Hi i would like some help to solve some doubts - Mage Class - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* - - - - 2 votes

Hi i would like some help to solve some doubts

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

#1 Zherot

Zherot

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:09 PM

Hi, its been a while since i last touched RO, i made a Royal guard and got kind of good equipment, i have all the hats that change your attacks to some element, fire,wind,earth and ice, also i remember i had a rideword hat and an incubus pet, dont remember what weapon i had but i believe it was the second best spear you can have.... dont remember the name but it was really good and if i remember correctly had some hydras on it and it was +9 i believe, i mean i had some good equipment but i got bored... all of that i got without spending any money just farming for hours for cards and selling them to get zenny...

Now all of the above was because for some reson i want to make a Warlock but  i dont know, leveling up to 99 dosent seem like a problem, the problem i see is when you reborn the character to make him a high wizard because you are on your way to Warlock so you have to pretty much just pick your skills according to your warlock build, now if i do that how im i supposed to level that guy with no Lord of vermilion or jupitel thunder at lvl 5 etc... i dont know seems like its going to be a pain in the ass, now i dont remember, do you get a free reset skill when you get to the Third Job or dont?, i dont really remember how in the world i leveled my Paladin... i believe i was an Agility build... but i remember he ended mobing enemies with a skill and not auto attacking at all.

Also anothe thing i was reading is that Warlock leveling skills SUCK, and that comet thing has a Cool down, so... thats another question, i read they use crimson rock but heard that skill sucks... what i liked about the Mage class was the Huge AoE damage they could pull, i really like Lord of vermilion as an example, but i dont see that the warlock has anything similar... well, comet seems to be but if it has a cool down then its pointless, i leked how you froze the enemies and then release electrick attacks and stuff, that elemental interaction was really fun but it dosent seem to be the case in warlock skills at all.

I mostly dont want to waste my time leveling a character and stuff if i already have a Royal Guard and its just better than a Warlock and since the only reason i would reinstall this game is because i want to do a mage class if Warlocks are not what High Wizards were back in the day then may as well dont even come back.

Also im not really into PVP because PVP in Ragnarok is terrible, just spamming potions all the way and whoever runs out of potions first dies, srsly?, a joke... i only liked the pve and the world, the feeling of the game.

Edited by Zherot, 17 August 2015 - 03:13 PM.

#2 alphasync

alphasync

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationLag Free server
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos-Renewal

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:14 PM

we do have an unlimited free skill resetter (hypnotist) located near the pront tool shop, as long as youre below base lvl 99

and why do you say crimson rock suck? if you mean cause crimson rock cant hit fire enemies, then freeze them using frost nova or jack frost, and you can always use reading spellbook + release on crimson rock (and comet) for instant casting if youd like. Crimson rock also has the advantage of being a single target aoe that can trigger soul drain, which is pretty usefull for getting sp back

Edited by alphasync, 17 August 2015 - 03:20 PM.

#3 Hikusaak

Hikusaak

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1384 posts
  • LocationCircle Palace, Crystal Valley, Harmonia
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:18 PM

Well,that last sentence is epic though.Straight to the truth with no lies involved :heh:
Sorcerer outmatches Warlock now,leaving Warlock's role to freeze monsters and ghost killer thanks to Soul Expansion.

Crimson Rock works wonders on earth element monsters though.

Long ass cast time and cool down of Warlock's skills are the drawbacks of that class.

#4 alphasync

alphasync

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:23 PM

Well,that last sentence is epic though.Straight to the truth with no lies involved :heh:
Sorcerer outmatches Warlock now,leaving Warlock's role to freeze monsters and ghost killer thanks to Soul Expansion.

Crimson Rock works wonders on earth element monsters though.

Long ass cast time and cool down of Warlock's skills are the drawbacks of that class.

dont forget intensification ;D

and true, the lack of ability to cycle spells fast and long cool downs are warlocks worst enemies

#5 Zherot

Zherot

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:40 PM

No i cant even know if it sucks or it dosent (crimson rock) since i never played a Warlock im just saying what i read in other threads and stuff.

So you can reset skills then?, ok, i dont remember that i only remember there was an item called Neurilizer that serve to that purpose.

Seeing the skill tree of Warlock, dosent seem to be like the old good wizard... i mean storm gust everything then LoV or Jupitel thunder etc...

#6 Hikusaak

Hikusaak

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1384 posts
  • LocationCircle Palace, Crystal Valley, Harmonia

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:15 PM

Crimson Rock is never a bad thing.It is the main AoE killing skill considering its decent damage and Soul Drain works with it.

SG is still good as your water damaging skill.Jack Frost is there only for mass and wide freeze unless the enemies are inflicted with freezing status beforehand.

#7 Zherot

Zherot

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:12 AM

Can someone explain to me the Comet mechanics?, i mean i know it has a long ass Cool Down but i have read that you can use it with the reading spell book and release and dont trigger cool downs?, i dont understand the mechanics of reading and release either if someone can explain those please too i would be grateful.

Also i have seen that some Warlock builds dont even put Dex on them, which maybe its for the fact that they use the reading spell stuff?, i dont understand.

#8 indigensDeo

indigensDeo

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • Server:slightly Ok THOR

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:44 AM

its true reading spell book allows you to store spells like comet and tetra and releasing it doesn't trigger cool downs

1) reading spell book uses "spell books" of some sort and can be bought or traded in the mage guild in geffen, while tetra vortex and comet spell books requires the ultimate spell book quest.or just buy it from people

2) Each Warlock has a number of maximum slots in which they can memorize spells and is affected by base int and the current level of the freezing spell passive skill

3) Releasing stored spells can be continuous and ignores cool downs

4) Dex for some or almost all warlock builds were set to low coz of the freakin' fixed cast time, while well geared warlocks don't put dex at all and rely on cast time reduction gears

for more info go here http://irowiki.org/w...ading_Spellbook

http://irowiki.org/wiki/Freezing_Spell

http://irowiki.org/wiki/Warlock

#9 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10855 posts
  • Server:Renew Chaos

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:55 AM

Also im not really into PVP because PVP in Ragnarok is terrible, just spamming potions all the way and whoever runs out of potions first dies, srsly?, a joke... i only liked the pve and the world, the feeling of the game.

You must be new to PvP? Its not about potting, it is about who hits who first haha

Go in again and you will see plenty of Sura and Shadow chaser and few RK haha

#10 Zherot

Zherot

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:27 AM

its true reading spell book allows you to store spells like comet and tetra and releasing it doesn't trigger cool downs

1) reading spell book uses "spell books" of some sort and can be bought or traded in the mage guild in geffen, while tetra vortex and comet spell books requires the ultimate spell book quest.or just buy it from people

2) Each Warlock has a number of maximum slots in which they can memorize spells and is affected by base int and the current level of the freezing spell passive skill

3) Releasing stored spells can be continuous and ignores cool downs

4) Dex for some or almost all warlock builds were set to low coz of the freakin' fixed cast time, while well geared warlocks don't put dex at all and rely on cast time reduction gears

for more info go here http://irowiki.org/w...ading_Spellbook

http://irowiki.org/wiki/Freezing_Spell

http://irowiki.org/wiki/Warlock

So, if i store Comet i can "spam" it with Release? if this is true then why people level with crimson rock instead of comet?, i dont think im correct in this assumption because people say they use Crimson rock.

Does releasing comet with the spell book thing consumes red gemstones still?, does the books consume per se as consumable items or you buy them only once?

Fixed cast times means you cant reduce them with dex right?, what is "cast delay"?.

Sorry for too many questions but this seems really complicated for no reason at all.

Edited by Zherot, 18 August 2015 - 09:31 AM.

#11 Zherot

Zherot

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:30 AM

You must be new to PvP? Its not about potting, it is about who hits who first haha

Actually i know that too, whoevers 1 shots you first wins, Ragnarok never was balanced in PVP this has always been like this, that, or potion spams, specially in WOEs, its a shame because WOE is a really good concept but flawed by the imbalanced core mechanics of pvp.

Edited by Zherot, 18 August 2015 - 09:31 AM.

#12 alphasync

alphasync

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:00 AM

So, if i store Comet i can "spam" it with Release? if this is true then why people level with crimson rock instead of comet?, i dont think im correct in this assumption because people say they use Crimson rock.

Does releasing comet with the spell book thing consumes red gemstones still?, does the books consume per se as consumable items or you buy them only once?

Fixed cast times means you cant reduce them with dex right?, what is "cast delay"?.

Sorry for too many questions but this seems really complicated for no reason at all.

Yes you can technically spam comet by reading (storing) and releasing it,but it will still cost 2 red gemstones. People still use crimson rock for leveling because 1) the sp is much cheaper than comet (lvl 5 CR=100 sp, lvl 5 comet=400) 2) you can get back sp with soul drain with crimson rock because its a single target aoe skill, which means it will proc soul drain (getting your sp back), while comet is a ground target aoe skill, which means it wont proc soul drain

info on cast delay : http://irowiki.org/w...elay#Cast_Delay

#13 foxySox

foxySox

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1373 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:01 AM

It goes like this with the whole reading spell book:

Read spell book -> choose spell that you have the book in your inventory -> use release when ready to cast it.

The book is not consumed, but casting comet this way does use the gemstones still. By "spamming" it, you would just continuously read it and release as you want. Although I think there's a small cool down on reading spell book? I could be wrong about that though.

Fixed cast time can only be reduced via sacrament, suffragium, or certain gears that specify it.

Cast delay (aka global cool down) is the time after a skill is cast where all your skills are unable to be used. Some gear/cards can reduce the this. Skill cool down is just the reuse time of a particular skill.

#14 ChaoticRK

ChaoticRK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3228 posts
  • Locationprt_fild08

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:05 AM

It's basically the same.

You either kill them in one go or you die potting. :heh:

#15 Zherot

Zherot

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:30 PM

Im not liking the Warlocks so far just by seeing how they work, seems to be that they are not the super Obsene damage dealer that Wizards and Hight Wizards were, also seem like they just added a bunch of useless clunky mechanics on top of them just to make them more complicated for no reason at all, then im reading that magic damage is crap in Renewal and i have been hearing that since i was playing with my RG, also i saw a bunch of videos here and there and it seems the damage of Warlocks is really lacking, hell i saw a RK dealing more damage with that Breath attack they have than a Wizard with Comet same with RG and their Over Brand, i dont understand why the hell this guys thought it was a good idea to give tanky clases OP mobing capabilities, who is gonna play the squishy caster with subpar damage?, no one, whata the benefit of that if you can just pick a tank and do great damage and survive better...

Also is aw their HP is ridiculously low, like 10-15k maybe?, i saw a sorcerer with like 25k hp WTH?, if i remember correctly my RG at max level was going to have like 50k+hp or something and he was doing a lot of damage to mobs, whats the deal srsly?.

#16 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10855 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:03 PM

Actually i know that too, whoevers 1 shots you first wins, Ragnarok never was balanced in PVP this has always been like this, that, or potion spams, specially in WOEs, its a shame because WOE is a really good concept but flawed by the imbalanced core mechanics of pvp.

The mechanisms are balanced. Check RWC.

Its gears in iRO that cause imbalances. Since we dont have MVPs in cash shop and no limitations of MVPs and Gods in WoE, god bless new players who go up against old guilds. Well WoE is pretty dead anyway, no new guilds haha

#17 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10855 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:08 PM

It's basically the same.

You either kill them in one go or you die potting. :heh:

Probaby dont die potting. AP is OP haha

Edited by ChakriGuard, 18 August 2015 - 01:09 PM.

#18 alphasync

alphasync

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:58 PM

i think Hikusaak above already said that not only with rk, but with their fellow caster (sorcerer) most of the time we get outshined by them. The role of a wiz certainly has changed from primary dmg dealer to secondary dmg dealer and crowd control, so its a whole other playing experience, if youre interested on trying this new experience its up to you, if not then RG it is then ;D

Edited by alphasync, 18 August 2015 - 01:59 PM.

#19 indigensDeo

indigensDeo

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • Server:slightly Ok THOR

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:58 AM

Im not liking the Warlocks so far just by seeing how they work, seems to be that they are not the super Obsene damage dealer that Wizards and Hight Wizards were, also seem like they just added a bunch of useless clunky mechanics on top of them just to make them more complicated for no reason at all, then im reading that magic damage is crap in Renewal and i have been hearing that since i was playing with my RG, also i saw a bunch of videos here and there and it seems the damage of Warlocks is really lacking, hell i saw a RK dealing more damage with that Breath attack they have than a Wizard with Comet same with RG and their Over Brand, i dont understand why the hell this guys thought it was a good idea to give tanky clases OP mobing capabilities, who is gonna play the squishy caster with subpar damage?, no one, whata the benefit of that if you can just pick a tank and do great damage and survive better...

Also is aw their HP is ridiculously low, like 10-15k maybe?, i saw a sorcerer with like 25k hp WTH?, if i remember correctly my RG at max level was going to have like 50k+hp or something and he was doing a lot of damage to mobs, whats the deal srsly?.

true renewal was the culprit

Warlocks still deal the highest damage of all magic classes, has greater aoe with comet of all magic classes, has longer range to strike magic with "release", can forbid cooldown with reading spell book and spam magic 4 times or more for regular warlock/high wiz/mage skills and 2 times in a row for comet and tetra vortex

mage class has really low hp and sorcerers hp>warlocks hp that's how it is,

with the right gear and little research they could greatly increase their damage, decrease cast time and delay and KILL/tank mvps and keep up with other liked jobs, even there's a lot of nerfed things to warlocks that made them unlikable.

but why fret? you could use your RG since you mastered it all the way.

Edited by indigensDeo, 19 August 2015 - 03:59 AM.

#20 KudanSeishirou

KudanSeishirou

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:29 AM

I think people don't level with comet because of the ridiculous 800SP =V (or at least for me)

unlike other physical classes, you can't use any leech SP gear to get SP back, and your favorite Soul Drain doesn't trigger with comet.

heck even sorc get indulge to get SP back from Energy Coat.

GL leveling warlock with Energy Coat and spamming Comet

maybe it'll cost like 1 blue box every 5min xD

#21 Zherot

Zherot

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:48 AM

true renewal was the culprit

Warlocks still deal the highest damage of all magic classes, has greater aoe with comet of all magic classes, has longer range to strike magic with "release", can forbid cooldown with reading spell book and spam magic 4 times or more for regular warlock/high wiz/mage skills and 2 times in a row for comet and tetra vortex

mage class has really low hp and sorcerers hp>warlocks hp that's how it is,

with the right gear and little research they could greatly increase their damage, decrease cast time and delay and KILL/tank mvps and keep up with other liked jobs, even there's a lot of nerfed things to warlocks that made them unlikable.

but why fret? you could use your RG since you mastered it all the way.

Well, its because i would like to play a Magic class, i always liked them but when i made my Royal Guard i wanted to make a paladin since i always liked them too but never actually made any.

Now my question should be:

Sorcerer or Warlock?

I dont want to make a 0 dex build because leveling that would be a mayor pain in the ass srsly, does the max int then dex still works with warlock or it dosent?, also i dont want to rely on other classes to solo, i have seen sorcerers solo but they use the broken and cheesy Kaahi to level up, srsly?, you may as well just buy a max lvl character, that thing looks like cheating, not to mention the annoyance to make the soul linker and marry him/her.

I dont see that the sorcerers have any crowd control ability at all so thats probably why they abuse the Kaahi thing, does warlock has any reliable crowd control to mob?, before renewal screwed everything you always had the old good storm gust and then a Lord of Vermilion or something.

I really want to be capable of be independant and not rely on another class (i mean myself having to level another class) not saying i will not play in parties from time to time but i dont want to have 2 characters just to level 1.

Also i dont like pvp on this game i wouldnt mind to try it here and there but is not a priority because RO pvp sucks period, what i would really want to do is MVP, again solo.

Edited by Zherot, 19 August 2015 - 10:52 AM.

#22 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:57 AM

I find sorcerer more fun to play in early pvm. but sage is a lot harder to raise to 99 than wiz as your fiest character. I also find sorcerer easier to solo than warlock mostly due to alternating aoe so you're never stuck in a cooldown, as well as.more element versatility (including neutral for shadow enemies), but they both have advantages.

#23 hotel

hotel

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1571 posts
  • Playing:Pogo's Lounge
  • Server:shock town

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:03 AM

sorcerer has an easier time because of kaahi, plus they are always wanted in parties. neither will be able to mvp particularly efficiently solo though

#24 Zherot

Zherot

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:27 AM

sorcerer has an easier time because of kaahi, plus they are always wanted in parties. neither will be able to mvp particularly efficiently solo though

Dude, i said i dont want to rely on a cheap tactic like that, i dont want to rely on that skill.

#25 Niloks

Niloks

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:33 AM

Sorc, warlock if you want to suck all day and all night

and also not more fun anymore with wl since the stasis resist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users