Elaborate Fake GM Scammer - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Elaborate Fake GM Scammer

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 XIII_Eraser

XIII_Eraser

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1448 posts
  • LocationBehind You
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:53 AM

So today I was in Eden having a chat up and buying and selling stuff when some person KITTENS comes in being all racist and trying to sell me something and at around the same time iRO GM 08 PMs me and KITTENS. The fake GM then tells me to make a chat at mid pront and only have 2 people be able to be in it, me and KITTENS, and since only 2 people are able to be in there if the fake GM somehow is able to get in there making him the 3rd person in the chat then he is a GM according to him. After that I did what he said just out of curiosity to see what these scammers really do and to see if the other guy KITTENS is with the fake GM and this is what happens in our chat box (I edited out the other guy's name and translated some of his words because we were talking in tagalog(filipino language).

(KITTENS) has entered.

KITTENS : bro
KITTENS : what is this just us 2 in a chat for
KITTENS : aw.                               
iRO GM 08 ; FAKE? so its a 
direspect
xvxarbalestxvx : I don't know they said
they'll come in
xvxarbalestxvx : ugh
KITTENS : aw...                               
iRO GM 20 : we are fake?? lets see
xvxarbalestxvx : sorry i just need 
to see a sprite
KITTENS : hm...                               
iRO GM 08 ; go to ropd
KITTENS : ...                               
iRO GM 08 ; search iRO GM 20
xvxarbalestxvx : okay yea i checked 
it
iRO GM 08 ; so you will see
FLOETIC : aw...                               
iRO GM 08 ; iRO GM 20 sprite
xvxarbalestxvx : so what is this 
for?
iRO GM 08 ; how old are you first
xvxarbalestxvx : 56
KITTENS : haha...                               
iRO GM 08 ; old enough
iRO GM 08 ; if you notice
iRO GM 08 ; there's no GM DOING 
EVEN
KITTENS : yes...                               
iRO GM 08 ; EVENT*
iRO GM 08 ; the game is uqite
iRO GM 08 ; getting boring
iRO GM 08 ; so we need new GM
KITTENS : wow...                               
iRO GM 08 ; and we choose you
xvxarbalestxvx : oh really
xvxarbalestxvx : thats so nice
iRO GM 08 ; add me in skype
KITTENS : ok sir...                               
iRO GM 08 ; irogm.08
xvxarbalestxvx : now why don't you 
go eat a (Expletive)
iRO GM 08 ; wow ok
xvxarbalestxvx : and I'm not even 
56 (Expletive)
iRO GM 08 ; ill ban you then..
xvxarbalestxvx : show me a mo-_-ing 
GM sprite (Expletive)
xvxarbalestxvx : ban me?
iRO GM 08 ; ok lets see
xvxarbalestxvx : guess what I dont 
give a (Expletive)
KITTENS : arg...                               
iRO GM 08 ; i have proof
xvxarbalestxvx : go eat a (Expletive)
iRO GM 08 ; ok :D leave now
iRO GM 08 ; and wait :D
KITTENS : waaaaaa
(KITTENS) has left.

Now I think KITTENS is with the scammer because while we were PMing each other I told him that I think this GM is fake because I haven't seen a sprite and somehow at the beginning of the whole chat the fake GM knew I was calling him fake. I have screenshots of everything even the PMs I had with KITTENS in our language so I doubt that would be much help. What I don't get about this whole thing is how was the fake GM able to enter the chat when the limit for the chat is 2 people also there were 2 fake GMs with somehow legit names PMing me it was iRO GM 08 and iRO GM 20 also all of these 3 people the 2 fake GMs and KITTENS were saying that the GMs were real based on the fact that if I go to ROPD and look them up I would see a GM sprite, they were all trying to use ROPD to show me that the GMs were real that's why I think they were all together.

P.S. Sorry I used the Red text I know you guys would just replace the other guy's name with KITTENS if I were to post his name anyways.

#2 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9782 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:03 PM

same old scam....

#3 Ambur

Ambur

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3403 posts
  • LocationNevada
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:20 PM

He came into my chat box. A simple curse word and he left. :)

That semi-colon is some obvious stuff. The ones putting double spaces into character names and periods is more annoying. They need to ban the use of any form of GM in names and iRO. Other games make it so gm can't be anywhere in the name at all.

#4 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10262 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

If you still have them added on skype, please report them here: https://support.skyp...windows-desktop

#5 KyrieDielle

KyrieDielle

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2428 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

same old scam....

yep. but some people are still falling for this s**t... *facepalm*

Edited by Kaishun, 16 December 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#6 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

FLOETIC : aw...                               
iRO GM 08 ; iRO GM 20 sprite
xvxarbalestxvx : so what is this 
for?
iRO GM 08 ; how old are you first

Floetic doesn't even exist on ROPD, I wonder if it was a novice that he deleted or if he just wasn't picked up by the ropd bot yet.

#7 XIII_Eraser

XIII_Eraser

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1448 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

If you still have them added on skype, please report them here: https://support.skyp...windows-desktop

I didn't add this person to skype because I knew he was fake. If I pm you the name of KITTENS can you please check this player out because I think he or she was with the fake GM scammers and also KITTENS and the other fake GMs were able to enter my chatroom without having their names entered in the top left corner of my chatbox and the fake GMs were able to get into my chatbox even though it was full so do you maybe know how they are doing this? Because besides the fact that they have the iRO GM 08/20 names they can do this thing with the chatbox which really makes it believable to some people.

#8 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10262 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:47 PM

All they are doing is putting a lot of spaces between their actual account says and what the "GM" says. 

Joe example: Hey                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  iroGM Oda: Hey give me your skype

#9 XIII_Eraser

XIII_Eraser

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1448 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:48 PM

Floetic doesn't even exist on ROPD, I wonder if it was a novice that he deleted or if he just wasn't picked up by the ropd bot yet.

Haha crap I missed one but yea I'm friends with that person right now and I did check that player out in ROPD and didn't find him/her what I think is that these fake GMs and that player uses the name change box to keep on changing their names that's why I think they're hard to detect.

#10 XIII_Eraser

XIII_Eraser

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1448 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

All they are doing is putting a lot of spaces between their actual account says and what the "GM" says. 

Joe example: Hey                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  iroGM Oda: Hey give me your skype

I looked through the screenshots again and the chat says I'm the only one in the chat box it says (1/2) yet there is 3 other people talking to me in there which makes it 4 people in a 2 only people chatbox and about the spaces wouldn't the spaces show up while these people are PMing me?

#11 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:01 PM

I looked through the screenshots again and the chat says I'm the only one in the chat box it says (1/2) yet there is 3 other people talking to me in there which makes it 4 people in a 2 only people chatbox and about the spaces wouldn't the spaces show up while these people are PMing me?

The extra ones in the chatbox are being spoofed. They may have chars with names like the fake GM to talk via PM, but that char isn't in the chat because it's a freshly created (and soon to be banned) novice The player doing it is probably a previous victim (that's their MO - they get someone to give them PW, strip their account, then use the account to scam other people - and since it's someone's real account, it looks legit). 

Always report the players involved with this to the GM team immediately. 

#12 WarlockFier

WarlockFier

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Server:Silph Road

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

Can they disable a lot of space in between chat? I know sometimes some chat clients or email clients changes more than 10 spaces into 2 instead.. Then again maybe it's not something possible.

Edited by WarlockFier, 16 December 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#13 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

I wonder if we could add feature to nospam to block messages with tons of whitespace followed by non-whitespace. Should be straightforward. Or even just within chat windows?

(You can't just block messages with oddly large amounts of whitespace, since people often end messages with a block of spaces, because the original message got cut off, and it's faster to blank it with spaces than backspacing, because if you backspace, the letters that overflowed will still be there in reverse order, requiring a second click and backspace round (or more if you didn't notice it was overflowing))

Edited by DrAzzy, 16 December 2013 - 01:21 PM.

#14 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:45 PM

I wonder if we could add feature to nospam to block messages with tons of whitespace followed by non-whitespace. Should be straightforward. Or even just within chat windows?

(You can't just block messages with oddly large amounts of whitespace, since people often end messages with a block of spaces, because the original message got cut off, and it's faster to blank it with spaces than backspacing, because if you backspace, the letters that overflowed will still be there in reverse order, requiring a second click and backspace round (or more if you didn't notice it was overflowing))

If you can nospam it though, you can easily just set it to automatically block the very number of white spaces required to do that. Most people won't use 10+ white spaces rather than just hitting enter and continuing their next sentence.

This would force that hacker to get creative and actually formulate sentences rather than just spacing it. And sentences, unless it's an entirely scripted conversation of like 20+ lines, could become extremely obvious that it would be a cheating method at that point. Based on screens and convo's this guy has provided, it doesn't seem like he's really intelligent enough to realize he could do that, or how to do that properly, so your idea could definitely work Azzy.

#15 kijudoav

kijudoav

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • Server:both.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:29 PM

encountered the same event.

told the guy to Suck it.

#16 iDaehyun

iDaehyun

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 793 posts
  • Location桃花島

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

I ran into him twice, seems like he love lurking around the Eden Group, though we have the yellow warning about how GM won't ask for your Skype and such, so if people actually pay attention, they'll be fine.

Edited by iDaehyun, 16 December 2013 - 02:35 PM.

#17 WarlockFier

WarlockFier

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Server:Silph Road

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:37 PM

I know they censor words out and give you a warning "I don't think so buddy", why not try and test that and see? =x

Also whoever fell for this is really not smart enough to realize there's always that other player going hm.. haha... ... which is annoying as hell, and not talking like a normal person. >.>;;

#18 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9329 posts
  • LocationBehind you?
  • Server:Chaos- Renewal

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

Now he's using Campitors GM number as a name to try to fool people too, rather than just Oda's. Must be after the time I had Campitor come join the chat with us and chase them around Prontera. They are very persistent.

#19 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

Will be addressing it in the new version of nospam

#20 G0R314

G0R314

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 211 posts
  • LocationKelantan, Malaysia
  • Server:iRO-Chaos

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

i still waiting the scammer to pm me. i want to play too... evrybodies in my guild have play with them even once.. T.T..

#21 Izzy1

Izzy1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1793 posts
  • LocationU.K
  • Server:Chaos Renewal - Smokies

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:28 AM

They won't play with me anymore :( I even PM them and they tell me to go away! :sob:  I'm so unloved..

#22 JuanThe

JuanThe

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:43 AM

yep same guy tried the same -_- with me told me hed ban me told him to blow off i have screenshots and stuff if needed.

#23 TheQuietStorm

TheQuietStorm

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
  • Server:chaos>ymir>chaos

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:59 AM

ps- there is a person in game with the name Kittens

might want to change to something else, before silly peple start being silly to the 'real' kittens ;)

#24 KyrieDielle

KyrieDielle

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2428 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:19 AM

They won't play with me anymore :( I even PM them and they tell me to go away! :sob:  I'm so unloved..

I'll give you the love you want..

MAN LOVE!! Broooomance!  :ani_awsm:

#25 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10262 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:12 AM

Remember, you can report them for abuse to skype if you've added them to your skype. I do not recommend that people do this, but if you've already gone and done it, do it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users