COMPLETE-Chaos 1/11 hardware fix-it - Page 2 - Renewal Patch Notes - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

COMPLETE-Chaos 1/11 hardware fix-it

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
176 replies to this topic

#26 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

No news from our IT guys yet. I have requested an update.

#27 MrTyranitar

MrTyranitar

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2298 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:lol

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

I think they're making a hard-drive on their own, I don't think they're buying a new one...

#28 Azyrk

Azyrk

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1884 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

lol IT guys gonna get some hate if WoE breaks saturday.

#29 Chisami

Chisami

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCali
  • Server:Transcendence (currently)

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

Good, then we can skip the next Tuesday maintenance, since they are doing those things today. Right? ; )

#30 frohzn

frohzn

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 876 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

i think they make a new raid system and this take abit ^^

#31 Chisami

Chisami

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCali

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

Someone should remind the IT guys what customer's are and how impatient we get - LOL (1 PM is 1PM, NO?)

#32 Zangeon

Zangeon

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Guess this means extended maint with 0 compensation, I'm going to take a nap.

#33 TheCopyCat

TheCopyCat

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

i think they went to their breaks to eat or something o-oU

#34 Akilez

Akilez

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1746 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara, Mexico

What a waste of VIP, feels like not get it anymore if this keep going like this

#35 frohzn

frohzn

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

Q.Q yeah soo hard such a maintance Q Q (lol)

#36 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

Oda wantsa camera? Does he?

Posted Image

Neck camera, midgear is hard to realistically visualize unless the camera magically supports itself, or is like some spy glasses or something (which is then not so much camera).

#37 Azyrk

Azyrk

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1884 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

You guys are angry for them fixing something before it breaks? ._.
Guess better just let it break next time. Posted Image

#38 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

I know hardware can fail... but I also know that proper servers have redundancy and are hot-swap-able...
so you can change hdds on the fly...

Yes, and if your server doesn't have easy removal drive bays (many server chassis do not), you still need to turn it off unless you like disassembling rackmounted computers while they're running. I draw the line at disassembling laptops while they're running, personally, and I prefer to stick to desktops.

And if it's a RAID array with one failed drive, and you realize that all the drives are old and likely to fail soon, you'd be a damned fool to just hotswap the one bad drive and pray that the RAID rebuilt itself before another drive failed. You'd take the server offline, and copy the contents of the old RAID into the new array, and swap em.

The delay is probably because they're cloning the old drives onto the new ones, and an (the) old drive(s) are running slow because they're getting read errors.

Edited by DrAzzy, 11 January 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#39 Hireme

Hireme

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

this is getting realling annoying...
5 maint in 2 weeks, screwed up merger, as a reward cut vip exp bonus by half back to 50%, removing dbl exp

guys its enough ... GET IT TOGETHER at this point it looks like you WANT to screw with us ...

#40 Rueghn

Rueghn

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

I think RO maintenance times have been to the School of Valve and got a Masters Degree in Valve Time

#41 epoch

epoch

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

#42 frohzn

frohzn

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Yes, and if your server doesn't have easy removal drive bays (many server chassis do not), you still need to turn it off unless you like disassembling rackmounted computers while they're running. I draw the line at disassembling laptops while they're running, personally, and I prefer to stick to desktops.

And if it's a RAID array with one failed drive, and you realize that all the drives are old and likely to fail soon, you'd be a damned fool to just hotswap the one bad drive and pray that the RAID rebuilt itself before another drive failed. You'd take the server offline, and copy the contents of the old RAID into the new array, and swap em.

The delay is probably because they're cloning the old drives onto the new ones, and an (the) old drive(s) are running slow because they're getting read errors.

+1

#43 Raudi2

Raudi2

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 688 posts
  • LocationMexico Df
  • Server:Valkyrie

and i see other mant tomorrow fox fix /memo en woe maps ;s

#44 GreatMajah

GreatMajah

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 240 posts

Yes, and if your server doesn't have easy removal drive bays (many server chassis do not), you still need to turn it off unless you like disassembling rackmounted computers while they're running.

Yeah, I've seen a couple of our main servers at work and I'm glad there is someone else working on them! It sucks but they also said they would be doing some regular maintanance type stuff too. Its that stuff that runs into more frequent problems and delays. :dunno:

#45 Chisami

Chisami

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCali

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

Hmm, I wonder if the 'alert' to HD issues had anything to do with my vendor losing items when closing up shop right before maintenance.....

Edited by Chisami, 11 January 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#46 Sophosis

Sophosis

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

this is getting realling annoying...
5 maint in 2 weeks, screwed up merger, as a reward cut vip exp bonus by half back to 50%, removing dbl exp

guys its enough ... GET IT TOGETHER at this point it looks like you WANT to screw with us ...

The merger was a big, big, deal. There were bound to be hiccups (could it have gone smoother? sure.. still bound to have been bumpy.) They didn't cut VIP back as a "reward," they put it back to it's original spec. It was never intended to be double VIP reward forever. This maint didn't really have anything to do with merger, either (though, they're using the opportunity.) Preventative maintenance. Downtime now, or total loss later... If they were really told it would take 1 hour and the hardware maintenance is actually taking longer.. there's nothing they can do about it except keep you informed, which Oda seems to have been doing.

If you get really bored/anxious, gave some entertaining IT related reading: http://bofh.ntk.net/...0/bastard01.php

#47 Rueghn

Rueghn

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

At least they aren't Apple Servers.

#48 Lazerbomb

Lazerbomb

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

inb4 WoE cancelled for tomorrow due to maint still going on lolololol

#49 Hireme

Hireme

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Yes, and if your server doesn't have easy removal drive bays (many server chassis do not), you still need to turn it off unless you like disassembling rackmounted computers while they're running.

You don't buy all hdds from the same lot so it is less likely that they fail together if one fails,
You have triple redundancy AND hotspare, so you can change them one by one... and always have double redundancy while doing so... with 4cent/GB and less this isn't to costly to acquire...

In any case even if you prepare a completely new raid you do so BEFORE shutting down, setting up the new raid, copying data, shutting down, exchange disks and be up and running in the time it takes to exchange the disks.

#50 Chisami

Chisami

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCali

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

This would be a good time for an update. We are left to assume the server will be up shortly because there hasn't been an update with information to tell us otherwise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users