ok, serious question: why are the spawn rates so bad on so many maps? - Page 2 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

ok, serious question: why are the spawn rates so bad on so many maps?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#26 CharAznable

CharAznable

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2716 posts
  • LocationWest Pront
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

All the examples you said are just a cash shop items.

edit: if you know what i mean :no1:

To be fair, I do agree most of up to date stuff are Cash related, thus they're what keeping up the server since they're highly in demand. 

#27 CyFire

CyFire

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

There is alot of talk here about spawn rates.  The problem with comparing them with kRO is the same as comparing them to pre-renewal.  There are/were more players on each map.  If you are woundering why Dr. Azzy said except OD2 that is exactly why.  More people there killing thus the monster rate seems higher.  It really isn't its just monsters dying in other parts faster so they show up on other areas faster.

kRO just has a ton more players so all maps seem to have higher spawn rates.  In pre-renewal players wernt driven to a handfull of maps by the exp/level limitations so there were more players on the "good maps".  Now there arn't any really good maps so everything is empty and therefore no spawn rate. 

The TI's help make this problem worse by taking players that would normally be on some maps and putting them on "instance maps".  TI's were much better when they were on regular maps.  There is really no need to try to stop leeching characters.  It will happen whatever they do. 

#28 CharAznable

CharAznable

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2716 posts
  • LocationWest Pront

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

This actually made me feel better thanks to be honest.

I wont recant my opinion tho i still think what i said showed at least some value. But now i do understand their view point as well

Thanks  :p_sleep:

I know a lot of old players rely heavily on "sentimental value" and we're all really conservative towards changes that affected our own convenience(such as mailing system, which are back now.) but we also needs to be somewhat progressive, to accept more player to have healthier server population, I enjoyed watching live-stream of new training ground, and how they could be helpful towards to new players, and potentially benefit in the long run. 

There were people who intentionally made character to memo the old training ground's hunting field, and summoned bunch of DBs just to grief new players. and i've seen few people who struggled to make a new character. That was terrible. and if this could happen without any kind of regulation, i'm sure lot more of new player will end up rage quit.

I'm glad that you understood tho.

#29 CharAznable

CharAznable

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2716 posts
  • LocationWest Pront

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

kRO just has a ton more players so all maps seem to have higher spawn rates.  In pre-renewal players wernt driven to a handfull of maps by the exp/level limitations so there were more players on the "good maps".  Now there arn't any really good maps so everything is empty and therefore no spawn rate. 

kRo don't really have that great number of player either. and regular map spawn of kRO and iRo are strangely the same. note that kRO doesn't have Turn In system, and party play is pretty common there. and only limited maps are being used for leveling. most of them uses eden quest to its fullest in kRO to pass the low level grinding. 

#30 ShinobiEX3

ShinobiEX3

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6862 posts
  • LocationForest

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

So im thinking maybe increase the spawn maps by a few maybe so its lvl wise

but at the same time they maybe drop the spawns a bit so some people can rest in a map with no fear for a few secs from mobby monsters maybe.

or bots

#31 Dirsion

Dirsion

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

i was on grand peco the other day, which was normally full of people(or bots?) wasnt barely anyone there and the monster rate seem to be bad, walked around the whole map didnt find a peco out in the middle or rim, they were packed in the spots by the portal but.. shouldnt have to go look in those spots for kills.

I'd like to comment about a few things i read. PK on RO, being we have the lack of Private pvp rooms for guild events or events in general between friends that need pvp room to do, (all those gx, sura, ect that run by and kill you and leave) If i were a newbie and i got pk, or just minding my only business leveling and someone pk'd me because they assumed i was a bot or are just rude, I'd not want to play anymore

DB on south pront... good bye~

but yeah i would think some maps need some more spawns, like ant hell, since alchemist have no manners and newbies have to be lucky to get a egg spot to grind, Note i did not say spawn rate, i said spawns.

#32 Toxn

Toxn

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3511 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:30 PM

A lot of maps could use a 1.5-2x spawn increase. Maps like Rachel Field 1 (Desert Wolves), Rachel Field 05 (Kobolds), Nogg Road 2, All except the last floor of rachel sanctuary, Biolabs 2, Turtle Island maps, Many glast heim maps, Incubus and Succubus in Geffenia, Everything New World. All come to mind pretty easily. Of course there is a crap load more though.

kRO and iRO really different. kRO players might be alright with most map spawns but iRO players in no way are. Most map spawns arent attractive to any iRO players.

Edited by Toxn, 13 September 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#33 CharAznable

CharAznable

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2716 posts
  • LocationWest Pront

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:28 PM

Main reasons why they can't give boost on many other maps with spawn follows, 

1) Allocating server with increased spawn is hard as we speak, Turn in maps are fine example where they have to allocate certain amount of server space to really take on spawn rate of that magnitude, which isn't working well this week for some reason.

2)There are many maps full of bots. This has to be addressed before we're increasing number of mob spawning in maps. 

I still think spotlight can be utilized more, like one for low level, and one for high levels. Abyss Spotlight, or Juperos, and many more dungeons can be really great. 

#34 Alicia

Alicia

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1912 posts
  • LocationLocation Location
  • Server:Disconnected

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:14 AM

Main reasons why they can't give boost on many other maps with spawn follows, 

1) Allocating server with increased spawn is hard as we speak, Turn in maps are fine example where they have to allocate certain amount of server space to really take on spawn rate of that magnitude, which isn't working well this week for some reason.

2)There are many maps full of bots. This has to be addressed before we're increasing number of mob spawning in maps. 

I still think spotlight can be utilized more, like one for low level, and one for high levels. Abyss Spotlight, or Juperos, and many more dungeons can be really great. 

Case Closed!

You now have the right to draw succulently on this lemon of a post for no less than 30 seconds.

#35 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:51 AM

is warp portal intentionally doing this? and for what reason? is it a sad attempt at slowing down our leveling ability or just a way to force us all into TI's?

theres no way anyone can deny that the spawn rates suck. the fact that they have to have 'spotlights', where spawns are increased by x2 just to make a zone levelable is proof enough.

the greatest example of poor spawn rate is comodo. during comodo spotlight, the dungeons were rich with mobs to kill and made for great leveling spots for all levels 19-125. then they remove spotlight and the mobs in the west and east are so few and far between, that even using 100s of flywings cant net you a reasonable amount of exp per hour. the west dungeon could be an AWESOME leveling spot for 98-120s, but the spawns are so bad that its not even worth the time. the only real leveling option is Nogg road, which also doesnt exactly have the best spawn rate. on the subject of comodo though, its been this bad and WORSE since they implemented the map. its like they never actually wanted players to go there or something. 

whats the point of having all of these maps in the game if youre gonna just leave them empty? we spend all of this time leveling our characters and never really get to have any fun with them because the general exp is bad and spawn rates suck. maybe exp wouldnt seem that bad if there was more to kill in a reasonable amount of time!

So what you are saying is, having all of your enemies in one map and getting rewarded twice for watching a ranger kill them for you, and leveling some 2-3x faster in the same span of time than grinding... is too much work for you?

Maybe you should play Gaia Online? You'll get gaia gold for posting on the forum all day instead of playing, there.

#36 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

I actually have to agree, I would like to see most maps spawns increased. Not to the amounts that the TI has, but most maps could really use a double spawn.

Roweens for example, has always been one in particular I've wanted to level at, but the map is just so large, and the spawns are so sparse for that ginormous map that I've very rarely actually gone there.

#37 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

I'd actually like to go the other direction and make the difficulty of monsters higher and worth mroe exp, so that fighting them 1 at a time is worth it. I want this to be a 13 classes game not arrow storm online.

#38 Trixdee

Trixdee

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1647 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Server:Renewal: Chaos

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

Agree with Jaye. 

#39 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:09 AM

I'd actually like to go the other direction and make the difficulty of monsters higher and worth mroe exp, so that fighting them 1 at a time is worth it. I want this to be a 13 classes game not arrow storm online.

Increased spawn is more likely than an exp increase sadly. kRO still hasn't increased the bio3 mob exp to actually make it worth the time. I'd love to level there too, but it's soooooooo not worth it.

#40 Toxn

Toxn

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3511 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

Except Ranger and GX are the only two classes that can single target level efficiently.

Edited by Toxn, 14 September 2013 - 08:19 AM.

#41 CharAznable

CharAznable

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2716 posts
  • LocationWest Pront

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

I'd actually like to go the other direction and make the difficulty of monsters higher and worth more exp, so that fighting them 1 at a time is worth it. I want this to be a 13 classes game not arrow storm online.

To be fair, In game balance is much focused on kRO, thus thats why we're having a lot of complains about single target leveling, or such as spawn rate complains. I'm pretty sure at this point, if we get rid of Turn In, Majority people will curse the game and quit. cause without Turn in, leveling would be super slow for them. kRO's balancing patch is solely focused on 2 man party hunt, full party but leveling individually. For some classes, Eden 100~120 quests takes huge role because its really hard for certain classes to level around that cycle. Only reason gravity could have getting away from this notorious grinding spree is because Ragnarok Online is known as "grinding game" just like Lineage, or Tails Weaver, and a lot more. and HQ haven't changed their way of patching, and balancing the game with any consideration of increasing exp, nor spawn of the map. Reason why I'm comparing this to kRO follows,

1) iRO cannot proceed their own balancing patch on classes to make other class more efficient at hunting.

2) kRO is fine with current system of grinding, and eden 100~120 for lower level group, and party hunting at scarab and guild dungeon is pretty popular at 130~150 cycle. 150~175 consist of doing GH instance, ET mvping, Charleston, and high tier Nightmare Dungeon(such as clock tower) Please do note that they still do not have access to 3xBM. even without Turn In, iRO is already fast paced leveling than kRO. 

3) There is no Turn In in kRO, and most of the complaints from iRO's hunting experiences are generated from existence of Turn In. 

I think Turn In system is fine. They really just have to introduce more contents, such as GH nightmare dungeon, to give us some option to grind in other map. and possibly update guild dungeon's monster properly so that we could try grind our exp there as well. 

Edited by CharAznable, 14 September 2013 - 09:43 AM.

#42 killedbytofu

killedbytofu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2212 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:a laggy one

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:06 AM

There is alot of talk here about spawn rates.  The problem with comparing them with kRO is the same as comparing them to pre-renewal.  There are/were more players on each map.  If you are woundering why Dr. Azzy said except OD2 that is exactly why.  More people there killing thus the monster rate seems higher.  It really isn't its just monsters dying in other parts faster so they show up on other areas faster.

The TI's help make this problem worse by taking players that would normally be on some maps and putting them on "instance maps".  TI's were much better when they were on regular maps.  There is really no need to try to stop leeching characters.  It will happen whatever they do. 

thats not exactly true, and the spotlight is proof. when they do a spotlight on a map, the spawn rate is incredible. even when there are NO other players on the map, the spawn is still healthy and full. and sure, sometimes they build up in the corners, but there are still mobs all around the map as well. the Rachel spotlight was the best evidence of this. when they made rachel a spotlight, TONS of players came out to level because it was actually worth it AND fun! i was the only person in the ice dungeon for a good 2 hours and never had problems finding mobs. as soon as they renerfed the spawn rate, it was abysmal to find anything to kill. right now rachel roweens just sucks. noone could possibly level there. comodo was another great example. the west and east dungeons are so devoid of monsters now, that its pretty much impossble to level in either without a million flywings, and even then its pretty awful yet during spotlight, you could go in at any hour and find mobs to kill and level at a decent pace. i always see the same forumers QQing that there is a world map and everyone should use it, but why should they? spawn rates just suck and youre only doing yourself a disservice by trying to squeeze blood out of a stone.

its not even just about leveling speed, but mainly about fun. its boring as hell having to walk around for long periods of time trying to find anything to kill. 

#43 littlechiyo

littlechiyo

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1560 posts
  • Server:Renewal & Classic

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:17 AM

Pre-renewal/classic rewards EXP based on difficulty of monsters so it would be time efficient to kill one monster at a time in most scenarios. Renewal leveling is mob train dependent to level efficiently. That makes low spawns extremely painful for renewal leveling and makes TI the number one choice for most players to level at.

#44 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:47 AM

I miss it when you could fight quality monsters one at a time instead of just mobbing. You could level with like, any class. Even Gypsy/Minstrel was an awesome killer in PVM all the way up to max level while wearing a shield. What happened to that?

#45 TwilightsCall

TwilightsCall

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • Server:Odin

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

I miss it when you could fight quality monsters one at a time instead of just mobbing. You could level with like, any class. Even Gypsy/Minstrel was an awesome killer in PVM all the way up to max level while wearing a shield. What happened to that?

I feel like I'm tearing off a freshly formed scab by saying this, but...

http://irowiki.org/wiki/Renewal

#46 Matchbox

Matchbox

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

I feel like this is more an issue of there not being enough people on the map to keep spawns going.

As far as I am aware, the spawns in dungeon maps were left essentially the same going from PreRE to RE, so unless there has been a major spawn update since I stopped playing renewal (first balance patch) then I feel like this is a little misdirected anger.  And though the spawn numbers are the same, as far as I noticed all the timers were changed to instant - if you want to see that for yourself, go try and level at TT9.  The map is so mobby it's almost impossible to handle (within the maps levelling range of course).

I think the real issue is that iRO has done such a good job with producing custom maps for the TIs that the other maps don't measure up.  People have had TIs for so long that they forgot there ARE good places to level outside of them, they just won't be as fast since TIs literally give double experience - at worst.

um no, ro maps mostly suck. spawns are too low. more ppl dont fix bad spawnss.

ro was never friendly 2 signel target classes tho. but it like that for most aoe centric games like ro.

#47 Alicia

Alicia

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1912 posts
  • LocationLocation Location
  • Server:Disconnected

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

About Spawns.

I dont think you rangers we're meant to clear 14000 spawns a minute.

I think Ragnarok has an underlying meaning that is meant to teach you lesson.

Voila!

#48 Matchbox

Matchbox

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

About Spawns.

I dont think you rangers we're meant to clear 14000 spawns a minute.

I think Ragnarok has an underlying meaning that is meant to teach you lesson.

Voila!

the lesson didnt even work in pre-re, pre-re had like 5 maps that were good still. the problem is with the maps itself not re or pre-re

#49 TwilightsCall

TwilightsCall

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • Server:Odin

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

um no, ro maps mostly suck. spawns are too low. more ppl dont fix bad spawnss.

ro was never friendly 2 signel target classes tho. but it like that for most aoe centric games like ro.

Uhh this is definitely false.  Renewal was never friendly to single target classes.  PreRenewal is a whole different can of worms.  Take, for example, every good levelling spot in PreRE

Thors - did anyone ever think mobbing thors was a good idea?  I'm pretty sure not even High Wizards would want to mob here.  In contrast, Champions, Snipers, Minstrels, Gypsies, Lord Knights, and Mastersmiths do a fantastic job at levelling one Kasa at a time (though, a champion is admittedly cumbersome...)

Bio3 - Full 12 man parties that killed with one or two killers who were - wait for it - GFist champs.  The only AoE was for status effects.

Bio3  HWiz - Main killers?  Gypsies or Minstrels, using Arrow Vulcan.  Alternatively, TKM, though even so its not like you can mob them when there are only two or three max.

Nameless Island - Okay, this is a fairly mob-centric map, though I think thats more from the Necromancers being three monsters each than anything else.  I didn't spend a lot of time in Nameless though so I can't tell you if it was common to mob the Necros, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't mob more than 2 or 3 at a time.

Dimensional Gorge - Mobbing DG?  Not likely, unless you have a Drac/Phree book, and if thats the case you probably aren't worried about EXP all that much!

Anubis - Mobbing anubis would be ungodly exp, but finding more than two or three of them before drowning in Pasanas and Minos?  Unlikely.  Guess you'll have to settle for just having fantastic EXP from killing them one at a time and teleporting around!

ID3 - Kind of old school, but I don't think I ever saw someone mobbing ID3 except for in those ridiculous Ice Titan turn-ins.  Pretty hard to not mob in those kinds of events though!  Killing one at a time with a DD sin/x or SD sinx worked perfectly fine for me.

Granted, not all of these places give equivalent exp, but that's just how PreRE worked - the braver you were, the more exp you got.  And of course, there were places you could mob level, but they were by no means the only viable option like you have nowadays.

As far as the spawns sucking, I'm not arguing that.  A lot of the maps probably need a boost in spawns if they want to be competitive with TIs.  But that's only because TIs are so above and beyond how the game was supposed to play.  But that aside...

more ppl dont fix bad spawnss.

I was originally going to say "I disagree," but I think I'll opt for the more confrontational "you're wrong."  The only time having  a map to yourself is better is if the things you are killing are on timed spawns, which is quite uncommon in Renewal from what I remember playing...2 or 3 years ago.  Having a healthy number of people on the map is good for the spawn rate, it keeps the central areas of the map populated with monsters and decreases the likelihood of clumps forming in the awkward spots of the map.  There are obviously extreme cases, such as overcrowding, timed/area spawns, tiny maps, etc...but for the most part I would be more than happy to have 3 or 4 other parties/players on a map killing at the same time as me.

#50 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

I think field maps should generally stay as they are, you need some sparsely populated areas for new players to wander through relatively risk free, you can't really explore in a relaxed manner if your bombarded with monsters on every screen.

Dungeons on the other hand, they should be dangerous. I think all dungeons (well, older ones like payon etc) should be 2-3x spawn. The newer ones like jup, ID, thors, scarabs etc are pretty much ok with boosted spawns for turn ins.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users