(Knight) Be very careful when investing your skill points - Swordman - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

(Knight) Be very careful when investing your skill points

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SolidJelly

SolidJelly

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:37 PM

Edit 11/05/13 - Added more info in red

There are a few skills that you should really be careful of when thinking about whether to max a skill or leaving it at level 1 (or 0)
The following advice are in NO WAY telling you NOT to get these skills. They are written with the intention of making you think VERY carefully before spending your skill points because it costs REAL MONEY to reset your skill points if you make a mistake. You do NOT get a free skill reset when you change classes at level 25, so you should plan your skills/stats before you even start playing the game, unless you're willing to spend money later on to reset them.

Here's a skill calculator to play around with: http://ro2base.com/b...1.1.1/0.0.0.0.0 (Btw the cooldown of Shield Fortress on this should be 120 seconds, not 12 seconds)

Head Crush - This skill causes a bleed effect over 20 seconds. Edit: The bleed effect is refreshed every time you use Aura Strike on the target, so you only have to cast it once at the beginning of the battle. The % damage increase from investing more points is very little, as you can see from the calculator.

Provoke - From level 1 to level 5, this skill decreases your cooldown from 20 seconds to 8 seconds. 8 seconds is still quite a long time. If you've got enough damage with a STR/AGI or AGI/INT build + lv 5 Aura Armor, it's usually enough to hold aggro without casting this.

Mass Provoke - From level 1 to level 3, this skill decreases your cooldown from 180 seconds to 60 seconds. 60 seconds is still a VERY long cooldown. Most people hold aggro spamming Grand Cross, which is doing damage almost EVERY SECOND + Aura Armor. Think about whether you need points for this.

Battle Tactics - At level 2, it's an extra 0.4% damage on your critical hits. Most Knights reach around 150-200 INT by end-game from cards/gear/titles alone. At 150 INT, this equals 60% EXTRA damage on your critical hits. A requirement of this though is that you need to have decent crit. 20% critical rate can be achieved by getting roughly 200 AGI + end-game buffs - refer to comment #11 here: http://forums.playpa...battle-tactics/ There are AGI/INT builds that abuse this, the most extreme form is swallowing Maestro potions increasing INT by 112 for 30 seconds.

Concentration - At level 5, increases attack by 20% but increases damage received by 10%. Many people are put off by the +10% damage received so they don't invest in it, but +20% attack increase is pretty much the strongest attack buff that Knights can get. Increased attack = increased aggro generation. If you can hold yourself comfortably in your tanking, you can certainly consider this skill.

Aura Mastery - At level 3, 15% chance to not consume Aura when skills that normally consume Aura are used. That means 2 Aura Blades in a row or Concentration followed by Aura Strike straight after. Some say 15% chance is low, you be the judge.

Aura Heal - There's plenty of guides on this forum already that talk about the dismal amount that this skill heals you for, so I won't bother going into this.

Shield Charge - Increasing levels will only decrease cooldown. At level 5, it reduces cooldown to 20 seconds. For PVP it's still quite a long cooldown. Keep in mind it doesn't do damage. The usefulness is up to you to decide.

Shield Boomerang - From level 1 to level 5, increases damage from 18-27% with a 15 sec cooldown. This skill's used for its slow effect rather than its damage. The usefulness is up to you to decide but if you do want to use this extensively, pair it up with max Shield Boomerang Mastery for obvious reasons.

Shield Boomerang Mastery - As above.

Shield Bash - Similar to Shield Charge with a long 30 second cooldown and a little bit of damage and 2 Aura generated. Edit: Over a long period of time, throwing this skill whenever cooldown is up will increase DPS slightly, you're generating 2 Aura instead of 1 so you can cast 1 less Bash. The cooldown is the main drawback. The usefulness is up to you to decide.

Shield Cannon - Strongest Knight attack, but 30 second cooldown. The problem with this skill is the long animation, the damage without critical is about the same as an Aura Strike with critical. However, if this skill crits, it'll be much better than Aura Strike. The usefulness is up to you to decide.

Aura Shield and Shield Fortress - both have long cooldowns, but they're about the only active skills that can boost defense. If you plan on tanking, Shield Fortress is a must-take (yes I'm making an exception here)

Edit: Final Protip - Using a HP potioin to heal yourself will increase your aggro! If you find yourself in a crucial situation where you look like you might be losing aggro, use this to your advantage!

Edited by SolidJelly, 11 May 2013 - 10:33 PM.

#2 Chocs

Chocs

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:46 PM

Hmm... people have been mentioning an INT stat build but... from experience swordsmen can't allocate points into INT (It's greyed out and says something like "This parameter is inapplicable for your class"). Did that change?

And I'd like to point out a minor typo on your last paragraph :>

#3 SolidJelly

SolidJelly

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:40 AM

Hmm... people have been mentioning an INT stat build but... from experience swordsmen can't allocate points into INT (It's greyed out and says something like "This parameter is inapplicable for your class"). Did that change?

And I'd like to point out a minor typo on your last paragraph :>

Oops, nice pickup there. Should've been Shield Fortress instead of Shield Cannon. Fixed

#4 Wandrin

Wandrin

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

You should only be using head crush once per fight, aura strike refreshes the duration of the dot. The long animation of shield cannon and the cool down results in a dps loss in fights over 10 seconds when compared to max head crush.

#5 Tamashiimizu

Tamashiimizu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

What? Really? Swordman can't allocate points into INT stat? And what about Knight/Warriors?

#6 Chocs

Chocs

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

What? Really? Swordman can't allocate points into INT stat? And what about Knight/Warriors?

I think it's the way it is for every physical class. Similarly, every magic class can't allocate STR. The exception are Monks.

This is from my experience in kRO though. I haven't tried it myself here.

#7 SonicTMP

SonicTMP

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • LocationAlone in the dishwasher

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

Uhh what? I've been puttng points into int just fine. Not sure abuot as a swordie but as knight i can do it.
The reason the stat says it doesn't work for sword/knight/war is because we have no default use for int. Only with battle manual does it become useful and there's no in-game calculation for your crit damage boost.

#8 Tamashiimizu

Tamashiimizu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

Oh i see. Probably this allocation restriction is only in the korean version.

#9 Chocs

Chocs

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

Haha alright. In kRO2 the area was greyed out and you can't click it. I did stop playing that server since seaRO came out... the place is a ghost town now.

#10 LahanAveh

LahanAveh

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

Head Crush: At Level 5 is does the same damage as your whites. Its like getting 2 white hits every 2secs but it can't crit. Continuously generates aggro.

Provoke: Its not used to hold aggro. If you lose aggro as a Knight with Aura Armor you should quit.

Mass Provoke: AoE Burst Aggro. Grand Cross Animation is slow and your stuck at the casting spot for 1 second.

Grand Cross: Only AoE for knights. Good for aggro adds. Lame damage, slow animation.

Battle Tactics: One of the best buffs in game

Concentration: Worthless

Aura Mastery: Bretty Guud :333 Nice burst damage. Only need level 1

Aura Heal: Worthless

Shield Charge: While 20s is still a long time is a farcry from 60. Only mobility for Knights in PvP.

Shield Boomerang: Nice slow for pvp, good use as a pull for PvE. Only need level 1.

Shield Boomerang Mastery: Worthless

Shield Bash: Another stun for PvP and good for burst damage and knocking down some big adds in PvE. Only need level 1.

Shield Aura + Shield Fortress: Need to max both if you wanna tank. They are situtional actives and the only 2 skills knight has to not get 1HKO or zerged to death by adds.

#11 Deanleroy

Deanleroy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationThe Rigs
  • Server:Chaos/Odin

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:21 PM

Even as a warrior player there is some very useful information in this thread. Thanks guys

#12 K1D4

K1D4

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for the tip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users