Valentine's Day Loading Screen Contest! :V - Page 2 - Creative Archive Goldmine - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Valentine's Day Loading Screen Contest! :V

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
243 replies to this topic

#26 ROCKheir

ROCKheir

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1488 posts
  • Locationhttps://www.artstation.com/rockheir
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:55 PM

So what's gonna become of this art contest? Do the participants get to choose which theme they'd go for or will they be compelled to incorporate both themes in one artwork?

#27 Akreis

Akreis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1232 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos/Loki/Thor

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:04 PM

So what's gonna become of this art contest? Do the participants get to choose which theme they'd go for or will they be compelled to incorporate both themes in one artwork?

Either, or

As for winners, I would have to discuss that with Oda and see what he wants to do. But first, we'll see how the submissions go!

Edited by Akreis, 05 January 2016 - 08:06 PM.

#28 ROCKheir

ROCKheir

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1488 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:04 PM

Aight. Fair enough. /no1

BTW, would it be permissible to submit two entries, one for valentines and one for lunar new year theme?

Edited by ROCKheir, 05 January 2016 - 10:06 PM.

#29 kokeshicat

kokeshicat

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 886 posts
  • LocationCamp Half-Blood
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:42 PM

traditional art also can join the loading screen ? :)

woo you go sistah :lv: 

#30 Akreis

Akreis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1232 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:52 PM

Aight. Fair enough. /no1

BTW, would it be permissible to submit two entries, one for valentines and one for lunar new year theme?

I would have to ask Oda about that as well (in terms of selecting and usage ingame), since he's the one in charge of handling the screenloaders and judging and whatnot. We've never had a dual themed contest before as far as I can remember.

But since Fier suggested it--
*gets interrupted by a bird trying to climb my arm and snuggle me as I type* I think it would be cool to have both themes available for everyone, and to give respect to the (for a lack of a better term?) cultural traditions and to those who do celebrate it. totally didn't forget about the lunar new year as I was thinking of a theme for this cough

However, I personally think it's fine overall, especially since there's no rule against ever submitting more than one in the previous contests (though both wouldn't be eligible to win at the same time, just to make it fair with everyone else).

#31 ROCKheir

ROCKheir

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1488 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:41 AM

However, I personally think it's fine overall, especially since there's no rule against ever submitting more than one in the previous contests (though both wouldn't be eligible to win at the same time, just to make it fair with everyone else).

Hm, then it wouldn't make sense to submit two.

Question: Will the loading screens for both themes be implemented at the same time? Coz I was thinking, the best time this contest for lunar new year should've been held was December so that the selected entries are implemented by january then this valentines day held this january for the selected entries to be implemented this coming february. Implementing both at the same time would seem, at least to me, incongruous. Just my two cents.

Edited by ROCKheir, 06 January 2016 - 01:45 AM.

#32 WarlockFier

WarlockFier

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Server:Silph Road

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:25 AM

In the past Valentines Day loading screen contest it has always collided with Lunar New Year. Unfortunately it didn't seems like it was made an official theme but some artists still drew Lunar New Year related subject along side with Valentines to celebrate both events. Imo artists should only be limited to one winning slot per event, this is so other people gets a chance at a slot too and not everyone can do two arts during the period of the art contest. It also encourage people to focus more time on one piece than do quick arts. It's only fair.

Lunar New Year falls on the 8th of February 2016 while Valentines is on the 14th, both celebration is cutting too close.

Edited by WarlockFier, 06 January 2016 - 08:46 AM.

#33 ROCKheir

ROCKheir

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1488 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:44 AM

Yer right, only one winning slot per event is Fier Fair. xD The reason why I did ask for the possibility of submitting two entries is because the existence of two themes (which I encountered for the first time) made it seem to me that this is a two-category contest. But since you pointed out that this is intended to be just a one-category that gives artists freedom to choose which of the two themes or to combine both in creating an art, then I've no qualms about it.

Not really acquainted with the Lunar New Year. The only thing I know is it's a new year so I immediately associated it with January. If you'd excuse my ignorance, milady.

Edited by ROCKheir, 06 January 2016 - 09:47 AM.

#34 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:46 AM

I would have to ask Oda about that as well (in terms of selecting and usage ingame), since he's the one in charge of handling the screenloaders and judging and whatnot. We've never had a dual themed contest before as far as I can remember.

But since Fier suggested it--
*gets interrupted by a bird trying to climb my arm and snuggle me as I type* I think it would be cool to have both themes available for everyone, and to give respect to the (for a lack of a better term?) cultural traditions and to those who do celebrate it. totally didn't forget about the lunar new year as I was thinking of a theme for this cough

I think it would be a good idea, adding some variety to the loading screens and I think we have a very talented and quick working art community to support this. 

#35 Akreis

Akreis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1232 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:16 AM

Hm, then it wouldn't make sense to submit two.

In the past Valentines Day loading screen contest it has always collided with Lunar New Year. Unfortunately it didn't seems like it was made an official theme but some artists still drew Lunar New Year related subject along side with Valentines to celebrate both events. Imo artists should only be limited to one winning slot per event, this is so other people gets a chance at a slot too and not everyone can do two arts during the period of the art contest. It also encourage people to focus more time on one piece than do quick arts. It's only fair.

Lunar New Year falls on the 8th of February 2016 while Valentines is on the 14th, both celebration is cutting too close.

Yer right, only one winning slot per event is Fier Fair. xD The reason why I did ask for the possibility of submitting two entries is because the existence of two themes (which I encountered for the first time) made it seem to me that this is a two-category contest. But since you pointed out that this is intended to be just a one-category that gives artists freedom to choose which of the two themes or to combine both in creating an art, then I've no qualms about it.

I think it would be a good idea, adding some variety to the loading screens and I think we have a very talented and quick working art community to support this. 

Yeah, as I said earlier, and as Fier said, it would only be fair to have 1 winner per slot. If a person wants to put the time into making 2 submissions, the option is there for them. But they just gotta remember that both submissions can't win. I know I've done multiple submissions in a Halloween Contest back last year back in 2014. Only one of them won, which I expected (1 win or no win at all).

This is the first time I've seen an official two-themed contest as well, I wasn't planning on doing that either, so it kinda just came out on a whim. But since Fier mentioned it, I didn't want to limit the contest too much, nor reject her suggestion, because both occasions are indeed celebrated in February. It's nice to be able to some freedom with your creativity too.

And good to know that Oda agrees to add both themes and add variety. In regards to the categories, we will have to play it by ear first, and see how many submissions we receive of each theme first. Plus there may be submissions that implement both themes in one (we can totally celebrate the Lunar New Year in Jawaii with our partner~). So we'll see what happens.

Edited by Akreis, 06 January 2016 - 10:17 AM.

#36 ROCKheir

ROCKheir

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1488 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:35 AM

In the previous contests, top 5 are always selected as winners. Since we have two themes this time, how do you plan to select the winners? Is it gonna be top 6 this time (3 for valentines, 3 for lunar)? Or still top 5? If the latter, how's it gonna be: 3 winners for valentines+2 winners for lunar (or vice versa) or 4 winners for lunar+1 winner for valentine (or vice versa) or 5 winners of valentines+0 winners of lunar(or vice versa)? Or totally dependent on the whim of the judge/s? xD

#37 Akreis

Akreis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1232 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:43 AM

In the previous contests, top 5 are always selected as winners. Since we have two themes this time, how do you plan to select the winners? Is it gonna be top 6 this time (3 for valentines, 3 for lunar)? Or still top 5? If the latter, how's it gonna be: 3 winners for valentines+2 winners for lunar (or vice versa) or 4 winners for lunar+1 winner for valentine (or vice versa) or 5 winners of valentines+0 winners of lunar(or vice versa)? Or totally dependent on the whim of the judge/s? xD

We're going to play it by ear and see how many submissions we get and what theme(s) they correspond with before deciding how this will go in the end. Oda will have the final word on this though, since he's the one doing the screenloaders ingame, and giving the prizes.

We'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind though if we do split the category winners.

Edited by Akreis, 06 January 2016 - 10:44 AM.

#38 Anaestasha

Anaestasha

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 529 posts
  • Server:Renewal - Chaos

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:50 PM

Theme: Honeymoon in Jawaii (I just found out the Lunar theme and I'm too lazy to switch)
IGN: Evaine Heartwing

Server: Chaos Renewal

Description/Concept: I believe that stargazing is very sweet and romantic, so I decided to use this concept to manifest that honeymoon can be spent in a simple yet romantic and intimate way. (whaaat)

Elements: Jawaii for the location. My Archbishop and my imaginary Husband.  :gg:

Advance Happy Valentine's Day everyone!  :ani_wow:

FINAL.jpg

#39 Anaestasha

Anaestasha

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:57 PM

traditional art also can join the loading screen ? :)

Yeap they are traditional art friendly  :heh:  I've joined the past Loading Screen contests using traditional drawings.  :ani_wow:

#40 ROCKheir

ROCKheir

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1488 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:43 PM

Theme: Honeymoon in Jawaii (I just found out the Lunar theme and I'm too lazy to switch)
IGN: Evaine Heartwing
Server: Chaos Renewal
Description/Concept: I believe that stargazing is very sweet and romantic, so I decided to use this concept to manifest that honeymoon can be spent in a simple yet romantic and intimate way. (whaaat)
Elements: Jawaii for the location. My Archbishop and my imaginary Husband. :gg:
Advance Happy Valentine's Day everyone! :ani_wow:
FINAL.jpg

Cool it's a digi art this time, right?

#41 Anaestasha

Anaestasha

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:07 PM

Cool it's a digi art this time, right?

Yeah. Newbie photoshop :/ Hopefully I can have my graphic tablet soon and practice real digi art  :sob:

#42 ROCKheir

ROCKheir

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1488 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:24 PM

Vector art is easy to do with a mouse. Focus on it while waiting for ur tablet. Btw, u going for cintiq?

An artist friend of mine who's doing vectors use Adobe Illustrator alternatively.

Edited by ROCKheir, 06 January 2016 - 11:28 PM.

#43 shrikarash

shrikarash

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:04 AM

Do pencil-paper made sketches have atleast a small chance of getting into the loading screens?

#44 Anaestasha

Anaestasha

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:26 AM

Vector art is easy to do with a mouse. Focus on it while waiting for ur tablet. Btw, u going for cintiq?

An artist friend of mine who's doing vectors use Adobe Illustrator alternatively.

No no no. Just a cheap one for a beginner. I think it was genius. I'm not really familiar with vectors and stuff. I'm still figuring it out. :heh:

#45 Anaestasha

Anaestasha

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:28 AM

Do pencil-paper made sketches have atleast a small chance of getting into the loading screens?

I think so as long as it is presentable. I used to submit traditional drawings before.

#46 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:57 AM

We've had pencil works as loading screens, but I'll admit that my eyes are drawn to colored/pen inked works for traditional media. 

#47 ROCKheir

ROCKheir

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1488 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:08 AM

No no no. Just a cheap one for a beginner. I think it was genius. I'm not really familiar with vectors and stuff. I'm still figuring it out. :heh:

Hope it comes soon enough for you. As for me, I'm waiting for a new laptop to come hopefully this coming week. Cannot resume WIPs until then since pops already left with his laptop for abroad. /sob

Once you've found your way into vector art, please teach me, sensei. xD

Edited by ROCKheir, 07 January 2016 - 09:08 AM.

#48 ROCKheir

ROCKheir

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1488 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:13 AM

Since Oda mentioned that he usually finds pencil-paper unappealling, aside from inked artworks, why not try doing paper cuts with colored papers? I imagine it to be like a traditional version of vector art.

#49 Akreis

Akreis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1232 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:49 AM

Yes, pencil-paper sketches do have a chance of getting into the loading screens; I recommend adding some ink/pen to the work, as Oda mentioned. Having a good amount of contrast and detail definitely catches the eye, and is more visually appealing. Even if it's all black and white.

Cuts with colored paper would definitely be an interesting thing to see as well if you want to try that out too!

Don't forget to use a scanner too! (Seen some people take a photo of their artwork, and the camera doesn't catch all the details, and sometimes the lighting isn't always good.)

Good luck! I look forward to seeing your work if you do decide to participate!

Edited by Akreis, 07 January 2016 - 10:50 AM.

#50 ROCKheir

ROCKheir

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1488 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:52 AM

Yup a scanner indeed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users