Reason for the Lag: DDoS - Dragon Saga Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Reason for the Lag: DDoS

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 CHiSEEN

CHiSEEN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:52 PM

Quoted from the RO forums, dunno why this is not pinned to every page, not all of us visit every part of the forum.

Many comments and complaints have been heard regarding the latency and disconnections that have been occuring recently. We have had several seperate incidents that have accumulated together creating an overall bad game play experience in the past 7 weeks.

I want to talk about what has happened in the past week. We have been making numerous optimizations over the past months to find sources of lag and eliminate it. Things were going as well as expected with such a long term project, when our normally stable ISP began having its own problems. We had several downed routers throughout the internet (not all of them from our ISP) when that happens the network traffic redirects to less optimal routes that creates lag for the users. This is normal, it sucks when it happens but it is not an odd occurance in the internet world.

And then things got real.. a constuction project severed the lines from our Data Center completely cutting WarpPortal off from the world for almost a full day. This was repaired, but things were never quite the same. We began analyzing all packets coming in with a monitoring tool that was on loan, and it was illuminating for where bottlenecks were on our back end network (game servers, routers and DBs). Many optimizations were made over the weeks and regular improvements were noticed, which is expected given the size of such a project. However, at that time those pesky routers were not behaving and many connections between ISPs were very poor routings which causes more latency than would otherwise be there. We could see these problems as well, and reported them to the ISP which then negotiated and worked with the responsible people for the routers.

Things were fairly well sorted out by Tuesday of last week, there was 1 bad router that was being looked into on NTT side, and then the DDOS started on Thursday which made our services unavailable. This DDOS continues through now. Early this morning we hoped to perform a repair and check session at our IDC, this requires help from the Data Center and ISP staff. It was cancelled due to a work scheduling problem. We are doing the appropriate steps to mitigate the DDOS, which is extra annoying because the attack vector is fluctuating, and not persistent. We have taken appropriate prevention and repair procedures to lessen the damage, but due to the way internet traffic must work it is not possible to "turtle up" and still get legit traffic to get through. Our ISP and IDC is working with us but a final solution that doesn't kill normal traffic only comes with time or when the DDOS person stops (or is stopped).

I do expect the the latency and DCs to continue at some level for the next day or so. I do know we will be providing some treats as an apology and to help get you where you should have been. We will weather the storm and come out ahead in the end.

Merging all lag stuff here.

TL;DR
SERVERS ARE BEING HACKED BY A DISGRUNTLED PLAYER D:

for those of you who are still confused: wikipedia

Edited by CHiSEEN, 30 November 2010 - 08:01 PM.

#2 rickyleung90

rickyleung90

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:00 PM

I do know we will be providing some treats as an apology and to help get you where you should have been

as long as they have this :p_devil:

#3 CHiSEEN

CHiSEEN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:05 PM

well this was taken from the RO section... and so that part doesnt apply to Dragon Saga players. Although I'm pretty sure we can expect all WP games to have some sort of "treat" once this is all sorted out lol

#4 Severfang

Severfang

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:06 PM

thank you. that post definitely needs to be pinned.

#5 fyerolight

fyerolight

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 525 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico
  • Playing:Dragon Saga
  • Server:Vyvern

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:14 PM

well this was taken from the RO section... and so that part doesnt apply to Dragon Saga players. Although I'm pretty sure we can expect all WP games to have some sort of "treat" once this is all sorted out lol

They also posted this through the Dragon Saga facebook, and Twitter. I guess they forgot the forums?
Anyway, thanks for posting it though.

#6 Paxon

Paxon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 579 posts
  • LocationBehind you ^^
  • Playing:Dragon Saga
  • Server:I forgot which one

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:21 PM

Funny how they always post stuff on facebook and twitter but never on the forums. considering many people don't have a facebook or twitter.

#7 ImNotATree

ImNotATree

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationCreepers Closet

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:22 PM

More like needs to be an Announcement.

This quote raises a valid point about letting the Community know.
Thank you Staff/Admins for the news. Hopefully this ends with a happy ending... Soon.

There we go ^^ I was wondering when we'd finally get that scoop! Very good, very good. I had assumed most of what is going down already, from the hardware to the attacks, but it's good that you finally came out and told the community. You should have done it sooner y'know? The community likes to hear whats going on, to be honest, if the community doesn't hear it, 95% of it will just assume you are doing nothing. Of course this is just silly, but thats just the way people are, so make sure you get on it asap. All it takes is a forum post like this, and thousands of people will chill. As for the rich kid MIT graduates, they are gonna end up in jail. FBI should be knocking one of their doors anytime now :3 and then he/she will rat out all his/her friends to save his/her own butt like a wuss. haha ahhh, I remember when I was that stupid. And to anyone whom it may concern. Don't fight the system... manipulate it to your benefit :p_devil:

cheers,

b

Edited by ImNotATree, 30 November 2010 - 08:24 PM.

#8 SharpEye

SharpEye

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:23 PM

TL;DR
SERVERS ARE BEING HACKED BY A DISGRUNTLED PLAYER D:

No.

#9 Hastur

Hastur

Too Legit To Quit

• Retired
  • 1553 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:31 PM

I posted this http://forums.warppo...2-ddos-attacks/ and this http://forums.warppo...ssues-that-bad/ . I didnt forget about you guys....

#10 RennyB

RennyB

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:35 PM

It surprises me how a person would have

a. enough people infected in their botnet to flood the server enough to bring it down
b. a VPN with enough bandwidth to do the same(would cost a :p_devil: ton)

I doubt its a DDos because 99.9% of DS users still need their hand held when they go "potty" So how on earth would they have the INT(c wut i did thar) to organize a botnet

Actually, considering how much some of these little kids spend on this game, I wouldn't doubt they would use mommy's credit card to get a vpn so who knows.

#11 Severfang

Severfang

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:37 PM

I posted this http://forums.warppo...2-ddos-attacks/ and this http://forums.warppo...ssues-that-bad/ . I didnt forget about you guys....

thank you.

#12 CHiSEEN

CHiSEEN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:44 PM

What I meant was that we shouldn't be linking everyone to the post in the RO section, it should be pinned as an announcement. We know your hard at work Hastur :p_devil:

No.

Okay so it isn't "hacking" the servers but that's the simplest way to get the point across

#13 chaosdragoon1

chaosdragoon1

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:45 PM

It surprises me how a person would have

a. enough people infected in their botnet to flood the server enough to bring it down
b. a VPN with enough bandwidth to do the same(would cost a :p_devil: ton)

I doubt its a DDos because 99.9% of DS users still need their hand held when they go "potty" So how on earth would they have the INT(c wut i did thar) to organize a botnet

Actually, considering how much some of these little kids spend on this game, I wouldn't doubt they would use mommy's credit card to get a vpn so who knows.

They can release viruses and worms to do that.

#14 RennyB

RennyB

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:50 PM

They can release viruses and worms to do that.

No :p_devil: shirlock. Im saying half the people here can't even tie their own shoe. How the hell would they code and distribute viruses for their botnet

#15 LinkKirby

LinkKirby

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:54 PM

No :p_devil: shirlock. Im saying half the people here can't even tie their own shoe. How the hell would they code and distribute viruses for their botnet

If half the people here can't even tie their own shoe, then obviously it must have been someone in the other half. :D

#16 chaosdragoon1

chaosdragoon1

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:56 PM

If half the people here can't even tie their own shoe, then obviously it must have been someone in the other half. :p_devil:

Took it straight from my mouth. LOL.

#17 RennyB

RennyB

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:08 PM

Sarcasm is lovely. You must be in the half im talking about

#18 CHiSEEN

CHiSEEN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:21 AM

Hi I'm just gonna roll on up in here and deny the announcement made by the mods. Oh also allow me to rage on something completely off topic because it makes me seem like I'm important. Have a nice day. :)

Fixed.

Sorry to feed the fire but it was too tempting :P

#19 zabmaru

zabmaru

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1403 posts
  • LocationSome rural craphole

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:11 AM

>treats

Posted Image

#20 RennyB

RennyB

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:26 PM

Allow me to criticize someone for being off topic without realizing how much of a hypocrite I am. Somehow, despite knowing I'm a complete retard I still have enough pride to post stupid crap without thinking it through.

^I suppose you can be Exhibit B^. You're probably one of the same who googled "ddos"ing after seeing it in the thread and somehow think they're knowledgeable enough about the topic after skimming through wikipedia to comment on it because "it makes me seem like I'm important." Right?

Oh also allow me to rage on something completely off topic because it makes me seem like I'm important.

Because botnets and vpns have nothing to do with ddosing amirite? Oh wait you obviously don't know. My saying that the 99% of people like you in this community are too stupid to know how to use a botnet to ddos or even anything about ddosing in general, re-enforces my claim of doubt that the ddos even happened. Both are related to the topic.
Have a Nice Day :)

#21 CHiSEEN

CHiSEEN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:12 PM

Oh damn you got me... Truth is I'm completely computer illiterate. As a matter of fact my mommy still feeds me milk out of a bottle.
What grounds do you have on me to say I know nothing of the topic? Ohoho how wrong you are Mr. Just-hit-puberty-wannabe-compsci-major. Just because YOU can't distribute a botnet and get it up and running the way this guy did does not mean it is not possible. Actually, according to you distributing a worm and spreading the botnet should be quite easy no? I mean 99.9% of us wouldn't even know we were infected :) It does not require a botnet consisting of millions and millions of computers to take down gravity's servers, it is not hard to acquire the power needed to bring their servers down.

And since you don't seem to realize it let me point this out as well: insulting 99.9% of the DS community has nothing to do with the topic ESPECIALLY when the topic I quoted is the the RO section. kthx. umad brah.

Well, I'm done here. Respond however you like it will be ignored.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users