jerremy

Knight Representative

• Members
  • 6045 posts
  • LocationYour closet.
  • Playing:ROSE Online
  • Server:Currently unknown

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

So here's a decent build to how you can play your knight in both PvP and PvM. 

NOTE: Be sure to read the comments underneath this guide as well, as there have been some changes to the knight since the big skill update, and those were added separately.

Stat build of the knight:

screen461.jpg

Naturally, you don't have to copy this entirely, but something along these lines should work out. I'm going to specify a little bit more as well why I opted for these stats.

STR: As you can see, I only have 300str in this build, which some may find surprising. This is entirely my personal choice. I'm not very fond of building high amounts of a single thing, and it also starts to cost loads of points once you go past the 300 point. That's why I leave it at this. If you wish to emphasize some more on the tanky aspect of the knight (or you don't have a sopdu shield and need to wear aurum), it's recommended to invest more into this stat.

DEX: Dex is the second stat that adds to your ap, although less than str does. If you don't need more attack power in your build, then you can just leave this out of your stat build, as it has no other benefits. EDIT: Since patch 482, dex also adds extra off hand defence, so it increases defence and improves the amount of dmg you can block.

INT: I got a little bit of points into this stat because it adds me a bit of mana, and also adds to my magic resist. As a knight, your magic resistance is low. Incredibly low, in fact. It never hurts to try and get some more.

CON: Adds to your accuracy and to your critical rating (although only by a little bit).  I think 250 is good as it makes for a high base accuracy, making it less necessary to invest in accuracy by other means. 

SEN: Adds to your critical rating and improves by attack power by a little bit. You need a lot of this stat, to prevent people from doing critical hits on you. These can hurt. A lot. Especially if a skill lands a critical hit.

CHA: I got a little bit of this to improve my slow (if you leave it at 10, your slow will not have any noticeable effect at all) and my self buffs. If you do not think it necessary to improve these, then you have no need to get this stat. 

EDIT (as of 13 january 2014):

While the stat build above still works decently enough, it is not the greatest right now. First of, the amount of mp and magic defence you get from int is rather low, so I don't recommend actually putting much into it, or none at all. Secondly, dex does not add that much attack power, not to mention you don't need the extra physical block that much you get from the passive, as your base physical block is strong enough as it is. On to cha, as my current skill build (which I will get to later) no longer has any self buffs, and the slowing effect of slow shot is weaker than most other slowing effects in the game, there is not much of a need for cha. That's why we'll leave it out completely.

What I have left is: 320str, 150dex, 230con, rest on sen. Putting more into sen for the crit chance works as both offensive and defensive, to prevent crits on you and do more crits on enemies.

You might also want to put more in dex, up to 150 or even 200, leaving out some sen. This is entirely up to your personal choice.

Other possible options are: 

300str, 200dex, 200con, rest on sen.

300str, 150dex, 270con, rest on sen.

340str, 150dex, 230con, rest on sen.

You might have noticed that, aside from leaving out cha, these stat builds are similar to my champ stat builds. This is because knights and champs rather obviously share the same necessary stats.

Now on to the skills I use.

Skills:

I'm going to give you two skill options here, first my own one, and after that another possibility.

Starting with my own one I'm using right now:

Common tab:

screen614.jpg

We're not getting as many skills as my earlier build. The buffs get left out, cause while they are usually stronger than cleric buffs, you don't need the extra hp and def from the buffs that much. Not to mention you can't use it when the cleric has already buffed, cause of the no overlapping problem. This build also doesn't have taunt and sacrifice, cause as a crossbow knight you will usually keep your distance (there are those that fight close combat, but I will get to that later with the second skillbuild). I did get repose at lv2 cause I had a few skillpoints left, and at that lvl it already gives me about 20hp recovery per second. Definitely not a bad skill overall. Shouts are more for the champion, and as we don't have any cha in my stat build the STR buff is pretty worthless, not to mention too costy. The only ones we will be getting now are the defence and HP passive, which are both very important.

One handed tab:

screen615.jpg

This one's pretty similar to our last skill build, although we have the piercing passive now and didn't get shield stun and dispell. The reason why is, as I've already mentioned before, as we keep our distance usually, there is not much of a need for close combat skills such as the shield tree. That's why we don't really get those skills in the current build. In return, we get defence pierce, which is rather strong in both pvp and some pvm situations.

Knight tab:

screen616.jpg

Still very similar to my old build, but with the piercing passive this time around. We also increased protection's lvl to 5, so that the cooldown is shorter than before. Other than that no changes.

Although fire shot and magic shot were greatly lowered in damage, you will still want to use these for their fast casting time, relatively high damage thanks to being magic attacks and the taunt/burning effect.

Unique tab:

screen617.jpg

Second possible build: The difference here is both in build and style of playing. This build will focus more on sticking with the team and attempting to disrupt the enemy as much as possible. For this you will have to give up on the accuracy and piercing passive in the knight tab, and get taunt, sacrifice, shield jab and shield stun all to lv5. You will find yourself often at point blank, contrary to my build which attacks from a distance.

Equipment:

You'll only need two armor sets, which are chivalrous and reinforced/brave set (depends on what you yourself choose to wear, though I would recommend reinforced). 

Chivalrous is by far the greatest equipment to use as a knight, for it adds a lot of defence and attack power, and also adds critical, max hp and strength. If you PvP, you use this set, end of story. 

For PvM, you can opt for either a reinforced or a brave set. Although the brave set has more PvM defence, I myself think the reinforced set is better. It has higher hp stats, has hp regen, and there's the substats. Not that brave is a bad set, but reinforced is better in my opinion (and also cheaper). Currently, you may want to go for either brave or courage thanks to the pvm offense and defense bonuses.

As a shield, you will definitely be using a sopdu shield of tutankhamun. It is a lot better than the aurum shield in its defensive stat. If you can't afford this shield, just go for aurum shield. 

As backshield, any aurum backshield will do, although naturally it should have a good substat. 12/20 str/ap would be the best, cause strength gives a lot of hp thanks to your passives, quite possibly the 12str gives even more hp than the normal 200hp substat. Other possible stats are 20 str, 50/40 accu/crit, 15/50 ap/def, 25/50 or 25/25.

For a mask I recommend the style sunglasses. The 50charm does improve your slow effect by quite a bit, and it improves your self buffs. Secondly, it gives a small bonus to accuracy. The same substats as the ones I recommended before should be good. Other than style sunglasses, you can also use ashura mask for the str/con combination.

Accessories are a little bit trickier and vary from person to person. Seeing as you can no longer use buffsets, I do not recommend getting a lot of these sets, only two or three should be fine. One possible set is the oro PO7 set, if you want to have maximum tankiness. Cliff A7 is also quite plausible (I've used this set for certain reasons, and it did work quite well). If you wish to get some more damage, a lava or a hebarn set work just fine. Pretty much anything works, depending on how YOU want to build your character. (This is something I like about knights, cause they can work with a lot of different builds, and no one knight builds exactly the same) 

Something that has always bothered is that most people seem to use full sets, with three of the same gems. For buffsets this was good, as you had to stack as much of a single stat as possible, but I just don't see it as the best thing to do for actual combat. The set I want to use myself (although an oro PO7 or a cliff A7 set would work just fine, so you can use this too like I recommended) is this:

Hiria's tear D7: The 40str it gives adds quite a lot of hp, a bit of extra defence and improves your damage. The charm helps improving your slow shot and your buffs. 

Hebarn ring P7: Adds a good bit of damage and critical rating, and quite a bunch of attack speed. Peridots are very strong gems, one of the few gems that didn't get nerfed.

Hebarn earring Ta7: Adds a good bit of damage and a lot of critical rating, thanks to the tanzanite 7. Although it's also not a bad idea to get a 25/50 statted hebarn piece. Might even be better, but if you don't have a lot of cash, this can be quite costy.

As weapon, I'm going to recommend something that most people don't use, or haven't used in the past three years. That's right, I'm talking about a hardened weapon. The hardened six stick bowgun in fact. A lot of people may wonder why I am suggesting this certain weapon, as most people believe the epic is the best item there is. For some weapon classes, that is a true statement. However, this is not something I agree with when it comes to the crossbow. Actually, the only thing the epic crossbow is better at is its accuracy. Although the base damage of the epic is higher than the six stick, since it doesn't have an attack power substat, it loses in attack power. Also, a lot of people seem to be forgetting one thing.

screen468.jpg

Most people don't seem to know this, but the six stick bow gun is actually the fastest attacking ranged weapon in the game. Even with the attack speed stat epic has, it still loses against this crossbow when it comes to attack speed. 

Other than the six stick bow gun, the exalted bow gun may be a better option thanks to the higher PVM/PVP offense. Don't think the epic is better than the six stick though.

NOTE: exalted is currently better than hardened in terms of raw damage, but hardened still boasts the higher attack speed. Either one is fine.

Gameplay as a knight:

This is just something I wanted to add because I've seen a lot of horridly bad knights lately. I do not mean this as an insult, and I am not going to call names either, but I just feel like a lot of people have started to play knight, and they don't really seem to know how a knight works. The knight is a very difficult class to play, as in you can't just spam your buttons if you want to be good. This is especially true for PvP. That's why I'm going to give a few tips of how you should best play with this class. Firstly, here are my skill bars, to give you a bit of an idea.

screen469.jpg

First I'm going to adress taunt (magic) shot, taunt and sacrifice. Using sacrifice in PvM isn't very hard to do, but right now I'm talking about how to use these skills in a PvP situation. This might be hard to do, but watch out who you are taunting. Look for enemies who are attacking your clerics or mages for one. It is already hard enough for them as is to survive, so helping them out a little can do a lot. Secondly, try to use these as much as possible. It disrupts the enemy team a lot, and it's the only form of tough crowd control you have, aside from the shield stun ability, but that cooldown is far too long to be considered very effective crowd control. Also use your dispell to targets close to you. It's very hard for clerics to buff up in the middle of battle, so removing a persons buffs can be quite nasty.

Secondly, as you can see I only use three of my crossbow skills. One I already adressed above, but I'm now going to mention the other two. First is the fire shot. This is your main damaging ability, as it not only is good at dealing damage by itself, it also applies a strong burn for five seconds. It is key to always use this skill whenever the cooldown is gone. After that there's also your slow shot. Although not the strongest slow, this ability does slow your opponent, and can be quite useful. The damage isn't very high though, so only use it once to apply the slow (it lasts for 15 seconds, so it is not a necessity to keep using it all the time). The reason I only use these three is cause the damage output on the others is low. Also, focus shot (the first skill on the knight tab) has a decent amount of damage, but the casting time is too long to bother using it. (Note: Slow shot will no longer be used if you went with the no cha build, as the effect will be too little to make a difference.)

Switch between shield spikes and guard to keep your damage reduction buff up constantly. Then you will have protection left, which can be used on allies (preferrably mage/cleric, or anyone who seems to be targetted the most)

Now I'm going to talk a bit about picking your targets effectively. A lot of people just seem to go in and target the enemy they see/everyone is going for. You shouldn't do this. As a knight, you have to choose wisely which opponent you will be fighting. Especially as a crossbow knight, for you specialize in 1v1 combat, choosing a target is one of the most important things to do. It depends quite a lot of how you build, who you will be targetting in wars. I'll take my build for example, and choose a target that is weak against my build. My build is quite offensive for a knight, but still has the necessary defences of one. While we have both defence pierce passives, these aren't enough to do much damage on high defense targets such as clerics and other knights. We'll mostly be targetting low to mid defense enemies. You can still target clerics, but this is mostly for interrupting them, not for doing damage. Try to use your shield stun/taunt shot on the enemy clerics to prevent them from healing themselves and their allies. Also, although I do have the accuracy passives and a decent amount of concentration, I am not using my epic crossbow, so my accuracy isn't as high as most. It is possible to attack raiders and scouts, but most of the time we will not do this. Our main targets will be mages (when there's actually one there), bourgs and artis. We do a lot of damage on these classes, enough to kill them on our own. The reason we do this is because these classes are of the highest priority to take down, as their damage output and crowd control are very high, and they come with a low defence. Letting these do as they please is not good, and will most likely result in your loss. Try to interrupt them as much as you can, and if possible, kill them before they do too much damage to your team.

Well, that's about it. I really hope this guide will help some people with making their knight, as I put a lot of effort in this ^^

Edited by jerremy, 24 February 2014 - 12:51 PM.

#2 jerremy

jerremy

Knight Representative

• Members
  • 6045 posts
  • LocationYour closet.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

Hmm, now that I look at this post, I don't think a lot of people will read it through entirely. I mean.. just look at that huge amount of text. LOOK AT IT!

#3 DigitalKitten

DigitalKitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4996 posts
  • Server:Leonis, Draconis

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

I looove how you always kept going by a crossbow knight no matter what. Nice tutorial jer! :]

#4 jerremy

jerremy

Knight Representative

• Members
  • 6045 posts
  • LocationYour closet.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

Been playing crossbow knight for about two years (although if we count the times I didn't actively play, it's less than that, but still a lot), so I figured I should share some of my knowledge on this class.

I just love playing as this class for its potential, and it is a very interesting class to play. Guess I'll still be playing it for quite some time ^^

#5 DrunkinMonkey

DrunkinMonkey

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 630 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/Slothnessmonst1
  • LocationBrisbane / QLD / Australia (GMT+10)
  • Server:There can be only one :D

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:26 PM

all that text just means u went to a lot of work to explain everything in a way everyone would understand :)

in your experience how well do they stack up against a normal Knight these days or even a Xbow scout.

I tried one many yrs ago but they never had skills back then would be good to make another knight to try it out.

good read tho even explained the eq very thaught out

#6 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts
  • Twitter:@LovatianOwl
  • LocationCaves of Owlverick
  • Server:Le' Forumz

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:03 AM

Jerremy, what about the exalted xbow? The speed is +1 but the bonus is AP and ASpd if i recall correctly. Could it be a better fit? Since the pvm % offense is 4% and slower weapons gain more time reduction / % then faster ones do. Might take some testing. 

#7 jerremy

jerremy

Knight Representative

• Members
  • 6045 posts
  • LocationYour closet.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:47 AM

Hmm, I haven't tried the exalted xbow yet, for the sole reason I have not yet found one of these. It could be possible these are a better fit for PvM thanks to the 4% offense. However, hardened six stick also gives 2% PvM offense and 2% PvM defence, so it might not make that much of a difference. It all depends a bit on your own choice, I guess. For the maximum attack power getting the exalted one might actually be the best.

Drunkin, from my own experience, the xbow knight actually beats up the melee knight. Both classes hit about similar damage with their attacks, but the xbow knight also has the burning effect of fire shot that they can keep up at all times, giving them an upper hand in 1v1 combat. They also win against the xbow scout. Although the xbow scout also has guard and reflect, and a decent amount of defence, it doesn't have nearly as much to compare to the knight, and will take quite a lot more damage, and thus die before the knight will.

Something I'd like to add, if you're fighting 1v1 combat, the set I found to be best working is actually a cliff A7 set. By stacking a high amount of hp, you win most fights solely due to your capacity of taking a load of hits. This also works against other melee or crossbow knights. As you hit eachother about similar damage, due to your having more hp than your opponent, it is most likely that victory will be yours. (You don't have to trust me on this if you want to, but I've only lost one 1v1 fight since the skill update. And I fought quite a bunch of them)

#8 DrunkinMonkey

DrunkinMonkey

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:58 AM

very nice thank you might make another knight once things settle down n give it a go :D

#9 jerremy

jerremy

Knight Representative

• Members
  • 6045 posts
  • LocationYour closet.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:16 AM

Alright, good that my guide has been of some help, I put quite a lot of effort into that ^^

#10 DrunkinMonkey

DrunkinMonkey

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

it has been quite the help and it definatly shows that you put a lot of effort into it,

I have never written guides before but since I had the screens already for my own use figured I may aswell post up em :D atm I have one of each soldier type (except Xbow) at varying lvls so knowing that they are quite to use has me gearing up for another knight ;) lol (must admit I love lvling noobs)

#11 ShazamO

ShazamO

They pay me to post.

• Retired
  • 5764 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:22 AM

I like it :ok: 

Shoot me a Pm if you feel that it's complete for now.  

#12 Logi

Logi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1060 posts
  • Server:Leonis

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

Very nice guide ^^ I have a melee knight myself but many of the considerations you thought off are good things to remember, thanks, Im certainly using this as help!!

#13 InuyashaDraconis

InuyashaDraconis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:07 PM

Lol i really really do not agree with half the information you gave, TO each his/her own build of coarse and as the patch is still quite new builds will be tinkered with.

I do not go into my own personal builds, but i will say this the build you gave anyone who uses this will be eaten alive by hawkers/scouts. Your build/gear choice lacks accuracy BIG TIME.

The six stick bowgun while i understand where your coming from is not the best thing to have and or use IMO, While the speed is nice yes based on your guide its not the best choice. It lacks accuracy and attack power of a RE, speed won't do you much good if you can't hit your target and if you do hit it the lowered dmg can be out potted or hp recovered.

If your a xbow knight YOU NEED def peirce, my lvl 200 knight has taken down a few lvl 220-230's half because of this i mean its what 30% def pierce? between that and the def down scream you can literally take away half of a knights/ champs deffense in a fight. anda knight/champ with half deffense is FAR FAR less likely to win unless they use IM pots and buffs lol

btw my lvl 200 knight has only lost to battle clerics in fights so far and i have fought quite a few lvl 220-230's of all classes in 1 vs 1 matches. ( no i will not give my char name so do not ask

While my build myself is not finished i still do far better then "most" even people that are higher so i know what im talking about for the most part.

Also i agree with jermy somewhat on the cliff set the HP you gain is worth more then the defense you lose

Edited by InuyashaDraconis, 27 August 2013 - 06:15 PM.

#14 jerremy

jerremy

Knight Representative

• Members
  • 6045 posts
  • LocationYour closet.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

Read the last part of what I said. As I choose to target low defence classes like the mage, bourgeois and artisan, I have no need for the defence pierce or the high accuracy, which is why I opted for the items I have shown above. Also, I hardly ever do 1v1 combat, so I don't really care about fighting the other classes. For a war build, what I have is a good working build. 

Also, eaten alive by raiders/scouts? If you didn't know, shield reflect kills them easily.

Edited by jerremy, 27 August 2013 - 06:20 PM.

#15 Dirtyarry

Dirtyarry

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 672 posts
  • Locationlos christianos
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:siren

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:52 AM

Hmm, now that I look at this post, I don't think a lot of people will read it through entirely. I mean.. just look at that huge amount of text. LOOK AT IT!

Firstly nice work and yes all that text would have taken some time.

This build is a great starting point for anyone trying a xbow knight from the resent skill balance 

you stated through out this is your choice and gave your thinking behind it, this is among the best of the the user friendly builds

gz to you jerremy 

#16 jerremy

jerremy

Knight Representative

• Members
  • 6045 posts
  • LocationYour closet.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

Just going to add this for a bit. Since patch 482, DEX now improves your off hand defense (and thus also your physical block amount). Now, I'm not going to suggest an entirely different stat build, but it may be a good idea to invest some more into this stat. Depends a bit on what you yourself want to do with your build.

#17 DigitalKitten

DigitalKitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4996 posts
  • Server:Leonis, Draconis

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:07 AM

Making a crossbow knight following this guide 100% ! :]
^__^ When I'm done you can feel free to use it if you want to play on Leonis for a change jero =)

#18 jerremy

jerremy

Knight Representative

• Members
  • 6045 posts
  • LocationYour closet.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:26 AM

I've been trying to get a character made on leonis, but lvling is so damn annoying, and I die every time I look at the market prices, so I just give up on it lol.

Going to add this too for a bit: Right now, I don't have taunt or sacrifice in my build, like I recommended before. Instead, I have the first defense piercing passive. Although taunt and sacrifice can be useful, they are quite difficult to use and time right. If you wish to use these skills, go ahead, but just saying that it's also possible not to get these skills.

Edited by jerremy, 11 September 2013 - 05:38 AM.

#19 jerremy

jerremy

Knight Representative

• Members
  • 6045 posts
  • LocationYour closet.

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

Going to bump again, and also add something.

Patch notes v484: Exalted and unique weapons now have 10% PVP and PVM offense, whereas the crafted weapons (like the six stick I proposed) only have 5% PVP and PVM offense.

This may still be subject to change, so I'll keep close tabs on it, but in terms of pure attack power, it is better to use the exalted crossbow. Once I get my hands on a +15 exalted crossbow I'll test both out and take a look at which seems to work better.

Edited by jerremy, 18 September 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#20 FireJin

FireJin

Raider Representative

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:Draconis

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

Since recently update that make knight has lower def. Most classes got lower Accuacy and Cleric has less heal. Would you think to have some idea if I tried to build dodge knight for CD 

I think even dodge build, with buff knight still have like 9k-10k def. and still have some dodge to get some hit miss in case cleric cannot has enough heal for us.

I don't know, just my idea. Not sure it would work well. But wanna know your opinion

#21 jerremy

jerremy

Knight Representative

• Members
  • 6045 posts
  • LocationYour closet.

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:18 AM

A dodge knight huh. Hmm, although most classes have gotten lower accuracy, it is still easier to get accuracy than it is to get dodge.

You could put on a full dodge set, but you'd have to sacrifice a lot of attack power and other stats in return, and I myself don't think that it's worth it.

#22 Crusader1833

Crusader1833

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Server:Draconis

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:07 AM

Can I ask what does charm do for soldier?

#23 jerremy

jerremy

Knight Representative

• Members
  • 6045 posts
  • LocationYour closet.

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

Charm improves buffs and debuffs for every class.

Now, the crossbow knight does not have a lot of debuffs (only slow, in fact), but I get a little amount of charm to make the defense and hp buff stronger.

#24 DrunkinMonkey

DrunkinMonkey

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

quick question got bored n made a new knight :D Xbow for this one lol Using Unique Xbones any suggestions on best gem to use to make it more usefull p7 like I use in my bows? or one or the duel stated gems I craft my own armour as I lvl so gear isn't much of an issue but im guessing ill b using this weapon for quite a few lvls? lol

#25 jerremy

jerremy

Knight Representative

• Members
  • 6045 posts
  • LocationYour closet.

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

Hmm, if your unique is refined, then you should be able to use it all the way (using a hardened weapon might be better past the 120 point, so if you can craft for yourself i'd say do that). When we're talking gems, I wouldn't add peridots (not when lvling at least), but that also depends on how you train. If you are just in an aoe party, then there is no use for having a higher attack speed, so putting a peridot in would just be a waste of money (especialy with the cost of these nowadays). A ruby or any of the str enchanted stones is always a plus for knights (and champions as well btw). Perhaps if you use a method of combat that does rely on 1v1 combat and using basic attacks, then yes a peridot can be nice. I myself have two peridots in my equipment, but they're in my accessories, not in my weapon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users