• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Chesticals

Chesticals

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:08 PM

So I've found out that the new bear thing is going to be replacing Bruce Lee/Chuck Norris or whoever that's supposed to be, but I've also discovered that the bear doesn't seem to launch like the old one did.

How would gladiators launch people then? They only have their horrendously slow wrath of earth, their Up+X, their Dash+Up+X, and their Cutdown (at least those are the ones I still remember). All those launches seem pretty awful, so I think it would be a good idea to make the new bears launch too.

#2 Hawly

Hawly

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 784 posts
  • LocationSaint Mary - RS, Brazil

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:20 PM

So I've found out that the new bear thing is going to be replacing Bruce Lee/Chuck Norris or whoever that's supposed to be, but I've also discovered that the bear doesn't seem to launch like the old one did.

How would gladiators launch people then? They only have their horrendously slow wrath of earth, their Up+X, their Dash+Up+X, and their Cutdown (at least those are the ones I still remember). All those launches seem pretty awful, so I think it would be a good idea to make the new bears launch too.

The kicking bear will work like Arrow Shower (Hunter skill), flinching people. And the Incoming Bear! will make people fall, so you can engage Storm Blade with that. A possible combo would be SD > IGB > Stumble > IB > Storm Blade.

#3 Chesticals

Chesticals

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:11 PM

That's so gay... then my combo won't work if they don't both launch.

#4 Kimimaro

Kimimaro

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:57 PM

That's so gay... then my combo won't work if they don't both launch.

Incoming still launches; just not as high as before.

#5 Hector14

Hector14

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • LocationHell
  • Playing:Dragon Saga
  • Server:All of them

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:19 PM

The bear skill is in this video.

So it looks like it doesn't launch...

Edit: Or maybe his bear skills are too low leveled to launch...

Edited by Hector14, 09 October 2010 - 05:22 PM.

#6 iKnowMyABCs

iKnowMyABCs

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1207 posts
  • LocationAway from home.
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:22 PM

The bear skill is in this video.

So it looks like it doesn't launch...

Please read

#7 Hector14

Hector14

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:35 PM

Please read

I did read, I just watched the video and the bear didn't make much of a launch. :angry:

#8 iKnowMyABCs

iKnowMyABCs

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1207 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:36 PM

I did read, I just watched the video and the bear didn't make much of a launch. :angry:

I still don't think you read

this part.

It launches but doesn't launch high.

#9 Hector14

Hector14

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:41 PM

I still don't think you read

this part.

It launches but doesn't launch high.

Didn't make much of a launch=I know it launched, but you just can't see the launch.

#10 iKnowMyABCs

iKnowMyABCs

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1207 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:42 PM

Didn't make much of a launch=I know it launched, but you just can't see the launch.

Where are you getting at.

#11 Hector14

Hector14

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:45 PM

Where are you getting at?

-sigh- Nevermind, it launched, that's what were aiming for, period.

#12 Bullie

Bullie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • Server:Vyvern

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:57 PM

This was most likely implemented because with using the skills in unison the monster would get an even higher launch height which is in my opinion unnecessary. And, in many cases Incoming was glitched activating the launch seconds after the bear finished kicking.

#13 ApeKing

ApeKing

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:32 PM

This was most likely implemented because with using the skills in unison the monster would get an even higher launch height which is in my opinion unnecessary. And, in many cases Incoming was glitched activating the launch seconds after the bear finished kicking.

I highly doubt this is the reason it was changed. The extra launch had neither a detrimental or positive effect in either PvP or PvE. Barunson has made a lot of poor and unfounded decisions, and this one is probably no different.

And they didn't just remove the launch (The launch it does now is so small its not even worth mentioning. Its more like being knocked over), the width range of it was lowered. I cant exactly prove this, but from what I have played on IAH/GP it's actually harder to hit with them. I have had Incoming Bear! go right through mobs who were just BARELY above or below it and some who were right in front. While some of those can be attributed to lag not all of them can. And I'm Gone Bear/Bro! acted odd before the change. Back in early beta it launched as soon as the attack animation finished, but after a few patches lag affected it. It would sometimes take as much as 2 seconds for the target to launch after the animation ended.

The bro skills are now arguably useless. At the very least they are not as useful as they ever were. Much less so in fact. As a Myrm before THQ closed down, Incoming Bro! was my main launcher and the only decent one they get (aside from Cutdown and Level 2 Wyyvern Blade. But Cutdown is inconvenient use, and WB has 10 second CD. Not to mention it doesn't launch till level 2.) The skill is not very useful in PvP now, as the supposed stun its supposed to because is broken (and is supposed ot be removed altogether in the future). As in it half the time doesn't work (same with IB) IN PvP it the knockdown can be rolled out of.

I hope the staff will look into this. They seem to be on our side, and I'm thankful for that.

Edited by ApeKing, 16 October 2010 - 11:34 PM.

#14 chicano714

chicano714

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationTustin

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:10 PM

i think that the bears are worser than the bros . its just better to bring back the bros , cause the bros launched better than the bears RETURN THE BROS!! DX also i rather hear the bros screem than the bears roar idk im just better using the bros rather than the bears :P

#15 ApeKing

ApeKing

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:45 PM

i think that the bears are worser than the bros . its just better to bring back the bros , cause the bros launched better than the bears RETURN THE BROS!! DX also i rather hear the bros screem than the bears roar idk im just better using the bros rather than the bears :P

They are basically the same other then no launch and aesthetically. Originally they WERE bears but were reskinned for the English versions. I like Pong. He;s a fricken Kung Fu BEAR.

#16 DirtyClaw

DirtyClaw

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:51 PM

I highly doubt this is the reason it was changed. The extra launch had neither a detrimental or positive effect in either PvP or PvE. Barunson has made a lot of poor and unfounded decisions, and this one is probably no different.

And they didn't just remove the launch (The launch it does now is so small its not even worth mentioning. Its more like being knocked over), the width range of it was lowered. I cant exactly prove this, but from what I have played on IAH/GP it's actually harder to hit with them. I have had Incoming Bear! go right through mobs who were just BARELY above or below it and some who were right in front. While some of those can be attributed to lag not all of them can. And I'm Gone Bear/Bro! acted odd before the change. Back in early beta it launched as soon as the attack animation finished, but after a few patches lag affected it. It would sometimes take as much as 2 seconds for the target to launch after the animation ended.

The bro skills are now arguably useless. At the very least they are not as useful as they ever were. Much less so in fact. As a Myrm before THQ closed down, Incoming Bro! was my main launcher and the only decent one they get (aside from Cutdown and Level 2 Wyyvern Blade. But Cutdown is inconvenient use, and WB has 10 second CD. Not to mention it doesn't launch till level 2.) The skill is not very useful in PvP now, as the supposed stun its supposed to because is broken (and is supposed ot be removed altogether in the future). As in it half the time doesn't work (same with IB) IN PvP it the knockdown can be rolled out of.

I hope the staff will look into this. They seem to be on our side, and I'm thankful for that.

Sorry uh, the "launch" still works and is far from useless. You can easily chain storm blade after it, wyvern, death grab, etc. And the width was actually enlargened for one(8 hits), if not both of them. The 8 hit one is now used as filler damage mostly, or when you get close. Then you can SD right after and start your combo. The 2/3 hit one is quick so alot of people don't predict it and end up failing the roll, which lets you dash in, use the 8 hit, and SD them when it hits while they get up. Personally, I find that they're alot more useful postpatch, especially in unison with the Destroyer(Overlord) skill(s).

Edited by DirtyClaw, 19 October 2010 - 09:51 PM.

#17 Chesticals

Chesticals

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:25 PM

Sorry uh, the "launch" still works and is far from useless. You can easily chain storm blade after it, wyvern, death grab, etc. And the width was actually enlargened for one(8 hits), if not both of them. The 8 hit one is now used as filler damage mostly, or when you get close. Then you can SD right after and start your combo. The 2/3 hit one is quick so alot of people don't predict it and end up failing the roll, which lets you dash in, use the 8 hit, and SD them when it hits while they get up. Personally, I find that they're alot more useful postpatch, especially in unison with the Destroyer(Overlord) skill(s).

I'm going to go ahead and assume you mostly PvP against noobs then.

#18 DirtyClaw

DirtyClaw

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:31 PM

I'm going to go ahead and assume you mostly PvP against noobs then.

I know you mostly PvP against noobs.

It works; try it. Obviously it's not going to work everytime. Oh and what would you know about it chaining with Myrmidon/Overlord skills? Sorry but I'm speaking from an endgame perspective, not level 30. Not like you're screwed that much in level 30 with the changes, since the Aquatic/new weapons are overpowered in level 30 for warrior classes.

#19 ApeKing

ApeKing

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:00 PM

It dosn't launch. It knocks them down. They just happen to be airborne (about a pixel high) before falling over. Yes you can still catch them with Sword Storm, but its not as easy as it was. Especially with heavy and upgraded mobs as they won't go higher than the initial "launch". They were fine the way they were and had no reason to change them.

And I haven't noticed ANY increase in width. It feels SMALLER.

Edited by ApeKing, 21 October 2010 - 09:01 PM.

#20 DirtyClaw

DirtyClaw

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:08 PM

There's a reason why I put it in quotes. It's still insanely easy to chain stormblade after it, and the lower height allows you to chain destroyer combos into it. If it was the old launch, certain combos would not work anymore. Anyways, it actually launches higher on "heavy" mobs as opposed to regular mobs. All launches/knockdowns will launch heavy mobs to the same height.

But it isn't.

#21 ApeKing

ApeKing

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:15 AM

There's a reason why I put it in quotes. It's still insanely easy to chain stormblade after it, and the lower height allows you to chain destroyer combos into it. If it was the old launch, certain combos would not work anymore. Anyways, it actually launches higher on "heavy" mobs as opposed to regular mobs. All launches/knockdowns will launch heavy mobs to the same height.

But it isn't.

Then explain to me why Razor Crabs on my Glad barely leave the ground during Sword Storm...

#22 DirtyClaw

DirtyClaw

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:29 AM

Alright look, the new "heavy" mobs can only launch by the initial hit. Any hits in the air only SLIGHTLY boosts it up, meaning... only fast AAS can push them up. Stomblade will only delay the fall, since the hits aren't rapid enough to boost it upwards. It's the same thing with every launcher, except maybe ambush or aerial kick. Those two MIGHT launch slightly higher since they're multiple hits. If you ever wyvernbladed a "heavy mob," you wouldn't be able to get more than 1-2 hits off unless your wyvern can hit fallen.

#23 ApeKing

ApeKing

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:03 PM

Alright look, the new "heavy" mobs can only launch by the initial hit. Any hits in the air only SLIGHTLY boosts it up, meaning... only fast AAS can push them up. Stomblade will only delay the fall, since the hits aren't rapid enough to boost it upwards. It's the same thing with every launcher, except maybe ambush or aerial kick. Those two MIGHT launch slightly higher since they're multiple hits. If you ever wyvernbladed a "heavy mob," you wouldn't be able to get more than 1-2 hits off unless your wyvern can hit fallen.

That makes a bit more sense. And I'm KIND OF getting used to the new bears. I still dont like it but I can live with it if need be.

#24 Kazra

Kazra

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:20 PM

You'll be glad that the 2/3 hit one knocks down/launch instead of the old height once you're an Overlord.

#25 ApeKing

ApeKing

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:32 PM

You'll be glad that the 2/3 hit one knocks down/launch instead of the old height once you're an Overlord.

I didn't understand this point actually. I thought the Overlord skills were mostly bad except for Stinger. (and grab if you PvP) How many times does Stinger hit anyway?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users