[Solution][Updated] Cannot init d3d OR grf file has problem - Transcendence Technical Support / Bug Reports - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

[Solution][Updated] Cannot init d3d OR grf file has problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 VModCinnamon

VModCinnamon

Tranquility

• VMod Retired
  • 16663 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 07 January 2020 - 06:00 PM

Cannot init d3d OR grf file has problem

[Solution]

UDpL8UI.jpg

Greetings,
Since this has been a common and a recurring issue to many AMD/Radeon users, and possibly other GPU brands, it was decided to pin a solution in this section.

To resolve the error:

• Browse to your Ragnarok folder, find and rename dbghelp.dll to dbghelp.dll_old.
  • Launch the game.

If that doesn't resolve the issue then, ensure the following:

• Setup.exe is properly configured under Administrator privileges. If the listings in Setup.exe are empty then it is either due to launching the app without admin or outdated/not supported drivers.
    To make sure Setup.exe is always ran as an admin, follow these steps:
    Right-click the file > Choose Properties > Choose Compatibility tab > Choose run this program as an administrator.
  • If your game client is installed under Program Files (x86) or Program Files then move the folder anywhere else outside said folders.
  • RO does not support higher resolutions, if using too high values try less. Switching between full to windowed mode may return different results. If you are looking for a windowed mode but on a full screen scale try Borderless-Gaming application.
  • Updated graphic card drivers, preferably from their respective manufacturer websites instead of Windows updater.
  • If "Cannot init d3d OR grf" is combined with EAC error "Untrusted system file..." then, look into updating the graphic driver from its respective manufacturer website instead of Windows updater. In some cases it may be necessary to downgrade the drivers by a version of 2 but always look for updates first for security concerns.
    ★Note: If you are getting a different EAC error please post the full error message here to investigate.
  • If "Cannot init d3d OR grf" is combined with missing sprite errors, then it would mean the game client is missing the necessary files. In this case, please perform a manual re-patch appropriate to your game client.
    ★Renewal server repatch method under Step #4 posted here.
    ★RT server repatch method posted here.

Do not quote this post, instead link to it if you must as I may need to adjust things eventually.

If something is unclear let me know :)

Edited by VModCinnamon, 21 March 2020 - 01:22 AM.

#2 TheReaper

TheReaper

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:39 PM

what is the max resolution the game can be played at?

is it possible to run on 2560x1440 resolution? i have tried it with full screen and windowed, never worked. Ive seen people say it works fine for them at this resolution.

Game only runs when i set the resolution to 1920x1080.

#3 VModCinnamon

VModCinnamon

Tranquility

• VMod Retired
  • 16663 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:13 PM

I don't have the exact number, sorry :(

But if you get the error at that resolution then that ratio is not supported. There may be a third party application that will make it work though, check dgVoodoo on Google.

#4 TheReaper

TheReaper

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:20 PM

i did try dgVoodoo, aside from all the false virus flags, the game still wouldn't load up at 2560x1440 which i believe is a standard resolution. i got the same error.

Will try on the *.dll renaming and will get back later.

#5 Rafzsz

Rafzsz

I am New.

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:51 AM

im still getting the error: Cannot init d3d OR grf file has problem

steps taken so far:

-renamed dbghelp.dll to dbghelp.dll_old.

-configured Setup.exe, Ragnarok.exe and Sakray.exe under administrator privileges

-tried using 800x600 display in windowed and fullscreen

-updated my graphic card drivers through GeForce experience

-ran the Dxdiag and DirectDraw aceleration, Direct3D aceletation and AGP are enabled. But got an error saying that the following DLLS's doesnt have digital signature: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um (though this seems to be related whit the untrusted system file error that appears to me only when the game shutdown)

-installed vcredist 2008 x86 and x64

im still looking for fixes in the web but nothing worked so far.

#6 TheReaper

TheReaper

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:33 PM

Well renaming the dbghelp.dll file didn't work out for me. So I'm stuck on 1920x1080.

#7 darkdonut

darkdonut

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 04:13 AM

Initially when I installed Ragnarok Online Trascendence the setup.exe graphics dropdowns were blank.  Which gave the error message:  Cannot init d3d OR grf file has problem

I was able to resolve my issue as follows:

1.  Renamed dbghelp.dll to dbghelp.dll_old. (located here by default:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Gravity Interactive, Inc\Ragnarok Online Transcendence)
2.  Ran setup.exe as admin.  (located here by default:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Gravity Interactive, Inc\Ragnarok Online Transcendence)
3.  At this point I can see my graphics settings in the drop-downs.
3.  Configured graphics settings accordingly.
4.  Relaunched game.

#8 Romall

Romall

I am New.

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:57 AM

Just as an update, dgVoodoo is blocked through the current anticheat.  It works on unofficial servers and private servers, likely because of custom changes.  The extra file that is required DDraw.dll is blocked.  The game will not allow this file, and blocks the launch of Ragnarok with it sitting in the game folder.

I would like to see this changed, but I understand why it wouldn't be.  If there is a workaround please let me know.

#9 VModCinnamon

VModCinnamon

Tranquility

• VMod Retired
  • 16663 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:55 AM

Yup, dgVoodoo doesn't work with EAC anymore. You may like to contact EAC Support on the issue.

WP can't control the restriction or change it as dgVoodoo is a third party software.

#10 3505170703074552307

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Server:Thor

Posted 06 February 2020 - 08:17 AM

having same problem on renewal, tried everything mentioned above but still no luck...  :an:

#11 VModCinnamon

VModCinnamon

Tranquility

• VMod Retired
  • 16663 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 09:54 AM

having same problem on renewal, tried everything mentioned above but still no luck...  :an:

Have you tried different resolutions in Setup.exe?

#12 3505170703074552307

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:08 AM

Have you tried different resolutions in Setup.exe?

Yes lowest resolution possible, tried all graphic settings, fullscreen & no fullscreen.

"Cannot init d3d OR grf file has problem" followed by "Untrusted system file ... aticfx32.dll"

Tried to reinstall & update windows + driver, same result. (windows10 with AMD+radeon)

#13 VModCinnamon

VModCinnamon

Tranquility

• VMod Retired
  • 16663 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 01:12 PM

Yes lowest resolution possible, tried all graphic settings, fullscreen & no fullscreen.

"Cannot init d3d OR grf file has problem" followed by "Untrusted system file ... aticfx32.dll"

Tried to reinstall & update windows + driver, same result. (windows10 with AMD+radeon)

Look under Problem #5.b here.

Also look for AMD updates through the manufacturer website instead of Windows Updater.

#14 Gahr

Gahr

I am New.

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 02:50 PM

I get that message too, but when i run the setup.exe the lists or graphic setting and resolutions are all empty
I did try to change the help.dll to .dll_old, tried to run every thing from the installer to the setup.exe as admin and in compatibility mode 
my graphic card is a geforce gtx 970 i updated the driver with the gefocer experience did not work
then i tried to uninstall the driver download it manually and install it did not work either
almost giving up the game

#15 3505170703074552307

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 08:18 PM

Look under Problem #5.b here.

Also look for AMD updates through the manufacturer website instead of Windows Updater.

Zmgr21q.png

i use manufacturer driver, latest driver cause bluescreen, so i use the original one thats come with the laptop. (its amd a10 dual graphics)

#16 bobbyphua

bobbyphua

I made it Off Topic

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 12:58 AM

Just as an update, dgVoodoo is blocked through the current anticheat.  It works on unofficial servers and private servers, likely because of custom changes.  The extra file that is required DDraw.dll is blocked.  The game will not allow this file, and blocks the launch of Ragnarok with it sitting in the game folder.

I would like to see this changed, but I understand why it wouldn't be.  If there is a workaround please let me know.

I am also having this issue, i'm playing on a laptop with 3000x2000 resolution hooked up to a 1080p monitor. Before the major update i was using dgvoodoo and it worked after pulling the RO window to the 1080p monitor. If i tried playing on my main laptop screen i could not even see a word. However after the anti cheat system went live, i tried dgvoodoo and DDraw.dll was blocked and i could not launch the game. If i remove DDraw.dll I could not see anything on both my laptop and my external monitor.... 

Hoping to have a fix/solution or workaround if not I would be forced to quit the game... :(

#17 VModCinnamon

VModCinnamon

Tranquility

• VMod Retired
  • 16663 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 02:11 AM

I get that message too, but when i run the setup.exe the lists or graphic setting and resolutions are all empty
I did try to change the help.dll to .dll_old, tried to run every thing from the installer to the setup.exe as admin and in compatibility mode 
my graphic card is a geforce gtx 970 i updated the driver with the gefocer experience did not work
then i tried to uninstall the driver download it manually and install it did not work either
almost giving up the game

In some cases downgrading the driver may help, but it is not a really good advice :/ leaving it out there for test purposes.

But biggest culprit for empty listings on Setup is administrator powers being missing. Do you have the game installed under C:Programs Files by any chance? If you do move the game folder anywhere else outside Program Files.

Zmgr21q.png

i use manufacturer driver, latest driver cause bluescreen, so i use the original one thats come with the laptop. (its amd a10 dual graphics)

If following all suggested solutions and the error Untrusted System File is still happening then I'd suggest contacting EAC support for further assistance.
EAC Support: https://www.easy.ac/...e/contact/tech/

#18 Gahr

Gahr

I am New.

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:10 AM

In some cases downgrading the driver may help, but it is not a really good advice :/ leaving it out there for test purposes.

But biggest culprit for empty listings on Setup is administrator powers being missing. Do you have the game installed under C:Programs Files by any chance? If you do move the game folder anywhere else outside Program Files.

If following all suggested solutions and the error Untrusted System File is still happening then I'd suggest contacting EAC support for further assistance.

Tried uninstalling then installing it out of program and files still the same problem, also i'm using the admin acc, with all the admin permission enabled

#19 3505170703074552307

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 06:16 PM

Already contacted them, still waiting for reply.

Also something to note that i have no problem with iRO client until this long hiatus update and i can play idRO which use same EAC just fine.

#20 xPablodin

xPablodin

I am New.

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:43 PM

Im with the same problem. Can't run the game more than 1920*1090 =(

dgVoodo are blocked by EAC

Unique solution: back to less resolution and see the horrible crueld world of 1080p

Please fix it, we dont need more area vision or something else, just see the game bigger than 1/4 of our screen.

#21 VModCinnamon

VModCinnamon

Tranquility

• VMod Retired
  • 16663 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:28 PM

dgVoodo is a third party program, WP has no say in this application. Best option would be contacting EAC.

#22 GiuPro

GiuPro

I am New.

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 09:12 AM

I've followed every step, and still getting the mensage "cannot init d3d or grf file has problem" and the ragnarok sceen behind keeps all white. 

I've actualized every driver on my pcand still nothing changes...

there is any light at the end of the tunel for me?

Please let me know.

all I have in this image below

http://imgbox.com/iXyGpl7n

#23 VModCinnamon

VModCinnamon

Tranquility

• VMod Retired
  • 16663 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 10:00 AM

I've followed every step, and still getting the mensage "cannot init d3d or grf file has problem" and the ragnarok sceen behind keeps all white. 

I've actualized every driver on my pcand still nothing changes...

there is any light at the end of the tunel for me?

Please let me know.

all I have in this image below

http://imgbox.com/iXyGpl7n

I see that you have renamed the problematic file however that didn't resolve the issue.

Let's try a simple method by moving the game folder outside of Program Files (x86), such as placing the game folder under C:/ directly should be good enough.

Next double check that Setup.exe is always launched as an admin (Right-click the file > Choose Properties > Choose Compatibility tab > Choose run this program as an administrator.).

Some users also reported downgrading the graphic driver resolved their issue, though I'd suggest doing that once you have exhausted all possible solutions.

#24 GiuPro

GiuPro

I am New.

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 11:14 AM

I see that you have renamed the problematic file however that didn't resolve the issue.

Let's try a simple method by moving the game folder outside of Program Files (x86), such as placing the game folder under C:/ directly should be good enough.

Next double check that Setup.exe is always launched as an admin (Right-click the file > Choose Properties > Choose Compatibility tab > Choose run this program as an administrator.).

Some users also reported downgrading the graphic driver resolved their issue, though I'd suggest doing that once you have exhausted all possible solutions.

I've tried but nothing changes Y.Y

So sad that I can play it... 

You think if I install in another pc and try copy into mine it will work? 

please let me know.

Best regards,

#25 VModCinnamon

VModCinnamon

Tranquility

• VMod Retired
  • 16663 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 11:24 AM

Is that the only error that comes up? And yes installing the game on another device then moving it to another can work, though if the issue is coming from the device itself then it may not help. Give it a try though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users