Should I be playing RO1 or 2? - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Should I be playing RO1 or 2?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 8710130819005434027

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

Hi folks.

Felt like checking out iRO again and was surprised to see Ragnarok Online 2 was released - never heard of it previously to be honest

It looks pretty fun and I want to play, but I notice iRO 1 is still up as well. Just wondering which game is healthier at the moment, and which you would recommend to play? Does iRO 2 live up to the original? Or, is the original the one everyone is playing right now?

Thanks!

#2 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

http://forums.warppo...or-2/?p=1481857

#3 Alaska

Alaska

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 4817 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

RO2 doesn't really have anything in common with RO1 other than some monster names, so I would say go with RO1 if you want to stick (more or less) to the original. I don't play RO2 so I couldn't really tell you how healthy it is, but RO1 is pretty good as far as Renewal goes. Classic might be a different story though.

#4 SidleyBear

SidleyBear

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 643 posts
  • LocationCanada!

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

I say ro1, nothing like it honestly.. ro2 isn't that fun to me but that is just my opinion

#5 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10262 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

Well, both of them are free to play, so why not try both and see which one catches your attention!

#6 Handersen

Handersen

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3272 posts
  • Server:chaos

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

Ro 1 4eva

#7 teffalockheart

teffalockheart

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 513 posts
  • Server:Chaos in Classic

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

RO1, where you can find all kind of people and mass-kill them in a crazy woe...

#8 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

Just wondering which game is healthier at the moment, and which you would recommend to play?

Healthy in terms of what?

Population: Both have about a couple thousand players playing. In terms of RO servers, Renewal is much healthier than Classic.
Content: RO has 10 years of content whereas RO2 has a 1.5 years worth. RO takes a year or so to get a new update while RO2 gets a new update every month. You can breeze to max level in both pretty quickly. (Unless you're playing on RO Classic.)

Like Oda said, try both and see which one is more your style. Each game plays very differently.

Does iRO 2 live up to the original? Or, is the original the one everyone is playing right now?

RO2 lives up to the original in terms of job class options and world maps. Otherwise, not really. People are playing one or the other, but there are a portion of players that play both (like me).

#9 8710130819005434027

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

Thanks all for your comments!

Would it be fair to say that RO2 is the future of RO, and that RO1 is really only being kept around to appease older fans? Or, does RO1 have much of a future? I suppose that will be my determining factor. You guys made a good case for either

#10 duckmanneo

duckmanneo

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 580 posts
  • LocationIn a van down by the river.
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

I like ro1 renewal more than ro2.

I stopped leveling my 43 ranger because I got bored leveling.  This is coming from a person ctrl+clicking with an auto-casting shadow chaser.  I like playing a hunter on private Wow-wotlk servers, so I don't mind skill rotations in fights.  The game just seems like it was trying to copy elements from other games instead of being unique.

I doubt any of the two games will fail in the near future.

Edited by duckmanneo, 19 August 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#11 Havenn

Havenn

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6523 posts
  • LocationRagnarok Online

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

1, I don't think RO1 is 'kept around to appease older fans' it is one of the most unique fast-action RPGs with many new players showing up regularly

Edited by Havenn, 19 August 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#12 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10262 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

Thanks all for your comments!

Would it be fair to say that RO2 is the future of RO, and that RO1 is really only being kept around to appease older fans? Or, does RO1 have much of a future? I suppose that will be my determining factor. You guys made a good case for either

Ro1 still has a good amount of future updates (level cap raise, gunslinger second class, etc.), and it's different teams working on RO1 and 2. 

There are 10 years worth of content to explore and we are actively developing new content locally. 

#13 zr0rieu

zr0rieu

Universal Translator

• Members
  • 3475 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

many new players showing up regularly

??

#14 ShiveringShadows

ShiveringShadows

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

bRPtC5n.jpg

#15 Alaska

Alaska

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 4817 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

I don't think they would keep RO1 around unless it benefited them, so personally I believe it's still around for more than just "appeasing the fans".

As long as it's making them money it's here to stay.

#16 Hrishi

Hrishi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2365 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

Pretty sure RO1 is still where they make the majority of their money.

Edited by Hrishi, 19 August 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#17 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

Pretty sure RO1 is still where they make the majority of their money.

This is true as of their current SEC (security and exchange commission, a government monetary reporting agency) releases. We'll see how badly RO2 did when they do their annual review for 2013 in Q1 of 2014.

If you want a game that will last longer (assuming a perfect world without the declining dollar and the economy doesn't go into the dumps -cough-), it will probably be RO1. It's been tried and true all these years despite many releases of new games, and wont stumble much  according to the SEC reports they've issued.

#18 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

Until Gravity goes down the drain anyways. It's why they gambled on trying to make RO2 a success in the first place.

#19 stygionyx

stygionyx

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1463 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

RO1 have more Kawaii~ pixels than RO2.

#20 vnivni

vnivni

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

I say ro1, nothing like it honestly.. ro2 isn't that fun to me but that is just my opinion

Ro 1 4eva

RO1, where you can find all kind of people and mass-kill them in a crazy woe...

I like ro1 renewal more than ro2.

I stopped leveling my 43 ranger because I got bored leveling.  This is coming from a person ctrl+clicking with an auto-casting shadow chaser.  I like playing a hunter on private Wow-wotlk servers, so I don't mind skill rotations in fights.  The game just seems like it was trying to copy elements from other games instead of being unique.

I doubt any of the two games will fail in the near future.

Ro1 still has a good amount of future updates (level cap raise, gunslinger second class, etc.), and it's different teams working on RO1 and 2. 

There are 10 years worth of content to explore and we are actively developing new content locally. 

RO1 have more Kawaii~ pixels than RO2.

Lv 49 Hunter from RO2 SEA here, RO2 sucks, RO1 is still the best.

Edited by vnivni, 19 August 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#21 8710130819005434027

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

Hm, kind of sucks that the older game is better, and the game being more heavily developed is bad. Ah well, such is life

#22 Alaska

Alaska

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 4817 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

The reason (imo) some people consider RO1 "better" is because RO2 hardly deserves to be called its sequel, they're basically completely different games sharing nothing but some names. People who play RO1 play it for reasons that RO2 just doesn't fulfill. 

#23 8710130819005434027

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

The reason (imo) some people consider RO1 "better" is because RO2 hardly deserves to be called its sequel, they're basically completely different games sharing nothing but some names. People who play RO1 play it for reasons that RO2 just doesn't fulfill. 

How so? Is it just a lack of game content? Because I could understand that given RO2 is much newer. Or, is RO2 basically breaking the franchise and running in an entirely new direction?

#24 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

All it did was borrow names and lore from RO1. In reality, RO2 is just a completely different generic run of the mill modern 3D MMO like any other one out there. Calling it a sequel in spirit doesn't do it justice, even if it's just a sequel in terms of the lore. It's not unique in its own right in most departments with the exception of a few features.

#25 Eklavya

Eklavya

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

How so? Is it just a lack of game content? Because I could understand that given RO2 is much newer. Or, is RO2 basically breaking the franchise and running in an entirely new direction?

That is correct. RO2 is like most of the 3D MMORPG out there. I didnt continue to play RO2 because of its graphics (which looked like there are kids running around in the game).

I have played RO2 and most of the MMORPG out there (including the one that is on top now) and I would still say RO1 is better than RO2 atleast.

EDIT: I would suggest you to ask to RO2 community as well, just to know their views as well

Edited by Eklavya, 19 August 2013 - 05:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users