anyone play RO on laptop? - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

anyone play RO on laptop?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 WhiteHerb

WhiteHerb

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

hey guys, i just got quick question !

does anyone who plays RO on laptops has problem where you get DCed every 10 minsutes when u r vending ?

i keep getting dced when i put my vendor on my laptop....like every 10 minutes or so...

its not my internet since my bro uses desktop and he has no problem at all...

=( does anyone know how to fix thisss

#2 Kieri

Kieri

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2995 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Nothing.

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:44 PM

Not sure, I use a laptop too and never had problems. :v

#3 WhiteHerb

WhiteHerb

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

hmmmm i hate when there is problem and i dunno what is causing it nor i know how to fix it .... T^T

#4 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

I play on a laptop and I don't have issues.

I'm using a direct connection though, not wifi. I also adjusted my power settings to never shut off since it's always plugged in (the most my computer does is dim, it never sleeps or shuts off).

#5 azumak1

azumak1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1347 posts
  • Server:Chaos!

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:03 PM

There might be something in your lappy's power saving settings that is turning off your Wifi periodically or after a certain time (RO uses extremely low bandwidth, especially while vending in a lower-populated area in Pront) ... I went through the advanced settings on my new Vaio and remember a setting that would sleep the wifi adapter after x time. Semi-related, I also made it so that it doesn't spin down the hard drive for a much longer time, as sprites that aren't cached in RO's RAM have to be loaded from hard drive. 

#6 Derps

Derps

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

sometime laptop goes auto-sleep

and in that process wifi will be disabled to save battery life

and it will reconnect again as soon as you wake it up so you may think that it is not your internet connection problem

#7 Tofu

Tofu

Too Legit To Quit

• Public Security Section 9
  • 3287 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:05 PM

If you set up a vend, and continue to use your computer, do you stay connected? And then do you seem to disconnect only minutes after walking away?

That would suggest your laptop is going to sleep, which will disconnect it from the internet. Do the power mode adjustments like Tkwan said, and that should fix it.

#8 WhiteHerb

WhiteHerb

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:30 PM

thanks all ! so i've been trying to figure out stuff that some of you suggested..

so from what i can see, as long as i am using the computer in some way (even small movement of mouse), RO disconnection doesn't happen..

But if i leave it for 10~20 minutes, RO gets DCed..

all my settings are set in a way that it will NEVER go to sleep nor screen goes dim.

i guess i gotta figure out what's causing 10~20 minute interval wifi disconnection =(

#9 beaupoem

beaupoem

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4239 posts
  • LocationMora

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:21 AM

pretty sure it'll be obvious if it's a virus or not

#10 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:28 AM

Moving this to a place where you might actually get some help. x_o

#11 stygionyx

stygionyx

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1463 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:23 AM

Do you use some lowering ping program? A free trial usually disconnect you every 15 min ~ 30 min.

#12 Alicia

Alicia

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1912 posts
  • LocationLocation Location
  • Server:Disconnected

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

Hmm... I have been vending for a couple days and have noticed a lot of disconections.

I do not necesarilly think it is your laptop - but the server stability of late.

#13 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

You're gonna have to dig around in power management settings. What version of windows do you have?

On Win7 (and probably vista): 

*Control Panel -> Power Options

*Click the selected power plan, and then click change plan settings. 

*Make sure "put the computer to sleep" is never. Turn Off The Display can probably be left on. 

*Click Change advanced power settings, make following changes: 

**Hard Disks -> Turn off after..: 0 (never)

**Set Wireless Adapter Settings: Maximum Performance

**PCI Express - Link State Power Management: Off

See where it goes from there. 

On some systems, you may have to disable the turning off the display too (I have a dell latitude 6400, with all power management off. I dug around in device manager and turned off power management for the wired network adapter there too - but it still drops the wired network connection the moment the screen goes off - wireless however does not drop)

(edit)

There is also another place you may need to disable powersaving:

Open Device Manager, expand network adapters, rightclick on your network card, and select properties. On powermanagement tab, uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device..." - however, this may not do what we want it to, since on the above mentioned laptop, this is checked for the wireless card (which doesn't get turned off) and unchecked for the wired card (which does). 

Hmm... I have been vending for a couple days and have noticed a lot of disconections.

I do not necesarilly think it is your laptop - but the server stability of late.

RO servers have been rock solid lately for me - if you're having a DC issue, it's an issue with your computer or connection. If you want to discuss this issue, start a new thread, as your issue is different from his. 

It is not related to this person's issue, since they report that:

* Desktop on same internet connection does not DC

* Laptop does not DC when the mouse is kept moving

These clearly point to a power management issue. 

Edited by DrAzzy, 07 October 2013 - 09:37 AM.

#14 Harkoa

Harkoa

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 431 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin, Channel 5

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

I can't tell you exactly where to find it because it's been a while, but I had this problem years ago on a very old laptop. My issue was the network card kept timing out/turning off when you went "idle" and you have to change the settings for it to not idle at all (or increase the time to a time more suited to your tastes).

I'd try to google your OS with keywords "network card times out" or so and find where to access the network settings for your card. I just tried googling it and I guess the term is "standby", but yeah, I'd google it nonetheless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users