Expressing some thoughts, via a lot of words. - Game Discussions (archived) - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Expressing some thoughts, via a lot of words.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
153 replies to this topic

#1 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

POPULAR

Disclaimer: This post has been part written for many weeks. I’ve had a hard time finding the words to express everything I want to say here. It’s not related to any one event in game, or group of people, but is the cumulation of a multitude of events and situations. I don’t promise complete coherency throughout what I write here.

People might be surprised how often I’m contacted by other players asking me to pitch an idea for them on the forums, or contact a staff member about a problem they may have. The reason for that is that more often than not most of the iRO playerbase believe the staff don’t listen to them.

An example of that would be the 5v5 tournament reward hat. When the team I was on found out the hat wasn’t buffed, I replied to them saying they should express their dissatisfaction themselves on the forums/to the staff. I was bluntly told no, that’s pointless, “they only listen to you”.

Score one facepalm from me. I don’t like being expected to relay these things back and forth. And this person knew it too, I completely understand why he said it. “they don’t like me, they don't listen to me and I know you hate doing this.”

“I do hate it, I hate how people accuse me of having GM bias and favouritism when they don’t listen to other players.” was my response.

I was told, “it’s too late to change that now. It’s what you are.”

This is not me being angry at that other player - I get it. I really do get it... I am upset that the staff engineer that sort of response from the playerbase, intentionally or not. It’s ridiculously uncomfortable in a way. Whilst I haven’t minded doing so sometimes, I try to tell people, just express yourselves! Say the things you want to say. They will listen eventually... I think.

This is a side rant and not the point that I want to make, it’s simply setting the scene. Imagine this all of the time, many times. Not just from my guildmates, but other people that I currently or used to play with. Or simply people I’ve befriended over time in RO. This whole culture of “the staff don’t listen” is so deeply embedded throughout the community that nobody really bothers to say anything.

The next part of my post is one that people who are both my guildmates and not part of my guild have thrown around and discussed. For the most part people are annoyed about this and agree something needs to be said. I didn’t want to be the one to do it, but nobody else wants to do this either. I personally don’t like it and I wish someone else would say something but hey.

That... God Item creation quest. Which has consistently bugged and almost never worked as intended (unless I was using it apparently), not being properly implemented hurt the natural competition of the server. Nobody wanted this “quest” or it’s addons. Since it’s implementation I think my group have only not been responsible for two entire seal rolls.  I’m really not sure what the purpose of that quest being put in was.

Back in June, someone popped open the seals and headed down there with the intention to make two items at once. They had been “selling” a creation and guaranteeing multiple people that even if the god item creation had competition, they would be able to make their items. How does someone “Guarantee” such a thing?

Well let me explain. The quest was “broken”. Any time I didn’t take part apparently a second item was unable to be made. Turns out there was a really short time limit in which the npc would kick all players out after the god item was created. It’s only a few seconds.

So what happens if two players walk in after the first person creates? Why, they both send a ticket to the GM and three god items get made instead of two.

A brief intermission here from my story to point out that people have been firmly against multiple god item creations. But... unlistened to.

This is nothing personal against the people who wrote in and made this happen. This is questioning the staff’s competence and understanding of the game they are handling. What is the point of having a win condition and a lose condition if everybody wins?

A few weeks ago, my guild did Okolnir. We did it three times... and two of those times we had lag and disconnect issues causing us to fail.

On the third time we took a gamble and started before WoE. WoE began when we were on the final stage. I looked over the NPC dialogue related to Okolnir looking for any clues that if we lost the fort during woe it wouldn’t complete. The dialogue only talks about opening the realm.

We lost our castle between the final mvp dying and us clicking on the NPC. They made us wait two weeks before telling us “no, working as intended.”

I suppose giving out an asprika to a group who endured disconnects at the hands of crappy servers and lag after proving they can do the quest (who started the quest in faith that it wouldn't deny them on the basis of badly described quest conditions) would be far worse than taking the time to check timestamps and seeing who “won” the race into the god item creation lab and putting two Megingjards on the server; not concerned with which one of those players should have one and which should be denied. After all, Okolnir is private business and seals are competed. The only correct action would be to reward the losers in the race.

This is where it starts to get difficult for me as a player. My guildmates, my friends they tell me that the GMs don’t care that they “oopsed” and made a third God item when only two should be made. They believe that it was done on purpose to counterbalance my guild! That alongside the magical “oopses” that have been happening during the entire existence of this quest and the fact that as a group Valhalla were told that our feedback was too biased. You heard that correctly, the staff wanted feedback from people who DIDN’T TAKE PART in the quest. Not people who did it a bunch of times very quickly and said “hey, this is a horrible idea!”. Not to mention the entire quest mechanic means now that should one guild be willing to put in the effort, one that isn’t can pretty much coast along and ride off their work. Harder work than the old version.

Regardless, what I’m saying there is that people believe the GMs are working against groups in game. I’m not saying for one moment that this is actually the case. To be honest if (and that’s a BIG if) it was I wouldn’t be bothered too much. I played on old Chaos, I’ve seen bad things. I don’t care. I can’t say the same for the people I play alongside. They’re less tenacious than I am.  

But, that’s only a part of the whole situation. How about these people that have multiple magical MVP cards? People who don’t ...even... play...? Or even god items. It’s not only RMT but duping as well. Many of these people have been reported many times over a huge time span. Nothing happens. These people are chronic, repeat RMTers and dupers. Why is nothing ever done?

It’s great that there is going to be a crackdown on nodelay.... Forgive me for not jumping with optimism right here but you see, certain people have gotten away with it despite repeated reports for years. Whilst others get cracked down on instantly. There’s something to be said for there being a need to be cautious. A mistake was made only recently. I thought it was nodelay too until more research was done. The guy pretty much convinced me through some solid video that he didn’t do anything too much untoward. It’s impossible to reach anyone about it. He’s skyped me asking for help. Not minding the fact that he shouldn’t feel like having to approach another player to fix the situation, nobody is listening anyway!

As a guildleader, I get sent all sorts of files and messages and programs.

“my guild uses this!”

“my friends sent me that!”

RO isn’t so much fun anymore, it’s a mess of those who know how to edit their grf, a plethora of redistributable downloads to get dlls and changing computer timezones to russian. There’s a cheat for everything. Silly community, just play.

I haven’t seen or heard of a single person being banned for autopot. Don’t we think it’s time the community and staff had this talk? Ok sure you can’t stop it. It won’t go away. Either go get people and deter them from using it, or level the playing field. I’m sure it wouldn’t be hard to get an official autopot up and running. In the mean time the competitive field of the game depends on whether or not you have private server contacts, a personal in guild programmer or just don’t mind fighting uphill.

Personally, I dislike the use of such third party programs. It takes away from what the game is to me. Even RCX is some what annoying. I love the replay feature! But much like RCX, I feel like there needs to be more defined lines on what is and isn’t allowed.

I know a fair few people feel the same and that they can’t express themselves as such, due to community backlash or belief in the GMs apathy and/or bias. Others just throw all such concerns aside and just join in. It is the way RO is now.

On a personal note and ... well I guess this whole rant is sort of personal to me anyway, what really sucks is being slapped around like a community pariah by not only the very people who ask me to help them, but it feels like the staff do it too.

If community members are going to ask for help getting attention raised to certain issues, I wish they would vocalize their concerns personally. Instead of going to one person then crying BIAS BIAS BIAS over that one person. You guys suck you know who you are.

And if the staff are going to act as so indifferently toward glaring issues in the game that the playerbase keep trying to raise, maybe a thank you could be in order for the individuals who take all the flack for it.

Also please fix the gvg rooms on classic and payon pvp. Please make bio3 a viable levelling spot. Just  revert it to what it used to be, it worked, people used it. Stop giving us quests that need to be buffed sixteen times before they are usable. Listen to the player base.

#2 Havenn

Havenn

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6523 posts
  • LocationRagnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:44 PM

Russian timezones......O.o

#3 ilovemilk

ilovemilk

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3452 posts
  • LocationMilky Way
  • Server:Offline

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

I almost thought that this is an I quit thread from reading your intro. Well this game needs people like you--people who cares and try their best to get the staff to care. Truth is. They don't really care about this game as much as you. I've personal seen many no delay users get let go without any punishment. I've personally seen foul mouth auto users get let go as if they are legitimately targeting people accurately in mili seconds. Sometimes I wonder if the GMs responding to our tickets even understand the mechanics of the game they are supporting. I've submitted many tickets with concrete evidence of auto users (packet senders), but all I got in the response was that it is possible for people to target and hit you in mili seconds as soon as you come on screen. I got a video of a cheater auto pots, but all I got from the GMS was that they will look into it. I don't submit tickets anymore. I seldom go on the forum now. These days I only log on to talk to my friends during WOE. We have a huge collection of replay videos showing concrete evidence of no delay users, but nothing was done.

If banning these cheaters will hurt the population then a permanent solution from the devs is needed.

Edited by ilovemilk, 18 August 2014 - 03:05 PM.

#4 ShinobiEX3

ShinobiEX3

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6862 posts
  • LocationForest

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

lol interesting

#5 iamvrypwrful

iamvrypwrful

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1245 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

I haven’t seen or heard of a single person being banned for autopot. Don’t we think it’s time the community and staff had this talk? Ok sure you can’t stop it. It won’t go away. Either go get people and deter them from using it, or level the playing field. I’m sure it wouldn’t be hard to get an official autopot up and running.

I think autopot should be legal as well, it only hurts the people playing by the rules. Almost all the top guilds over the past however many years on all servers have used it.

#6 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:14 PM

you can tell alot of the time by the questions you get asked in ticket responses that the GMs either dont care or dont know what they are doing... and its crap... how many times have people on renewal begged not to be given HBP/FAW/Certs ect... only to have a fire sale box popped in the very same week with those items in it? They say they want to bring in new players but do thing that hurt the newbies... Payon is still under constant DB attack... Prontera is safe but now newbies have a harder time asking vets for advice or help... the economy is far beyond repair... the community views the GMs as out of touch and broken and feel interacting with them on any level gets nothing done... i can clearly see why players would look to people they see as GM liaisons for help... but what they dont realize is tha those of us they think can help have no more power or authority than they do... we just want things done more and are willing to scream loud enough for somebody to finally listen... the player base is disheartened... the forums are a mess... you have people here who dont even play and only come to troll or play but troll anyway... you have a few players who actually seem to care about the state of things and try to change things... and then you have the rest.. a mish mash of people who wnat things easier or free and people who just dont really care anymore... ill say that the current CMs are better than when we had Heim here and Campitor does get stuff resolved when he can... and Oda does take alot  of our feedback and runs with it... but sometimes it seems they listen to the wrong people... perhaps theres somebody behind the scenes making decisions based solely on what they think will make more money... but alienating various groups in this and that wont help the bottom line... if enough people lose faith this game will come to a end...

#7 Gn1ydnu

Gn1ydnu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2077 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

I haven’t seen or heard of a single person being banned for autopot. Don’t we think it’s time the community and staff had this talk? Ok sure you can’t stop it. It won’t go away. Either go get people and deter them from using it, or level the playing field. I’m sure it wouldn’t be hard to get an official autopot up and running. In the mean time the competitive field of the game depends on whether or not you have private server contacts, a personal in guild programmer or just don’t mind fighting uphill.

This times 100 ^. I hate having to be legit and fight an uphill battle against cheaters on all sides.

#8 Jenna

Jenna

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

I think it does need to be discussed as a community. Autopot and other things like this regardless of whatever anybody says, is a HUGE game-changer. When I read or hear people arguing that it isn't a game-changer, I just have to roll my eyes. Are you kidding me? Autopot, Nodelay, bot-warpers, whatever it may be I'm just like, how do you argue it isn't a game-changer, at all?

Regarding hearing about this "glitched quest", making god items, I understand that it won't be reversible but it seems inconsistent on where our game-leaders stand on this. Quest bugged? Here's the god item. Quest failed for another group? Nope. Where can we read this situation by situation basis on when a god item will be created, and not created?

I google-searched "Bio3, Wizard spawn" and there have been numerous posts and requests. I wanted to suggest this in the Tiki Tuesday but it seems like sometimes the requests may come off as trolling the GM's (such as buff X, or do Y). Why not focus the streams of "lets play ragnarok" on the spotlights, quests, and events that you put in and see for yourselves and play with your playerbase. Right now, it's basically "slave the GM's" while they play Ragnarok... Why not show new players with less then par gear to see if you can party up and do the things you put in? The entire player base isn't on the forums and as much as I encourage people to post, some people feel like its still going to fall on deaf ears.

Some of the things addressed in this thread should be seriously considered and discussed, I hope the trolls don't get hungry!

#9 belld1711

belld1711

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1730 posts
  • LocationWhere ever you want me to be.
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

This times 100 ^. I hate having to be legit and fight an uphill battle against cheaters on all sides.

I don't participate in WoE, but I feel that I should point out that the discussion doesn't focus solely on WoE and cheaters in WoE (IE autopot). If the thread turns in that direction, it'll just turn into another finger pointing thread which the GMs will yet again, ignore or close due to "drama." And this would make the well, thought out arguments the OP made pointless when all aspects of what was stated needs focused on.

Just my two cents. Carry on.

#10 HeIIraiser

HeIIraiser

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1201 posts
  • LocationUranus

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

Oi

#11 Gn1ydnu

Gn1ydnu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2077 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:43 PM

I don't participate in WoE, but I feel that I should point out that the discussion doesn't focus solely on WoE and cheaters in WoE (IE autopot). If the thread turns in that direction, it'll just turn into another finger pointing thread which the GMs will yet again, ignore or close due to "drama." And this would make the well, thought out arguments the OP made pointless when all aspects of what was stated needs focused on.

Just my two cents. Carry on.

Mine isn't directed at anybody individually. I've played with all major guilds at once if not for more and have fought against every guild. But lets not beat around the bush in woe, every guild has had some for of "dirty" in it at one point or another. Some more then others, but that is neither here nor there.

People also use autopot in pvm and mvp. The people that use it can, theoretically, mob better then others. Or not get carpel tunnel.

I think to get everybody on the same playing field so that a few individuals (or more), don't have such a large advantage in woe/pvm/mvp.

#12 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

I just hope people realize that a lot of my words are directed community way too.

It's a two way problem.

#13 TheQuietStorm

TheQuietStorm

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
  • Server:chaos>ymir>chaos

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:12 PM

i feel so noob now, and too honest even in this game.. . i play since beta and i never felt the need to cheat in this game.. but yeah, its frustrating reporting "players"  and nothing gets done about it.   

also, wanted to say that i read your words.. lots of words ;) 

#14 Mischelle

Mischelle

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

pre - post, cat on fire

Edited by Mischelle, 18 August 2014 - 05:59 PM.

#15 Jenna

Jenna

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

I hope this doesn't turn into a 3 years ago this happened... debate.

I guess I have to reassess what I say and think about since I do cling on to the past quite alot... but I guess I would rather see progress moving forward than to spiral into the "years ago this happened" and would like to know things that have happened this past year and the changes that are going with it.

#16 Ramen

Ramen

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1990 posts
  • LocationEientei
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:28 PM

TL;DR

There are good honest players in this game.  The worst thing I've ever done is portal cast hide and stalk, which apparently isn't even "cheating".  I've noticed that I've grown to enjoy the game more since I stopped doing WoE.  It pays to relax and just have fun making really crazy build characters.

#17 ElenaGilbert

ElenaGilbert

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1186 posts
  • LocationAUSTRALIA , QLD!!

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

tl dr: the staff doesn't listen to the community. They are turning classic into odaRO for awhile now with so much changes that are not necesary. (God item quest/aca/bio3 spawns/ airship quest and etc).  Ive sent tickets before regarding nodelay in the past and nothing ever gets done. So i start doing it myself and finally banned me for it and i thought finally the gm has step up and listen. So i made a new sniper and play legit for one woe and i get banned the next day. Ive sent in tickets but no surprise they dnt care or want to have a look at the videos i have made to prove i wasnt nodelaying and just close my ticket. -_- 

#18 Tribe

Tribe

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 728 posts
  • Server:Freya

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

But, that’s only a part of the whole situation. How about these people that have multiple magical MVP cards? People who don’t ...even... play...? Or even god items. It’s not only RMT but duping as well. Many of these people have been reported many times over a huge time span. Nothing happens. These people are chronic, repeat RMTers and dupers. Why is nothing ever done?

The mvp card creating from thin air and duping almost made me quit last night... Found out that someone had a card from a mvp that we have had on almost 100% lock down. Just to have someone RMT one from redacted Go ahead and pull your logs and tell me when they got it... I have over 25 pages of logged kills lets see if the times match up =p

Just go and look at the -_- on the site... 

#19 Mischelle

Mischelle

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

Dear Xellie,

Your godquest problems are the kind of problems that most people who used to play this game once wished they had.  Old news, but in addition your first world endgame problems - pre-iris/loki/chaos merge NO put in far more hours into okolnir than any other guild on any other server up to the merge, and we lost all of that work, period.

You mention several seperate complaints, and they fall into two categories which can be seperated by the root cause of each complaint.

The first category encompasses all of the feelings that "the staff doesn't listen".  Yes.  That is correct.  They do not listen.  Also, they do not care.  This isn't because the staff are inhuman monsters, but because they are just human.  If the staff listened to every comment, and took it upon themselves to care about various ideas, it would destroy them as human beings.  Almost every idea is one that simply cannot be implemented, whether the root reason for that is hardware, software, financial, legal, or otherwise.  And for the few ideas that might work, implementing them is like putting newspaper over an open manhole.  If you expect some change or some fix to come to the game and make it better, you have a long history of patches starting from the addition of 2-2 to see how the game improves.

The other category is all of the ideas everyone has, but never see implemented because... the game is flawed at the code level.  This doesn't just relate to glitches and exploits, but game mechanics themselves.  God items, like megs, expand weight tickets, or kafra cards, were never meant to exist in RO.  I'll address the latter two later.  The original game mechanics allowed for massive damage, or instant cast only because the formulas relating them technically allowed it, but the game was always balanced around players never being able to near those numbers.  That is to say, absolutely zero players being able to reach those numbers, not a select few lucky and/or dedicated players, not a GM favorite, not anyone.  The hammer you wear (on classic) is cheating the game far more than any 3rd party program could.  Being transcendent with your 76 bonus stat points is cheating the game.

To really, truly, properly implement any idea, at this point, the whole thing needs to be taken back to formula.  You already got that with renewal, and all renewal ended up being was a rewriting of the game to justify the existence of all of the broken -_- already in the game, with the addition of newer, shinier -_- to distract you from that fact.

I want to ignore renewal, but I can't.  To me, renewal could have been one of two good options. It could have been a back to code rewrite of the game, or it could have been a mega-update/best-as-possible-bugfix still using the same mechanics.  In the former, everything wipes, players lose accumulated gear and either quit or don't but you have a better game which has appeal to new players.  In the latter, you hold onto your devoted playerbase, and you might pick up a few new players here and there who get into the scene.  Renewal was both and had none of the advantages of either.

So Xellie, 1. the staff in fact does not listen because 2. there isn't anything they could do about it.

You admit you've seen how GM favoritism can play on chaos, so why would any of your god quest problems even register as out of the ordinary?  Or even unique enough to merit a post?  This game is so old you can now say "same -_-, different decade".

And all the glitches, exploits, bots, and bugs?  All the suggestions that get passed over?  Why if I didn't know better I would say that somebody could take the mechanics they like, plus all of the community's proposals, and basically program a game themselves.  Supposedly there are hordes of people out there looking for an updated and better version of this game.  It smells like a business opportunity to me.

Otherwise, you are playing a game in which people who weren't even sperm at the time of it's release now run around with 100% endgame gear.  How much innovation can you expect from a game like that?

Well, I guess we know what kind to expect...

p.s. Expand weight tickets are one of the most game breaking items available.  This is because one key game balance mechanic is weight limit, specicially when it comes to PvP, and relating specifically to potion usage.  Complaining about autopot is pointless because the original mechanic of healing was that your HP bar is not just it's maximum value, but that plus the total healing value of all the consumables you could carry.  That a program can spam the pots for you is a moot point, because potion spam was the intention anyway.  Autopot is cheating, but the reason it is a problem is because expand weight limit quadruples potion capacity in some cases, and kafra tickets, to a lesser extent, allow for basically unlimited HP.

#20 Jenna

Jenna

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:04 PM

^ "The hammer you wear (on classic) is cheating the game far more than any 3rd party program could"

I know this is one sentence out of your tl;dr but <eye roll>

NO.

#21 Mischelle

Mischelle

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

Depending on the type of 3rd party program, I am not incorrect.  An AI bot can only do the things you can do to a game.  Yes, it can do them faster, and it can do them repeatedly without ever getting tired, but it cannot break mechanics.  +40 dex allows the player to break the cast time mechanic originally designed into the game.

Of couse, some 3rd party programs do things you can't.  Such as targetting invisible characters.  Oddly enough, it can also target characters stacked on top of your other sprites, which given the state of WoE, sounds like a very desirable feature.  Bypassing delay doesn't count as a 3rd party program because it isn't, just an exploit of the game's reliance of the software on the player side to ensure rules are enforced.  Which, incidentally, is one example of the reason the game needs to go back to code.

Edited by Mischelle, 18 August 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#22 iamvrypwrful

iamvrypwrful

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1245 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:19 PM

I wish people's forum accounts were linked to their in game accounts so I knew who everyone was  :rice:

#23 ElenaGilbert

ElenaGilbert

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1186 posts
  • LocationAUSTRALIA , QLD!!

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:19 PM

Dear Xellie,

Your godquest problems are the kind of problems that most people who used to play this game once wished they had.  Old news, but in addition your first world endgame problems - pre-iris/loki/chaos merge NO put in far more hours into okolnir than any other guild on any other server up to the merge, and we lost all of that work, period.

You mention several seperate complaints, and they fall into two categories which can be seperated by the root cause of each complaint.

The first category encompasses all of the feelings that "the staff doesn't listen".  Yes.  That is correct.  They do not listen.  Also, they do not care.  This isn't because the staff are inhuman monsters, but because they are just human.  If the staff listened to every comment, and took it upon themselves to care about various ideas, it would destroy them as human beings.  Almost every idea is one that simply cannot be implemented, whether the root reason for that is hardware, software, financial, legal, or otherwise.  And for the few ideas that might work, implementing them is like putting newspaper over an open manhole.  If you expect some change or some fix to come to the game and make it better, you have a long history of patches starting from the addition of 2-2 to see how the game improves.

The other category is all of the ideas everyone has, but never see implemented because... the game is flawed at the code level.  This doesn't just relate to glitches and exploits, but game mechanics themselves.  God items, like megs, expand weight tickets, or kafra cards, were never meant to exist in RO.  I'll address the latter two later.  The original game mechanics allowed for massive damage, or instant cast only because the formulas relating them technically allowed it, but the game was always balanced around players never being able to near those numbers.  That is to say, absolutely zero players being able to reach those numbers, not a select few lucky and/or dedicated players, not a GM favorite, not anyone.  The hammer you wear (on classic) is cheating the game far more than any 3rd party program could.  Being transcendent with your 76 bonus stat points is cheating the game.

To really, truly, properly implement any idea, at this point, the whole thing needs to be taken back to formula.  You already got that with renewal, and all renewal ended up being was a rewriting of the game to justify the existence of all of the broken -_- already in the game, with the addition of newer, shinier -_- to distract you from that fact.

I want to ignore renewal, but I can't.  To me, renewal could have been one of two good options. It could have been a back to code rewrite of the game, or it could have been a mega-update/best-as-possible-bugfix still using the same mechanics.  In the former, everything wipes, players lose accumulated gear and either quit or don't but you have a better game which has appeal to new players.  In the latter, you hold onto your devoted playerbase, and you might pick up a few new players here and there who get into the scene.  Renewal was both and had none of the advantages of either.

So Xellie, 1. the staff in fact does not listen because 2. there isn't anything they could do about it.

You admit you've seen how GM favoritism can play on chaos, so why would any of your god quest problems even register as out of the ordinary?  Or even unique enough to merit a post?  This game is so old you can now say "same -_-, different decade".

And all the glitches, exploits, bots, and bugs?  All the suggestions that get passed over?  Why if I didn't know better I would say that somebody could take the mechanics they like, plus all of the community's proposals, and basically program a game themselves.  Supposedly there are hordes of people out there looking for an updated and better version of this game.  It smells like a business opportunity to me.

Otherwise, you are playing a game in which people who weren't even sperm at the time of it's release now run around with 100% endgame gear.  How much innovation can you expect from a game like that?

Well, I guess we know what kind to expect...

p.s. Expand weight tickets are one of the most game breaking items available.  This is because one key game balance mechanic is weight limit, specicially when it comes to PvP, and relating specifically to potion usage.  Complaining about autopot is pointless because the original mechanic of healing was that your HP bar is not just it's maximum value, but that plus the total healing value of all the consumables you could carry.  That a program can spam the pots for you is a moot point, because potion spam was the intention anyway.  Autopot is cheating, but the reason it is a problem is because expand weight limit quadruples potion capacity in some cases, and kafra tickets, to a lesser extent, allow for basically unlimited HP.

Wtf r u talkn about?

#24 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

Mischelle, the kind of problems you speak of are half a decade past. 3pp has gone well past breaking the game beyond any gears ability.

#25 iamvrypwrful

iamvrypwrful

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1245 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

The main problem with classic is obviously the population. RO thrives off having a solid population since it's exponentially demotivating to do anything if no one is playing the server. I pretty much have not done any pvm since the first half of 2ez (except for some GSB hunting and countless hours of potting). 

There's absolutely zero benefit or incentive for new players to start playing iro classic when compared to other RO servers or other games (I wouldn't).

-

Unrelated: Reduce both SE and FE to 3-5 castles each and make the rewards 20x better; let's make things interesting  :heh:

Honestly though, getting a castle nowadays isn't rewarding at all. GVG is, and can be fun, but it doesn't keep a server alive. 

Edited by iamvrypwrful, 18 August 2014 - 06:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users