This is my first guide in the game, i have done theorycrafting for other games before (WoW, LoL, BFG/ROI etc) and quite a few guides. I am preparing a tanking guide, but in the meantime i wanted to maximize my farming/DPS so i prepared this and decided to share it.
- Beast points - Mechanic Explanation.
- Beast Master DPS - Detailed info and thoughts.
- DPS rotations - DPS comparison, Additional thought and info.
- DPS stats - Thoughts on vigor, haste, hit, agi, str, frenzy.
- TL:DR - Which rotation maximizes DPS.
Beast Points is a unique Beast Master mechanic.
- The amount of beast points that we have appears as a yellow bar next to our hero and can be anything between 0 and 100.
- Some of our abilities can generate beast points or use them.
- Abilities that generate beast points are: Rage Smash - 8 to 12, Wild Crush - 16 to 24 and Beast Charge - 8 to 12. You can notice the amount you take is random. For my calculations i will use the average amount we take from each ability.
- Abilities that use our beast points are: Cruel Bite - 30, Brutal Strike - 50 and Fury Strike - 0 to 50. For this last skill i will take 2 options in mind, using it as a filler in your DPS rotations with 0 beast points, or using it with 50 points to use your additional beast points when Brutal Strike is on cooldown.
- Frenzy is a skill that doubles the amount of beast points our skills generate for a set amount of time. Usually i will calculate this as generating 100 more points in its duration (you can use around 12 skills in that time, so i assume that with 3 you use points and with the other 9 you generate them, this will allow you to not pass the 100 points mark at any time).
- Caution: If we remain out of combat for a set amount of time our beast points reset to 0.
2 - Beast Master DPS
First of all. I assume you get every DPS ability at maximum rank, something quite possible with a DPS oriented spec but not exactly possible with a tank oriented spec. As this is not exactly a guide on how to spec but mostly a comparison that helps you make your own decisions i will let you decide what you take for your build, at least until i bother making a tanking or DPS guide.
Things you should take into account:
- Our auto attacks have a 2.6 second delay in normal form and only 1.6 second at our bear and grizzly forms, so you should always DPS in bear or grizzly forms!
- Using BEAR FORM(5) will increase your DPS by 30% but won't change anything else. If a skill A is 20% better than skill B it will be that much better in bear or grizzly form. The same applies to any DPS rotation.
- Even instant spells without cooldowns take 1.5 second to be used because of the animations our abilities have. Fury Strike animation seems to be 2.5 seconds and Brutal Strike animation 3 seconds. If i find any specific info about this i will have to update the guide, this is from personal testing only
- Our auto attacks DO NOT affect our rotations at all, they just happen automatically and you should not worry about them messing with your rotation.
- Our auto attacks do between 10 and 12% of our attack power. If you see lower numbers it is because enemies mitigate some of that damage with their defense.
As previously stated Fury Strike is counted twice, for 0 and 50 beast points usage.
Wild Crush has 15% initial damage and 10 ticks of 14% damage every 2 seconds, i will calculate it both for using it on cooldown and every 20 seconds to keep the dot up.
We will be needing cooldowns to see how many times we can use our attacks in a given time
and beast points to make sure our rotations don't use more resources than we generate.
Frenzy will be used in some rotations to check if it increases our DPS or not, and by how much!
For detailed information about each ability you can check the following:
- http://www.ro2base.c...tor/beastmaster >> Talent Calculator, seems to be the only one that has the numbers right.
- http://forums.warppo...stmaster-guide/ >> A nice Beast Master guide, you can find more information about our abilities (with images etc) there and also reading the whole post is certainly not a bad idea. Credit to Belegnir for posting it.
- http://forums.warppo...ter-tank-guide/ >> Another beastmaster guide, mainly focus on tanking with some personal insight/opinions about our abilities. Worth a read. Credit to Sera for posting it.
First of all for a single target rotation:
- You should never use Beast Tornado. (Got an example to prove that it actually reduces your DPS).
- Cruel Bite should only be used for regaining health as it is always a DPS loss in every scenario, you can use your beast points much better with Fury Strike or Brutal Strike.
- Beast Charge should only be used for utility. It is not available in melee range, provides no damage and a minimal amount of Beast Points. Use it to get to your target, and never again.
Back to single target rotations, i will calculate 11 different rotations, try to keep up with the acronyms, you can check them all at the previous table:
- Beast Tornado (BT) + Rage Smash (RS) Spam just to show that BT is quite bad for DPS, add it to any rotation and it reduces DPS because it doesnt generate any beast points.
- Fury Strike (FS) Spam.
- RS Spam and Brutal Strike (BS) on cooldown.
- RS Spam and Fury Strike with 50 points (FS50) whenever possible.
- Combination of the above. BS on cooldown, RS Spam, FS50 when possible.
- Wild Crush (WC) every 20 seconds at the first graph, and every 10 at the second, BS on cooldown, RS spam.
- WC, FS spam, counting the extra beast points at random FS50, actually its many FS20 but damage calculated is the same.
- WC, BS on cooldown, enough RS to get the desired beast points, FS fillers.
- Same as above with frenzy on cooldown.
- WC, BS on cooldown, RS spam, FS50 to use the extra beast points.
- Same as above with frenzy on cooldown.
If you can find a better rotation or an interesting different one tell me to add it.
- Damage = Damage done in the given time.
- DPS = Average damage per second.
- Time = 600 seconds, balanced the damage at 10 minute fights.
- Beast Points = Points remaining after your rotation is done. If its 0 it means you use all the points you get. I did try to calculate possibilities where you can't use the points the way you want (Like skill cooldowns etc). If you find some mistake tell me!
- Skill Name = Amount of times you used the skill in this 600 second period.
- Auto = Amount of auto hits done in the same period.
- First column is the rotation.
- Second column is the DPS based around the FS spam. For example the last rotation is 45.43% more damage than simply spamming FS.
- Third column compares the DPS between the normal rotations and those with Frenzy used, as you can see the difference is minimal, especially for 5 points at the skill, i wouldn't be surprised if taking 1 to 3 points resulted in actual DPS loss when you use the skill.
- We get 6.88 DPS from our auto hits.
- Wild Crush on cooldown is 8.5 DPS and also provides 2 Beast Power every second (so another 0.7 to 0.9 DPS depending where we use it).
- We get 4.5 DPS from Brutal Strikes on cooldown.
- Assuming 30 DPS, 28% is from Wild crush, 23% from auto hits and 15% from brutal strikes! The rest of our DPS depends on the combination of RS/FS/FS50 and Frenzy usage.
Judging from the above it becomes quite obvious that half our damage comes from our DOT and auto hits even in near- perfect scenarios for the rest of our DPS! This alone should give a very high priority on hitting those skills every time, losing a dot and not noticing could really ruin our DPS.
On the other hand since our dots can't critical it reduces our desire for critical. I haven't run the numbers yet but i suppose this should make us prioritize strength over agility and hit over vigor or haste.
Haste seems to affect our auto hit DPS. (Needs testing, for some classes it doesn't seem to work that way).
Vigor affects frenzy, BS, WC and our survival cooldowns.
Haste is probably better purely for DPS (only if it works as intended) and Vigor for hybrid/Tanking.
Thoughts on frenzy
If you can manage to use frenzy on its cooldown, just before wild crush and not have to move for its whole duration you may notice a slight DPS boost ~1% with 5 points in the skill. I believe this is almost pointless for a DPS for 5 points in the skill, so either just use it before you start a fight for a starting boost in DPS and then ignore it or spend your points elsewhere.
It seems like this ability needs a huge boost to be useful for DPS and its actually DPS loss if you use it in combat with less than 5 points in it. Its situational uses are also really low, i can only think of using it to generate more points to self heal faster with cruel bite, but you would only get 2 more bites every use, making feral defense much better for the same taking-lots-of-damage scenario (13secs not taking damage vs 20% self heal).
5 - TL:DR
The best rotation for single target DPS is the following:
- Charge to your target with beast charge. Don't use the skill again unless your target dies and/or have to change target and he is at nearly max range.
- Keep Wild Crush DoT up Use it as close to every cooldown as possible.
- Use Brutal Strike on every cooldown possible.
- Spam Rage Smash for additional beast points.
- If you have more than 50 beast points and Brutal strike is not coming up soon use Fury Strike. You should generally use slightly more fury strikes than brutal strikes in long battles.
The Highest DPS you can get:
31% of your attack power, not counting crit rate, haste, vigor and bear form and assuming you don't miss! Just from your rotation!
(If i get the chance i will calculate the effect of crit at our DPS, haste and vigor might be harder).
If you die with one skill/hit from bosses get vitality. If not:
- STR > AGI
- Hit until maxed > Haste (Needs testing about affecting auto attacks, animation or nothing) > Vigor for pure dps
- Hit until maxed > Vigor > Haste for utility/hybrid .
No idea but it seems low. If i do this for more classes i 'll tell you.
- Frenzy is really bad. Needs a generous buff.
- We could really use a small utility boost. Maybe each of our forms giving a buff in raid (Bear: Atk Power, Grizzly: Damage reduction, Tiger: Move speed) or cruel bite returning overheal to nearby wounded members. Right now our DPS seems low and our tanking decent but with lack of a raid buff to make us desirable in raids.
- Pie > Cookies.
Edited by Ethismos, 10 June 2013 - 10:25 AM.