Disconnected from server...a lot - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Disconnected from server...a lot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Verarticus

Verarticus

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:19 PM

Well I started playing Ragnarok and was having fun playing fine but after a while the game disconnected me. I thought, well maybe its just something with my connection. I checked and it was fine so i tried again, played fine for a while then disconnected again. I tried a few more times and the same thing happened every time.

Is there anything I can do about this?

#2 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:48 AM

Describe how the disconnects happen.

What are you doing in game? Is there something that seems to trigger them? Are they preceeded by a lag spike? Do they happen in town? While talking to npcs? etc

What kind of network connection do you have?
If you're using wireless, does the problem still happen if you turn off wireless and connect to the modem/router with a cable? Wireless networks often drop.

Is there anything else weird about your setup?

#3 Verarticus

Verarticus

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:04 PM

well I'll just be walking around or fighting or anything really then suddenly I'm disconnected. Sometimes there's a little freeze before it but not every time. As far as I can tell there's no real trigger.

I have a wireless connection and it's having some troubles right now...gotta look into that. But I still have internet connection and can run things fine. I really can't plug into the modem for how I'm set up (my dads computer and the modem is upstairs and I'm downstairs) and I'll sometimes have a random drop when I start using the internet lately but the rest of the times the disconnection is just out of the blue.

I'm just using a wireless card (internal not a USB)

#4 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:05 PM

It sounds to me like your problem is your wireless acting up. Wireless isn't, never has been, and probably never will be suitable for gaming. The reliability just isn't there, too many things can break wireless momentarilly, and while a browser or email or msn client can deal with that (in fact, the messenger clients can be disconnected from the server, but won't tell the user unless they can't reconnect after a minute or two), a game cannot. There are sites with more information about trying to deal with wireless connectivity problems, which might fix it....

Personally, I just run wires. Our summer home (new construction) has like 15-20 network ports for a 5 room cottage, and we've strung cable to every place we can get it in my parents' house - strung it next to the pipes from basement modem to third floor, then from there, we could drop it down through the walls to get it to the second floor. First floor, you come up to the baseboards from below if possible, but many places had a firestop, forcing more creativity. Wires-out-windows networking is an option that i've been forced to use on occasion. Certainly testing by using wires should be your next debugging step (even if it means lugging the computer down stairs), IMO.

#5 Verarticus

Verarticus

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:19 PM

Honestly I've had no problems with my wireless connection (we might have messed up the card though with moving it to a new computer though, but i doubt it) and I'm really not having lag its just a, SURPRISE! your Disconnected. This hasn't happened on any other game I've played so I really don't think that its my connection.

(I can play Vindictus on full graphics, and can play a lot of other games that are more intense on the connection just
fine.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users