How you do this is
Right click Computer
In the left pane click advanced system settings
-under the advanced tab in the performance box click the settings button
-go to the Data Execution Prevention tab
-click the bullet next to "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:"
-click add browse to your dragon saga install folder, go to the release folder and add dragonsaga.exe
Yes I'm on a vista machine and from all the posts dating back to the start of this problem seems to be where they are happening and most likely the same reason for 7 if there are similar problems. This is a temporary fix yes but works like a charm none the less and points to the source of the problem. Which I would believe to be a script flaw likely in the dragonsaga.exe file itself where the patcher always works regardless. This same thing happened to me with dragon age: origins one time and this is how i fixed it. To beat it all I'm still running both my Comodo firewall and Avira antivirus, nor did I set dragon saga to run for xp sp2 compat runs just like it should. If you want to know what dep actually does check out this link.
So more or less when the executable is opened it is attempting to access a protected zone and is thus shot down. Not sure why it would do this, I'm no programmer or anything just technically savvy. But check it out for yourself I've done about everything I could think of trying to get this to work from these forums. Hope this helps some people get to play and our devs to trudge their way to the heart of the problem.
Edited by N0R13G4, 14 June 2011 - 04:51 AM.