Just came back to game since launch. Can anyone guide me through? - General Feedback - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Just came back to game since launch. Can anyone guide me through?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Pavelmimimi

Pavelmimimi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:01 PM

Hello, last time I played this game I reached lvl 50 sorc semisupport, but due to friends quitting the game, I followed. Recently we decided to give it another go, so I would like to ask some, maybe naive,questions, because when we were playing, the game was purely balanced around certain classes.

I was seeking for a big guide on everything, but most of them, if not all, were pretty outdated.

So my questions would be

a)game

The game changed its' name from LotS to AoV. What was the reason? Or is that the name of the expansion? What new was brought aside of new class? Just a link to a topic where I can read everything would be much appreciated.

Also, how raids are currently in the game, except for Bapho, and how many of them are nightmare ones?

b)state of roles in that game

I might be wrong, but last time I played it,  Tanks were: Knight<Warrior<Monk(?? not sure if it was viable, I recall they had steel body to be semi-decent tanks)

Healers were:Priest<=Sorc...and now we have a soulmaker, where it should be on the list?

What classes are good for CC? What classes are good for AoE DPS? What classes can be viable at any situation? How comfortable is playing a melee DPS class?

c)State of classes and their balance in game:

1.About tanks:Have warrior tanks been buffed or researched enough to try and turn warrior into Full tank?

2.Are monks vialbe to be full time tanks, if they can be considered as a tanks?

3.About healers:Is it still the same that priests are awesome at single target or tank healing, and sorcs are taken for their AoE healing and Single target damage potential?

4.What about Rogues, are they still beaten by assassins in everything when it comes to single target and AoE DPS?

5.How viable are DPS Knights and Warriors?

6.If we are a group of 4 friends who are potentially want to go through all the PvE dungeons and stuff, and one person decided on crecentia, what other classes you would advice us to pick?

Thank you for your attention, and for every answerer, that would give a brief analysis on what's going on, or link a guide that I might have missed which would answer all my question, have my gratitudes.

#2 Glukos

Glukos

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:odin

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:57 PM

lots is expansion name but game itself changed also.finding links will be hard cos changed many thing. but i ll explaim some things. when u lvl up after 50, u will be master lvl. And master lvl cap currently master lvl 35 (it is mean lvl85). now stats specialized to classes. For example :
1 agi=2 Dodge for rogue
1 agi=1 Dodge for soulmaker

#old raids currently dead cos every1 can soloing them. New raids are not fun. too strong bosses, no Mechanic, really low drop rate.
#Currently bt (battle tactic) Skill broken. thats why Warrior and knight doing very high damage. So Warrior and knight population so high compared to aov. monk is good tank and also doing good job at pvp (gulliotion fist). but currently Warrior and knight good at both dps and tank role.

#about healers, i can say priest still best healers and good at dps and pvp. BUT priest heals generating threat, Thats why healing at high lvl contents are hard. priest might got Aggro and die. in the other hand soulmaker cure skill healing good and doesn't generating threat. thats why People prefers soulmakers at high lvl contents. sorcs are nice healers but not preferring at high lvl contents like priest. if u have good gear,good runes etc. u will be ok with priest and sorc at high lvl contents.

#yes Assassin still beat rogues. but playing with rogue is fun

#crecentia doing really good pet damage. So they are very useful at end game content. if u want 4 ppl party with crecentia(pve oriented);
tank;Warrior(also doing good damage)
healer;soulmaker
dps; not sure but u guys go with Ranger, Wizard or sorc.
i hope this help.

#3 Arbalist

Arbalist

Too Legit To Quit

• RO2 Community Representative
  • 1307 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:16 AM

-Be prepared for a lot, and I mean a lot of grinding. AOV mostly centered around marketing the Master Level system, but otherwise it's just a minor name change. I would say the biggest was that formulas were altered, but old content was not updated to reflect it, and new content just being an extremely awkward power creep.

-Raids are obsolete. COA and AOV raids had the HP and Defense of its monsters boosted, making them not really suitable as a level 50 raids, yet not rewarding for higher levels. Danger factor is essentially gone once you're Master Level and appropriately geared and due to the formula changes. Awkward is honestly how I would describe it.

-All 4 tanks are very viable (you left out Beastmaster :p_sad:  ). However, the grind-heavy nature makes Monk a bit boring to grind due to slow AOE damage. Personal ranking for grinding is BM>Warrior>Knight>Monk. With high investment in armor refinement, many other classes tend to cross over into the tank category (the game is a bit too easy due to power creeping).

-All healers serve a specific purpose, but soulmakers are highly desired due to stable healing. Priests are more reliable for burst healing, Sorcerors are good for AOE healing. As long as your parties are smart, and play to the strengths of the healers, they are all good choices. I'd say they're all equal when played properly, but community usually prefers SM>Priest>Sorc as healers in grind parties.

-Crowd Control: I would say a Beastmaster with maxed Tornado and Wild Impact (easiest way to control crowds is to command threat) or a Crescentia with Mermaid Pet, using their Earthworm skill (locks monsters at 0% movespeed, so they can't move). An alternative is to replace the Crowd Control role with stun pets. Priests also work well if you invest in them.

-AOE DPS: Any magic-based class with a high level DOT pet (basically, pets are strong enough to replace players, unfortunately). The reason is because DOT damage ignores defense and new monsters have a ridiculous amount of defense. Crescentias excel at pet damage due to their Ignition passive. Warriors with high INT and Battle Tactics are really good too.

-Good in any situation: I'm a bit biased since I main Beastmaster, but I argue Grizzly Form Beastmaster because of extremely high self heals, can achieve high defense without investing money, ability to solo 90% of the games content

-Melee DPS: Monks, Assassins and Rogues may encounter difficulty looking for grind parties because of their weaker AOE ability, but have an easy time in PVP settings.  Warriors and Knights do well as Hybrid tank/DPS because Battle Tactics is overpowered. Bear Form Beastmasters are viable but I prefer using Grizzly form to play the tank role instead. Not sure if people still play Crescentias as Melee DPS, since their pet damage is more desirable.

1) Yes, warriors are great for tanking. Hybrid build with Tank focus is generally preferred over pure DPS.
2) Yes, but struggle slightly maintaining threat in grinding settings due to weaker AOE capabilities - I recommend using red potions to help generate more threat if you play it though.
3) Sure
4) Pretty much
5) Viable, but hybrid build is preferred. Main reason is INT is easy to obtain via runes and gears now.
6) All classes are fine complements, but to maximize their pet damage, Wizard, Warrior/Knight, Priests and Soulmakers are great for their buffs. 

Wow I typed a lot. Hope I didn't scare you away :P

Edited by Arbalist, 20 May 2015 - 12:20 AM.

#4 Glukos

Glukos

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Server:odin

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:47 AM

ignore arby. just give up starting again

o_o joke. more players better

#5 Pavelmimimi

Pavelmimimi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:52 PM

Thank you very much,Glukos and Arbalist! I have a feeling now that the whole point will be to play BM Cres Knight combos while they are not nerfed... In case they will be nerfed at all.

Overall, thank you for very deep and constructive answers! Well, now we just need to decide whether we want to use BM or not, as noone really wants to play in Bear form 24/7 between my group

Edit:from your post, Arbalist, I came to conclusion that we're going to play Ragnarok Online: Pokemon Trainer edition(STACK BUFFS FOR PETS OR DONT PLAY AT ALL)

Edited by Pavelmimimi, 20 May 2015 - 02:54 PM.

#6 faku1810

faku1810

Too Legit To Quit

• 1084 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:26 PM

Thank you very much,Glukos and Arbalist! I have a feeling now that the whole point will be to play BM Cres Knight combos while they are not nerfed... In case they will be nerfed at all.

Overall, thank you for very deep and constructive answers! Well, now we just need to decide whether we want to use BM or not, as noone really wants to play in Bear form 24/7 between my group

Edit:from your post, Arbalist, I came to conclusion that we're going to play Ragnarok Online: Pokemon Trainer edition(STACK BUFFS FOR PETS OR DONT PLAY AT ALL)

It's not quite so pokemonish. Arbalist replied that way because you asked what would make for better partners to a Cres, and since they're amazing with Pets, it makes sense that the best party would be one that can boost the best qualities of each other. And as a matter of fact, you'd either need to be a very tanky cres, or have a good tanker by your side because the high damage on pet means they'll get aggro quite often.

In any case, I've been in many different parties, and they all worked well when the players knew how to play their classes. If a player sucks playing, that brings down the whole party, regardless of their class. So whatever you choose, just make sure you take the time to learn what style suits you (and your party) best, and you'll be fine.

A BM doesn't need to be a bear 24/7. For the most part in levels 1-50, I only used Grizzly form when we had to fight a boss, for the extra hp + threat benefit, regular mobs are weak enough that you could use level 1 Bear Spirit to handle them. Once you hit ML, though, you'll be constantly grinding groups of monsters, and the HP + Threat bonus of a Grizzly are almost unavoidable (unless you have good gear, but even then a lot of players feel nervous with a "human" BM tank [Especially Healers XD]) but even then, being a bear is real fun so eventually you don't mind needing to transform for fights.

#7 Pavelmimimi

Pavelmimimi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:40 PM

Thanks Faku1810! But upon all the feedback I received from different people and by reading this forum, I came to idea that if we're persuading the endgame objectives, aka ML grinding and possibility to raid for the best gear, we are supposed to play BM if we want our own tank, and SM because that's what makes life easier, and there will be huge threat problems otherwise.

I hope you'd check that forum branch once again, so you could clafiry me whether I am right or wrong.

We recently started yesterday, and I haven't even touched my long-time-abandoned sorc, we rushed into leveling and had lots of fun, to be honest. At the same time, we were warned that with our group composition (potentially hybrid tanking or full tanking warrior, not decided yet, priest healer, cres and ranger +1 person we'll get from group finder chat), we won't be able to go far, due to the fact that eventually on grinding, on last 10 MLs, warrior tank would be rubbish and might have problems with aggro with priest and cres doing damn big numbers, and therefore priest would cause troubles with that as well(and we would need to reroll to SM and BM, respectively, to not to let the team down). I am already regretting idea that I decided to tank for our group(wanted to play knight first of all, because dude with shield feels legit as a tank, but oh well mighty balance makes warrior look better in everything except 1shot Boomerangs in pvp), since everyday there are 10000 arguments about total BM domination on both grinding and raid boss farming, and I'm not really into playing a polymorphic type of character. Am I seeing things in a very negative spectre, or warrior priest would legit need to reroll to damage dealers if they want ML35 and don't wanna cause troubles to group?

#8 Arbalist

Arbalist

Too Legit To Quit

• 1307 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:24 PM

I think the composition is absolutely fine, so you must be getting bad advice. But I can see why people think that way, so let me try to break it down.

First of all, because of Battle Tactics, Warriors have the best threat, hands down. You shouldn't have problems with aggro as long as you are appropriately geared. If your priest is playing smart, they won't out-threat you. A common mistake is to use "Highness Heal" on the entire group, whether they need it or not. This is the cause of additional threat - they generate 5x as much threat as they need to. As long as Highness Heal is affecting only one person, they only generate 25% of the heal amount - easy enough to handle. To achieve this however, proper communication and positioning is required from your DPS. That's the second common issue - players standing in odd locations or running ahead of the tank and taking unnecessary damage. In every single grind location, there are safe spots for DPS to stand, so this should not be an issue once they learn to position properly. Randomly put together groups tend to have poor communication, which generally results in these problems, but that won't be the case for you and you shouldn't have trouble. The key is to learn when mistakes are being made, and figure out how to best overcome them as a team. 

If you are struggling to handle the grind, there are many tools that you can acquire to make you a bit stronger or to ease the damage. I would say a recent problem with the community is the rush to reach end-game, without stopping to pick up these tools. This includes game mechanic knowledge, proper level gear, seeds and runes, utility pets (stun, heal, damage), and if you really want to spend a bit of money, refinement. Now you don't have to get the high end of these tools to play the game well - a common misconception. Even the most basic of these are sufficient so don't fall into the trap of thinking "this will be too expensive" - I am speaking from a very free-to-play player's experience. I can write novels of info to elaborate but I won't. Don't forget that priests and warriors have access to AOE stuns - these will go a long way to minimize damage. Some of the better priests I've had the privilege to play with command their stuns so well, that they don't even need tanks for grinding.

I have said this before but I'll say it again in this thread: As long as you are a smart player, your class choice will not handicap you. Play the ones that attract you the most. I play my wizard as a tank - that's right, a tank - and I haven't even refined my gear yet :) Play something that is fun for you, not to fit the mold of others. Enjoy!

Edited by Arbalist, 21 May 2015 - 06:14 PM.

#9 Pavelmimimi

Pavelmimimi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:37 PM

I was following a misconception, thanks again for clarifications!

#10 faku1810

faku1810

Too Legit To Quit

• 1084 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:58 PM

Thanks Faku1810! But upon all the feedback I received from different people and by reading this forum, I came to idea that if we're persuading the endgame objectives, aka ML grinding and possibility to raid for the best gear, we are supposed to play BM if we want our own tank, and SM because that's what makes life easier, and there will be huge threat problems otherwise.

I hope you'd check that forum branch once again, so you could clafiry me whether I am right or wrong.

We recently started yesterday, and I haven't even touched my long-time-abandoned sorc, we rushed into leveling and had lots of fun, to be honest. At the same time, we were warned that with our group composition (potentially hybrid tanking or full tanking warrior, not decided yet, priest healer, cres and ranger +1 person we'll get from group finder chat), we won't be able to go far, due to the fact that eventually on grinding, on last 10 MLs, warrior tank would be rubbish and might have problems with aggro with priest and cres doing damn big numbers, and therefore priest would cause troubles with that as well(and we would need to reroll to SM and BM, respectively, to not to let the team down). I am already regretting idea that I decided to tank for our group(wanted to play knight first of all, because dude with shield feels legit as a tank, but oh well mighty balance makes warrior look better in everything except 1shot Boomerangs in pvp), since everyday there are 10000 arguments about total BM domination on both grinding and raid boss farming, and I'm not really into playing a polymorphic type of character. Am I seeing things in a very negative spectre, or warrior priest would legit need to reroll to damage dealers if they want ML35 and don't wanna cause troubles to group?

I'm not really in a position where i can talk about the last 5 levels of grinding. But I've been through a  number of grinding parties on my way to ML30.

Let's see... To make it short: yes, BM+SM would definitely do well as a tank healer combo in any party. But this is due to different factors, for example, BMs are (or feel, not sure) kinda slow while walking, but can attack enemies easily while running so luring with aggro is easier (less chance of a mob suddenly resetting and attacking the ones behind you, which i've seen happen a lot with knights and warriors that prefer to just run, which is imo a very half assed way to lure). Plus, the high HP allows them to take on a beating without too much worry, the only down is that the DPS of bears isn't high to begin with, so you'll depend on the other members for the damage part. Knights and Warriors have a higher damage rate when they invest in INT, due to broken tactics. So getting crits with Brandish Storm is enough to kill the whole lure. This means that parties with them are usually faster, since you don't waste too much time in each spot. (Sadly, this has created a lot of "dumb" tanks that run ahead, forgetting they can die, and blaming the healers they left behind for not healing them).

This is where SMs have a somewhat advantage over other healers, Cure is OP, and lasts for 30 seconds. And it can be used from a higher distance compared to a Renovatio for example. Some soullinks are pretty nice, but in parties where you have to move often, they're not that useful (osiris for example). Also, SM can make most of their skills into AoEs, so they can use the time between Cures to deal some damage too.

Priests on the other hand, are very limited in range, and also limited on heals. The issue here is that heals turn 25% of the heal amount into threat (the total shown in combat log, not the amount of HP you actually restored), this is particularly deadly with skills like Highness Heal that can crit for 70k+ thanks to a sort of "battle tactics" that priests have (increases the value of crit heals). Keep in mind this rule affects all the individual heals, so if you happened to crit heal 5 people in a party... well, you see.. That's why you'll see many priests that are either DPS oriented or focus on Renovatio and Blessing only. I was told that Coluceo Heal is better than Highness Heal precisely because it "restores to full HP", so the threat would actually be 25% of what was healed, so if you really want to go with Priest, you have to keep those things in mind.

I haven't been in many parties with Sorcerers, sadly. If i remember correctly, they depend mainly on LoR and have a HoT that's chance based, so they can't easily keep you healed while you lure. They have buffs for defense and to boost their heals, though, so that sort of compensates. I say "easily" because they actually can use direct heals on the tank, but here again you gotta keep threat in mind, because fun, they have the same sort of crit passive that priests have. And i'm not sure about the range. You also have Deluge that boosts HP + heal, but it has a long cd and long animation, so you gotta prepare in advance to use it if you think you'll need it.

So as I said, it's mostly about knowing your class and learning how to use them well. If you play smart, and your teammates play smart too, then none will cause trouble to the group. This is very important for tanks, because for them, it's all about threat generation. If you think that a tank is just running around to get the monsters attention and then bring them back, then you're failing as a tank. Chances are that you'll either lose their aggro while running, or you'll come back and the DPS will steal the aggro on a single attack before you start attacking. Or even worse, you come back hurt, healer heals you, and they grab all the monsters (my Sorc friend died once in the 5 minutes it took me to get a drink because my "replacement" lured monsters in Tiger form and brought them back to her, not even switching back to attack). So you have to know how to keep threat high, either by using potions (except Explorers, any heal potion causes threat), using Mass Provoke/Beast Roar, etc at the right times. Using stun pets, or boosting your party's strength in other ways. I'd even go as far as "training" to know when you shouldn't do something if you know it can outthreat the tank and get you killed.

After all, that's what this game should be about, teamplay and knowing how to boost your team's good points and counter the downsides.

I'm really sorry about the wall of text >_> if you're interested to take a deeper look in how healers work in this game, take a look at Tou's guide : http://forums.warppo...ng-class-guide/

She's still posting it, but it should be a good reference since it's mainly oriented to Grind Heals.

Edited by faku1810, 21 May 2015 - 06:30 PM.

#11 Emilizzard

Emilizzard

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Server:Odin ofc <3

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:27 PM

Just finished posting the heal guide, so hopefully it will be useful to you! You should definitely have your healer look over the section of the class their playing, it should help a bunch. I also ended up including a bunch of non-grind stuff for the purpose of boss fights and such. And to emphasize what Arbalist has already stated and what I say in my guide... never underestimate the power of AoE stuns! When I'm on my priest, I'm always prepared to use the Aspersio+Judex combo to stun monsters if I need a bit of extra time to heal.

my Priest friend died once in the 5 minutes it took me to get a drink because my "replacement" lured monsters in Tiger form and brought them back to her, not even switching back to attack

I was actually on my Sorcerer at the time  :sob: and I wasn't able to handle the entire lure on my own, since nobody else was around to help either.

#12 Pavelmimimi

Pavelmimimi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:38 PM

All the information has been acknowledged, thanks !

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users