Skill and attack effects/animations - Feedback & Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Skill and attack effects/animations

No replies to this topic

#1 Akin

Akin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

Just a couple things I've noticed while playing Beta that sill exist, plus some suggestions.

Bug:
1. Sometimes, skill effects (such as the aura around the player when they charge or spin) don't show up. It only happens maybe 5% of the time, but when you're spamming the same skill over and over, those things tend to stand out. I've noticed this on aco, monk, mage, archer, and swordsman, I'll assume it happens on all classes.

Possible bug:
1. I've noticed that many of the skills don't have voice over, and the ones that do don't seem to play it all the time. If it is a bug, then it just needs to be fixed, if it's not, I'd suggest making it play all the time and giving the player the option of turning off that audio if they desire. Surprisingly, I miss having the skill names above an avatar's head in RO1 as it lets you know what's coming, audio could do the same if it was consistent.

Suggestions:
1. I'm on the fence as to whether or not the acolyte should use his/her mace when casting magic skills, but the mage definitely should be using his/her staff. It's really weird that they never take it off their back when casting spells. Seems like that could be a very simple art update to move the staff from their back to their hand while casting. If a new animation is required, that's not a lot of work either.

2. I know this is a 3D game and is supposed to be different from RO1, but it would be nice if some of the skill effects and animations looked more like RO1's to provide some continuity. The ones that come to mind, which are mostly just the ones I've seen, are firebolt (which now is just a smaller version of fire ball, cold bolt on the other hand seems to have kept some of it's look, though there is only one bolt), holy light (looks too yellow and arcane instead of being a holy light), bash (which now looks like a spinning back hand), frost diver (no longer travels to the target, and only adds a very small ice block around their feet), ankle snare (disappears when the monster gets trapped in it instead of disappearing when it is no longer active), and most of the monk skills (SSS, TSS, and GF are complete departures from what made them visually appealing in RO1). In fact, a lot of the things a monk does should be able to be done better in full 3D, but they just look far worse in my opinion.

3. This doesn't really have to do with the effect or animations but I find stats to be an issue worth mentioning. Vit and Wis seem to be rather worthless, and depending on the class, Str or Int are even listed in the stat window as "not worthwhile for this class". That seems to be a rather large game design flaw if you have to tell players not to put points in a particular stat because it will have no effect. I know RO1 a similar issue, but RO2 seems to have gone in the wrong direction from there.

3. Finally, I gotta say that I just hate that I have to mash a few skills over and over to level, even on AGI characters. Being able to auto-attack in the early days of RO1 before renewal when it became obsolete, was still a fun game play mechanic. You can do that in RO2, but you'll never kill anything. At least not in what I've seen up to level 25. It would be really nice if that ability made a come back.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users