GRAVITY CO., LTD. 2013 Fiscal Year Report - Page 3 - Off Topic - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

GRAVITY CO., LTD. 2013 Fiscal Year Report

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
79 replies to this topic

#51 Cleffy

Cleffy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2377 posts
  • Playing:Requiem

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:20 PM

Gravity wont have another success while the same people who were in charge in 2004 are in charge now in 2014. Aside from the CEO, most of the upper management has not been changed despite their piss poor performance. They are wondering why they don't have another hit when they are not breaking the mold? Ofcourse they don't have a hit when they release reskinned clones, that should be obvious. For 2002, Ragnarok Online was ground breaking. For 2014 a reskinned half assed WoW clone isn't anything special. The development teams for Gravity Interactive are also in the same boat, relatively amateur.  They work and work and work, but don't really accomplish anything and don't attempt to push the game into more markets. They are simply performing life support on dead games even though they have games were they can pretty much develop anything for it since they are already products that have been given up on.

Edited by Cleffy, 10 May 2014 - 09:22 PM.

#52 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:01 PM

They'll pull a Square Enix soon enough, realising that their flagship brand and in turn their profitability is languishing due to assets being mishandled, and pledging to once again actively develop the thing that made them famous, on its original platform, instead of crappy mobile products.

Or maybe they won't.

Gravity = Ragnarok Online. Gravity ≠ fad IM-driven mobile apps that take less than a month to actively develop and aren't even made in-house.

#53 Cleffy

Cleffy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2377 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

Ragnarok Online would work pretty well as a tablet game.

#54 stockings

stockings

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

you wont be able to play ro seriously on anything but a keyboard and a mouse.

#55 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:08 AM

i cant imagine figuring out how to play on a tablet without them completely overhauling the entire system... how would one use hotkeys on a tablet exactly?

#56 Himeyasha

Himeyasha

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

just put it on either the right or left as a side bar ?

#57 Sapphic

Sapphic

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 2660 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:47 PM

Dragon Story ripoff with RO monsters to raise, pls.

#58 Shippou22

Shippou22

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • LocationMexico
  • Server:chaos

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

if you think touch screen will work for ro try ragnarok DS, it was terrible to control

#59 shirotea

shirotea

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Location/where
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:19 AM

i cant imagine figuring out how to play on a tablet without them completely overhauling the entire system... how would one use hotkeys on a tablet exactly?

Maybe like this?

#60 stockings

stockings

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:41 AM

i guess thats why parties get wiped most times. priests shoudlnt play on a tablet

im more impressed about the crowds

#61 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

Basic play on non-PVP related things wouldn't be that bad in a sense with a tablet, but you have to realize that a tablet or anything that deals with a touch-screen function for playing the game would make it nearly impossible to compete in PVP against others who use keyboards. We're not all Star Trek androids who can play with a touch screen at the speed of light.

#62 WaterBaron

WaterBaron

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:02 AM

In that report they list the major reasons for their decreased revenues 2013 vs. 2012:
1. 32.8% decrease revenues from Ragnarok Online Japan. -$8.9m
2. 53.9% decrease revenues merchandising,etc. -3.6m
3. 19.2% decrease revenues from Finding Neverland Online (died?) -1.8m

On the bright side 75.6% increase revenue in mobile games/apps. +5.9m

RO falling off in Japan put a dent in their wallet. Probably a good idea for them to get away from games like RO and into more mobile/apps.

#63 Forzando

Forzando

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:34 AM

They made Finding Neverland Online? It looks like a generic WoW clone, heck it looks almost exactly like another MMO I played with a different name -.- They need to make a new original game that has RO-like mechanics. Maybe a real RO2 or a RO3 >_>

Edit: Oh wait they didn't make FNO (known as Eden Eternal), X-Legend made it, who also made the MMO I thought it looked like. But it was published by Requiem (censored? hardcore talking about MMOs, it's not Requiem, but I guess I won't name the company, Google is your friend, I'm sure it will be very hard to find), what does it have to do with Gravity?

Edit again: I should've read it more, found the answer, Gravity KR entered into a license agreement with X-Legend to publish it in Korea. My bad.

Edited by Forzando, 13 May 2014 - 06:21 AM.

#64 Damara

Damara

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

RO falling off in Japan put a dent in their wallet. Probably a good idea for them to get away from games like RO and into more mobile/apps.

What they will probably do first is a segment analysis of whether any RO markets are still profitable. They might trim some of the regional games that aren't making money, like they have in the past. I doubt they'll drop RO all at once because that would mean an end to the revenue that is coming in, but they'll trim as much fat as possible to reduce costs before they dump it.

#65 UnknownBeing

UnknownBeing

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

exactly. Chase where the money is at! :0

#66 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:15 AM

well hopefully warpportal is smart enough to snatch up Terms of Service so when RO dies it will keep most of its RO base....

#67 Izzy1

Izzy1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1793 posts
  • LocationU.K
  • Server:Chaos Renewal - Smokies

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

I used to have a touch screen monitor, it's pretty cool. The only thing I couldn't do was type for chat.

I did have to set a couple of rows of "Single touch double click" for the skills and Dual Touch. So I can touch two places at once. It really is pretty cool. I wish this laptop had touch screen.

#68 zr0rieu

zr0rieu

Universal Translator

• Members
  • 3475 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:25 AM

well hopefully warpportal is smart enough to snatch up Terms of Service so when RO dies it will keep most of its RO base....

Lead developer of Terms of Service and Gravity Co. aren't on good terms at all. Since Warpportal (Gravity Interactive) is a subsidiary of Gravity Co. it won't happen unless some miracle happens.

#69 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

Lead developer of Terms of Service and Gravity Co. aren't on good terms at all. Since Warpportal (Gravity Interactive) is a subsidiary of Gravity Co. it won't happen unless some miracle happens.

then there is a pretty decent chance that Terms of Service may just be the nail in the coffin for RO... due to slow updates and questionable decisions by both gravity and WP and dwindling populations... Terms of Service may be exactly what RO players are wanting now...

#70 Forzando

Forzando

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

The gameplay of Terms of Service seems slightly different than RO's though. Aside from being a 2D game from some of the original game developers, how similar are the two games?

#71 zr0rieu

zr0rieu

Universal Translator

• Members
  • 3475 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:52 AM

RO and Terms of Service gameplay are very different, but they both target the same niche market within the MMO genre. Both games have their unique aspects though.

#72 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:05 AM

Unfortunately this topic turned into a discussion of other games. Moving it into off topic.

#73 yurioj75

yurioj75

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationAssindia, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

Our failure to maintain, improve, update or enhance Ragnarok Online in a timely manner or successfully introduce it in attractive new markets is likely to lead to a continual decline in Ragnarok Online's user base and subscription revenues and royalties. This will likely lead to a decline in our overall revenues, which would materially and adversely affect our business, financial condition and results of operations. 

Aha! And this most likely seems to be the reason that the development stagnates on other games such as "Dragon Saga"... All resources must now be pushed into this one game... I think it's a big mistake just to rely on one game and another big mistake is to invest to much power into the mobile games. 

Big development studios are more and more closing their mobile development divisions...  Maybe the other games (Rose, Requiem, DragonSaga) have much potential when Gravity would invest more effort into the games and maybe add them to "Steam", too. And that would mean, that the development team should fix all these small bugs and glitches in the first place that populate the other games.

At the moment they let all these games that are full of potential just die. Some of the titles are very unique, one-of-a-kind, MMOs on the market, especially Rose and DragonSaga.

Edited by yurioj75, 13 May 2014 - 11:32 AM.

#74 saki999

saki999

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:25 PM

This is impossible with the current situation.

Gravity Co. is running low on cash. ($25 million on hand, burn rate is about $9+ million annually)

Gungho and Softbank probably won't give anymore cash infusion to Gravity Co. unless they manage to turn things around somehow.

Terms of Service will kill RO for sure. 

RO can survive a bit if they switch completely to mobile. Their mobile asset is generating positive cash flow for now. 

#75 Cleffy

Cleffy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2377 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:57 PM

Gravity Co could turn around their situation overnight while still competing in the mmo space. The problem is their management is not smart enough to pull it off and sold off their ground work to do so. The board at Gravity are just a bunch of corrupt idiots who are looking for a buck to get by another day through whatever means possible.

Terms of Service will most likely be hosted by Redbana when it comes to the US. Redbana is Hanbitsofts US publishing arm for about a year now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users