Feedback [Holiday Card Art Contest] - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Feedback [Holiday Card Art Contest]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

#1 VModCinnamon

VModCinnamon

Tranquility

• VMod Retired
  • 16663 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:46 PM

Greetings,

After some review I have decided to unhide and move the discussion made on Holiday Card Art Contest prizes to its own place, here.

Forums rules apply, no exceptions, so please keep a polite tone and provide constructive feedback.

Postings have been unhidden and moved from the event thread [Creative Contest Holiday Card Art Contest!]

It is important to mention the event thread is not appropriate nor suitable for feedback.

Thank you for understanding.

Below migrated posts as is from the event thread

Edited by VModCinnamon, 18 December 2017 - 08:28 PM.

#2 mrricebox

mrricebox

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2194 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Canada
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:49 PM

Uhhh, the prizes are old Kafra shop costumes? And the participation prize is worth more than the winning prize? Astra, please seriously reconsider the prizes because I can see a lot of low effort entries coming just to snag that Large Ribbon Muffler.

#3 Miyamisuu

Miyamisuu

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 948 posts
  • LocationSin City

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:50 PM

Man. these recycled/refurbished prizes. :(

#4 yamasakai90

yamasakai90

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3029 posts
  • LocationUnder the Ground

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:12 PM

Uhhh, the prizes are old Kafra shop costumes? And the participation prize is worth more than the winning prize? Astra, please seriously reconsider the prizes because I can see a lot of low effort entries coming just to snag that Large Ribbon Muffler.

Its okay, its the season of giving and to be jolly! :)

Wait: Astra!!! Must it be draw? How about crafts like pop up cards and stuffs? Or making a mosaic card? Those doesn't involve drawing~

Edited by yamasakai90, 18 December 2017 - 04:15 PM.

#5 mashaa

mashaa

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:14 PM

><

#6 alvehu

alvehu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Runeterra
  • Server:chaos

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:29 PM

yeeesss new event !!!!!!!!!!!!! that are good prizes!!! Hands at work *u*

:ani_wow:  :ani_wow:  :ani_wow:  :ani_wow:  

#7 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:35 PM

I like how they put a 1b zeny cash shop item as a PARTICIPATION PRIZE. But hey, I could do with another one so why not :U

#8 alvehu

alvehu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:49 PM

excuse me but, that's why we will have ppl judging all the entries and it's a good chance to get a cute named costume like that for those who can't get it by kafra shop. at least every artist do their best, none is perfect so who we are to say he/she is not putting great effort on his work?.

#9 Toxn

Toxn

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3511 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:50 PM

I like how they put a 1b zeny cash shop item as a PARTICIPATION PRIZE. But hey, I could do with another one so why not :U

The entire point of creative contests is to just give out multi billion prizes apparently, nothing new there.

excuse me but, that's why we will have ppl judging all the entries and it's a good chance to get a cute named costume like that for those who can't get it by kafra shop. at least every artist do their best, none is perfect so who we are to say he/she is not putting great effort on his work?.

You might want to go back into the archives of old contests and see why it's an issue. There have been many no effort submissions, many from fake accounts created from a single users in order to reap as many rewards as they could. Sure, there are times where you can argue that not every has the same creative talent so it's hard to judge if they put effort into it, but take a look for yourself, and you can see some submissions are blatant.

As for the "judging", there has been many times where the judging has had less effort than the submissions.

Edited by Toxn, 18 December 2017 - 05:56 PM.

#10 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:56 PM

I remember that doram from Rockerox, god that was just annoying that it made the loading screens :X

#11 MyNameIsTaken

MyNameIsTaken

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1363 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:57 PM

lmao

Winners get a 200m costume

while participants get 1b+ costume

This is top kek #rigged

#12 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9322 posts
  • LocationBehind you?
  • Server:Chaos- Renewal

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:57 PM

Well they pretty much put god items into cash shop, so it's the next logical step :D

#13 mrricebox

mrricebox

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2194 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:58 PM

The problem isn't that "best efforts aren't good enough". The problem is that having participation prizes worth billions become nothing more than attractions where people don't put their best effort into their work, but rather give 10 minute MS Paint submissions and expect the prize where they more than likely vend it for easy zeny. The rules also usually state that low effort submissions will be disqualified, but historically very few entries have ever been disqualified and people know that the risk is low. All in all, that defeats the purpose of an art contest where a legitimate competition between artists for a coveted unique prize becomes nothing more than a mailbox stuffed full of half-assed drawings from people expecting easy money in return. If you look at old contests from 2014 and prior, you'll see that the "best effort" submissions really looked like they tried their best and put forth something they could be proud of.

#14 MyNameIsTaken

MyNameIsTaken

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1363 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:00 PM

Also rip all other who cant draw(like me), no contest/prizes for us  :sob:

#15 Erydanos

Erydanos

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1159 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:02 PM

Hi Alvehu.  I know I shouldn't make assumptions, but I guess you're new? (We actually have cases of longtime players who actually never participate on forums and when they do some of us think they are new)

Well...there had been other contests where people submitted really bad entries and still got the participation prize.  Sometimes some players might just participate to get one of the prizes and sell it ingame (it happened with the Green Convention Hats)  And this time it doesn't help that the Ribbon Muffler has been a really popular costume and coveted by many.

Of course, there are some players who love to draw but their skills aren't on par with some of the veteran artists and this kind of event at least gives us a chance to try, without feeling totally squashed by the pros.

I guess that in the end of the day those who want to truly participate will do their best, no matter if they're pros or amateurs. But I think really sloppy works or that are evidently rushed or of very low quality should be culled out.

As for myself I will try my best, even though I know some works will make mine look like pretty amateurish.

#16 mrricebox

mrricebox

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2194 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:05 PM

Also rip all other who cant draw(like me), no contest/prizes for us  :sob:

That's another issue in itself. The game has favoured artists from the start and there's no hiding that. But numerous times in the past the CMs have told us to look forward to contests in the future that were more variety - be it cooking, music, arts and crafts, etc. I remember maybe 2 contests that weren't art based and nothing since.

And let's not forget the couple tainted non-art contests in the past...  :p_err:

#17 ShenYuel

ShenYuel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationPayon

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:11 PM

Why can't you all just stop thinking about money and being selfish and just enjoy and have fun with the damn event?
this muffler gonna be NAMED, named by who did the submit, its a good chance to get a pretty costume that people likes and can't affort it outside the countest.

Just have fun and enjoy the contest, if you don't want or disagree, then do not participe on it and let the others have fun with it.

#18 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:16 PM

Why can't you all just stop thinking about money and being selfish and just enjoy and have fun with the damn event?
this muffler gonna be NAMED, named by who did the submit, its a good chance to get a pretty costume that people likes and can't affort it outside the countest.

Just have fun and enjoy the contest, if you don't want or disagree, then do not participe on it and let the others have fun with it.

People just pointing out the stupidity of making a participation prize equate to something 4x the value of the WINNING prize. At least do a switcharoo.

#19 alvehu

alvehu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:16 PM

clearly we can recognize an style when we see it, it's not about the technique that ppl use to make illustrations, because ppl can draw at paint and the draw could be awesome as the way that someone can use photoshop and suck. i'm not new at all, and i don't consider myself as a professional artist but i always try to do the best and pretty artwork for ppl, the problem i immediately see is clearly everyone is worried about they money they can get for the prize, in that case to keep ''everyone'' happy then astra should give that 1b costume to the winners, and give something fake to those who participate and do all they can to show the judges how amazing their work is.  yes i saw that ugly doram too on the loading screens as many not cute draws, but i repeat again who we are to say is not good? and well as ppl can use many fake accounts to just get more and more costumes just for participate the same way others who don't have talent could request to an artist a special card/draw just to participate, and get the credit without honesty. so that's good too?. lets just have fun and do our best as artist.

#20 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:19 PM

clearly we can recognize an style when we see it, it's not about the technique that ppl use to make illustrations, because ppl can draw at paint and the draw could be awesome as the way that someone can use photoshop and suck. i'm not new at all, and i don't consider myself as a professional artist but i always try to do the best and pretty artwork for ppl, the problem i immediately see is clearly everyone is worried about they money they can get for the prize, in that case to keep ''everyone'' happy then astra should give that 1b costume to the winners, and give something fake to those who participate and do all they can to show the judges how amazing their work is.  yes i saw that ugly doram too on the loading screens as many not cute draws, but i repeat again who we are to say is not good? and well as ppl can use many fake accounts to just get more and more costumes just for participate the same way others who don't have talent could request to an artist a special card/draw just to participate, and get the credit without honesty. so that's good too?. lets just have fun and do our best as artist.

Did you see the one where rockerox scribbed on a piece of toilet paper from a public bathroom for a quick entry?

#21 mrricebox

mrricebox

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2194 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:25 PM

Again since you didn't quite grasp it last time, I'M NOT JUDGING WHO'S GOOD AND WHO'S NOT. I highly encourage you to go back and look at the art contests from 2014-2015 (the further back you look the better). Look at the "best effort" artworks. They're not great, but you can tell the artist put their best foot forward. Not to mention their judging is far from consistent (refer to Mike Nirvanna21's post for an example).

If you think I care about money then lolkek. Seems like it's always "HURRRR IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T PARTICIPATE". Go to a stranger and tell them "hey, if you draw a snowball and a Christmas tree you can get a free 1b zeny". What do you think their reaction is? Do you really think everyone will be so honest as to enter solely for the fun of it and for a nice costume that they'll all keep?

#22 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:48 PM

I thought holiday cards are all about scribbling penises and boobs everywhere.

#23 MikaKuchiki

MikaKuchiki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:30 PM

I just want to say thank you for the event. I'm really happy about the prizes. But i will still do my best!!
Because with all i will make, i also want to say to everyone "Happy Holiday to you all!"

#24 IncyI

IncyI

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • Server:Odin

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:35 AM

Phew! I'm happy there's a holiday art contest! It wouldn't be Christmastime without some RO holiday art~
I've got some questions for the CMs:

• 1) RE:Start/Odin seems to be a separate contest. Good! Can we enter both?
  • 2) Must the cards be traditionally made? That is to say, do digital drawings count, or only pencils/markers?
  • 3) Must it be a 'folded' card like typical greeting cards? Or can it be like the online variety?
  • 4) Can I suggest a category be added for 'crafts', so that people who want to make 3d/clay/popup/cooked/whatever entries don't compete against 2d drawings? 

I like the prizes, they're pretty and fit the season! The VIP days are a nice bonus too =3 Thanks for running this!

Edited by IncyI, 19 December 2017 - 02:37 AM.

#25 Diskence

Diskence

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1311 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:44 AM

I think the prizes are fine, it doesn't always have to be rare headgears. With that said tho particupation prize should be swapped with winning prize. Participation prize is 4 times the price of the winning prize right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users