• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 RyeAkai

RyeAkai

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:30 AM

I just needed some convincing of why should I really max Land of Recovery.

I understand that before it was a must, but right now, as someone who has almost no experience with the Sorcerer, I read the skill and find out that it only gives a mere 1% per level.

I understand how important is this skill on parties and definitely on raids, as while I do not have experience playing with sorcerers, I do have a little bit playing with my Assassin on raids and stuff. I get the importance of the skill, but I don't know if those extra 4% really make a difference.

I am planning to make an hybrid Sorcerer, and that's why I'd like to know some opinions about this matter. Is it really a must?

Just by reading skills, I can understand maxing Deluge (which I'm planning to do) or Earth Shield (if you don't want to depend on "the other sorcerer will probably have it"), but I really can't seem to convince myself that maxing LoR is worth it, but on the other hand, another part of me thinks I maybe should because of how much you use the skill on raids.

#2 Finraziel

Finraziel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 211 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:00 AM

I havent played all that much with my sorcerer, so can't speak from experience, but I would like to point out that that 1% is actually 14% of what you start with (7%) and a maxed LoR heals 57% more than a lvl 1 LoR (11/7=1.57).

As for earth shield, again, I didn't test this in practice, but I think it's overrated. It does not add a flat 20% defense, what it does is it increases the defense you already have by 20%, and only the defense you have without taking any other skills in consideration. That means that it will do diddlysquat for support/dps since their defense will typically be pretty low. It also means it does zilch for monks because their natural defense is low (it's just that they have a skill that triples it). To a lesser extent this is also true for beastmasters and warriors (though to an even lesser extent)
That leaves knights, but even if you know you will always have a knight tank, you could wonder if it's really worth it. I'm not sure what a realistic amount of defense is a lvl 50 knight might have from their equip, but let's say it's 40%, then earth shield will raise it to 48%. That's nice, definitely, but a must have? I think the knight would rather have a maxed LoR under his feet.
My lvl 35 beastmaster has about 13% defense unbuffed, earth shield would give me 2.6% extra defense... yeah, I don't think I'd even notice that.

#3 Melisax3

Melisax3

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:43 AM

I havent played all that much with my sorcerer, so can't speak from experience, but I would like to point out that that 1% is actually 14% of what you start with (7%) and a maxed LoR heals 57% more than a lvl 1 LoR (11/7=1.57).

As for earth shield, again, I didn't test this in practice, but I think it's overrated. It does not add a flat 20% defense, what it does is it increases the defense you already have by 20%, and only the defense you have without taking any other skills in consideration. That means that it will do diddlysquat for support/dps since their defense will typically be pretty low. It also means it does zilch for monks because their natural defense is low (it's just that they have a skill that triples it). To a lesser extent this is also true for beastmasters and warriors (though to an even lesser extent)
That leaves knights, but even if you know you will always have a knight tank, you could wonder if it's really worth it. I'm not sure what a realistic amount of defense is a lvl 50 knight might have from their equip, but let's say it's 40%, then earth shield will raise it to 48%. That's nice, definitely, but a must have? I think the knight would rather have a maxed LoR under his feet.
My lvl 35 beastmaster has about 13% defense unbuffed, earth shield would give me 2.6% extra defense... yeah, I don't think I'd even notice that.

But if you are in a OBB run and your party mates see you using a 4% Def Shield ull get spamed with "omg noob sorc 4% Def Shield!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

#4 Finraziel

Finraziel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:16 AM

Yeah, it sucks when you're forced to take subpar skills because too many people are uninformed idiots...

#5 RyeAkai

RyeAkai

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:11 AM

Thanks for the anwser. You do make a good point comparing 1% to 7%.

I find even more interesting what you're saying about Earth Shield.

#6 Vaelastrasz

Vaelastrasz

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:32 AM

Well idc if people cry cause of 20% ES. The fact is that you have far more important skills to get instead of ES, deluge, LoR etc...
And well yeah, the only classes who really have an advantage are tanking classes, since (as stated by above) ES just adds the percentage to the normal defense

#7 CheshyreNeko

CheshyreNeko

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Server:Odin

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

It's for higher lvl dungeon like CoA and AoD where raid members will rely on your LoR, you'll see the importance of lvl 1 and lvl 5 by that time. Having said that, I recall a thread I read when I was still playing in SEA, quoted:

To be more precise, it should be 2% no? Due to having Earth Arms activated when using it, if your using it with Wind Emblem that would be different aha. Though honestly, if a Sorc's LOR was at lvl 3-4, I seriously doubt any of your raid members would be able to tell the difference, so go for it if you like.

Let's do some simple math, assuming your Magic Attack is 3300 and you have Earth Arms activated.

Lvl 1 Land Of Recovery will heal 14% = 462 HP per tick.
Lvl 2 Land Of Recovery will heal 16% = 528 HP per tick.
Lvl 3 Land Of Recovery will heal 18% = 594 HP per tick.
Lvl 4 Land Of Recovery will heal 20% = 660 HP per tick.
Lvl 5 Land Of Recovery will heal 22% = 726 HP per tick.

Now the difference seems larger no? I would go for min lvl 3 LOR at the very least. Unless you really like being a DPS, and you are very sure that your raid team is able to survive even with a Lvl 1 LOR. They should anyway, in AoD, the AOE of the boss either one shots you or don't.

Credits: Anemos

#8 Finraziel

Finraziel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

Well not even all tank classes benefit from it much, really just the swordies (and even then not all that much I think).

#9 Faythe

Faythe

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

Yeah, it sucks when you're forced to take subpar skills because too many people are uninformed idiots...

Well idc if people cry cause of 20% ES. The fact is that you have far more important skills to get instead of ES, deluge, LoR etc...
And well yeah, the only classes who really have an advantage are tanking classes, since (as stated by above) ES just adds the percentage to the normal defense

I made a suggestion in Varunax's Skill re-balance thread in the Proposal/Suggestion forum to chance it to a flat % of defense so all classes can benefit equally from the buff, such as 2/4/6/8/10% flat defense increase. But I think he/she disregarded the suggestion. It is a bit underwhelming for non-knight tanks as well since it is additive to skills such Defender for warriors, it doesn't multiply the total defense rating after said buffs.

As for LoR, I do agree with Finraziel that it is better to look at the skill in relation to how much of an increase each point yields. In terms of normal raids it serves as a slow buffer to top the raid off from AoE damage and allow Priests to delegate less time on the raid itself and focus mainly on the tank. It is the class' rough equivalent to Renovatio, the Priest HoT. With 5/5 LoR and Earth Seal it matches Renovatio in spell scaling with the added effect that it can Crit, unlike Renovatio.

#10 Vaelastrasz

Vaelastrasz

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

Yeah the crit effect for LoR is really nice, too bad it doesnt trigger the HoT though, but that would be too op actually...

For my hybrid build, I am totally fine with LoR lvl 5 and as stated above in the quote, my LoR ticks almost such an amount in Earth Arms (about 3100 magic attack buffed),
The other skill I probably would prefer otherwise would be Healing Wave for some intense quick healing on a tank or self heal, but its also cool when you heal solo through RHD, where LoR shines.

@Faythe: It is a good suggestion to give flat 10% def increase, but this would be way too strong compared to all the other buffs, maybe a 5% flat increase, but this wouldnt be worth putting the points in, well its just a worthless skill in my opinion. If people really need those 1-4% more dmg reduce with ES 5, well sorry, its just retarded. I prefer max crit buff too, but lots of sins/rogues just leave it at 1, and nobody cries there a river ^^

#11 Faythe

Faythe

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

I considered 1-5% scaling as well cause that would still be a benefit over what it currently brings to lower defense classes. However I thought that it may be a nerf to tanking classes which was something I wanted to avoid. Maybe I'll do some testing later to get some rough % increase in its current state.

HoT application through LoR critting would be overpowered. It is fine as it currently is although I would like the option to ground target it rather than player centric for better placement.

#12 Lawful

Lawful

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:32 AM

Shield isnt important, it adds 20% to the base defense, with items and stuff and it doesnt mupptiply additional buffs, so only class that really benefits most from it are knights, all other classes get dimishing returns from it and not very much at all, so its kinda useless and really overated.

#13 Zardini

Zardini

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

But if you are in a OBB run and your party mates see you using a 4% Def Shield ull get spamed with "omg noob sorc 4% Def Shield!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

LOL i like this so muchhh <3

I totally agree. but seriously 5 man buff  is just useful until obb run, at raid moment I doubt that... two priest two sorc.. 

but my sorc has up earth shield to lv 5 though dun know whether to reset it but i dont have the money..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users