Colosseum Balance Discussion - Page 12 - Feedback & Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Colosseum Balance Discussion

340 replies to this topic

#276 U2v85

U2v85

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLima
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

Should lower the sorcs damage as much stuck now with the skills of guild and joined the store stuff down the sorcs too and I say knowingly, the other day when I placed one sorc 9k damage to my priest and that I have it with 3 parts colo armor (armor pants and shoes) and even with all that bonus damage from 9k defense really is too much and added to all that already have like cures in a short time , now they will not come to say those who play with sorcs I speak nonsense what they should do is the following.

ONLY IS MY TIP: Do not lowering their damage to sorcs but if Put A Internal Cooldown of its high damage multiplier as it is the highest in the entire game. Example every time you throw your spear varetyr apply a 1 minute internal cooldown so it will not build with the effect of critical then frozen while this internal cooldown just out frozen void critics think that would be fair as any other kind enough to cause much damage as a sorc.

#277 U2v85

U2v85

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLima

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

Also forget to consider that sorc items are those stats go up more I think the x4 multiplier (adding the crit (x2) with that of frozen status (x2) = x4) I think if it would be appropriate for serious internal cooldown a way to control your varetyr damage spear with 80% magic damage by multipliers (x4) is = 320% damage to tell me that other skill scale both added to the high stats of items of sorc for example there sorcs that reach over 3100 magic attack (use this number because I know a sorc with that number) if we multiply the damage of this skill (80% of magic is power) with that magic attack 2480x4 = 9920 would then tell me that another class can cause so much damage. I do not say that they lower the damage but if you control more and I think the best way would be putting a internal cooldown to their high damage multipliers because that would force them to more strategically use their powerful skill and not as it is now that the use left and right and some will say but has cooldown if but they are only 20 seconds and considering the effect of a good set that you leave between 14-15 seconds at most.
Something not very clear to me in general the game is on the reduction of harm to the sorcs cause much damage, defense and damage reducers colo set does not apply to magic damage?

Edited by U2v85, 08 September 2013 - 10:04 AM.

#278 xAmia

xAmia

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationWild Terrestrial Land of Predators
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

1. Remove equipment "equalization" for lvl 50s.
Not only does this gimp certain battle tactics builds but it also limits the dynamics of your PvP environment by a huge margin. Players should have more choices that effect their personal outcomes in matches and since this is an MMO your gear is a huge part of that.

2. Give lvl 50s their own Colosseum.
Doing so will up the skill cap and competition hugely, instead of 50s decked out in Colosseum gear, min/maxed smashing lowbies everyone would be on a closer footing.

3. Dispel upon entry.
Injustice for the guildless lone wolfers or players still in the level up stage. Colosseum is not a guild endevor and any external buffs applied out of Colosseum should not take effect in Colosseum.

4. Higher restrictions on elixirs.
Some flagged as unusable pots are usable inside Colosseum. If using elixirs out of combat is intended behavior say so but why would you list in big yellow text the potions are NOT usable on the map during combat? Please clarify this contradictory behavior.

5. The KSing Problem.
This sounds to me like one of those damned if you do damned if you dont issues. If kills are counted by damage done instead of last hits you get abusers who would tick players 51% HP damage and walk away. While currently we have the " Kill Steal" points system at least it favors finishing the player off. The monsters inside Colosseum offset the KS system to a degree but some players are still complaining. How this issue would be tackled without introducing terrible,terrible damage and faster potting into the game? I don't havent the slightest clue.

up for Numbers 2 and 5! because in Colosseum its a matter of how you last hit your enemies.. its so sad coz no matter how much you spam your DPS skills and end up killed by someone else..  :p_sad: 

#279 xAmia

xAmia

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationWild Terrestrial Land of Predators

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:57 PM

1) Have our own respective costumes (Just like entering the WoE) and weapon skins to avoid the FULL FORCE towards the lowbies.

2) Remove the top 5 numbers above the head. Coz its luring all the attacks towards you, it like " Hey its my brithday blow the numbers candle".  :rice:

#280 jellopyking

jellopyking

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 589 posts
  • Server:skyrim

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

fooking sorcs..

#281 aznbabiikatie

aznbabiikatie

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

fooking sorcs..

This.

#282 Leinzan

Leinzan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1223 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

2) Remove the top 5 numbers above the head. Coz its luring all the attacks towards you, it like " Hey its my brithday blow the numbers candle".  :rice:

Or bring it up a notch, add the numbers' rough location to the mini map >=D!!

#283 Velouce

Velouce

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:10 AM

Something I notice more and more, and at the same time seems more and more unfair: I call it the "bs placedrop in the last seconds". If I am - let's say 4th place in round 4 and there are 20 seconds left, I usually could start running and avoiding everything, but it will be a bad idea because the following will happen in the next 20 seconds - I will drop to place 7. 7 because it usually ends up exactly 1 spot below the allowed limit for next round.This cruicial last placedrop btw happens in the very last second (or even at 00:00) in 95% of the case.

These are my rank drops in the last 10~20seconds of todays climatic Colo:

In round 1: 1st place to 5th (Last ~15 seconds)

In round 2: 2nd place to 14th (Last ~30secs, which still means an enormous amount of rank drops)

In round 3: Nothing special, but still from 5th to 8th in last 20 seconds

in round 4: 3rd place to 7th (Last ~20seconds)

Now this might be random you say? I checked scores in round 1, and I had the highest kill count of all players. And - prepared for a hardcore placedrop in round4 already - I compared stats before and after those ~15 seconds, and I couldn't spot anyone changed amounts of kills in any spot below me. I also made 2 screens -

http://i637.photobuc...zpsecf8b69e.jpg

http://i637.photobuc...zps664c0508.jpg

theyre not too useful because I was too slow catching my drop from 3rd to 7th

Now to add is, that this happens in every single Colo I am, usually it's just not nearly as enormous as it was this time.

In most cases it's just dropping 1 place in exactly the last second.

This means, either points are added randomly or systematically (after a stupid system that never includes me), or... well the other possibility shouldn't be spoken of I guess.

The other thing - just got my 12th accessoir (of 12) that is parry/dodge instead of hit/vigor on my assassin (as well as no gear). But after the first 11, I'd have been rather surprised if Id have been getting this "50/50 chance" to my advantage this time...

Edited by Velouce, 19 September 2013 - 12:12 AM.

#284 3596130702174734600

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • Server:IRO2

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:00 AM

Don't ban wind bottles or else melee classes can't keep up.

If you lower the damage on sorcs, they will be unusable in the colosseum. If you don't believe me, get a sorc class and run around only using VS and JT without freezing or using your wind emblem. I promise you won't go far. They have to do a considerable amount of setup for their kills. In order to do that much damage they either have to use cold bolt on repeat for their wind emblem to activate, or freeze the target. Unless you are a ranger, you can avoid the massive damage from a VS once you see you are frozen.

Everyone complains about the massive damage, but just as we deal massive damage, we sometimes roll bad RNGs, so our targets live with 100hp and someone else just takes the kill. We run into the same problems as everyone else does. We are glass cannons, we will hit hard but can't take a hit either. Most sorcs don't even bother to try and heal if more than 1 person attacks them, they will just waste time and will die anyway. Even under Earth Emblem, Deluge and LOR, you can still be killed by 2 players quicker than you get health.

The only real balancing that is needed is the speed of melee classes. Sins gives sorcs a ton of trouble because of their damage and speed, and if other melee characters could move like them, sorcs would indirectly be nerfed as other characters will be on top of them, and at the same time other range players would be nerfed too. Trying to change the numbers on sorc's damage will only make them unusable. We get as many deaths as we get kills, so a lot of times we hover on borderline because of the crazy point system.  

People please learn more about the classes before complaining, Monks need some looking into before anything, nerfing classes only hurt the game. Buffing classes is always the way to go, it is better for everyone to be OP, than for their to be one Decent class and everyone else sucks.

#285 Velouce

Velouce

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:40 AM

If you lower the damage on sorcs, they will be unusable in the colosseum. If you don't believe me, get a sorc class and run around only using VS and JT without freezing or using your wind emblem. I promise you won't go far. They have to do a considerable amount of setup for their kills. In order to do that much damage they either have to use cold bolt on repeat for their wind emblem to activate, or freeze the target. Unless you are a ranger, you can avoid the massive damage from a VS once you see you are frozen.

Everyone complains about the massive damage, but just as we deal massive damage, we sometimes roll bad RNGs, so our targets live with 100hp and someone else just takes the kill. We run into the same problems as everyone else does.[/quote]

Let me compare this to a class that needs 5 combo points (=5 melee attacks = ~10seconds) to start a finisher that deals between 1-3k damage. Most of my targets survive with 1-100 HP and no, I can't reattack fast enough to get the kill. Melee classes have to stand directly next to the opponent, usually the target runs away, making it impossible to get the kill, as we cant connect our hit.

We are glass cannons, we will hit hard but can't take a hit either. Most sorcs don't even bother to try and heal if more than 1 person attacks them, they will just waste time and will die anyway. Even under Earth Emblem, Deluge and LOR, you can still be killed by 2 players quicker than you get health.

You are not a tank, what are you expecting? At least you have the ability to freeze your attackers. This is an advantage, like wizards have teleport and rangers have their backflip. Those skills are the main reason for non-melee classes survivability. Unfortunately, for example a Rogue doesn't have such a skill.

The only real balancing that is needed is the speed of melee classes. Sins gives sorcs a ton of trouble because of their damage and speed, and if other melee characters could move like them, sorcs would indirectly be nerfed as other characters will be on top of them, and at the same time other range players would be nerfed too. Trying to change the numbers on sorc's damage will only make them unusable. We get as many deaths as we get kills, so a lot of times we hover on borderline because of the crazy point system.

You should try playing other classes in Colosseum, especially melee classes. Honestly, not trying to reproach, but you might get a better understanding for how enormously crucial for Colosseum it is to deal more damage in a single blow and having the possibility to attack ranged. This difference is practically the origin of imbalance. Also, killing sorcerers is far from easy. You get this understanding as soon as you play a melee as well. The very moment you will attack a sorcerer, and he freezes you, it is over. You can't attack him, he will attack you.

People please learn more about the classes before complaining, Monks need some looking into before anything, nerfing classes only hurt the game. Buffing classes is always the way to go, it is better for everyone to be OP, than for their to be one Decent class and everyone else sucks.

I have played a lot of classes so far, admitted, most on SEA, but that's not the big difference.

Power of classes is depending on the relative, average of all classes. Changes in PvP shouldn't be taken over into PvE anyways, those 2 have to be treaten individually. Actually I never saw any other mmorpg beside RO2 that used the exact same stats/damage moifications and skill effects for PvE and PvP.

#286 Audn

Audn

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 573 posts
  • LocationNew Bark Town

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:54 AM

http://forums.warppo...-2#entry1520421

#287 jellopyking

jellopyking

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:52 AM

Something I notice more and more, and at the same time seems more and more unfair: I call it the "bs placedrop in the last seconds". If I am - let's say 4th place in round 4 and there are 20 seconds left, I usually could start running and avoiding everything, but it will be a bad idea because the following will happen in the next 20 seconds - I will drop to place 7. 7 because it usually ends up exactly 1 spot below the allowed limit for next round.This cruicial last placedrop btw happens in the very last second (or even at 00:00) in 95% of the case.

These are my rank drops in the last 10~20seconds of todays climatic Colo:

In round 1: 1st place to 5th (Last ~15 seconds)

In round 2: 2nd place to 14th (Last ~30secs, which still means an enormous amount of rank drops)

In round 3: Nothing special, but still from 5th to 8th in last 20 seconds

in round 4: 3rd place to 7th (Last ~20seconds)

Now this might be random you say? I checked scores in round 1, and I had the highest kill count of all players. And - prepared for a hardcore placedrop in round4 already - I compared stats before and after those ~15 seconds, and I couldn't spot anyone changed amounts of kills in any spot below me. I also made 2 screens -

http://i637.photobuc...zpsecf8b69e.jpg

http://i637.photobuc...zps664c0508.jpg

theyre not too useful because I was too slow catching my drop from 3rd to 7th

Now to add is, that this happens in every single Colo I am, usually it's just not nearly as enormous as it was this time.

In most cases it's just dropping 1 place in exactly the last second.

This means, either points are added randomly or systematically (after a stupid system that never includes me), or... well the other possibility shouldn't be spoken of I guess.

The other thing - just got my 12th accessoir (of 12) that is parry/dodge instead of hit/vigor on my assassin (as well as no gear). But after the first 11, I'd have been rather surprised if Id have been getting this "50/50 chance" to my advantage this time...

hi

dpspowa_zpsa885d6a7.png

just seems like ur just getting out killed dps'd by everyone else

Edited by jellopyking, 19 September 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#288 SilentSorceress

SilentSorceress

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:33 AM

Something I was thinking about, how about a faster res time for melee? It's not a huge change, but it would probably be useful. Respawn could even vary by class.

#289 Velouce

Velouce

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

hi

dpspowa_zpsa885d6a7.png

just seems like ur just getting out killed dps'd by everyone else

Sory, but I have no idea what this has to do with my posting.

#290 jellopyking

jellopyking

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:36 PM

Sory, but I have no idea what this has to do with my posting.

srry, what i was trying to say was work harder

if people continue killing for bp whether from mobs or other players, and you're idling.. the result isn't really gona be surprising.. i was just showing on my picture how u could go to round 5 without killing many players..

#291 Velouce

Velouce

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

I never said that I am idling, you just misinterpretated the argument.

Yes, monsters give points, but mentioning the killing count merely was suposed to underline how strange it is to fall that far, especially because killing monsters in the last seconds usually doesn't stop me from dropping a few positions.

On a sidenote: I can't count anymore how many times by now I missed out on kills (but easily more than 50% of the time) because I can't use skills (mostly when it's crucial, like final blow) - with the pointless "no time to use this skill" message. This mainly happens on my assassin. I can assume it's based on positioning and lag, but then it would occur on my other characters as well. Also the only situation this error message ever occured for me was in form of a bug. So I wonder why it is even existing.

#292 Greven79

Greven79

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1006 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

Big things first: Im a lvl 50 Warrior that never entered Colo and never will.

It's kind of funny to read this article:

All kinds of answers on how to fix colo look like this:

• Nerf the sorc because of <blah>
  • Restrict the potions because of <blah>
  • Remove the adds because of <blah>

All these answers have one thing in common:

People try to remove things in order to fix something... to make some parts undone.

This might be a reasonable conclusion, but it's also quite a childish one.

If a company has ruined a product, they don't say: "We are sorry, can we take it back? We would even pay for your inconvenience..". No they try to find a customer nonetheless. If a country makes depts, the reasonable conclusion would be to reduce theexpenses. But the actual sollution is to print more money instead.

And this is what the developers do:

Rather than to forbid pets in colo, they introduced an option to buy DNA.

So simply put:

• Invent kafra blood boxes that grant a certain amount of blood points:
  • Make an extra shop that sells wind elixirs for blood points
  • Introduce an elixir that generates a stackable debuff and lasts for 1 colo round.... buyable for blood points
  • Introduce a "power up" potion for upgrading your pet for a while.

This is way how "real world" issues are addressed nowadays.

Edited by Greven79, 25 September 2013 - 11:28 AM.

#293 Gluttannie

Gluttannie

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:46 AM

I never said that I am idling, you just misinterpretated the argument.
Yes, monsters give points, but mentioning the killing count merely was suposed to underline how strange it is to fall that far, especially because killing monsters in the last seconds usually doesn't stop me from dropping a few positions.

On a sidenote: I can't count anymore how many times by now I missed out on kills (but easily more than 50% of the time) because I can't use skills (mostly when it's crucial, like final blow) - with the pointless "no time to use this skill" message. This mainly happens on my assassin. I can assume it's based on positioning and lag, but then it would occur on my other characters as well. Also the only situation this error message ever occured for me was in form of a bug. So I wonder why it is even existing.

The "no time to cast skill" error is just a silent cool down that your client does not recognize. You just need to wait out the usual cool down of the skill that is affected. This usually happens when you try using a skill on a target but he dies or you die while your skill is in motion.

Also regarding the position drop, there usually are a huge number of monsters being killed last second because everyone is trying to get into the cutoff range. Those 15k HP mobs are worth a lot of points, even more than killing a non-ranked player (I've jumped from 9th to 2nd by killing a Berserker). This is propbably why you can't see it being reflected on the scoreboard.

#294 Audn

Audn

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 573 posts
  • LocationNew Bark Town

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

Pets should be removed from colosseum.

Pokémon Colosseum was only a very crappy pokémon spinoff!

The Random Monster DNA box... it just made it much harder for F2P players to keep up.

#295 1214681284

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • Locationcanada
  • Server:odin

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

Balancing character is not the solution imo, each classes have their own weak and strengths also I suggest they removed the level cap balancing on pvp it kills the fun and experience.

#296 Leinzan

Leinzan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1223 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:11 AM

Well...

imho this topic is pointless if colo is not a legitimate PvP environment. And as of late, that is less likely.

Leave aside the Kill Stealing fest, there is little room for player's skills to be of any use O___o;;

Its quite ridiculous.

#297 Greven79

Greven79

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1006 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

Balancing character is not the solution imo, each classes have their own weak and strengths also I suggest they removed the level cap balancing on pvp it kills the fun and experience.

This is a rather strange answer as it implies two things:

I. Balancing Colosseum cannot achieved via balanced characters

II. Balancing characters excludes considering strengths or weaknesses of a class

So in total, I disagree energeticly!

The mechanics behind roleplaying games is rather simple.... calculate the DPS (damage per second).

To create distinct classes, you can focus on different aspects of combat, but each class stays "balanced" in regard of DPS.

Assume the following example:

A character attacks 20 times during 1 minute and each strike deals 20 damage. Ergo 400 damage is dealt in total during this period.

• Increasing Damage by 10%: Now your attacks deal 22 damage and the total damage is now 440.
  • Increasing Atack speed by 10%: Now you perform deal 22 attacks per minute and the total damage stays at 440.
  • Adding a 10% chance to deal critical (2x) damage: Results in 18 normal and 2 special attacks. The total damage is also 440 (18x20 + 2x40).

As you can see, it's rather simple to create diversity AND keep the balance.

This is still a rather simple example and there are many more options:

• "safing" damage (-20% damage on normal attacks => +30% damage on special attack per normal attack prior to this)
  • build-up damage (f.e. first hit = 55%, second = 80%, third = 125%, fourth = 180%)
  • Increasing the damage of critical hits

And due to the simple fact that there is always an attacker and someone who is attacked, you can do the same calculation for the one who defends. If the attacking class had the afore mentioned 10% damage bonus, the defending could have a damage prevention bonus instead that negates the damage bonus. And this is where RO2 fails horribly.

Skills like Concentration (Knight), Bear Form (Beastmaster), Shadow Form (Assassin) or Wind Arms (Sorcerer) grant a DPS bonus that can be active all the time. However most of the contrary skills like Aura Shield (Knight) or Parrying (Warrior) are active for 10sec every 60sec.

Other defensive skills do not have the same efficiency as their aggressive counterparts. An example:

If a Sorcerer can use Frost Driver (6sec) duration that causes any lightning skill to deal double damage, their ought to be a defensive counterpart with a similar duration that halfs the damage...

So as a quick-fix, try the following:

• Any 10sec defensive skill with 120sec cooldown is altered into a 6sec ability with 30sec cooldown.
  • Any 10sec defensive skill with 60sec cooldown is modified to last for at least 30sec instead.

In this way you can balance things a bit. If a Sorcerer f.e. can use Varetyr Spear every 30sec to deal 80% damage (nearly twice the damage of a Firebolt), it would be a bit more balanced to have a defensive skill that is also usable every 30sec that reduces the damage by 40-50%. But this is true for other classes as well. A Warrior f.e. can use a Rage Strike every 20sec to deal 90% damage (but it requires 50rage). Reducing this damage to 54% (40% damage reduction) using Endure every 30sec would be quite fine.

Also compare the two Knight skills:

Concentration:

+20% damage dealt

+10% damage received

Always active, if 1 Aura is spend every 15sec (or 3 every 45sec)

Aura Shield:

-20% damage received

Can be active no more than 50% of the time

But even if you compare other skills, RO2 is really inbalanced:

Aura Heal (Knight):

+6% HP per Aura

20sec cooldown

Tension Relax (Warrior):

+6% HP per 10 Rage points distributed over 20sec

120sec cooldown

I already modified the description of Tension Relax for you to make the difference more obvious. Tension Relax recovers up to 60% HP if you spend 100 Rage points. Since 1 Aura is worth 10 Rage points, both skills can heal the same amount of HP. Activate Aura Heal 3 times in a row and you use 9 Aura Points to heal 54% HP. If you activate Tension Relax with 90 Rage Points, you also recover 54% HP.

But in the way they are, I see no reason why the Knight should have the upper-hand in healing, since both classes fill up the same "slot" or "role".

But this inbalance is so insignificant, because there are Master Healing Potions. A Healing Potion restores at least 1250 HP with one use. Assuming that you maxed out Aura Heal (18% HP), you need ~7000HP to generate the same healing result... usable only every 20sec. losing 3 Auras but saving 1.2 Zeny.

Edited by Greven79, 30 September 2013 - 08:37 AM.

#298 3596130702174734600

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:13 PM

Let me compare this to a class that needs 5 combo points (=5 melee attacks = ~10seconds) to start a finisher that deals between 1-3k damage. Most of my targets survive with 1-100 HP and no, I can't reattack fast enough to get the kill. Melee classes have to stand directly next to the opponent, usually the target runs away, making it impossible to get the kill, as we cant connect our hit.

You are not a tank, what are you expecting? At least you have the ability to freeze your attackers. This is an advantage, like wizards have teleport and rangers have their backflip. Those skills are the main reason for non-melee classes survivability. Unfortunately, for example a Rogue doesn't have such a skill.

You should try playing other classes in Colosseum, especially melee classes. Honestly, not trying to reproach, but you might get a better understanding for how enormously crucial for Colosseum it is to deal more damage in a single blow and having the possibility to attack ranged. This difference is practically the origin of imbalance. Also, killing sorcerers is far from easy. You get this understanding as soon as you play a melee as well. The very moment you will attack a sorcerer, and he freezes you, it is over. You can't attack him, he will attack you.

I have played a lot of classes so far, admitted, most on SEA, but that's not the big difference.

Power of classes is depending on the relative, average of all classes. Changes in PvP shouldn't be taken over into PvE anyways, those 2 have to be treaten individually. Actually I never saw any other mmorpg beside RO2 that used the exact same stats/damage moifications and skill effects for PvE and PvP.

I play monk/rogue in colo. I standby everything i say

#299 Greven79

Greven79

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1006 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:20 AM

I play monk/rogue in colo. I standby everything i say

I agree with everything Velouce said. I play a Warrior, so lets compare this class with a Sorcerer:

Rage Strike vs. Varetyr Spear:

Assume I can have a Rage Strike that requires no build-up points (Rage points) to use and that deals double damage to stunned targets.

I would say: "Deal!"

Pommel Attack vs. Frost Driver:

Assume a Pommel Attack that stuns a target for 5sec instead of 3sec and has a cooldown of 5sec. After an successful stun attack, the target gains a short resistence against further stunning attacks.

I would say: "DEAL, DEAL, DEAL!!!"

The issue here is that RO2 developers forgo the normal "restriction through cooldown" path and chosen a "restriction through minor effect" alternative. No other class does this. Likewise, Frost Driver is the only effect/debuff that causes an additional effect. Just assume it would be the same with stun, silenced/disoriented status effects as well? Other games like Dragon Age 2 did this, but it's simply unfair in RO2 to give this to a single class.

Battle Tactics vs. Wind Arms trigger:

What Wind Arm really does: 30% chance to trigger twice for double damage. So on the average, you could cast 3.3 Ice spells to cast 2 Lightning spells with double damage. 2 out of 5.3 (3.3+2) means a 37.5% chance for double damage. On contrast, you need 250 INT to deal +100% damage on crits with Battle Tactics.

I would also definetly say: "DEAL!".

A 37.5% crit chance is really nice to have, especially if it's IN ADDITION to a normal crit chance. Just imagine, if an assassin would have a similar skill that enables him to get into a "shadowy state" where he is still visible (but blurred) that gives him the chance that the next two attacks would do critical damage. They would love it. I would definitely forgo Battle Tactics for a Wind Arms trigger, just because you can calculate when you want to crit (the Wind Arm trigger stays active for a while).

BTW: This effect isn't even balanced by itself. If you use it with Lightning Bolt, the benefit is much, much lower than with a Spear or Thunder.

HP vs Healing:

This is the most common argument made by sorcerers: "Sorcs aren't overpowered, because the do not have the same HP total as a tank".

Basically, this is nonsense. Let's start with a simplier example: Renovatio. Although a Priest doesn't have the same HP total as a tank, it's harder to kill one just because of Renovatio (and Highness Heal, Coluseo Heal, Sanctuary). If you attack a Priest, you have to add the amount of damage healed over time to calculate the damage you have to deal in total to kill that priest.

Let's assume that Renovatio heals 500 damage per 2sec trigger, whereas you deal 1000 points of damage during the same period. If that priest has 8000 HP, how long does it takes to get that priest down to 0 HP? Without healing, it takes 8x 2sec., With healing, it takes ~16sec. During this time, you dealt a total of 16000 damage. In other words, in this example, Renovatio alone was worth a 100% HP increase.

That example might not be accurate, but it shows the benefit of heal.

The sorc uses the same strategy, but in a slightly different way:

Melee vs. Ranged Attacks:

This is the biggest issue, because its hard to balance.

Generally spoken, its impossible for my Warrior to kill any Assassin, Rogue, Wizard, Priest, Sorcerer, Crecentia, Soulmaker, Monk or Knight. All these classes have a ranged attack. Due to the fact that my Warrior isn't faster than any other character, its not possible to get into melee range at all. They can simply run away. It might take long for a rogue to kill me in this way, but sooner or later, his poisoned throwing dagger would kill me.

Therefore the only chance a Warrior has is to either kill mobs (they are too dumb to kite) or take opponents by surprise as they is busy killing each other. Other melee classes have similar problems. A rogue or assassin can stay invisible, so it's hard to run away.

You would now expect that this major drawback is balanced out by some other facts... f.e. that all classes with a ranged attack must stay put to attack ... so that a melee class would get closer on every attack.... or you would expect that the melee damage is much higher, so that once I get into melee the drawback is inversed. This would make melee a high-risk, high-reward playstyle. But RO2 developers chosen to do the ridiculous: They gave most ranged classes an additional slowing or immobilizing attack and an equally or higher damage output.

Well there is some kind of hope: Charge, Leap or teleport attacks. With them, you can overcome the distance between you and your target, but it turns out that this is irrelevant most of the time, if you can't keep them at melee range.... so this is where your damage output comes into account and the fact that your target can slow you down or immobilize you and get into ranged mode again.

To sum it up:

A Sorcerer has a higher overall damage output, has a higher burst damage, higher attack range, better cooldown/build-up skill and more HP over the course of time.

Why it isn't this a ko-fact?:

Beside the already mentioned hope for melee characters based on the chaotic business in the Coloseum, one the most popular whining arguments anti-sorc-nerf is ganging up against sorcs. Well, although all classes suffer from the simple fact that being attacked by 2 players equals receiving twice the damage, it can balance out overpowered classes a bit. However, this can become a necessity, a must-do burden for players to negate an existing inbalance.

Another sort of balancing can be similar to the "Scissor-Stone-Paper-Lizard-Spock" game. If a ranger can kill tanks easily, but are killed by sorcs, whereas the latter is easily killed by rogues, who are killed often by tanks. This is a good way to assure balance, if there is a way that the numbers can increase/decrease accordingly. But RO2 is a bad choice, since the absence of one part can destroy the whole balancing concept.

#300 3596130702174734600

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

People keep complaining about sorcerers, when rangers and priest are way more OP than them. Do any of you even try to fight priest in the first 3 rounds? If you do are you successful? Is the 1:30m spent fighting them worth it when someone DOTs them and takes it? Their healing factors need readjusting. They can keep moving and heal, they can even freely give themselves a speed buff. Sorcerers don't kill priest because they can outlast them, and the only 2 classes i know that can take them 1v1 is ranger and wiz. 
Most of you must not realize that rangers are mobile melee classes. They can just move and attack with the greatest of ease and and drain your health rapidly without you ever getting near them. Sorcs hit hard for the fragile classes yes, but by far at least mention that rangers and priest are OP as crap. 

I also like to point out that EVERY class can dodge the sorcerer's VS frozen setup. If you don't know how to, quit posting here cause you don't understand PVP yet. Try dodging the 3 status inflicts from priest, or get away from a ranger, then come back and complain about a sorc who barely killed you with 3-10s of setup.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users