[ 10/1 - 10/7 ] Weekly Ralis Conundrum! #7: Pyramid Scheme - Conundrum event archive - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

[ 10/1 - 10/7 ] Weekly Ralis Conundrum! #7: Pyramid Scheme

43 replies to this topic

#1 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Classic

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:41 PM

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngThe Ralis ConundrumSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

School is starting up again, and that means it's time to get your brain back in shape!

Every Wednesday, at some varying point of the day, I'll be posting some sort of weekly challenge for you to figure out. Each week brings a new puzzle: it may be a math problem, a riddle or something else entirely. Whatever it may be, you'll have to use a little (or a lot of) brain power to figure it out.

These puzzles may require knowledge outside of Ragnarok! Anyone is capable of finding the answer, but I cannot guarantee you will always know what to do if you have little to no understanding of Ragnarok, computers, math, science, etc.

The competition is open to both servers! Chaos Renewal and Classic Loki players may both enter their answers. It may help you to know, then, that the answer to each challenge will be something that can be found by players of both servers.

Correct answers may win a prize at the end of the week. However, only a certain number of prizes can be given out and all correct answers are entered into the prize pool. Please do not try and use multiple accounts to get better odds! We check IPs and account connections. If you're caught doing this, you will be automatically disqualified from present and future competitions... Including OTHER events on the forums as well.

Please keep in mind that the theme for each week is not always a factor in figuring out the puzzle. This does not mean that it will never have an impact, but rather that you should not assume that you must travel to a location or that the answer must fit the theme given in that week's conundrum.

Please do not post or PM your answers. Use the link below the challenge to submit answers!

You may freely adjust your entry until each week's deadline.

Helpful links:

iRO Wiki

iRO Wiki Renewal Database

iRO Wiki Classic Database

Google

I don't consider search engines cheating. You will never find the answer directly, but always use your resources!

Please do not ask questions related to this week's challenge on the forums. Questions regarding the competition as a whole are fine, but we want to avoid any hints or answers being posted directly on the forums!

PoringDivider.png

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngThis Week's ChallengeSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

Week 7: Pyramid Scheme [ 10/1 - 10/7 ]

Pyramid_zps73374e96.png

Somewhere in the Morroc Desert is a magical pyramid. Resting atop its peak is a beautiful gemstone, said to be worth billions of zeny. Members of the Rogue Guild have been trying to plunder the artifact for years, but always fall short... For you see, the pyramid grows larger and larger every few days. Through various failed attempts to find an entrance into the pyramid, the Rogue Guild knows that the pyramid is completely solid with no hollow areas or missing brick. The tip of the pyramid has 1 brick, the supporting layer under that has 4 bricks, under that 9, etc.. Eventually, it was discovered that each brick of the four-sided pyramid corresponds to a post on the official WarpPortal forums, and, as adventurers post on the forums and enough bricks are created to form a complete layer, the pyramid rises up from the sand and grows by exactly 45 centimeters. What causes this amazing occurrence? Who in their right mind would use forum posts to create bricks for a magical pyramid? Who cares! There's treasure!

Anyway, the Rogue Guild has commissioned your help in finding out the height of the pyramid so that they can build a ladder to reach the top and steal the gem. Of course, Rogues are also very thrifty people and they don't want to make the ladder any taller than it needs to be.

If the angle between the ground and the pyramid's face is 40°, how tall does the ladder need to be to reach the pyramid's tip if it is leaned against the side of the pyramid? Round to the nearest whole centimeter.

Assume that the ladder will not sink into the sand (even though I bet it totally will) and that the Rogue Guild will be placing the ladder exactly in the middle of one of the four sides of the pyramid.

(Please keep in mind that you may need to edit your answer if that pesky pyramid grows sometime during the course of this week's puzzle)

Disclaimer: Edits for 10/1:

Edited a few lines for clarification: it doesn't matter that the bricks are square / identical, and in fact I guess it makes it more confusing. Instead I gave you the number of bricks in the top three layers of the pyramid: 1, 4 and 9. I also removed the perpendicular to the base part because it's redundant if the ladder is already in the center of one of the four sides.

Here's a (hopefully) helpful diagram for those of you that are still confused by the wording:

PyramidImage_zps7428b9e4.png

Click Here To Submit Your Answer

This week's prize:

MCA_zps4dbcd43e.png

Mystical Card Album

The competition ends Tuesday, October 7th at 11:59 PM PST! Good luck!

PoringDivider.png

Edited by Ralis, 01 October 2014 - 09:56 AM.

#2 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:55 PM

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngLast Week's ChallengeSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

Week 6: Where in the World [ 9/24 - 9/30 ]

VarmundtsWorldMap_zpsdf357016.png

Always trying to compete with the Kafra Corp., Rekenber scientists have been hard at work perfecting a new form of teleporting technology.

The original inventor, the famous Sage Varmundt, created the machine using a specific world map (the original of which can be found by clicking the copy above. Rekenber strongly advises against using copies for research purposes as it will likely lead to displaced teleports). Before he mysteriously vanished, he gave his fellow researchers several strings of numbers that would teleport the user to various parts of Rune-Midgarts if entered into the machine's computer. For example:

295215 = Prontera
31410 = Hugel
382328 = Alberta
66195 = Veins

(Rekenber strongly advises against entering in your own numbers after 420199 sent a researcher to the middle of the ocean and 268299 stranded another somewhere in the Morroc desert)

Where would you be teleported to if you typed in 150175? Answer in the form of a map name. Example: gef_fild00

Last week's prize:

BMx3_zpsdb689546.png

10 Battle Manual X3s

PoringDivider.png

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngThe SolutionSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

The answer is glast_01 (though I accepted Glast_01 as well).

The strings of numbers represented pixels coordinates on the full-sized version of the map supplied on the answer page.

PixelPerfect_zps57214ea7.png

This puzzle was easiest done using a program like MS Paint.

Hovering over 295px, 215px, for example, would put your cursor over the center of Prontera.

If you wanted to go old school and do the puzzle without any programs, you still had a chance by looking at the image properties to find the height and width in pixels. 150px is 1/3 of the way across the map and 175px is just barely under halfway down it, which would also land you at the same location: the middle of Glast Heim, also known as glast_01.

Too easy, too easy... 66 correct answers this week. The winners, chosen randomly by survey number, were:

Trance3D2Y, kBrunoR, Necrohealiac, Kevin and 1392140604170018137 (aka Raula)!

Congratulations!

Please check your mail or inventory on the character you listed on the answer page for your prize. Please give Oda until next week's maintenance to deliver prizes!

PoringDivider.png

Edited by Ralis, 30 September 2014 - 10:19 PM.

#3 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:03 PM

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngThis Week's BirthdaysSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

Happy Birthday to the Following Players:

01 Chicboy
03 Kiryu
03 kerly
04 ExValkyrie
04 Atha
04 Opethian
05 ikeren
05 Ali0510
06 Ricxtov
06 Chowyenphat
06 st4rw4lk3r

PoringDivider.png

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngArchivesSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

Week 6: Where in the World [ 9/24 - 9/30 ]

Week 5: Trouble With Tiles [ 9/17 - 9/23 ]

Week 4: A Colorful Conundrum [ 9/10 - 9/16 ]

Week 3: Unlock the Safe [ 9/3 - 9/9 ]

Week 2: As The Kasa Flies [ 8/27 - 9/2 ]

Week 1: Mystery Picture [ 8/20 - 8/26 ]

PoringDivider.png

Edited by Ralis, 30 September 2014 - 10:06 PM.

#4 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:13 PM

New week, new puzzle~ Please let me know if you find any mistakes / typos / what not.

#5 Pocky

Pocky

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:20 PM

I forgot to pray to rngeesus today

#6 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:23 PM

You were close, actually. The last winner was one number down from you... And I completely thought it was yours at first.

#7 spikexp

spikexp

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 2181 posts
  • Server:Chaotic

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:23 PM

Ticks me off when I lost yet again because of RNG.

#8 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:27 PM

I wish we could give stuff to everyone that gets it right but... That's a lot of prizes. @@

This one should be a little more challenging. I hope.

If not, next week's is going to be ridiculous.

Edited by Ralis, 30 September 2014 - 10:27 PM.

#9 darkabe

darkabe

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:55 PM

Those rogues will get billions of zeny and they reward us with an MCA? D:

#10 renouille

renouille

Too Legit To Quit

• Public Security Section 9
  • 2448 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Server:retired

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:10 PM

What's a square brick?

#11 Trance3D2Y

Trance3D2Y

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:15 PM

Ohh, thanks in advance. With those BMX3s, I can probably have my 2nd lvl 150 char. ^_^

#12 Saffire

Saffire

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:40 AM

Can I ask for clarification on this? :)

"a post on the official WarpPortal forums"

meaning this entire forum right: http://forums.warpportal.com/

Consisting of all the different threads regardless which game it's about or only the ragnarok ones?

#13 mark2000

mark2000

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:18 AM

I'm still not receiving the dulhalan egg, when can i get it?

#14 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:08 AM

A square brick is... Umm... So that you know it's the same pattern for each layer rather than them being rectangular or something? Heim's suggestion.

All threads. All posts. That's why I worded it that way.

Mark, check after maintenance.

Edited a few lines for clarification: it doesn't matter that the bricks are square / identical, and in fact I guess it makes it more confusing. Instead I gave you the number of bricks in the top three layers of the pyramid: 1, 4 and 9.

I also removed the perpendicular to the base part because it's redundant if the ladder is already in the center of one of the four sides.

Edited by Ralis, 01 October 2014 - 07:24 AM.

#15 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:28 AM

A square brick is... Umm... So that you know it's the same pattern for each layer rather than them being rectangular or something? Heim's suggestion.

All threads. All posts. That's why I worded it that way.

Mark, check after maintenance.

Edited a few lines for clarification: it doesn't matter that the bricks are square / identical, and in fact I guess it makes it more confusing. Instead I gave you the number of bricks in the top three layers of the pyramid: 1, 4 and 9.

I also removed the perpendicular to the base part because it's redundant if the ladder is already in the center of one of the four sides.

i was confused about the perpendicular statement; if the ladder is perpendicular to the base, how could it be leaning against the pyramid, unless it was actually a cube?

#16 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:30 AM

Yep, that's why it got removed. I think I'M overthinking things at this point now. I didn't want people to be like "well it could be slightly lopsided or askew"... But I think the part about it being exactly in the middle is enough for that one.

#17 neko1231

neko1231

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:40 AM

Sorry for my poor English, what does ' pyramid rises at a constant 40° slope' mean?

The face and horizontal base has a 40° angle?

OR The edge and horizontal base has a 40° angle? (quote: That angle is formed by the horizontal line joining a corner of the pyramid to the center and the edge joining that corner to the apex.)

I don't use '°' for the word slope...

Edited by neko1231, 01 October 2014 - 08:47 AM.

#18 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:05 AM

It means between the ground and the way the pyramid rises up towards the center, there's a 40 degree angle.

#19 neko1231

neko1231

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:13 AM

It means between the ground and the way the pyramid rises up towards the center, there's a 40 degree angle.

Emm....Then i guess you mean the face angle....... :thx:

#20 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:24 AM

"If the angle between the ground and the pyramid's face is 40°"

Does that help?

#21 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:44 AM

Here:

PyramidImage_zps7428b9e4.png

For those that are confused about the wording, hopefully this will help. It's like you cut the pyramid in half and are looking at the part where the ladder will be going up.

Edited by Ralis, 01 October 2014 - 10:04 AM.

#22 spikexp

spikexp

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 2181 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:39 AM

Got the answer but in case of a jerk spams the forum I'll have to rewrite my answer so I'll just save the calculator for now :P

*actually made a simple program just to calculate the answer* /desp

#23 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:40 AM

Got the answer but in case of a jerk spams the forum I'll have to rewrite my answer so I'll just save the calculator for now :P

*actually made a simple program just to calculate the answer* /desp

can i interest you in some black magic or love potions?

#24 spikexp

spikexp

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 2181 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:54 AM

can i interest you in some black magic or love potions?

if by black magic or love potions you mean a couple of KK cards or +12 thingies then yes you can interest me /meh

besides, you'll still have to go thru the wall of rng so what's the difference :V (well, you made it but still...!)

#25 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:01 AM

unlike pocky i made my sacrifice to rngeesus last night.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users