Newb Guide Contest Finalist - Page 3 - Newb Guide Contest - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Newb Guide Contest Finalist

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

Poll: Best Overall Guide Finalist (237 member(s) have cast votes)

Best Overall Guide

1. Faithx's General Guide to Dragon Saga~ (76 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

2. Camei's Warrior to Dragoon Guide (89 votes [42.58%])

Percentage of vote: 42.58%

3. Diablozeff's Archer to Sentinel Guide (10 votes [4.78%])

Percentage of vote: 4.78%

4. sXcDennis's Everything you need to know about Dragonsaga!! (General Guide) (14 votes [6.70%])

Percentage of vote: 6.70%

5. Cyndres' Guide to an Archer! Lv1~40 (9 votes [4.31%])

Percentage of vote: 4.31%

6. Miname's Mage Guide (11 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

Vote

#51 a557700eo

a557700eo

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:44 PM

I voted for Camei, it really helped me out, very clear and straight to the point.

Thank you Camei,

Megadave.

#52 Hector14

Hector14

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • LocationHell
  • Playing:Dragon Saga
  • Server:All of them

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:42 PM

Sorry Camei I had to be selfish and vote for myself lols

Thanks for everyone who voted for me -_- giving free virtual hugs ingame npnp lol

I WANT MY VIRTUAL HUGS. QQ

#53 Faithx

Faithx

Guide Guru

• Members
  • 1041 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:04 PM

I WANT MY VIRTUAL HUGS. QQ

-_- :D :( :( :D :D lol

#54 Syteless

Syteless

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:13 PM

Camei!!!! all the WAIIIII!!!!!! Was a nub looking for answers and that guide had everything I need to know about my first character -_- VERY thorough and gives added info that the game doesn't tell you XD Very nice job by a first time guide maker

#55 Hector14

Hector14

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • LocationHell
  • Server:All of them

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:42 PM

:( :( :D :D :( :( lol

-_- :D :D

#56 VenusY

VenusY

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:11 AM

Ker said camei, so i did.

#57 Purpleberi

Purpleberi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • LocationVenusY's house

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:17 AM

Ker so demanding =o!

#58 samxslam

samxslam

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:18 AM

wowowowowoowowowowwwww, this is getting epic

#59 itzzjason

itzzjason

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:34 AM

FAITH'S GUIDE!

#60 Existed

Existed

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:37 AM

Finally, some guide for the game. Thank you Faith!

#61 Kerwell

Kerwell

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 490 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

Ker so demanding =o!

>:U

#62 bwsnoopy

bwsnoopy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 511 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:53 PM

personaly... idk y there would even b 6 choices, there should only b Faith and Dennis chosen as winner... a guide to a game should ONLY include the basics.... Faith definatly doing a way better job at guiding new players through the game regarless which class they r. great visuals and examples, wonderful job Faith.
i wouldnt want everyone to b a warrior or archer class cuz some warrior/archer's guide was "better" than a Useful Universal Guide.

#63 Faithx

Faithx

Guide Guru

• Members
  • 1041 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

personaly... idk y there would even b 6 choices, there should only b Faith and Dennis chosen as winner... a guide to a game should ONLY include the basics.... Faith definatly doing a way better job at guiding new players through the game regarless which class they r. great visuals and examples, wonderful job Faith.
i wouldnt want everyone to b a warrior or archer class cuz some warrior/archer's guide was "better" than a Useful Universal Guide.

rofl look what chris accidently started! (accidently -1ed you) and now all of camei's voters are -ing you LOL

#64 Pillsberryd0

Pillsberryd0

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:28 PM

im sorry brian i love you man -_-. accident!

ps i +1ed a diff post though ;D

#65 StormHaven

StormHaven

(ノ°▽°)ノ︵┻━┻

• VMod Retired
  • 5432 posts
  • Server:Dekard

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:15 PM

i hit -1 instead of +1 -_-

#66 bwsnoopy

bwsnoopy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 511 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:58 PM

this shows they can not argue against my statment... we all no it makes sense here... yet some ppl just have to take it so offensive..
ahh~~ wut a wonderful day

ps. i feel special that ppl care about my post -_-

Edited by bwsnoopy, 14 June 2011 - 07:01 PM.

#67 sXcDennis

sXcDennis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:32 PM

this shows they can not argue against my statment... we all no it makes sense here... yet some ppl just have to take it so offensive..

Sorry, I just followed the crowd on that one :D, but we were suppose to make guides for newbies. They specified that it should be of those categories, just that this wouldn't be considered "best guide" if it's a poll from population. I think everyone did a good job making a guide, but we all should of been rewarded the same reward for making one for each section(not one person with a special reward), or just no reward at all and have our guides pinned or coded to the official site sounds good enough to me!

#68 iKittygirl5

iKittygirl5

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:29 PM

I would like to vote Camei~ >w<

#69 Meganekko

Meganekko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 924 posts
  • Location305

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:45 AM

You know...its kinda sad the prize is worth helping tons of noobs just for votes and begging in megaphone's. Most rigged poll ever. Goodluck.

#70 Faithx

Faithx

Guide Guru

• Members
  • 1041 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:06 AM

I've already surrendered last night when I saw Camei jumped up 15 votes within 2 hours lol. Camei, you win np. I simply cannot ask enough noobs to vote for me as much as you did. And like what Dennis said earlier in this thread, future contests should not be a "popularity contest" or "how many people can i ask to vote for me?"

Also, like I mentioned before, the enchanting prize is useless to me lol..So Aramis, is it okay if I use the prize on someone else? I honestly do not have ANYTHING i want to enchant.

-edit-

Also, Aramis/Hastur you mentioned that the winner's guide gets pinned up or something? (Forgot what you said exactly) But I would like for either Dennis' or my guide to be pinned up as well. Half the people I talked to had NO idea there was a guide to Dragon Saga. These guides were made FOR the newbies. A warrior guide ain't going to do shet for an archer/mage/thief newbie (no offense Camei).

Edited by Faithx, 15 June 2011 - 08:09 AM.

#71 hungfido

hungfido

Guide Guru

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:52 AM

I agree that there shouldn't be 6 choices of different category Guides going against each other. However, a guide is a guide to the game. There are different types of guides so I'm sorry to say "a guide to a game should ONLY include the basics" is not necessarily true. Yes, Faith is doing quite the job at guiding new players and I applaud her for her hard work and excellency. But, for her to go into detail of and secrets of different classes will be overwhelming or all too much for her.
I think the point of this contest was to see who can write a better guide regardless of the contents (to some degree). However, the fact that the Admins decided to have this a vote by the community, many problem arises such as "popularity contest" or "asking/begging other people to look at forums and vote". So in some sense, I agree to what you say but in others, your view is narrowed by the rims of a well looking up to the sky.

I think people CHOOSE NOT to argue... not that they "can not argue against your opinion". Like I said above, I agree to what you have said but not entirely.

Sorry, I just followed the crowd on that one :D, but we were suppose to make guides for newbies. They specified that it should be of those categories, just that this wouldn't be considered "best guide" if it's a poll from population. I think everyone did a good job making a guide, but we all should of been rewarded the same reward for making one for each section(not one person with a special reward), or just no reward at all and have our guides pinned or coded to the official site sounds good enough to me!

This is a good resolution/compromise. I like!

You know...its kinda sad the prize is worth helping tons of noobs just for votes and begging in megaphone's. Most rigged poll ever. Goodluck.

It is sad. But I guess we can also look at it as "work for what you want"? (even if it sucks doing so......... *sigh)

I've already surrendered last night when I saw Camei jumped up 15 votes within 2 hours lol. Camei, you win np. I simply cannot ask enough noobs to vote for me as much as you did. And like what Dennis said earlier in this thread, future contests should not be a "popularity contest" or "how many people can i ask to vote for me?"

Also, like I mentioned before, the enchanting prize is useless to me lol..So Aramis, is it okay if I use the prize on someone else? I honestly do not have ANYTHING i want to enchant.

-edit-

Also, Aramis/Hastur you mentioned that the winner's guide gets pinned up or something? (Forgot what you said exactly) But I would like for either Dennis' or my guide to be pinned up as well. Half the people I talked to had NO idea there was a guide to Dragon Saga. These guides were made FOR the newbies. A warrior guide ain't going to do shet for an archer/mage/thief newbie (no offense Camei).

Another good compromise. I like!

In my honest opinion, the Admins should have reversed the order of sequence. They should have had the community vote and then the Admins vote. Or no votes by the community at all and the Admins have 2 rounds of voting.

Edited by hungfido, 15 June 2011 - 10:19 AM.

#72 Maronu

Maronu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2358 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:47 AM

Its kind of sad if "tons of noobs" who had little to gain allowed their votes to be influenced by personal preference for individuals, but I don't see how the poll is rigged at all, unless you are claiming that there is actual bribery going on or multiple voting. Political advertising and campaigning of any sort can be viewed as begging for votes if you choose to think of it in a negative light, but it is all matters of personal perspective. In this instance, I see using megaphones and helping new players as going the extra mile to win a popularity contest. Honestly, if someone is making that extra effort and helping new players in game, perhaps they deserve to win. Isn't helping new players part of what the contest was about?

Look, we all know that there will be bias when the judges are a body of familiar peers. Imo, your words and phrases "sad", "tons of noobs", "just for votes", "begging", and "most rigged ever" express some bias or contempt themselves. I agree with others that it would be better if the staff had the final vote, but in a popularity contests and this game in particular, I expect for players to do what it takes to win, provided it does not cross the line. What do you feel was unfair?

Edited by Maronu, 15 June 2011 - 10:48 AM.

#73 StormHaven

StormHaven

(ノ°▽°)ノ︵┻━┻

• VMod Retired
  • 5432 posts
  • Server:Dekard

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:51 AM

why can't we all just be friends? -_-

#74 Meganekko

Meganekko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 924 posts
  • Location305

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:05 AM

Its kind of sad if "tons of noobs" who had little to gain allowed their votes to be influenced by personal preference for individuals, but I don't see how the poll is rigged at all, unless you are claiming that there is actual bribery going on or multiple voting. Political advertising and campaigning of any sort can be viewed as begging for votes if you choose to think of it in a negative light, but it is all matters of personal perspective. In this instance, I see using megaphones and helping new players as going the extra mile to win a popularity contest. Honestly, if someone is making that extra effort and helping new players in game, perhaps they deserve to win. Isn't helping new players part of what the contest was about?

Look, we all know that there will be bias when the judges are a body of familiar peers. Imo, your words and phrases "sad", "tons of noobs", "just for votes", "begging", and "most rigged ever" express some bias or contempt themselves. I agree with others that it would be better if the staff had the final vote, but in a popularity contests and this game in particular, I expect for players to do what it takes to win, provided it does not cross the line. What do you feel was unfair?

Look I know everyone who made a guide worked hard on them, but now they have to sit and help noobs over and over and ask for peoples votes to actually win? Both Camei and Faithx have been helping new players and working even harder just for a prize that was suppose to be based on guides, not based on who has more time to help more people, more IM to smega more, or more friends to help you collect more votes.

Edited by Meganekko, 15 June 2011 - 11:06 AM.

#75 Maronu

Maronu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2358 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:31 AM

Look I know everyone who made a guide worked hard on them, but now they have to sit and help noobs over and over and ask for peoples votes to actually win? Both Camei and Faithx have been helping new players and working even harder just for a prize that was suppose to be based on guides, not based on who has more time to help more people, more IM to smega more, or more friends to help you collect more votes.

Well, if the prize was supposed to be based solely upon the guides, WP has yet to learn that the community can not be counted upon to exhibit fair and unbiased judgement. If your assumption is correct, maybe the staff will learn from this. I'm not defending the mechanism used to determine the winner, but I fail to see how any of the guide writers did anything wrong in using a community vote to their advantage. If a community vote is needed in order to win the grand prize, I would think that most people would naturally assume there is more to the contest than just the quality of a guide. I would assume WP staff is also aware of this, but of course we are both entitled to our opinions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users