Drak231

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:46 AM

By the way you do go to the first floor right? Here : http://db.irowiki.or...-info/c_tower2/

There are less over there

#27 Anchors

Anchors

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • Server:Chaos, when it's up

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:46 PM

On a side note, for the SS/SW build, one really easy place to level (if you have the FWings or Creamy card to get there at least somewhat quickly) after you have 5+ SW is Coal Mines 3; as long as you FWing away from the Cramps, OHKO SS against Skel Workers is easy to achieve. SW also makes defeating Mysts simple since they have pretty low aspd.

Cramps also aren't as frequent an interruption as Familiars are. x.x

Also, for the Fire wall build, one thing you can do with vFW is lure small mobs of undead (or large mobs of anything else) through all three cells of FW for a pretty quick mob kills. Large mobs will take some time, but, for slow, mobbable monsters like Alarms, you can group them, vFW, move two cells over, vFW again, lather, rinse, repeat. Kind of depends on your luck with lag, though. >.> As a wizard, Quag will allow for easier large mob control.

That said, are there any non-intuitive tips for a player new to the SW/SS way of leveling? Or am I doomed to chains of SW, offensive spell, repeat until transcendance or a skill reset? o.o

#28 Drak231

Drak231

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:39 AM

That said, are there any non-intuitive tips for a player new to the SW/SS way of leveling? Or am I doomed to chains of SW, offensive spell, repeat until transcendance or a skill reset? o.o

Well... there are no "tricks" like vFW for instance. And "offensive spell" is pretty vast actually you shouldn't get too much bored :o

#29 Anchors

Anchors

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:12 AM

Ha ha, guess I'll tough it out til Wizard after all, then :o Thanks~

#30 thermalcry

thermalcry

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:03 PM

What's the best way to get gear? Farming for the actual item or just farming expensive materials to save for the high priced stuff?

#31 Drak231

Drak231

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:33 AM

I would say option 2. Look up "V. Preparing for transcendent class"

It also depends on the gear you're looking for

#32 thermalcry

thermalcry

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:55 AM

I need a phen card really bad, but they are so pricey :o Im 86 now and its getting pretty tough to level. Soloing is becoming more and more dangerous since most mobs are agro. A phen card would help a ton, but I dont have nearly the 2.2mil to get one.

#33 Anchors

Anchors

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:17 AM

I think you mentioned that you have FW earlier in the topic. You could go to Porcellios south of Einbroch I think, Stapos (never been to the map but apparently in a Veins field), or even Siromas in Ice Dungeon 1 if you have LB (they're not fire-immune so FW would work, just watch out for Gazetis); all three monsters are passive and of appropriate level. Just set up your (v)FW first, and in the case of the fire-weak monsters, cast something quick to get your target to run into it, and follow up as you like~

#34 Drak231

Drak231

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:09 PM

Yep, I'd say Ice dungeon is a good option in this case! JT mostly and perhaps LoV.

Also, if you are VIP or want to pay once for the over-looked water dungeon (http://irowiki.org/w..._Dungeon_Quests), you can get a phen card when you complete all the quests.

Note that it's only from level 30-75, so you'd have to do it with another char or when you trans!

#35 Anchors

Anchors

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:49 PM

Bring a party, though, because floor 4 will take forever if you try to avoid the mobs. x.x

#36 thermalcry

thermalcry

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:06 PM

I made a Sin recently. He makes so much money with steal and stuff. Got a hydra card dropped too, so as soon as I can make a merch to sell it or find someone to trade, ill be a little more than half way to the phen card.

Ive tried hunt porcellios, but the problem with them is they are so quick moving, and a lot of other mobs on the map are looters. So ive had times where i kill a portcellio, then 4 mettallings or whatever theyre called run into my firewall trying to steal the loot ... then i have to run off for a little bit so they stop chasing me. Its not like im dying a lot or anything, but like I said, leveling is extremely slow that way.

#37 Drak231

Drak231

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:14 AM

Trick: Make firewall (X), drop item on floor (Y), cast MS (Y), drop item on floor to make sure they stay (Y), run behind your Firewall (Z). Not sure if it works though, never tried it with firewall lol.

Y

X

Z

#38 Hamidemian

Hamidemian

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:51 PM

A tip regarding Eden quests: try to package them for 100% efficiency.

From the lvl 11-25 branch
- Muka + Peco Peco: Same map both mobs, the fastest way to level, bring Firebolt for Muka and Cold Bolt for Peco Peco (lvl 4 would do it).
- Theif Bug Egg + Familiar + Spore (+ Possibly Poisong Spore in lvl 3): Culvert sweeping like a boss.

From the lvl 26-40 branch
- TBH the quests here are only for the Pots, the exp is only 1000 which is almost non existant.
- BUT Mages can One Hit KO Yoyos near Prontera.

From the lvl 41-55 branch
- Kukre + Vadons + Marse + Cornutus: Byalan dungeon mayhem. Go to Izlude, top right corner, take the boat. Lightning bolt 4 would do the trick, you can one hit everything once you get enough MATK. You can always firewall them away.
- Orc Warriors + Orc Babies + Orc Skeletons + Zenorcs: Orc fest. You need FBolt and Firewall, vertical Firewall for Orc Skeletons would help as they penetrate it very easily (horizontal won't kill them right away). You can also sweep Orc dungeon 1 (Orc Zombies), get to lvl 2, Zenorcs + Skeletons and then out for the Warriors and Babies. Potions needed.

After that the quests themselves are sets of mobs so no problem there.

#39 GeneralKrakus

GeneralKrakus

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:37 PM

Why do you suggest 30 LUK, instead of dumping those points into DEX? According to your info above, LUK adds a little bit more MATK than DEX, and adding a lot to DEX doesn't actually decrease cast time as much as one would think. But, if my math is correct, putting all those points into DEX instead of LUK yields higher DPS than the 30 LUK you suggest (slightly lower MATK of DEX is made up for in casting time reduction). Having the 30 LUK would give a little better perfect dodge (compare 4.2 dodge at 30 LUK with 2.1 dodge at 9 LUK), but I don't think having that little bit of extra dodge is going to make a huge difference. Are my calculations wrong here, or am I missing something?

I ran everything through a stat calculator to check (kept the 64 VIT as you suggested). With 30 LUK, it comes out to 327 DPS; with those points into DEX instead, it comes out to 349 DPS. And not to nitpick, but the stat calc said you could have 60 DEX with 30 LUK, not 50, so these DPS values reflect the higher DEX levels

Edited by GeneralKrakus, 10 July 2011 - 10:38 PM.

#40 Anchors

Anchors

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:34 AM

I think Luk also grants resistance to some status effects, but where are the DPS numbers coming from? Are you using this stat calculator? If so, what monster and which spell?

#41 Drak231

Drak231

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:53 PM

Why do you suggest 30 LUK, instead of dumping those points into DEX? According to your info above, LUK adds a little bit more MATK than DEX, and adding a lot to DEX doesn't actually decrease cast time as much as one would think. But, if my math is correct, putting all those points into DEX instead of LUK yields higher DPS than the 30 LUK you suggest (slightly lower MATK of DEX is made up for in casting time reduction). Having the 30 LUK would give a little better perfect dodge (compare 4.2 dodge at 30 LUK with 2.1 dodge at 9 LUK), but I don't think having that little bit of extra dodge is going to make a huge difference. Are my calculations wrong here, or am I missing something?

I ran everything through a stat calculator to check (kept the 64 VIT as you suggested). With 30 LUK, it comes out to 327 DPS; with those points into DEX instead, it comes out to 349 DPS. And not to nitpick, but the stat calc said you could have 60 DEX with 30 LUK, not 50, so these DPS values reflect the higher DEX levels

DEX : Relatively low decrease cast-time like described in the guide. 5 Dex = 1 MAtk + MDef
LUK : 3 LUK: MATK +1; 5 LUK: Flee +1; 10 LUK: Perfect Dodge +1; 5 LUK: Reduces enemy's chance of landing a critical attack by 1%;

Not updated to renewal:
Resistance to some status effects:
Blind: slightly decreases chance from being inflicted
Curse: -1% chance from being inflicted
Frozen: slightly decreases from being inflicted
Poison: slightly decreases chance from being inflicted (exact value unknown)
Silence: slightly decreases from being inflicted
Sleep: slightly decreases from being inflicted
Stone Curse: slightly decreases chance from being inflicted
Stun: slightly decreases chance from being inflicted, -0.01 seconds duration

LUK all the way...!

Also, I took all my info from irowiki and I don't think I made any mistakes in the calculations. Everything is described in the guide. You can verify on irowiki. By that, I mean the 99 int/50 dex / 30 luk/ 64 vit should be the maximum number of points distributed. I don't remember my final build when I was 99 wiz so I can't say for sure, but if you check on irowiki, the numbers should be correct.

Let's see now:
30 luk = +10 Matk
30 luk = 10*2+10*3+9*4 = 86 points

86 points from 50 dex is 6+10*7+8 = 84 points => 62 dex
=> http://irowiki.org/wiki/Stats

12 dex = +2,4 Matk
castTime = (1 - SQRT((DEX * 2 + INT) / 530)) * (1 - sum_castReduction/100%) * baseCast * 0.8 + (1 - max_fixedReduction/100%) * baseCast * 0.2
If you go see all the calculations in the guide and make a similar one, you can see that 12 dex is about 3% cast reduction total.

Now, I'm not sure about the DPS to be honest. Is 2,4 Matk + 3% cast reduction have a higher DPS or is it 10 Matk? The thing you should still consider is the all the other benefits from luk.

Sorry for the long reply!

#42 GeneralKrakus

GeneralKrakus

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:17 PM

I think Luk also grants resistance to some status effects, but where are the DPS numbers coming from? Are you using this stat calculator? If so, what monster and which spell?

Don't remember which calculator I used, probably one of the first ones that came up when I Googled "ragnarok stat calc"

DEX : Relatively low decrease cast-time like described in the guide. 5 Dex = 1 MAtk + MDef
LUK : 3 LUK: MATK +1; 5 LUK: Flee +1; 10 LUK: Perfect Dodge +1; 5 LUK: Reduces enemy's chance of landing a critical attack by 1%;

Not updated to renewal:
Resistance to some status effects:
Blind: slightly decreases chance from being inflicted
Curse: -1% chance from being inflicted
Frozen: slightly decreases from being inflicted
Poison: slightly decreases chance from being inflicted (exact value unknown)
Silence: slightly decreases from being inflicted
Sleep: slightly decreases from being inflicted
Stone Curse: slightly decreases chance from being inflicted
Stun: slightly decreases chance from being inflicted, -0.01 seconds duration

LUK all the way...!

Also, I took all my info from irowiki and I don't think I made any mistakes in the calculations. Everything is described in the guide. You can verify on irowiki. By that, I mean the 99 int/50 dex / 30 luk/ 64 vit should be the maximum number of points distributed. I don't remember my final build when I was 99 wiz so I can't say for sure, but if you check on irowiki, the numbers should be correct.

Let's see now:
30 luk = +10 Matk
30 luk = 10*2+10*3+9*4 = 86 points

86 points from 50 dex is 6+10*7+8 = 84 points => 62 dex
=> http://irowiki.org/wiki/Stats

12 dex = +2,4 Matk
castTime = (1 - SQRT((DEX * 2 + INT) / 530)) * (1 - sum_castReduction/100%) * baseCast * 0.8 + (1 - max_fixedReduction/100%) * baseCast * 0.2
If you go see all the calculations in the guide and make a similar one, you can see that 12 dex is about 3% cast reduction total.

Now, I'm not sure about the DPS to be honest. Is 2,4 Matk + 3% cast reduction have a higher DPS or is it 10 Matk? The thing you should still consider is the all the other benefits from luk.

Sorry for the long reply!

I appreciate the long reply, nice to see helpful people.

As far as the DPS goes, you'll have better damage at lower levels with more LUK and better damage at higher levels with DEX. At low levels (lets say 110 MATK compared to 102.4 MATK), the extra 7.6 MATK from the LUK represents a relatively large gap (~7.5%) between the MATK from LUK and DEX, and the reduction in casting time can't make up for this gap. However, at higher levels (let's say 410 MATK compared to 402.4 MATK), that 7.6 MATK makes up a much smaller fraction of the overall MATK (~2%), making it less significant; couple this with the reduced casting time and you have a tad higher DPS.

The way I see it, it basically comes down to your style of play, who you play with, and what you intend on doing with your mage. With the amount of aggressives at high levels, I tend to run around a lot, and the slightly faster cast buys me a little more time to run away from things. I also tend to play with a priest, so the slightly better overall survivability that LUK offers doesn't concern me as much. If you PvP a lot (I don't, at least not yet), I'm sure the LUK would benefit much more than the DEX, as status effects and crits are much more common there than in PvM.

#43 ReikonKeiri

ReikonKeiri

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:49 PM

I can't remember exactly how I got ahold of them, but an NPC gave me 2 Manual's of Battle (or I think thats what they were called, they increased the exp% I gained) and 15 Level 10 Blessing and Increase AGI Scrolls. These help you level faster, much faster. I left the training grounds at lvl 10, instead of 12. The only effect it had on me is that I was slightly ahead of the guide for a short time. I'm level 26/26 and going by your guide I should be moving on to the ant hell after having just maxed fire bolt, but yet I've passed that and am now at level 6 on fire wall. Also I thought it might confuse people in your guide just alittle, but when you have the list for the skills and how many points need to go into them, I would suggest mentioning (for the extremely new players, or people like myself who haven't played in the last 4 or 5 years) that Sight at level one is a prerequisite as well for starting fire wall.

Edit:Oh, and so far by all of my experiences, eden quests aren't giving out potions.

Edited by ReikonKeiri, 15 August 2011 - 07:00 PM.

#44 Anchors

Anchors

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:25 PM

A few things...

- The battle manuals, buff scrolls, and yellow BWings are a new addition to the novice experience that was added after this guide was written.
- The quests before base 26 and after base 40 do not give out potions - only the quests available between those levels. Or did you do a quest at level 26 and not receive potions?

#45 Drak231

Drak231

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:08 PM

I can't remember exactly how I got ahold of them, but an NPC gave me 2 Manual's of Battle (or I think thats what they were called, they increased the exp% I gained) and 15 Level 10 Blessing and Increase AGI Scrolls. These help you level faster, much faster. I left the training grounds at lvl 10, instead of 12. The only effect it had on me is that I was slightly ahead of the guide for a short time. I'm level 26/26 and going by your guide I should be moving on to the ant hell after having just maxed fire bolt, but yet I've passed that and am now at level 6 on fire wall. Also I thought it might confuse people in your guide just alittle, but when you have the list for the skills and how many points need to go into them, I would suggest mentioning (for the extremely new players, or people like myself who haven't played in the last 4 or 5 years) that Sight at level one is a prerequisite as well for starting fire wall.

I wasn't aware of this... like said, it's a new addition. Considering this, it would have been wise to keep them for the last levels if their weight is 0 (is it novice battle manuals or something?), if not then should have used for the last mage levels at least or keep them to sell them (if it's not account bound).

The thing about sight has been added and the other stuff have been adressed in the post above.

#46 pr42

pr42

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • LocationSection ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
  • Server:Valkryie

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

Thank You Drak and everybody else that has contributed to this guide, has indeed come very usefull to us who just starting this class set.

#47 K1D4

K1D4

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

Mages are sort of awesome..

#48 Miloth

Miloth

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

Hello Guy
Thai just start new server with no Hi class no 3rd job no soullinker / gun slinger /etc.

I use to play only professor

and my dream is meteor spell

So after google your guide are only guide that suggest Meteor

I'm 80/30 wizard now
max meteor stormgust jupitel

but everyone around me said that meteor spell is useless
bot war of emperium and PVM

It's made me sad T_T
any support for meteor spell ?

and about status
I agree with you to get only 50 dex
so I can get other status (It's only 10 % different of non fix cast time isn't it ?)

and again other said you must put 99 int 99 dex or else your wizard will not be powerful

Now int 99 dex 50
should I
get more vit first or luck ?

and in Thaiserver there's only eden equipment quest 3 (Staff II)
Are they good enough till 99 ?

Ps. will you make sage guide ?

Best regards
-Milo-

#49 Drak231

Drak231

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

Hello Guy
Thai just start new server with no Hi class no 3rd job no soullinker / gun slinger /etc.

I use to play only professor

and my dream is meteor spell

So after google your guide are only guide that suggest Meteor

I'm 80/30 wizard now
max meteor stormgust jupitel

but everyone around me said that meteor spell is useless
bot war of emperium and PVM

It's made me sad T_T
any support for meteor spell ?

and about status
I agree with you to get only 50 dex
so I can get other status (It's only 10 % different of non fix cast time isn't it ?)

and again other said you must put 99 int 99 dex or else your wizard will not be powerful

Now int 99 dex 50
should I
get more vit first or luck ?

and in Thaiserver there's only eden equipment quest 3 (Staff II)
Are they good enough till 99 ?

Ps. will you make sage guide ?

Best regards
-Milo-

Hello, basically, if I understood correctly, you're on a provate server? If so, there may be a lot of different stuff that apply over there than on iro.

What I like about mage class is that they are versatile. Having a Fire AoE spell can be useful, but it depends where. It depends on how you level.

For instance, it's better doing MS in a place like Einbroch dungeon than doing SG+JT.

Not only that, but there isn't any real replacement for it.

As for the "10 % different of non fix cast time isn't it", I'm not sure to understand your question.

If it's still as it was a year ago (I haven't tested anything since then), then fixed cast time (depending on the spell) is generally 20% of total cast time.

If by powerful you mean MAtk, than the people you mentioned are wrong. Luk gives more MAtk than dex (again this is on renewal server!!).

As for the vit versus luk question, it depends on your gear. Are you constantly dying? Do you have a SW build or FW build?

Also, please note that this guide hasn't really been updated for 2 years. I won't be doing a sage guide unfortunatly

#50 Miloth

Miloth

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

It's official server
name Angeling (renewal)

10 % non fix cast time
I mean
You said dex 99 = 62 %
dex 50 = 52 % decrease

So it's only 10 % different isn't it ?

powerful I mean useful

since 3 luck = 1 matk
do 30 luck = 10 matk

is better than leveling vit first ?

my equipment are all from
eden equipment quest 3
and I have friend you play priest so I rarely die

I'm fire wall build

haven't update for 2 years T-T
this guide still work isn't it ?
Do you think int 99 dex 99 is better now ?

Thank

Edited by Miloth, 01 June 2013 - 07:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users