Noxnel

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1595 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:36 PM

King of Fighters, my favourite fighting game franchise... The game of my childhood. I couldn't afford the consoles of my generation so the arcade was a sanctuary for aspiring gamers.
This teaser was shown in the TGS event and it doesn't give much hope. A franchise that reached the top in its past of glory, now it is whiffing success like a newbie, not a single hit since then.

About this trailer, nothing against 3D fighting games. But the design doesn't appeal to an oldschool player of the genre such as me and I dare to say many others, and the new generation finds it hard to believe that this was actually one of the best fighting games in the world.

Kyo, the SNK boy looks like a Japanese version of Elvis. The movement looks stiff. I do hope that this was just a "we gotta show something, what do we got?" "this will have to do" thing.

And I still top KoF '98 over SF and any other fighting game franchise any time!

Spoiler

Edited by Noxnel, 17 September 2015 - 04:38 PM.

#2 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:49 AM

KoF's okay, not great. Not enough footsies and too much of an air game. Once you lock someone down they're pretty much done. Also 4 buttons? What is this even.

3rd Strike forever.

#3 Noxnel

Noxnel

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1595 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:31 AM

You're right, the best jumping system instead of the predictable single jump for a certain anti-air. KoF is like the first ever Smash Bros, a company that decided to put all these characters from different franchises together and it worked pretty darn well.

It also has the best story of all, the most charismatic characters. Tell me you felt nothing when Yashiro, Shermie and Chris died, I dare ya! Also
Characters actually die... Not some "man, who should we pick?" "let's go with M. Bison and all those three punks again" "again?" "aye, again"!

SF took maaany years to finally lauch 3rd Strike, which is good, they took their time to do something that would stand out. Unfortunately SNK had financial issues and so the pachinko started showing up, instead of good quality games ( I was fooled by a vid on yt into believing that the new KoF XIV was coming, and heck it looked better than the trailer in the OP)... Just recently it was bought by a new company which I'm not sure if they are going to invest on a game for real or just use it to make easy cash. SF was actually my first fighting game for console, but once I got a taste of KoF 95 and so on it changed my point of view on fighting games.

It does have footsies u.u, the best combo sytem, too!

And the ST? Even though I really like SF's ST I have to admit that KoF's far better and more appealing to the characters theme.
The characters's intro! Everything about KoF was creative, they made a game that competed with SF on the same level and once reached the top (shortly but did)!

Check the KoF '97 OST and you can't help but feel inspired and eager to play!

EDIT: I recommend STILL GREEN - Shingo Yabuki's theme!

EDIT: any character of KoF has faced far stronger foes than SF's. I'm talking about Omega Rugal (non-canon) and ofc, OROCHI ( a god =p ).

Edited by Noxnel, 18 September 2015 - 05:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users