this is completely unfair.

#25 Ramen

Ramen

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1990 posts
  • LocationEientei

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

I portal cast pretty much every single WoE. Though in my case it's usually either Hide or Stealth. Frankly, I wouldn't feel like I had to portal cast stealth if it didn't have that horrendously long cast time. While I'm on the subject, why on earth does it require a cast time to go out of stealth?! It completely ruins the entire concept of the skill since EVERYONE knows exactly where you are immediately. I thought the footprints was supposed to be the balancing feature of that skill. >_>

Anyway, I'm completely against portal casting, period. Until it's completely disabled though, I'm going to keep doing it since the skills I use are pretty benign, not to mention everyone and their brother has a MP card, which means my "stealthing" around is useless anyway.

Which brings me to another topic. That really needs to be looked at right along with portal casting.

Slotted Middle Headgears
I have no problem with them. However, my problem is with the fact that they cannot be removed by any means in WoE outside of the player taking it off on their own accord. Now here's my question Heim. How do you know that a particular player actually has a Maya Purple carded headgear or not? Is there any way to check aside from them showing their equipment? To me, this is troublesome because anyone could easily use a 3rd party program to give them the Maya Purple card effect, and never even get caught. I mean seriously, how could anyone report them? There's no evidence.
This brings me to my point, which I made a few months ago. Please ask the development team to redesign Divest Helm and Full Divestment to remove ALL headgear slots. Maybe they don't have issues with 3rd party program users in Korea, but I certainly can't say the same for iRO, and we all know it's true.

You are very rightly looking to level the playing field in War of Emperium, and I think that taking this additional measure would go a long way toward leveling it even farther.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users