Latency: packet routing related(tracert included) - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Latency: packet routing related(tracert included)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 asperatus

asperatus

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 715 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:chaos

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:37 AM

Hi
Some time ago I found out about software like wtfast and pingzapper. I was sceptic, but in my case they reduce ping tremedeusly :p_omg:
So I thought that maybe I can improve things without relying on 3rd party software like this. I did 2 trace routes: one with pingzapper on, and one off, simply launching ragnarok.

This is route when I launch ragnarok through pingzapper vpns

Spoiler

And this is how it looks like when I have pingzapper turned off
Spoiler

Difference of 70ms is no laughing matter. :p_swt: Any suggestions on what to do?

Edited by asperatus, 08 April 2015 - 02:38 AM.

#2 renouille

renouille

Too Legit To Quit

• Public Security Section 9
  • 2448 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Server:retired

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:48 AM

11   122 ms   125 ms   121 ms  xe-3-0-1.iad1-cr1.twttr.com [199.16.159.127]
 12   129 ms   121 ms   122 ms  xe-0-1-1.iad1-cr2.twttr.com [199.16.159.57]
 13   388 ms   142 ms   158 ms  ae53.atl1-er1.net.twttr.net [199.16.159.75]
 14   138 ms   139 ms   136 ms  199.16.156.120

First traceroute isn't RO.

#3 asperatus

asperatus

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:54 AM

First traceroute isn't RO.

After launching pingzapper and using netstat command RO leads to IP of 127.0.0.1
I thought I'll use tracert command using pingzapper IP instead
If i picked wrong IP, then I'm out of ideas. I have literally only those 2 applications listed after using netstat command

#4 Killcycler

Killcycler

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:03 AM

Im going to refer to Pingzapper as a VPN just by the description of the service.

Ive never actually seen a VPN and wouldn't expect it to EVER reduce latency, but i wouldn't be shocked if maybe you were being tricked as in what you're looking at in your first trace route is only the connection from your comptuter to your vpn host. All traffic beyond the host is often done on their level and not seen by your traceroute hence why it seem likes it would be faster.

Basically without that your connection looks like this:

home--8 hops-->RO

with it:

home--8 hops-->VPN>--8 additional hops-->RO

(invisible to you)

Your VPN is giving you the address 127.0.0.1 which is localhost (LOCAL!!!!) and your end is being fooled into thinking this is RO when it isn't and not only that the "Reduced latency" your seeing is merely the connection to the VPN which....yes, would most likely be faster, but the 8 other hops you're not seeing result in almost twice the latency then just connecting directly.

The only time a service like this will benefit you is if you're trying to trick a server into thinking you have typical HSI pings (30ms) when you actually have dial-up/satellite (200ms+) so that you can play the game when they have a latency cap. Though you'll still die in say battlefield for example because your reaction isn't going to be as fast as the server thinks you can react.

EDIT: i forgot to mention i traced the above xe-3-0-1.iad1-cr1.twttr.com [199.16.159.127] to Dyn.com which has the alias dinect.net....This is definatley a part of your pingzapper VPN

Edited by Killcycler, 08 April 2015 - 11:07 AM.

#5 asperatus

asperatus

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:28 PM

Well, it has some effect. Big enough to be noticeable, mostly in character movement(character is not stuttering like usual) and during fights(game doesnt "cough" damage numbers in chunks, faster updates on character position after being hit by monster during movement)

Is it caused by pingzapper? No idea. There is no difference in , for example, path of exile when I switch it on/off and check latencu with in-game tools. So it may be placebo effect :p_sad:

#6 Killcycler

Killcycler

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:53 PM

Im guessing that would be because the connection to the VPN from RO is a relatively short distance/fast and the VPN relays this to you in a decent fashion so your client doesn't hiccup quite like your used to.

It also looks like it might be going around a small degree of packet loss at the end of the link:

9     *        *        *     Upłynął limit czasu żądania.

10     *        *        *     Upłynął limit czasu żądania.

...​You're in poland?

#7 asperatus

asperatus

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:34 AM

You're in poland?

Yup

Tried to launch game with different VPNs but unfortunately, RO doesn't let me(play button doesnt appear, I get "failed to connect to server" or "disconnected from server" messages)

#8 Tribe

Tribe

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 728 posts
  • Server:Freya

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:36 AM

Any suggestions on what to do?

Keep using Pingzapper! Also get some friends to use it and abuse the refer a friend system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users