Game/Server Optimization. - Proposals & Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Game/Server Optimization.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TheRealCaNehDa

TheRealCaNehDa

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1140 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:47 AM

This topic is kind of more of a learning curve for me, than it is an actual suggestion, the main suggesting is requesting for faster data-transfer speeds.

Surely there are companies that are the frontiers of computing speed/power houses, such as <names redacted> --- 
In the world of companies, it's always nice to have, super duper fast computing powers, and super duper fast internet, ect. -- where as also safe backing up methods to ensure that corrupted drives, or burnt out drives are saved, by using RAID set ups, or whatever have you. 

Now, I'm not the most computer tech savy guy around, but I was wonder what the possibility of setting up the server computers to have 5TB SLIe SSD drives @ 5GB/s , to make everything, well, faster...

--was also wondering the possibility of networking multiple computers together to create a powerhouse of computing powers... in order to for one - back up data among each other computers, and other things... 

I'm not trying to say the current set up they have is slow or anything... *cough cough* --- Just saying... idk. 

Let this topic be a discussion on those that knows things about servers and, power house server configurations, as I am not quite well aware in the world of servers and stuff, and if anyone has more experience than my no experience, on what super duper fast set ups look like  - I'd be glad to know 

#2 SlowBob

SlowBob

Raider Representative

• Members
  • 1718 posts
  • Playing:ROSE Online
  • Server:Leonis

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:21 AM

This topic is kind of more of a learning curve for me, than it is an actual suggestion, the main suggesting is requesting for faster data-transfer speeds.

Surely there are companies that are the frontiers of computing speed/power houses, such as <names redacted> --- 
In the world of companies, it's always nice to have, super duper fast computing powers, and super duper fast internet, ect. -- where as also safe backing up methods to ensure that corrupted drives, or burnt out drives are saved, by using RAID set ups, or whatever have you. 

Now, I'm not the most computer tech savy guy around, but I was wonder what the possibility of setting up the server computers to have 5TB SLIe SSD drives @ 5GB/s , to make everything, well, faster...

--was also wondering the possibility of networking multiple computers together to create a powerhouse of computing powers... in order to for one - back up data among each other computers, and other things... 

I'm not trying to say the current set up they have is slow or anything... *cough cough* --- Just saying... idk. 

Let this topic be a discussion on those that knows things about servers and, power house server configurations, as I am not quite well aware in the world of servers and stuff, and if anyone has more experience than my no experience, on what super duper fast set ups look like  - I'd be glad to know 

1) Why would they need 5TB ssds? I doubt that the access speed on their hdds is their bottleneck (during runtime).

Could it make things faster? - yes

Would the price/performance ratio make it worth to consider? -i don't think so.

2)your multiple-computer idea is called "computer cluster"

while it got quite a few pros there are some cons too - and if they'd have the money to gear up like that, they'd most likely update their current hardware. (or employ another programmer to optimize their code)

Without knowing their hardware and bottlenecks this whole discussion is pretty much pointless, beside that there's something called budget. Sure we could dream about an overpowered server farm - but that wouldn't really help - Don't you think so?

Edited by SlowBob, 08 May 2015 - 09:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users