Ragnarok For Chrome OS? - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Ragnarok For Chrome OS?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 terence1

terence1

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • LocationINDIA
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:01 PM

Hi,

I just received a Chromebook instead of the normal Laptop at work, I Wanted to know whether i can use it to play RO?

Or the technicality changes? 

#2 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:43 AM

No, you can't. (If I were being rude, I'd say something like "Ragnarok Online requires a computer" - I have a rather low opinion of ChromeOS. 

Best you could do is run a remote access program and connect to your home computer running RO. 

#3 terence1

terence1

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • LocationINDIA
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:38 AM

Ahh Ok! Remote Access u say.. That sounds intersting..

#4 Killcycler

Killcycler

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:21 AM

Hes referring to remote desktop, steam streaming, or nvidia shield... Steam streaming would probably be the most common method of doing this though it requires windows/linux/osx where chrome is ...fisher price linux?

You can't really game over remote desktop with traditional 3d programs as it uses its own software based driver instead of hardware no matter what you have, but there seems to be a quirk with this game as well as another game "Shadowgate" where if you start the game on the server and connect with your client it continues to function normally.

Its very easy to set up on a local level and if you're familiar with firewall rules and possibly have a static IP block remotely as in off site works quite well too. Else you might consider a DUC client in place of statics.

This is how I've been playing ragnarok on my android tablet and NOT the valkyrie rising crud ball.. I believe chromeOS has a remote desktop client sort of built into it though i haven't investigated this though any solution also requires a secondary computer available.

Ive also read that you can install ubuntu on samsung? chrome books i think that would be another way to go about it though those machines really don't have any juice so you may only get so far with this.

Im also in the process of testing RemoteFX for gaming over remote desktop. Supposedly this allows you to select a hardware based video card for rendering and dedicate that to the Hyper-V client. Which from testing work using RDP.

The only reason i have not installed this server role yet is because i found quite a few posts in regards to installing remotefx actually causes pretty severe overall performance loss while gaming using windows server 2012 even while inactive. Though i haven't found any information in regards to dedicating a secondary GPU to this which i currently have available and running...

Steam streaming seems to work fine, but i like a little challenge and the fun part is playing games that otherwise should not be running on a tablet from a remote location ;)

#5 jacoslide

jacoslide

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:50 AM

Eh. its just like the last guy said but dual boot it so you can use ubuntu touch at same time and doing so you can get wine and run ragnarok via wine from ubuntu ive tested it on my own chrome book have fun :3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users