#1 prismflower

prismflower

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:34 AM

So, just starting out the game. What job would I pass the best with if I advanced to a Priest? Currently, I'm thinking of an Alchemist, but a certain pinned topic says it's the hardest way to go :p_swt:

#2 Jargous

Jargous

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:46 AM

If you're going full support, you can go Smith, Alchemist, or Artisan. Each to their own challenges.

Smith - You can only benefit with weapons and rune punchers for yourself. Other than that making zeny can only work if you are the main crafter and are first to the recipe.
Alchemist - Potions. You can't go wrong, but it is also expensive especially if you are crafting for others.
Artisan - You will have to stop supporting in between and keep collecting off of monsters. It is also tough as you can't skin every mob. The benefit is that you can basically craft all of your armors.

#3 prismflower

prismflower

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

If you're going full support, you can go Smith, Alchemist, or Artisan. Each to their own challenges.

Smith - You can only benefit with weapons and rune punchers for yourself. Other than that making zeny can only work if you are the main crafter and are first to the recipe.
Alchemist - Potions. You can't go wrong, but it is also expensive especially if you are crafting for others.
Artisan - You will have to stop supporting in between and keep collecting off of monsters. It is also tough as you can't skin every mob. The benefit is that you can basically craft all of your armors.

Thanks! Since I am going full support, I think Alchemist would be the way to go (Blacksmith is too much work, Artisan is tough because of low damage output).

#4 EmlioR

EmlioR

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:20 AM

Ima a alche, make my own pots for raids/pvp/pve :P

#5 Finraziel

Finraziel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 211 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

I'd just stay away from chef and artisan as a priest... Either you're full support and you're not good at killing monsters which would be required for smith/artisan, or you're killing with your DoTs in which case you'll be attracting multiple monsters at once and you may not want to stop the fight fast enough to be able to harvest all the corpses (corpses without loot disappear pretty quickly). Also, in party play, you can't harvest if anyone in your party starts fighting. It's just a lot easier to farm herbs/rocks from time to time than to deal with it during your regular play as a priest.

#6 SoraStar

SoraStar

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

Well crap. I made my Acolyte a Cook. I guess that's just fail.

#7 SolidJelly

SolidJelly

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

If you're below lv 20, reroll. They give out the best foods in-game for free, like every few hours or so.

#8 SaraLeah

SaraLeah

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • Location3rd Rock from Sol

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

So, just starting out the game. What job would I pass the best with if I advanced to a Priest? Currently, I'm thinking of an Alchemist, but a certain pinned topic says it's the hardest way to go :p_swt:

i personally believe there is NO "best job" for any class in any game but rather what job you feel may be most fun/profit for you in your journeys. i know many disagree with me but it is what i think. best is to read up on what things each job can make, what items it takes to make them and decide which you like/think will benefit you most. good luck either way you decide

not fail in my way of thinking. my priest is currently at level 33 and level 39 chef.. I guess its all what your play style likes best. i personally like having the 60 min magic attack buffs from food i make myself.

If you're below lv 20, reroll. They give out the best foods in-game for free, like every few hours or so.

while this may be true those food items are level 40 and 50 if I remember correctly, my 1 attack all heals/buffs level 33 priest as expected kills veerrryyy slow, but with making my own magic attack food which is BETTER from ten to 33 makes me kill less slow.

as i already stated it is really personal preferance. you do not have to gather materials in dungeons/raids it takes 30 mins to an hr for me to get enough mats to make a job level or three simply farming the correct field mobs every 3 days or so which gives plenty of time for quests.

Edited by SaraLeah, 27 June 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#9 Finraziel

Finraziel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:07 PM

Agreed, it doesn't have enough impact to reroll your character really. My first priest is an artisan and it's not like it's that big of a deal. It's just if you're making the choice now, I would pick one that fits the combat style of a priest.

#10 SaraLeah

SaraLeah

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:34 PM

hmm.. ok combat style of priest... for me it is slooww,,,
But I have had no sp or hp issues so pots were not needed that kills alch.
And as chef I can make food that buffs me 60 minutes starting at +6 to phys and magic attack along with the 30 minute pots that mobs drop for agi or int which help me kill a little faster or heal a little better. I still fail to find a problem with the chef choice.
If it is a matter of making coins I do ok when I decide to set a shop up but I am not "greedy" and sell for what I would be willing to pay not trying to make a level ten pay 20z when a new player wont have anywhere near that amount.
I am starting a new acolyte to try the monk class atm just for a break from priest it will go the alch route since from all I have read on then monks lose the ability to self heal making potions much more important. ... again even if I were to chose blacksmith it really would not matter as long as I enjoyed it there is no "right" job for any class only what you enjoy or expect from them. the few guides on the jobs have enough information to help decide which you may enjoy better.
Or to look at it another way...
with alch and blksmith you get xp for that job only while gathering the mats..
with cook and artisan you get xp from killing the mobs[helps you level] and from looting them for mats[helps level your job]... that's not counting any trash or good drop they may have[gives you coins].
seems to me if either cook or blksmith can help your class it would be the "best" way to go to help you level both your char and your job, and if you share xp with a guild for it as well..
but that's just me
again either way you choose
good luck and best drops always

Edited by SaraLeah, 27 June 2013 - 12:05 AM.

#11 Finraziel

Finraziel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:46 AM

If you're not having SP issues as a combat oriented priest, you're not doing it right :P
I run out of SP all the time...

But as said, there's no wrong choice per se, it's just that if you don't have any strong opinions about it, I'd avoid the jobs that have you harvest corpses because I personally find it annoying. I guess if you're not running out of SP though, you may not be fighting in the same style and harvesting the corpses may not be such an issue. If you think combat style priest is slow than that further suggests you're not multi-dotting all the time. For me, priest is the single fastest class to kill regular overworld monsters in the game, as long as there are enough monsters clumped together for me to attract.

#12 SaraLeah

SaraLeah

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

LoL I edited my original response with bold underlining i have no sp problems because i have only 1 attck skill. i kill slow because that skill is level one. however i can see where a attack based priest would have sp problems similar to mages. I still think even then chef would have been better to me since it seems enough pots drop from mobs to keep it going, i will have to roll a mage and see. l think the hp/sp regen food as well as the magic attack food would be most helpful since buff food stays after death while buff potions do not that I have seen.
again it is really just a matter of preferance.
However - if there has to be a "best" job i would have to say chef or artisan since while gathering mats you gain xp for your char as well as your job and guild if you donate xp to one.
good luck best drops

#13 Finraziel

Finraziel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

Ahh, yes I see how I read what you said wrong. I thought you meant you found a combat style priest slow, but you mean it as you found the combat style of a (full support) priest slow... yes, that I can very well understand ;-)
Also, I figured I'd play my sorc for a bit during happy hour (havent played him much since becoming sorc) and I must admit that they may be faster still at killing, I'm just about instakilling stuff. I forgot how many (easy) kills I got as a priest in two minutes, I timed it at some point, but my sorc gets 15 and I'm pretty sure that's quite a bit higher than what I did before.
Also food is very good for SP. My sorc is a chef as well (I made one of each profession) and because the food you make yourself heals faster than the food you find, it's not annoying at all to quickly fill your SP in between fights. I'll just leave the pots for dungeonplay. Before I figured, you find so much food, why not just use that? But it's significantly slower and annoyed me. Also, it's easy to make so many food items that you can just quickly use one even though you're not even close to 0 SP, but you can afford to waste your food to a certain extent.

edit: Nope, retested my DPS priest, still wins :P 17 kills in 2 minutes, including looting them, vs 15 kills for the sorc. Go priests :P

Edited by Finraziel, 27 June 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#14 SaraLeah

SaraLeah

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

Ahh, yes I see how I read what you said wrong. I thought you meant you found a combat style priest slow, but you mean it as you found the combat style of a (full support) priest slow... yes, that I can very well understand ;-)
Also, I figured I'd play my sorc for a bit during happy hour (havent played him much since becoming sorc) and I must admit that they may be faster still at killing, I'm just about instakilling stuff. I forgot how many (easy) kills I got as a priest in two minutes, I timed it at some point, but my sorc gets 15 and I'm pretty sure that's quite a bit higher than what I did before.
Also food is very good for SP. My sorc is a chef as well (I made one of each profession) and because the food you make yourself heals faster than the food you find, it's not annoying at all to quickly fill your SP in between fights. I'll just leave the pots for dungeonplay. Before I figured, you find so much food, why not just use that? But it's significantly slower and annoyed me. Also, it's easy to make so many food items that you can just quickly use one even though you're not even close to 0 SP, but you can afford to waste your food to a certain extent.

edit: Nope, retested my DPS priest, still wins :P 17 kills in 2 minutes, including looting them, vs 15 kills for the sorc. Go priests :P

lol yes Priest is beast at all we do :D

#15 prismflower

prismflower

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:53 AM

Isn't SP food a bit redundant on priest with Aqua Benedicta?

#16 Finraziel

Finraziel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

Well, if you max your DoTs and constantly spam them, you do drain your SP faster than aqua benedicta can replenish it... At least at my level, it might be different at max level because as your max SP increases so does the effectiveness of aqua benedicta for SP, but your skills reach their highest cost as soon as you max them.

edit: Oh, and I just realised what I actually said that you reacted to... I don't have a chef priest, I have a chef sorc, they blow their SP like every damn minute it feels like :S My DPS priest just uses some SP potions, that's more than enough to supplement aqua benedicta.

Edited by Finraziel, 29 June 2013 - 09:09 AM.

#17 prismflower

prismflower

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

Well, if you max your DoTs and constantly spam them, you do drain your SP faster than aqua benedicta can replenish it... At least at my level, it might be different at max level because as your max SP increases so does the effectiveness of aqua benedicta for SP, but your skills reach their highest cost as soon as you max them.

edit: Oh, and I just realised what I actually said that you reacted to... I don't have a chef priest, I have a chef sorc, they blow their SP like every damn minute it feels like :S My DPS priest just uses some SP potions, that's more than enough to supplement aqua benedicta.

Oh, thanks. I'm going for a FS Priest, but I think that won't change the situation too much (at least Alchemist creates SP potions as well, right?).

#18 synesthetic

synesthetic

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 557 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

I wouldn't worry about SP as a Priest in the long run, regardless of build.
With my playstyle, I'm pretty sure I burn through SP faster than a DPS build--non-stop spam Reno (10 SP), throwing in other heals and skills as needed. Earlier levels, I had to use pots (the ones I got off of monsters were enough) and some regen food. By the time you're Lv.40-something though, your max SP from gear should be enough to have Aqua Benedicta sustain you for long periods of time on its own, if not indefinitely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users