• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Bebop017

Bebop017

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:49 AM

yeh like it says up top...im a new player..n i cant decide where to put my stats that would benefit me when i turn into to a monk

all in all .. i need the advice on what stats to focus on inorder to have a good monk build..

i also need help on builds

SPECIFICALLY PVP build

Edited by Bebop017, 28 July 2010 - 11:07 AM.

#2 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Classic

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:55 AM

http://irowiki.org/wiki/Monk

#3 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:56 AM

Oh the monk build is a VERY hard build for a new player... be aware of that before you start down that path, it's probably the second hardest class for a new player (hardest being crusader).

Generally speaking the build for a useful monk (spirit/mvp/pvp/WoE builds) as acolyte is pure strength, so that when you change to monk you can kill stuff to level. Unfortunately, that means as an acolyte, you're leveling a char with no real combat skills, a poor weapon selection, and no defensive stats whatsoever, yet as a new player, you can't compensate for it by decking your char out in high end gear and spamming potions, or by skipping the leveling process with exp items/leeching. Oh, and you have to go job 50 or your monk will suck.

Suffice to say i recommend against a monk as someone's first character.

#4 Bebop017

Bebop017

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:15 AM

Oh the monk build is a VERY hard build for a new player... be aware of that before you start down that path, it's probably the second hardest class for a new player (hardest being crusader).

Generally speaking the build for a useful monk (spirit/mvp/pvp/WoE builds) as acolyte is pure strength, so that when you change to monk you can kill stuff to level. Unfortunately, that means as an acolyte, you're leveling a char with no real combat skills, a poor weapon selection, and no defensive stats whatsoever, yet as a new player, you can't compensate for it by decking your char out in high end gear and spamming potions, or by skipping the leveling process with exp items/leeching. Oh, and you have to go job 50 or your monk will suck.

Suffice to say i recommend against a monk as someone's first character.

alright thanks.. but besides strength wut else should i focus on..right now im starting out at 9 strength b4 i go any further what other stat should i invest in

cuz i was also planing to also go 9 dex and 9 vitality

#5 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:21 AM

9 Strength, 7 Luck, 2 Agility, 9 Dexterity is what I would do.

Focus on raising your strength, but make sure you have a bit of dex by the time you're a monk (like 30 or so). When you're a monk, your stats should be all strength and then like 30 dex. After you finish your strength, you'll want to get dexterity.

That's all there is to it in terms of stats really in my opinion. Some people like some intelligence, but you would normally save at the inn and us that. Some vitality might also be nice, but that is more for WoE, and you'll want to be a champ for that.

#6 Bebop017

Bebop017

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

[quote name='Sera' date='28 July 2010 - 01:21 PM' timestamp='1280348501' post='12345']
9 Strength, 7 Luck, 2 Agility, 9 Dexterity is what I would do.

Focus on raising your strength, but make sure you have a bit of dex by the time you're a monk (like 30 or so). When you're a monk, your stats should be all strength and then like 30 dex. After you finish your strength, you'll want to get dexterity.

That's all there is to it in terms of stats really in my opinion. Some people like some intelligence, but you would normally save at the inn and us that. Some vitality might also be nice, but that is more for WoE, and you'll want to be a champ for that.
[/quote

hmmmk..but also was wondering does this advice aslo correspond with a pvp build..n also wut about INTELLIGENCe

Edited by Bebop017, 28 July 2010 - 11:27 AM.

#7 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:31 AM

Well, a true PVP build which would be like, what, intelligence and dexterity? That would be completely impossible for you to level.

You don't need intelligence for SP purposes for leveling if you use the inn. I think if you're PVPing as a normal monk, the most important thing is getting your skills to go off, rather than the final damage that they do.

#8 Bebop017

Bebop017

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:38 AM

Well, a true PVP build which would be like, what, intelligence and dexterity? That would be completely impossible for you to level.

You don't need intelligence for SP purposes for leveling if you use the inn. I think if you're PVPing as a normal monk, the most important thing is getting your skills to go off, rather than the final damage that they do.

yeh..thx dodged a bullet and almost took a wrong path..but yeh im still at the start where u input your stats...(im actually playing while typing this post)..

so yeh im going from what u said and it seems something i would do if i was a pro but any way..
im going with wut u sed Strength 9, Luck 7, Agility 2 and DEX 9

o n it turns out that instead of getting 2 agility i was able to get 3 and keep the original stats i was going to invest in so now its..
Strength 9, Luck 7 , Agility 3 and DEX 9

SO 2 summarize wut i red..
correct me if i make a mistake..

4 PVP
focus on strength
lvl up to lvl 50 or my monk will suck
dont touch and never invest in intelligence

o and n another question i almost forgot how far should i bring up my stats and when should i stop investing in them

Edited by Bebop017, 28 July 2010 - 11:44 AM.

#9 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:49 AM

Job level 50, that is. Not Base level 50.

I didn't say "don't ever touch" intelligence on a spirit monk, I just wouldn't recommend it because I think there are better ways to regen SP and you're going to get more SP for asura from gear anyway.

Like I said, 20 to 30 some dex to start with so you can actually hit stuff, then you'll want to get enough strength to be able to kill Sleepers in one hit with Occult Impaction. The exact number of pure strength varies depending on your gear, but will be somewhere between like 8x and 9x.
Then after that much strength, raise your dex up to about the same level.

Edited by Sera, 28 July 2010 - 11:50 AM.

#10 Bebop017

Bebop017

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:53 AM

Job level 50, that is. Not Base level 50.

I didn't say "don't ever touch" intelligence on a spirit monk, I just wouldn't recommend it because I think there are better ways to regen SP and you're going to get more SP for asura from gear anyway.

Like I said, 20 to 30 some dex to start with so you can actually hit stuff, then you'll want to get enough strength to be able to kill Sleepers in one hit with Occult Impaction. The exact number of pure strength varies depending on your gear, but will be somewhere between like 8x and 9x.
Then after that much strength, raise your dex up to about the same level.

but if i was to invest in some INT how much would your go for...im guessing not to go pass 30 and im think about going up to 20 in the future

#11 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:00 PM

The intelligence you get would depend on your strength, assuming you went 99 dex.

#12 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:02 PM

The pure pvp/woe builds go lighter on the strength and heavier on the dex and vit, because the idea is to not die and get a gfist off before the player can hide/sw/etc. A gfist from any half-decent monk will 1-shot a player without all that much str (The str/int is more for leveling and MVP).

I would go with a str-heavy leveling build as monk - monk is hard enough to level already - and then as champ, once you have more experience with RO, and the resources to actually make the char work on leveling, go for the pvp/woe build. Hopefully someone who is more experienced with champ builds will step in here and say how they build a WoE champ. I know they're built with a lot less strength than they used to be, which of course makes them hard to level. Nobody PVP's on non-trans char, and you'll get stomped if you try. Focus on leveling.

To comment on your summary:

No, you'll suck until job level 50, which you'll get around level 65. Then you can change to monk, and start leveling more effectively. This 50 job levels will be agony.
Str to 90+ - you want 120 total str with bless.
One can argue both ways on int, but you certainly shouldn't put points in it in the near future.

We really need someone here who actually mains a monk/champ in this thread...
Neither sera nor I main as a champ. I have a 99 champ and a 95 champ, but neither of them are PVP or PVM/leveling builds (one is a pure tanking build, and the other is a pure mvp build, and both were leeched 100% of the way)

I am giving advice based on a PVM/Leveling monk, not a pvp monk, because pvping on a non-trans char will just be depressing.

Edited by DrAzzy, 28 July 2010 - 12:03 PM.

#13 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:06 PM

I do have an 80-something spirit monk that works fairly well except I messed up and put a few points in intelligence which I regret. I just never play it because it's quite possibly the most boring character to level and the gear doesn't share well.

#14 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

I do have an 80-something spirit monk that works fairly well except I messed up and put a few points in intelligence which I regret. I just never play it because it's quite possibly the most boring character to level and the gear doesn't share well.

Yes, but you don't pvp/woe on it. Though, again, OP should not expect to PVP until transcending. You don't PVP on non-trans.

Champ PVP/WoE builds are not what one expects from a distance - i remember being stunned last time ray told me his build. Practically fell out of my chair, and not just because I'd been drinking (however, that may have something to do with me not clearly remembering his build).

#15 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:57 PM

yeh like it says up top...im a new player..n i cant decide where to put my stats that would benefit me when i turn into to a monk

all in all .. i need the advice on what stats to focus on inorder to have a good monk build..

i also need help on builds

SPECIFICALLY PVP build

Ok now I have read through most of the comment here and I believe most of them are on track. However there are 2 main points I wish to emphasize;

1. If you want to have a PVP char it's going to take a while and shouldn't be until you have a CHAMPION. To put it a bit more simply making a Monk for PVP is NOT the best idea since a good PVP build is hard to lvl so it might be wiser to go with a PVM build until after you Transcend.

2. No matter what build a Monk goes for it would be extremely unwise not to get JLvl 50. This is because of the 20 mandatory points that are spent on Divine Protection & Demon Bane to get ANY Monk skills. That only leaves you with 29 points to spend. Also Blessing is a must to max as it gives a +10 Bonus to Strength, Dex, and Int. Now myself I also maxed the Warp tree to Pneuma and Increase Agility, had to spend 2 Monk points though to finish that.

I currently have a Lvl 70/35 Monk. I spread out his stats a bit to much but I am not that unhappy, except for that fact that I cannot solo 1 hit sleepers yet.

Oh yeah forgot to Mention that I leveled him completely solo all the way and that is why I am not unhappy.

Edited by EvilLoynis, 05 August 2010 - 05:59 PM.

#16 antikv

antikv

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1285 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:31 AM

i still cant distinguish the difference between a woe monk and a mvp monk

#17 brokenguy

brokenguy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:33 PM

i still cant distinguish the difference between a woe monk and a mvp monk

MVP monk = INT > DEX

WOE/pvp monk DEX > INT

#18 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:37 AM

Yeah, pretty much what Brokenguy said.

Their skills will be mostly similar as a normal monk. As a champ, the WoE build will almost certainly have snap, but an MVP build may not.

In general, MVP is concerned with dealing as much damage as possible. They need to be able to cast quickly as well, but the damage is what really matters. For a WoE monk, they are concerned with using their skills as quickly as possible. If it's not a LK, Pally, or GR user, the sheer damage of asura is usually enough to OHKO the character, so they need to be concerned with just using asura in the first place.

#19 Credence

Credence

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • LocationEngland, United Kingdom

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:55 AM

The pure pvp/woe builds go lighter on the strength and heavier on the dex and vit, because the idea is to not die and get a gfist off before the player can hide/sw/etc. A gfist from any half-decent monk will 1-shot a player without all that much str (The str/int is more for leveling and MVP).

I would go with a str-heavy leveling build as monk - monk is hard enough to level already - and then as champ, once you have more experience with RO, and the resources to actually make the char work on leveling, go for the pvp/woe build. Hopefully someone who is more experienced with champ builds will step in here and say how they build a WoE champ. I know they're built with a lot less strength than they used to be, which of course makes them hard to level. Nobody PVP's on non-trans char, and you'll get stomped if you try. Focus on leveling.

To comment on your summary:

No, you'll suck until job level 50, which you'll get around level 65. Then you can change to monk, and start leveling more effectively. This 50 job levels will be agony.
Str to 90+ - you want 120 total str with bless.
One can argue both ways on int, but you certainly shouldn't put points in it in the near future.

We really need someone here who actually mains a monk/champ in this thread...
Neither sera nor I main as a champ. I have a 99 champ and a 95 champ, but neither of them are PVP or PVM/leveling builds (one is a pure tanking build, and the other is a pure mvp build, and both were leeched 100% of the way)

I am giving advice based on a PVM/Leveling monk, not a pvp monk, because pvping on a non-trans char will just be depressing.

Azzy, can you hook me up with MvP build from scratch, if possible, from skill to stat if you can, thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users