Tower Defense / Zombie etc (Better grinding mechanics) - Proposals and Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Tower Defense / Zombie etc (Better grinding mechanics)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cheuk

Cheuk

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

Grinding is the "core" and culture of Ragnarok Online. To get rid of grinding is to change what Ragnarok Online is. 

TI was a good step towards making "the grind" more fun and engaging.

However, I believe there can be an additional level of gameplay to make it EVEN more fun. Grind in terms of RPG means doing the same thing over and over—most of the time being killing the same mobs over and over, which is fine— but it gets boring when the only objective is not immediate but LONG TERM in leveling up.

TI makes it more fun because it gives an immediate objective—kill 400 mobs to turn in. It is a quest system explored and tested in many other MMOs many years before. It works, but like all game mechanics, it gets old and eventually...boring.

Since immediate objective is what engages user most; my suggestion would be to implement something similar to tower defense or left 4 dead zombie like gameplay. The idea is simple and yet not far from what RO already is. Bunch of players running around killing a bunch of mobs. Why not just change it a little bit and have a bunch of mobs trying to kill a bunch of players or "tower"? The players will still have to kill the bunch of mobs, the grind, but now they have a new immediate purpose—protecting something. There can be a strategic side and extra layer of challenge/difficulty that can be enticing...

I don't know, just an idea. lol

#2 Hagriever

Hagriever

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

This seems like a legitimate proposal. Looks like something that I would do. Grinding is getting repetitive and boring. Hope more people see this.

#3 mikayel

mikayel

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

You mean something like "castle defense"? Where players are in a castle, not too dissimilar to WoE, and they defend it from hordes of enemies that are coming at them from multiple points? I like it. It could be done without major changes, too -- use existing maps in an instance and just have enemy AI set to be very aggressive and to move to certain points when not engaging players outright.

#4 ShiveringShadows

ShiveringShadows

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

Jibber jabber.

Simpsons Korean Ragnarok Online did it[1][2].

You'll just have to wait a bit until it gets here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users