Suggestion: Health percentages. - Ragnarok 2 Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Suggestion: Health percentages.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Fold

Fold

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • LocationPallet Town
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

So I dunno if alot of people know this, but most boss abilities activate when a boss reaches a certain health percentage. So I was thinking it would be a good idea to add a health percentage to the end of the current / max health setup on the health bars. This serves two functions:

1. Removes the "randomness" of boss abilities - people will be able to properly coordinate cooldowns or prepare for certain boss abilities instead of re-actively dealing with it.

2. Enables classes with an execute type mechanic (Lex Divina for Priests) to use it at the right time.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Fold, 24 April 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#2 Reifnir

Reifnir

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

So I dunno if alot of people know this, but most boss abilities activate when a boss reaches a certain health percentage. So I was thinking it would be a good idea to add a health percentage to the end of the current / max health setup on the health bars. This serves two functions:

1. Removes the "randomness" of boss abilities - people will be able to properly coordinate cooldowns or prepare for certain boss abilities instead of re-actively dealing with it.

2. Enables classes with an execute type mechanic (Lex Divina for Priests) to use it at the right time.

Any thoughts?

The idea is good, despite being old - I remember that lots of WoW raids were built on HP-percentage based phase transitions too, and I'd support it, given a chance, but seeing how some of RO2's UI elements were made in a really half-arsed way (lack of chat font customization, horrid Auction House filter functionality) I kinda doubt Gravity would bother with this in the near future. You can always expect more costumes, hats, and other cash shop stuff, though!

Edited by Reifnir, 24 April 2013 - 01:29 PM.

#3 Furin

Furin

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

You can always expect more costumes, hats, and other cash shop stuff, though!

Misplaced criticism. Modelers != programmers.

#4 Reifnir

Reifnir

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

*sigh*
I'm not saying having costumes is a bad thing in itself, but while stuff like Pandora Boxes, Pyramid minigame, VIP cards, Costume Fusion and the like are added to the game on a regular basis, not a single UI improvement was made since game's release, despite numerous complaints.
Besides, programming a percentage display is something a schoolkid could do, given access to source code.

Edited by Reifnir, 24 April 2013 - 01:45 PM.

#5 Sacriel

Sacriel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Classic

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

I'm pretty sure he was just saying that you can always expect more content from Gravity that directly generates revenue as opposed to content that actually improves mechanics and gameplay.

#6 ExeltusPendragon

ExeltusPendragon

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

The idea is good, despite being old - I remember that lots of WoW raids were built on HP-percentage based phase transitions too, and I'd support it, given a chance, but seeing how some of RO2's UI elements were made in a really half-arsed way (lack of chat font customization, horrid Auction House filter functionality) I kinda doubt Gravity would bother with this in the near future. You can always expect more costumes, hats, and other cash shop stuff, though!

WoW really spoiled me as far as UI customization went. If there wasn't an option for it there more than likely was an add-on that did it. I'd kill for a decent set of debuff/buff size and timer options. I don't even want to say what I'd do if I could get some half decent DoT timer bars.

At least we can soooorta work around figuring out when a boss hits execute range by just doing the hard math.

Edited by ExeltusPendragon, 24 April 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#7 Furin

Furin

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

I'm pretty sure he was just saying that you can always expect more content from Gravity that directly generates revenue as opposed to content that actually improves mechanics and gameplay.

And I was saying that he's blaming the creation of cash shop items for the lack of content/customization when the two have nothing to do with each other. Criticism is fine, but at least target it correctly.

Besides, we know that they're working on WoE and Monster Collection right now which doesn't (directly) create money.

Edited by Furin, 24 April 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#8 Fold

Fold

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • LocationPallet Town

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

It is something they really should consider. If they're gonna design bosses to use skills at certain health thresholds, it will be extremely useful

#9 Kiyoshiro

Kiyoshiro

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationYour Monitor O_o

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

I'd love to have this implemented. I may not use Lex Divina (if ever) but the fact that some bosses use certain skills at a certain amount of HP, that's where this feature would really help. 100% agree with this :)

#10 Reifnir

Reifnir

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

Besides, we know that they're working on WoE and Monster Collection right now which doesn't (directly) create money.

Introduction of new content, be it new dungeons, PvP modes and whatnot is essential to game's survival. No new content = playerbase decreases = bye-bye income, it's just a long-term investment instead of a short-term one.

Don't get me wrong, getting new dungeons and WoE is great - problem is, when it comes to considering the needs and wishes of the playerbase, Gravity failed badly.
It takes an incomparably small fraction of time and resources wasted used to bring let's say, Pandora Boxes into the game to extend font color selection to all channels instead of just four - yet, it hasn't been done.

creation of cash shop items for the lack of content/customization when the two have nothing to do with each other.

Perhaps.
But deciding to spend time on a new cash shop item or money-milking features like Pyramid or Costume Fusion System instead of polishing the game show exactly how much the devs "care" about what players need. Just sayin'...

#11 ShiveringShadows

ShiveringShadows

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

Besides, programming a percentage display is something a schoolkid could do, given access to source code.

It's hard for me or anyone to take your words seriously if you don't even know the difference between programmers and content creation staff. A mistake you keep making, over:

I kinda doubt Gravity would bother with this in the near future. You can always expect more costumes, hats, and other cash shop stuff, though!

and over:

It takes an incomparably small fraction of time and resources wasted used to bring let's say, Pandora Boxes into the game to extend font color selection to all channels instead of just four - yet, it hasn't been done.

and over again:

But deciding to spend time on a new cash shop item or money-milking features like Pyramid or Costume Fusion System instead of polishing the game show exactly how much the devs "care" about what players need. Just sayin'...

And now you're sounding like a broken record.

#12 Reifnir

Reifnir

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

It's hard for me or anyone to take your words seriously if you don't even know the difference between programmers and content creation staff. A mistake you keep making, over:

Pray tell, what is the difference between writing a piece of code for minigames, creating new interface elements for costume fusion, and fixing the functionality of existing pieces?
Oh, wait, there's none, duh.

#13 KainHyrial

KainHyrial

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

You could be like this group, and calculate your percentage of success.

But Leeroy didn't care.

Edited by KainHyrial, 24 April 2013 - 06:37 PM.

#14 Fold

Fold

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • LocationPallet Town

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

Well hopefully they see the point of this thread instead of the arguement. I would really love to see this suggestion hit live servers. It doesn't really seem that difficult to do

#15 synesthetic

synesthetic

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:51 AM

add a health percentage to the end of the current / max health setup on the health bars

I don't know. As much as I support the reasoning, I think it'd introduce a new problem.

Just looking at HP bars,

Posted Image

where would it fit in there?

Edited by synesthetic, 25 April 2013 - 01:51 AM.

#16 KarilynKare

KarilynKare

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:59 AM

I wish this wasn't true, but it unfortunately is. My first ever experience coding was adding a percentage display to an addon in Warcraft, and I was able to figure it out in 30 minutes, with zero coding knowledge. For someone with knowledge of coding, it can probably be done in under 60 seconds.

Of course, that's not acknowledging the fact that you need to create additional options to enable or disable this aspect of the interface, as when I did my coding, I was just doing it for personal use, so the ability to turn it off was irrelivant.

I don't know. As much as I support the reasoning, I think it'd introduce a new problem.

Just looking at HP bars,

Posted Image

Trundication. It's pretty easy to label that enemy's HP as 3560k HP. You could even do 3.6m HP. Though generally speaking I don't trundicate HP unless it has a 10s digit after trundication.

Edited by KarilynKare, 25 April 2013 - 02:02 AM.

#17 Ahjussi

Ahjussi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFany's Lips

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:05 AM

Should be toggled by pressing or holding a key.

#18 Reifnir

Reifnir

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:31 AM

Should be toggled by pressing or holding a key.

...Or toggled in Options, allowing to switch between HP numbers or HP percentage display.

#19 ExeltusPendragon

ExeltusPendragon

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:43 AM

Just looking at HP bars,

Posted Image

Truncation. Hell, I'd even settle for replacing the number completely, or having it alternate between the two or something.

#20 OneLastDance

OneLastDance

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:17 AM

If you're good at math you don't need percentage.

#21 ExeltusPendragon

ExeltusPendragon

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

You don't even need to be good at math. It's (boss health x 0.20) for execute range. You can swap out the 20 for whatever % you're looking for. Doesn't change that this is 2013 and health/mana % should be a standard feature.

#22 Fold

Fold

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • LocationPallet Town

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Unfortunately i'm not. Percentages pls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users