#1 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:37 PM

Since I designed the Bounty Boards to comfortably take players from level 1-160, another quest-leveling system was needed for players after 160 (since kRO isn't giving us 160-175 content anytime soon). These series of quests is based on a combination of ShinobiEX3's idea and Tamago's proposal. Development on these quests are planned to begin after the Bounty Boards project is done.

Story
Zachariah (4W_M_02) and Cirrus (1_M_YOUNGKNIGHT) are two Knights that recently escaped from Regenschrim Laboratory after being held there for an undetermined amount of time as test subjects. Back under the protection of the Rune-Midgarts Kingdom, the two Knights have decided to start up an odd jobs enterprise to help adventurers in the kingdom get by. (And maybe spread word about Schwarzwald's unsavory side.)

Fair and Strife LLC

Zachariah and Cirrus have taken over an abandoned warehouse in Alberta (alberta 46, 165) to start up their odd jobs business. (Zachariah came up with the name "Fair and Strife LLC" for their company because he felt it sounded right for them.) Talking to Zachariah would give you job class-specific quests while Cirrus would give out quests for base level 160+.

These quests would be designed much differently from the Bounty Boards in that they are aimed at builds that are severely gimped in terms of leveling. These would also reward money, EXP, and EMBs.

Edited by ZeroTigress, 14 July 2015 - 09:50 PM.

#2 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:49 AM

Dialogue preview:

(click on Zachariah to start the prologue quest)

Zachariah:
What's up?

Option Box:
[Who are you?]

Zachariah:
Name's Zachariah, Knight of the Prontera Order. Me and my buddy Cirrus here have started up an odd jobs enterprise to help out those in need of some good money. Times have gotten hard in the kingdom so we wanted to do something about it.

Zachariah:
Of course, these are well-paying jobs so I'll need to check out your resume to see if you're suited for the work. Don't want to hire someone on if they're going to get killed so easily. You understand, don't ya?

(Cirrus activates /shy emote in response.)

Zachariah:
Anyway, here's an application for you to fill out if you think you're cut out for it. And, uh, make sure you initial that little bit about us not being responsible for loss of limbs and stuff like that.

(prompt player to enter their character name in a pop-up box)

Zachariah:
Let's see. Your name is <char name>. Resume looks good so looks like you check out. I'll just add you to our payroll here...

Zachariah:
Okay, you're all set. Welcome to Fair and Strife LLC, new hire! Talk to me if you want specific jobs or you can chat with Cirrus about general work.

#3 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:57 AM

Odd jobs system must have GinTama characters.

#4 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:51 AM

I've already got ideas in mind for full-support Priest classes and a Clock Tower Nightmare quest, but I would like feedback on job classes that have trouble leveling.

#5 WiseFabre

WiseFabre

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 214 posts
  • Server:Orleans

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:40 PM

They'll need a connection to the Eden Group storyline in order to justify having EMB to hand out. 

#6 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:53 PM

They'll need a connection to the Eden Group storyline in order to justify having EMB to hand out.

Bounty Boards give out EMBs and there's no story connection there.

#7 Franchu1991

Franchu1991

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationSpain
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Taking a break

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:58 PM

We don't have any background info on BB, so might as well be something else Gramps designed to get rid of those pests.

Quests for performers, please. Also for support Sorc and RG.

iRO needs more treasure rooms on its instances, much like the one in OGH. Do you think you can implement this in your quests? Like they reward you a Thanatos Key, and you go to some random spot in Thanatos tower to get an item, or zeny.

#8 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:38 PM

The story of the Bounty Boards is that they're bulletin board requests placed by town citizens to help curb the local monster populations that have mysteriously exploded out of nowhere. Wasn't going to reveal the story until the project was finished, but might as well since who knows when the iRO team will stop stalling it.

I'm in the process of coming up with special quests that reward EXP to non-combative builds such as full-support Priest classes and crafters. These will be available through the Zachariah NPC while the Nightmare kill quests would be available from the Cirrus NPC. Obviously the Cirrus quests will be implemented first since they're simpler quests, but the Zachariah quests will take some time to get implemented.

#9 spikexp

spikexp

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 2181 posts
  • Server:Chaotic

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:25 AM

Awww. I'd do anything for Zach to help my Baby SN and Kagero from 150 thru 160 too :(

Please? :3

#10 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:19 PM

Here's an idea I'm bouncing around for the Alchemist-specific quest:

Upon accepting the Alchemist job quest, Alchemist players will be teleported to a separate room (presumably inside the warehouse) where they will meet with a man name Seltzer (4_M_4THPRIN1). The room will be instanced to prevent other players from helping out. There should be a check to make sure the player is an Alchemist class so other job classes can't take the job.

Seltzer:
Ah, so you're the new-hire that Zachariah brought on. Welcome. As you can tell from the state of this humble room, we're not exactly a very profitable enterprise. That's why we're interested in employees from all walks of life.

Seltzer:
Huh? Where do we get the money to help pay those on our payroll? Well, it's quite simple. We sell your wares to the open market and give you a share of the profits. In fact, I'm the broker for the company itself. Not quite the glamorous job I was looking for, but it helps pay the bills.

Seltzer:
By the way, you have to craft ALL potions for the company here in the warehouse. We're kind of big on quality control and prefer to supervise the brewing process. That's not going to be a problem, is it?

Seltzer:
Okay, let's get down to business. I want you to craft a few potions for me. Hope you got everything you need because we don't really have anything in stock here. Your people are supposed to be walking laboratories anyhow, right?

EDIT: The player will then be prompted to pick between 3 tiers of potions. Once chosen, Seltzer will randomize which potion each player will be assigned to do. Each request will require a quantity of 10. Ideally, the NPC would check the player's inventory and wagon for existing potions so only new potions will count for the quest (not sure if possible). If it's not possible, then the player would have to turn in the crafted items to the NPC. The Alchemist player would receive money and EXP upon confirmation of the items.

Thanks to feedback, the EXP reward should scale to the value of the ingredients involved.

Tier 1
Red Potion
Yellow Potion
White Potion
Blue Potion
Condensed Red Potion
Condensed Yellow Potion
Condensed White Potion

Tier 2
Anodyne
Aloe Vera
Alcohol
Glistening Coat
Plant Bottle
Bottle Grenade
Acid Bottle
Marine Sphere
Coldproof Potion
Thunderproof Potion
Earthproof Potion
Fireproof Potion

Tier 3
Enriched White PotionZ
Vitata500
Enrich Celermine Juice
Cure Free
Increase HP Potion (Small)
Increase HP Potion (Medium)
Increase HP Potion (Large)
Increase SP Potion (Small)
Increase SP Potion (Medium)
Increase SP Potion (Large)

Once the quest is completed, a 1-hour cooldown will commence. In order to leave the room, the player would have to talk to Seltzer to get teleported out.

Seltzer:
What's up?

Option Box:
[I can't find my way out.]

Seltzer:
Yeah, this warehouse is a little tricky to figure out. I'll show you the way.

If the player decides to quit the quest, he/she simply needs to talk to Seltzer.

Seltzer:
What's up?

Option Box:
[I can't do it.]

Seltzer:
You don't think you can do the job? I guess being supervised while working is a bit unnerving for some people. Try going outside for about an hour and see if that'll calm your nerves. I'll pass your assignment on to someone else in the meantime.

Yes, if you quit the quest, you'll still have to wait 1 hour before you can do it again.

Edited by ZeroTigress, 09 July 2015 - 03:44 PM.

#11 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:49 PM

The Blacksmith-specific quest would be pretty similar to the Alchemist-specific quest:

Upon accepting the Blacksmith job quest, Blacksmith players will be teleported to a separate room (presumably inside the warehouse) where they will meet with a man name Cid (1_M_LIBRARYMASTER). The room will be instanced to prevent other players from helping out. There should be a check to make sure the player is an Blacksmith class so other job classes can't take the job.

Cid:
Oh, are you the new-hire? Splendid! We've been in dire need of some good hardworking Blacksmiths.

Cid:
The kingdom has come under weapon shortages and most of the newer Blacksmiths have chosen to remain in Schwarzwald to further their study. It's nice to see some return to their roots.

Cid:
Now, about your job, all you need to do is forge weapons. Very simple. But under supervision.

Cid:
Why under supervision? Well, with all the chaos that has been going one, we at Fair and Strife LLC prefer to keep a rather tight watch on our inventory. These weapons are supposed to help supply the kingdom's army and ONLY the kingdom's army.

Cid:
So you see, we want to make sure none of our weapons get misplaced. Or stolen.

Cid:
Okay, let's get started. I want you to forge some weapons for me. Hope you got everything you need because we don't really have much in the way of forging materials. Surely as a professional Blacksmith, you should have your own tools, no?

EDIT: The player will then be prompted to pick between 3 tiers of weapons. Cid will randomize which weapon each player will be assigned to do. Each request will require a quantity of 10. Ideally, the NPC would check the player's inventory and wagon for existing weapons so only new weapons will count for the quest (not sure if possible). If it's not possible, then the player would have to turn in the crafted items to the NPC. The Blacksmith player would receive money and EXP upon confirmation of the items.

Thanks to feedback, the EXP reward should scale to the value of the ingredients involved.

Tier 1
Axe
Battle Axe
Knife
Cutter
Main Gauche
Waghnak
Club
Mace
Katana
Javelin
Spear
Pike

Tier 2
Hammer
Dirk
Dagger
Stiletto
Knuckle Dusters
Studded Knuckles
Smasher
Flail
Chain
Sword
Falchion
Blade
Rapier
Scimitar
Ring Pommel Saber
Slayer
Bastard Sword
Guisarme
Glaive
Partizan

Tier 3
Buster
Two Handed Axe
Gladius
Damascus
Fist
Finger
Claw
Morning Star
Sword Mace
Stunner
Saber
Haedonggum
Tsurugi
Flamberge
Two Handed Sword
Broad Sword
Claymore
Trident
Halberd
Lance

Once the quest is completed, a 1-hour cooldown will commence. In order to leave the room, the player would have to talk to Cid to get teleported out.

Cid:
What can I do for you?

Option Box:
[I can't find my way out.]

Cid:
Yeah, this warehouse is a little tricky to figure out. I'll show you the way.

If the player decides to quit the quest, he/she simply needs to talk to Cid.

Cid:
What can I do for you?

Option Box:
[I can't do it.]

Cid:
Can't take the heat? That's understandable. It's hard to forge in a place without windows. Take a 1-hour break to cool down. I'll pass your assignment on to someone else instead.

Again, if you quit the quest, you'll have to wait 1 hour before you can do it again.

Edited by ZeroTigress, 09 July 2015 - 03:54 PM.

#12 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Midwest
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:45 AM

the exp reward should be based on the weapon level since the difficulty goes up depending on the level.  It would require a astronomical amount of supplies to craft 10 level 3 weapons, not much better for level 1 or 2 either.  Can the blacksmith bring help with them to the quest room?  Forging success is crap especially without buffs and marionette control.

#13 1392140604170018137

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:04 AM

Any alchemist or blacksmith quest for non crafters? Not many people have pot alchemists and even fewer are forgers.

#14 spikexp

spikexp

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 2181 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:08 PM

Any alchemist or blacksmith quest for non crafters? Not many people have pot alchemists and even fewer are forgers.

Talking to Zachariah would give you job class-specific quests while Cirrus would give out quests for base level 160+.

Simply you don't have to do the class-specific if you can't.

#15 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:06 PM

the exp reward should be based on the weapon level since the difficulty goes up depending on the level.  It would require a astronomical amount of supplies to craft 10 level 3 weapons, not much better for level 1 or 2 either.  Can the blacksmith bring help with them to the quest room?  Forging success is crap especially without buffs and marionette control.

So should I separate the weapons by tiers and have the EXP scale accordingly? What would be good EXP rewards for each tier?

The thing with allowing people in to help out is that the quest should cancel if someone tries to leave the room so no one can go buy the crafted items from someone else once they know what the NPC requests for. The quests are meant to be comparable to how other MMORPGs reward EXP to crafters for crafting their wares, so I'm trying to make it so they're not like item turn-in quests.

#16 1392140604170018137

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:23 PM

Simply you don't have to do the class-specific if you can't.

Seems like you're going through a lot of work to create an in depth quest system that only a handful of people would ever do. How many crafters are there in game? No one really forges anymore. You'll get more potters but no one seriously levels any of those classes from scratch. They'd just reset at the max level. Gone are the pre re days when you only got one reset ever via trans and one misallocated stat point ruined builds.

#17 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:35 PM

Seems like you're going through a lot of work to create an in depth quest system that only a handful of people would ever do. How many crafters are there in game? No one really forges anymore. You'll get more potters but no one seriously levels any of those classes from scratch. They'd just reset at the max level. Gone are the pre re days when you only got one reset ever via trans and one misallocated stat point ruined builds.

I already made Bounty Boards for combative classes, don't see why I should make more quests for those players. These are supposed to cover builds that can't do Bounty Boards. Sorry if I don't discriminate against the minority like the rest of the game does.

#18 spikexp

spikexp

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 2181 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:11 PM

So should I separate the weapons by tiers and have the EXP scale accordingly? What would be good EXP rewards for each tier?

The thing with allowing people in to help out is that the quest should cancel if someone tries to leave the room so no one can go buy the crafted items from someone else once they know what the NPC requests for. The quests are meant to be comparable to how other MMORPGs reward EXP to crafters for crafting their wares, so I'm trying to make it so they're not like item turn-in quests.

I've no clue about alchs but forgers at 160/50 have quite comparable rate to a 99/70. EXP should be scaled to the weapon mats cost.

Another way is to check the item's name. If it contains forger's name, then it will be flagged as a valid craft. If... there is a way to do that. I'm not sure.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to read that part about checking weapons.

They should be able to check any existing weapons by looking up thru the IDs (not sure tho). If they can't go out to fetch the mats, then you should put a NPC that sells some of the mats to reduce excessive weight. Ori hammer, buyable gemstones, etc. While things like Steels and Ori should've been prepared from the start by the forger.

Edited by spikexp, 09 July 2015 - 02:20 PM.

#19 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Midwest
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:21 PM

Splitting up the tiers would be a good idea.

Now, I'm not sure of programming limitations, but you could make it so that the npc only accepts forged items with your name.

#20 1392140604170018137

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:28 PM

I already made Bounty Boards for combative classes, don't see why I should make more quests for those players. These are supposed to cover builds that can't do Bounty Boards. Sorry if I don't discriminate against the minority like the rest of the game does.

My point is not that many people would actually be leveling up this way. No need to apologize to me you haven't wronged me in any way.

#21 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:32 PM

There is an odd jobs system in mora already btw :o

#22 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:46 PM

I've no clue about alchs but forgers at 160/50 have quite comparable rate to a 99/70. EXP should be scaled to the weapon mats cost.

Also with the same method people can hoard some amount of ALL weapons that are on the list, and simply just turn it w/e requested.

Another way is to check the item's name. If it contains char_name's name, then it will be flagged as a valid craft. If... there is a way to do that. I'm not sure.

I was told that crafted items are indistinguishable from the non-crafted version (since crafted Alcohol can be used in quests that just ask for regular Alcohol).

There should be flags in place to detect successful crafts since the system knows to only give you the item if you rolled a success. Alternatively, it'd be great if the NPC could be scripted to screen inventories and wagons and then compare the new quantities when turning in.

My point is not that many people would actually be leveling up this way. No need to apologize to me you haven't wronged me in any way.

But the fact remains that there are people who would be interested in something like this so why not?

There is an odd jobs system in mora already btw :o

But not in Rune-Midgarts. :U

#23 1392140604170018137

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:05 PM

Also there need to be more bounty board options for 160+ but I'm sure you're aware of that. Thanks!

#24 spikexp

spikexp

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 2181 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

I was told that crafted items are indistinguishable from the non-crafted version (since crafted Alcohol can be used in quests that just ask for regular Alcohol).

Now that you mention it, the 4th of July NPC that asked for Alcohol accepts a handmade Alcohol.

There should be flags in place to detect successful crafts since the system knows to only give you the item if you rolled a success. Alternatively, it'd be great if the NPC could be scripted to screen inventories and wagons and then compare the new quantities when turning in.

Idk about cart but I think they should be able to make the NPC to compare the first amount (should be less than one) and the successful attempts.

Why don't you give the option for players to craft w/e they can with less EXP reward? This way people could take the ez shortcut by stocking enough Steel/Ori and just choose to craft Broadsword, 2HSword, or Halberd :v A 130 DEX/LUK trans Mech would only have 17 STR at 160, which only give them 8310 weight even with 10 Gym Passes (plus 8000 from the cart). With the sheer rate of crafting, getting 10 of each would require an amount of mats. I'm talking about VVVS/VVS Ele tho :P Maybe give another credit for those who can craft VVVS/VVS Ele if it's possible to distinguish them between the normal ones.

#25 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:13 PM

Idk about cart but I think they should be able to make the NPC to compare the first amount (should be less than one) and the successful attempts.

Why don't you give the option for players to craft w/e they can with less EXP reward? This way people could take the ez shortcut by stocking enough Steel/Ori and just choose to craft Broadsword, 2HSword, or Halberd :v A 130 DEX/LUK trans Mech would only have 17 STR at 160, which only give them 8310 weight even with 10 Gym Passes (plus 8000 from the cart). With the sheer rate of crafting, getting 10 of each would require an amount of mats. I'm talking about VVVS/VVS Ele tho :P Maybe give another credit for those who can craft VVVS/VVS Ele if it's possible to distinguish them between the normal ones.

Well the problem is the 1-hour cooldown between repeats. Getting a bigger chunk of EXP for turning in a quantity of 10 seems more reasonable than getting EXP for 1 item every hour. The cooldown was suggested in case kRO is unable to have the script detect successes and have the quests be watered down to item turn-ins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users