WoE feedback : Portal Casting - Page 3 - Renewal Patch Notes - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

WoE feedback : Portal Casting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
268 replies to this topic

#51 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:20 AM

Portal casted skills with a long enough cast time, e.g: recall, can be broken with spell breaker.

Renewal fix > get GMs to remove all fixed portion from spell breaker. Problem... MOSTLY solved. The rest of it would revolve around balancing bs skills like Suicide.

What worried me would be the enforcement of petty skills being casted. Dazzler, frost joke... these things are a giant waste of the GMs time. That is.. on classic. Renewal... yeah... you guys have worse stuff to content with.

As for leap, it only works if you can leap northward. That affects very very few castles in the final room. To counter it... afk something on the landing tile. You didn't see it coming? Well awareness is a strategy! I was portal casting backslide in the test WoEs, it's effective in about 4 castles total. The thing about that is, you should know your castle and know your enemy.

If any portal casting fix doesn't prevent the third party abuse it's pointless.

Oh and not that I support a lot of portal casted BS, but I do like portal hide/portal cloak, because that stuff should go through portals. It shouldn't require a change to the players state to progress from one room to another. That's the only defence I have of portal casts.

Edited by Xellie, 13 October 2012 - 03:21 AM.

#52 Sabaton

Sabaton

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 460 posts
  • LocationFrance
  • Server:Classic & Valkyrie

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:36 AM

Best idea would be to get rid of portals altogether!

Implement WoE 2.0 and you're done.

#53 xFireize

xFireize

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:42 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't know what a portal casting is? :(

Is it just casting on a portal? How exactly does a third party involve? I'd appreciate anyone who could explain it to me. :)

#54 meli

meli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2688 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:45 AM

Portal casting reffers to casting a skill as you go in a portal, and it goes off on the other side, while you're invulnerable. If it's a skill that requires to ground target, or target other players people use third party programs to bypass this need.

#55 Wiggles

Wiggles

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 844 posts
  • Server:Ymir (Retired)

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:02 AM

I like to portal cast teleport in pvm.

Normal teleport usage:
1. --- use teleport skill ---->
2. <-- show teleport window ---
3. --- select destination ---->
4. <-- teleport ---------------
5. --- finish loading -------->
6. wait for aspd delay
7. go to 1

"Portal casting" teleport:
1. --- use teleport skill ---->
2. <-- show teleport window ---
3. wait for aspd delay
4. --- select destination ---->
5. --- (quickly) use teleport skill -->
6. <-- teleport ---------------
7. --- finish loading -------->
8. <-- show teleport window (queued)
9. go to 3

WIth normal teleport, you are vulnerable the entire time between 1 and 4. I can usually teleport without taking damage (there's a short delay between "monster hits you" and "damage applied"), but because the process depends on several round trips between client and server, players with higher latency are penalized more and probably can't escape damage.

With portal casting, you stay immune to damage once you enter the loop at step 4. This makes it just like using fly wings and is hardly unbalancing in my opinion (the skill still consumes SP, of course). I would be sad if portal casting were indiscriminately removed.

This is probably the only case of "portal casting" (although no portal involved) that is useful and I feel is legitimate.

The newest version of server software that private servers use has blocked portal casting, it also blocks teleporting this way. However, to fix that, it made the teleport skill level toggle-able so that level 2 functions as it does now, and level 1 functions as a fly wing. Hopefully the same thing happens on iRO.

#56 Kate1011

Kate1011

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

both KRO and JRO all allaw protal skill, why here was banned?if a guild use classical plunk to defend, its hard to cover them expect u have many guys. Moreover, portal skill can bring more interesting

#57 Kate1011

Kate1011

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

and spell break is so easy to avoid any portal skill, just make more guys concentreate on those chars who stand without any move, portal skill is good strategy for this game

#58 Baturiano

Baturiano

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 3058 posts
  • LocationToronto Canada
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:34 AM

both KRO and JRO all allaw protal skill, why here was banned?if a guild use classical plunk to defend, its hard to cover them expect u have many guys. Moreover, portal skill can bring more interesting

thats part of the challenge. portal casting is a very cheap skill to use and defeats the purpose of the CP team. Simple strat would be hitting the performer classes. A GX can kill a wanderer in less than 2 seconds auto attacking so I dont see why you need portal casting.

#59 wasabee

wasabee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 687 posts
  • LocationDarkroom

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:41 AM

cuz iRo no same as kRO and jRo eventho they are came from same root..LOL..obviously portal casting is a cheat skill in iRO, we dun need a cheat skill to win a castle. Ur last phrase sounds like ur guild using portal recall since u said its more interesting while others are against that skill. Well, it just my thoughts, sorry for being harsh and for somehow ur name kinda familiar or it just me..*walks away*

#60 Akami

Akami

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1121 posts
  • LocationHell
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:52 AM

Do portal casted skills still work if there's a CP down on the other side?

#61 KiyokoHasami

KiyokoHasami

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 932 posts
  • LocationRelocated ---->Bio 4
  • Server:Chaos>Valkyrie>New Chaos

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:54 AM

Do portal casted skills still work if there's a CP down on the other side?

Yes, thats the whole point of everyone's rage unfortunately.

Edited by KiyokoHasami, 13 October 2012 - 07:59 AM.

#62 RennaSaintsworth

RennaSaintsworth

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1908 posts
  • LocationScarlet Devil Mansion

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

and spell break is so easy to avoid any portal skill, just make more guys concentreate on those chars who stand without any move, portal skill is good strategy for this game

Good strategy? Portal-Cast Leap too?

#63 Kate1011

Kate1011

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

then let sorcs use spell break except they dont have such a operating.... what a pity.. RO is a good game cuz teamwork and operating can make up the gap between god item mvp cards and normal ppl. (No name calling please)?! no god item no mvp win mvps

Edited by VolunteerMod05, 13 October 2012 - 09:06 AM.

#64 Kate1011

Kate1011

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

Good strategy? Portal-Cast Leap too?

OK i have 2 opinions for u, first let sorc watch the screen all the time second, dont stare during in woe or u can go to sleep so easy to avoid

#65 Baturiano

Baturiano

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 3058 posts
  • LocationToronto Canada

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

then let sorcs use spell break except they dont have such a operating.... what a pity.. RO is a good game cuz teamwork and operating can make up the gap between god item mvp cards and normal ppl. (No name calling please)?! no god item no mvp win mvps

/facepalm

Edited by VolunteerMod05, 13 October 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#66 RennaSaintsworth

RennaSaintsworth

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1908 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

then let sorcs use spell break except they dont have such a operating.... what a pity.. RO is a good game cuz teamwork and operating can make up the gap between god item mvp cards and normal ppl. (No calling out names please)?! no god item no mvp win mvps

Posted Image
How to Spell Breaker if :
1. A Warlock portal-casted Stasis
2. Portal-casted Leap to the middle of Emperium and Recalled

Edited by VolunteerMod05, 13 October 2012 - 09:02 AM.

#67 wasabee

wasabee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 687 posts
  • LocationDarkroom

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

then let sorcs use spell break except they dont have such a operating.... what a pity.. RO is a good game cuz teamwork and operating can make up the gap between god item mvp cards and normal ppl. Look at MP, why they can easily defeat opc?! no god item no mvp win mvps

i agreed with renna
this is just what i thought that u are one of em, its so true :p_swt: :p_swt: :p_swt:

Edited by wasabee, 13 October 2012 - 08:12 AM.

#68 asayuu

asayuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2762 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

Implement WoE 2.0 and you're done.

And people portal cast in 2.0 too, because they are too... yeah that. To play fair.

#69 meli

meli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2688 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:11 AM

Rofl, sorry but such a loser strategy, oh boo hoo we don't have mvp cards better cheat 2 win! way to embarrass yourself.

Edit, you can't spell break something that doesn't have a cast, when you portal cast it simply goes off on the other side. Cheat less and learn to counter other players legitimately <3

Edited by meli, 13 October 2012 - 08:13 AM.

#70 Ramen

Ramen

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1990 posts
  • LocationEientei
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:11 AM

I'm about 99% sure you cannot spell break someone who is portal casting because they are in the immunity period until they move, and because the casting of the skill technically took place before they went through the portal, casting the skill does not remove their immunity period.

#71 Kate1011

Kate1011

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

Posted Image
How to Spell Breaker if :
1. A Warlock portal-casted Stasis
2. Portal-casted Leap to the middle of Emperium and Recalled

Any portal skill all need casting time just when they stand, let sorc look at every WL and spelll for them ur good guild so i think u can do that

#72 RennaSaintsworth

RennaSaintsworth

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1908 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

I'm about 99% sure you cannot spell break someone who is portal casting because they are in the immunity period until they move, and because the casting of the skill technically took place before they went through the portal, casting the skill does not remove their immunity period.

They got 3 second immune after entering a portal yes. One more reason we can't SPELL BREAKER to those people. Plus, some portal-casted skills are almost instant cast. Eg : Stasis, Diamond Dust, Earth Drive, Suicidal Destruction.

#73 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

Incorrect, this is how we have always dealt with portal recall. It works.

Just like you can spell break in town ;)

#74 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

Rofl, sorry but such a loser strategy, oh boo hoo we don't have mvp cards better cheat 2 win! way to embarrass yourself.

Edit, you can't spell break something that doesn't have a cast, when you portal cast it simply goes off on the other side. Cheat less and learn to counter other players legitimately <3

You are wrong. You can spell break a portal casted skill that has a long enough cast time.

#75 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Server:Valk

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

i just dont understand why ppl arent understanding why portal casting is something wrong to do...if you feel like you cant compete then do something legal about it...go out and get members, hunt some mvps, etc. For years my guild has always been underdogs, but never has anyone ever suggested or actually done portal casting cause they all know better and believe it is a cheap tactic (if you even want to call it that).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users