Valentine's Day Loading Screen Contest! :V - Page 10 - Creative Archive Goldmine - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Valentine's Day Loading Screen Contest! :V

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
243 replies to this topic

#226 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10845 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Renew Chaos

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:38 PM

The reason some of us call/dismiss the complaints as salt is because at the end of the day they only come off as "my favorite artist(s)/work(s) didn't win, contest sucked".

:shss: :shss: :shss: :shss: :shss:

#227 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:44 PM

The reason some of us call/dismiss the complaints as salt is because at the end of the day they only come off as "my favorite artist(s)/work(s) didn't win, contest sucked". This is an art contest and art is extremely subjective, even if one loading screen was very well drawn it simply won't be picked as the winner if the judge(s) in question simply don't like it for any reason whatsoever.

As far as I understand, Akreis decided based on their sole opinion and discretion which loading screens won. There is absolutely nothing wrong about this, at some point in our lives we have all judged and dismissed so-called "works of art" based solely upon whether we liked it or not. To this day I still don't understand what the appeal is behind Picasso's art, for example; not everyone shares my enthusiasm for anime either.

The classy thing to do would have been to simply walk out ("leave it", in other words), making a big fuss just rubs some of us the wrong way.

If the contest host was running the contest for a personal reason entirely, then yes, I would agree with that sentiment. Unfortunately, the fact is Akreis is simply standing in for Oda to run a officially-sanctioned contest for loading screens, which adds much more pressure on the host to be more fair when it comes to the submissions. It's a very tricky situation and one that doesn't have a definitive answer considering the creative nature of the submissions.

#228 hotel

hotel

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1571 posts
  • Playing:Pogo's Lounge
  • Server:shock town

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:48 PM

I think both side has made valid points. One wanted to see more artists that hasn't won before win, the other side wanted more solid judging system that aren't one sided to win. I think it is constructive discussion and you don't have to dimiss it as 'salt' and drama. I find it appalling that the people in this community can't seem to take suggestions/ feedbacks/ criticism very well either and will just dismiss everything as 'salt'. It is constructive criticism that can help improve and shape things better. Shutting down other people's opinion isn't good either because this isn't the first time that some members in the community (aside from Kami) that got really unhappy with a 'one judge' contest result. I know of a member that took it into pm with the CMs and also voiced out to me personally about it. It just doesn't work. The contest is held for the public and shouldn't be seen as 'their contest' and they get to do whatever they want as well. That just leads to dictatorship and unfairness to happen. But Akreis isn't like that, she just didn't know that it would have been better to involve more judges. Otherwise, I think she did tried very hard to make this a successful event. And having attempted to host an event before myself, I know Oda can be a little bit difficult to work with too. So I can understand some of her frustration.

I can agree with more solid judging if you mean to separate the prizes into categories like someone else mentioned - Best concept, best coloring etc. but beyond that there isn't much you can do to solidify a criteria for 'best piece'. I'll bring up my music example again because I think it applies perfectly - it's not like a high school essay or exam where you can just tick off the boxes to satisfy the criterion, it's how you bring all the different parts together and then some. 

More judges would have been better, yes, but what if a panel of judges had selected the exact same pieces for the exact same reasons? I'm all for including more judges next time and more transparent guidelines, but you have to think about to what extent you can create these rules without encroaching into the artists' own creative territory.

Personally, I didn't think the judging in this contest was one-sided at all. I would've chosen differently for sure, but I can't see anything one-sided or unfair about her choice of artwork.

Edited by hotel, 02 February 2016 - 07:00 PM.

#229 kingarthur6687

kingarthur6687

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1877 posts
  • Server:iRO Chaos Renewal

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:56 PM

If the contest host was running the contest for a personal reason entirely, then yes, I would agree with that sentiment. Unfortunately, the fact is Akreis is simply standing in for Oda to run a officially-sanctioned contest for loading screens, which adds much more pressure on the host to be more fair when it comes to the submissions. It's a very tricky situation and one that doesn't have a definitive answer considering the creative nature of the submissions.

The complaints (if any) should be directed at Oda in private then because that looks like it is his responsibility to overall manage the contest. "Don't shoot the messenger", and all that. =V

Edited by kingarthur6687, 02 February 2016 - 06:57 PM.

#230 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:42 PM

The complaints (if any) should be directed at Oda in private then because that looks like it is his responsibility to overall manage the contest. "Don't shoot the messenger", and all that. =V

But the messenger is standing next to Oda and everyone only has access to Arrow Storm.

#231 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:33 AM

Guys

It's a contest for a loading screen on a video game, why does it have to be so complicated. So many event hosts have quit helping because of the community having problems acting like grown ups, but at the end of the day, if you didn't enjoy working on the piece, then you lost even if you won.

Plus also, I'll be the bad guy, someone has to say it. You can draw the prettiest picture in the world. You can have the greatest style, the most amazing colour usage, the best composition and all the skill ever, but it doesn't mean anything if it's a boring picture.

tldr; y so srs

Edited by Xellie, 03 February 2016 - 12:34 AM.

#232 ROCKheir

ROCKheir

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1488 posts
  • Locationhttps://www.artstation.com/rockheir
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:36 AM

As for the withdrawn entry, I was civil with the call outs. It is not fair for other artists to compete against a plagiarism piece. If I never called it out, they would never learn it is not okay to do so too. He didn't seem sincerely apologetic about it as well and only alter the picture as call outs were made. I actually know that aside from that piece there were others that were just blatantly traced and copied. I just hoped that one specific artist would learn from this mistake because I did looked up to his work a lot and thought he had a lot of potential. The fact he also changed the background to one he draw originally was a step in the right direction. Him being disqualified wasn't something I wish to see happen either. I do look forward to his future art works though.

Guess this is for me since I'm the only disqualified contestant as far as I know. First off, the way you make it sound as if the entirety of my entry is plagiarized and that plagiarism is a habit of mine as an artist is unfair. It was never my intention to claim the elements I incorporated in my artwork as my own, I know for a fact that people can tell that those elements are not my original work at first glance. I thought it was ok to do it coz I have seen some fanarts in the past that directly use the concept arts as their background and some artists assimilating stuff they see in google search in their artworks without citing their sources. My mistake is that I assumed that such actions don't count as plagiarism and failed to expressively credit my sources in writing. , When you remarked negatively about my initial background, I even said something that goes like this: if there's any infraction I have committed in my entry, please let me know so I can act accordingly. since I was in limbo about the incorporation I made. How can you say that I was insincere when I acknowledged my blunders? I am convinced that I don't owe you or anyone else an apology but the sources of my "plagiarized" elements so I didn't say sorry to you or your friends. You, and those with you, have my thanks tho for the experience you gave me which reminded me to be very sensitive with the use of others' works as part of my art piece no matter how big or small their part in my work is. Thank you! Rest assured that I will bear in mind the lesson that you strive to teach me in my future works. ^^

P.S.
I hope you're not one of those who messaged Akreis in protest, seeking to disqualify my entry, or I'd be sad. =/

@Akreis: You've done what you could. In fact, you were very accommodating as an event host. :no1: It may be to a fault but we learn from our mistakes. That's the most important thing. Sorry if I've been part of your disstress as a host. The criticisms made here, constructive or otherwise, have their salient points you can/should take into consideration the next time you host an event and I look forward to it. ^^

Edit: Oh yea, CONGRATULATIONS to the winners especially to the first timers in the contest!^^

Edited by ROCKheir, 03 February 2016 - 09:53 AM.

#233 larasayaz

larasayaz

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • LocationJuno ◔ᴥ◔ ♡
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:38 AM

Oh my!:o I'm one of the winners! Thank you very much Akreis for the contest and the chance! :ani_meow: 

Congratz to all winners! and also the participants! :no1:

#234 Alathea

Alathea

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 351 posts
  • LocationLuina
  • Server:Renewal-Chaos

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:46 AM

Congrats to all the winners of this contest :) especially Mika because we partially witnessed the creation of her piece. Angels represent!

There's so much negativity around but I wish to air my opinion as well. It looks like each party has valid points and each opinion should be able to be taken as constructive. I just feel like those involved are high in emotion and needed to say their piece to which they were given the avenue to do so i.e. this thread. It should be enough. However, I did notice that most contest or even events on the forums do not have clear guidelines thus making them very prone to loopholes. I wish that this discussion would lead to better contest and events organizing. Use this as a learning experience. :D

I hope this discussion will not discourage aspiring and experienced artists to stop creating for this community. Every piece is an artwork regardless if it won or not. <3 Give yourself a pat on the back for the courage it took to post on a contest. A lot of people can't do that given their reasons.

Edited by Alathea, 03 February 2016 - 03:23 PM.

#235 aralee73

aralee73

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationJelly Land
  • Server:chaos

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:56 AM

What about we all got the main prize no need participation prize. All win all happy :)

#236 MikaKuchiki

MikaKuchiki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:11 AM

Oh my! :o I'm one of the winners! Thank you very much Akreis for the contest and the chance! :ani_meow:

Congratz to all winners! and also the participants! :no1:

Thank you and congratz to you too. I really love your art. The color is really good. They shine and i feel like i am there too, watching the couple eating their ice cream

:rice: :rice:

*wrong emote*

And thank you Alathea! Lets draw more and we will fight again in another contest!

Vsm4pQI.jpg

Happy Valentine :3

#237 miaowlee

miaowlee

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 355 posts
  • Locationstarbucks
  • Server:chaos <3

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:21 AM

thank you very much akreis for helding this contest   :thx:  i burned monkey tail to represent fire monkey year  :heh:  ( i feel sorry to the monkey )  :p_sick:

also, congrats to all winner and all participants, we all doing a good job   :ani_wow:  :ani_wow:  

and thank you evaine <3 aj and erin  :ani_wow:   :ani_wow:

Edited by miaowlee, 03 February 2016 - 08:23 AM.

#238 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10845 posts
  • Server:Renew Chaos

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:45 AM

Guys

It's a contest for a loading screen on a video game, why does it have to be so complicated. So many event hosts have quit helping because of the community having problems acting like grown ups, but at the end of the day, if you didn't enjoy working on the piece, then you lost even if you won.

Plus also, I'll be the bad guy, someone has to say it. You can draw the prettiest picture in the world. You can have the greatest style, the most amazing colour usage, the best composition and all the skill ever, but it doesn't mean anything if it's a boring picture.

tldr; y so srs

I miss your Classic drama threads <3

#239 barachan

barachan

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationATL, USA
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:07 PM

good grief y'all this is why we can't have nice things

congrats to the winners!

#240 Romanov90

Romanov90

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationMy Laboratory

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:05 PM

congratulations to the winner !! i didnt have the chance to participate   :p_laugh:

#241 Alathea

Alathea

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 351 posts
  • LocationLuina
  • Server:Renewal-Chaos

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:22 PM

And thank you Alathea! Lets draw more and we will fight again in another contest!

Vsm4pQI.jpg

Happy Valentine :3

Mika <333333 i want maltessers cake haha

yes, we shall and I hope more Angels join, too. :)

#242 Minyi

Minyi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:24 PM

Congrats to all the winners. Thanks for this opportunity.

#243 ShinobiEX3

ShinobiEX3

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6862 posts
  • LocationForest

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:37 PM

Hmm. I haven't seen a gx art yet u all fail good day -_-

#244 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:47 PM

The thread is being locked. We are working to include more rules and guidelines for judging criteria in future contests. In the future I will also ask that issues with individual artworks or the contest be directed to me, not posted in the thread. If we can't have a civil discussion in a contest thread it will mean we won't be able to have as many of them in the future. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users