• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Locationtumblr hell
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:39 PM

For the future...

What do you think?

-don't mind my bad anatomy ;') that was a mistake...

tumblr_nzdzkp2t0D1qbyvo1o1_500.png

I don't think I can do chibi's quite well yet...

I plan for only head shots and bust.

[more works here]

Came back to RO to only end up spitting more blood than ever at the economy.

Edited by Lilblkrose, 27 February 2016 - 12:09 PM.

#2 RichieDagger

RichieDagger

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnder your bed.

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:30 AM

When I inquired, I found this to be a reasonable benchmark. Just work up an hourly rate for yourself.

Wpe I think is normally 150m/1k or 10$.

Probably good to determine what you feel would make it worth it for you (as a minimum, then work up). Your art is pretty unique to the others too. :3

That's just what I would do and have seen suggested by others over similar things anyway. >.<

#3 kokeshicat

kokeshicat

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 886 posts
  • LocationCamp Half-Blood

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:51 AM

o.o im not sure whether you could do commissions for cash here in iRo but you could always have equips as payment or in form of zenny instead. :) or both.

welp for zenny either you go for per hour charge or get the average pricing here so you could put up a more confident price

Edited by kokeshicat, 27 February 2016 - 07:53 AM.

#4 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:47 AM

You're not allowed to advertise commissions for straight up cash on the WP forums. If you want to make commissions through WP's forums, you can only sell for zeny or WPE.

#5 Mayhem

Mayhem

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 890 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:36 AM

Made me log in just to answer this.

Look at what other people are charging and find a happy medium that you feel that you are getting paid for the amount of work you do.

DO NOT DO PER HOUR. - People keep suggesting this to people but its just about the stupidest thing to suggest to someone. Its the "lazy" answer. Some people can kick off what you did in ten minutes, some will take them 5 hours to do it. So which one should get paid more?

Its about finding someone to help you decide the quality of your work. Which also isnt easy to do off one picture. If you want, post at least three images of Ragnarok that you think you can always come to the same quality of. Then people could help you more.

Wpe I think is normally 150m/1k or 10$.

I think that is a great starting point. Its easier to determine how much in $ you could sell it for. This is of course an "artist thing".  Things like how much you value your work, how much others value your work, how popular you are, and a bunch of things effect how much you can actually charge.

Edited by Mayhem, 27 February 2016 - 11:46 AM.

#6 Lilblkrose

Lilblkrose

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Locationtumblr hell

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:09 PM

Oh, thank you everyone!
Sorry, I didn't know about the advertisement thing. (removes in case)

Was curious because I'm not sure of iRO rates anymore with the way things are priced at the moment :(

(I had 10 mill, but that's wallet money apparently now /tears)

#7 Mayhem

Mayhem

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 890 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:16 PM

I've been browsing the art forum after you questioned this and yes just like you prices have certainly changed. Looking at the quality of other peoples work and the quality of the image you just posted I would say 150m at the min.

If you can put out this quality each time and its not that big of a hassle for you then that would at least be a good start.

Lol but if you want to charge 10mil thats fine with me, I will take 3 lol

Edited by Mayhem, 27 February 2016 - 12:18 PM.

#8 Lilblkrose

Lilblkrose

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Locationtumblr hell

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:41 PM

I've been looking at other threads price, but felt intimated by the price (like surely, I can't get away with charging that much D: ?! Must be popular)

The style advance over time, so it's more "easier" for me to deal with much quickly.

Thank you very much, Mayhem haha

I might just start with small commissions later to build up some post&reps ;')

#9 RichieDagger

RichieDagger

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:02 PM

Some people can kick off what you did in ten minutes, some will take them 5 hours to do it. So which one should get paid more?

Between two people able to produce reasonably similar pieces of the same style, size, and quality, the one able to provide finished work in a significantly shorter time would merit a much higher hourly rate. However, this individual may choose to take competitive advantage of their efficiency and charge less for the overall work.

#10 KamiKali

KamiKali

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 5143 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:07 PM

Depending on how "finished" the first work is since your shading looks rather light and it's mainly base color, I prob would estimate headshot prob 50-75m, waist would be 100m

#11 Mayhem

Mayhem

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 890 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:56 PM

Between two people able to produce reasonably similar pieces of the same style, size, and quality, the one able to provide finished work in a significantly shorter time would merit a much higher hourly rate. However, this individual may choose to take competitive advantage of their efficiency and charge less for the overall work.

That may be true but its not helpful in figuring out how much you should charge for your piece. Its fine after you know your price then you can divide by how long it took you and figure out your hourly rate. But still that hourly rate should never be how you figure out how much your art should be worth. Like say it takes them 12 hours to do a 24$ piece. 2$/hour is what it come out to. but honestly they shouldnt charge more for this said piece just because they are slower. Then you have to take in as an artist how much you value your time. Do you want to spend this much time doing the art for that much. (thats 12 hours of GAME TIME!!! lol)

I just am not a fan of the "figure out your hourly rate" thing. Specially for a new artist. And any artist posting here to ask about a price check is new because they dont know how to judge the worth of their art.

#12 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:43 PM

That may be true but its not helpful in figuring out how much you should charge for your piece. Its fine after you know your price then you can divide by how long it took you and figure out your hourly rate. But still that hourly rate should never be how you figure out how much your art should be worth. Like say it takes them 12 hours to do a 24$ piece. 2$/hour is what it come out to. but honestly they shouldnt charge more for this said piece just because they are slower. Then you have to take in as an artist how much you value your time. Do you want to spend this much time doing the art for that much. (thats 12 hours of GAME TIME!!! lol)

I just am not a fan of the "figure out your hourly rate" thing. Specially for a new artist. And any artist posting here to ask about a price check is new because they dont know how to judge the worth of their art.

So you're saying artists should be getting paid below minimum wage?

Arists need to take into account the cost of materials as well as the amount of labor put into the work. No one should be working for pennies, especially new artists. It doesn't matter if the art style is appealing enough to be worth a certain amount, because the appeal of an artwork is DIFFERENT for everyone. Maybe you don't think a certain kind of art is worth your money, but it's worth money to someone else and that's the kind of clientele an artist should aim for.

#13 KamiKali

KamiKali

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 5143 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:49 PM

Its really not what you charge but what peple are willing to pay. Justbecause someone spends hours doesn't ensure quality or style peple want, and thus won't grt commissions if they charge too much, while if they charge too little they may get overwhelmed with too much demand. Art like every other product is a good. What you guys are discuussing really isnt going to help the op get a price check on her art. Say what you're willing to pay or believe what others do and that's pretty much as helpful as you can get.

#14 RichieDagger

RichieDagger

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:37 PM

Like say it takes them 12 hours to do a 24$ piece. 2$/hour is what it come out to.

Correct, if no one is willing to pay more than $24 for a service that takes you 12 hours to complete, the market value for your time is $2 per hour. If you personally value your time more than that and cannot compromise, you find a way to work more efficiently, produce a higher quality, or do something else.

honestly they shouldnt charge more for this said piece just because they are slower.

Correct, if you cannot sell your services at $2 per hour, increasing your price will only make it less appealing.

you have to take in as an artist how much you value your time.

People keep suggesting this to people but its just about the stupidest thing to suggest to someone. Its the "lazy" answer.

You recognize the need to assess the value of your time, but it's stupid to suggest it to someone? Lazy because all of the nuances that come later were not broken down at the start? You have to begin somewhere, in this case, getting the benchmark. Later you can determine how well the market reacts to what you're offering and make adjustment accordingly as mentioned earlier. This all takes time to pin down.

I just am not a fan of the "figure out your hourly rate" thing.

Well, there you have it.

#15 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:06 PM

Its really not what you charge but what peple are willing to pay. Justbecause someone spends hours doesn't ensure quality or style peple want, and thus won't grt commissions if they charge too much, while if they charge too little they may get overwhelmed with too much demand. Art like every other product is a good. What you guys are discuussing really isnt going to help the op get a price check on her art. Say what you're willing to pay or believe what others do and that's pretty much as helpful as you can get.

If a potential client is not willing to pay an artist at least for the time they put into the commission, then the artist should honestly look elsewhere. It's this very issue that's the reason why many companies choose to outsource their workforce to foreign entities; they don't feel local workers are worth the price compared to cheaper labor outside of the country.

At the very base minimum, an artist should take into account the cost of materials and at least 8 hours' worth of minimum wage for an art piece. There's no price check when it comes art because each artist is different. Obviously most clients would prefer to pay below minimum wage or absolutely nothing, therefore it's in the artist's best interest to think of a price point that pays for their overall labor.

#16 kokeshicat

kokeshicat

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 886 posts
  • LocationCamp Half-Blood

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:26 AM

:v tldr
i gave the artist an option to do hourly vs the average pricing but it doesnt mean she'll forget the electricity consumed, creativity consumed, the amount of time she should spend on this over other stuff she needs to do, ideas created for it, etc. :v whatever floats her boat.

:/ also calling out that suggestion as lazy suggestion was uncalled for. as i've said its an option. i'm giving the artist to decide for themselves. i value your opinion but to us thats how some professionals advice us as well and im happy they're giving that option for advice.

#17 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:43 AM

At the end of the day, it's all about how you as an artist value yourself as a human being, as your art is a reflection of your efforts. If you feel your efforts are worth below minimum wage, then that's all you're going to get. But if you think higher of yourself, then you can figure out a price point that you actually deserve.

Also, if you're curious how to calculate your RO minimum wage, look for a monster you can comfortably kill that commonly drops an item that sells for 500-600 zeny to an NPC (Harpy's talons and feathers come to mind). Get a timer or a clock and time yourself for 1 hour. Pick one of that monster's common loot item and kill as many as those monsters as you possibly can, making sure you collect that item each time. Once the hour is over, sell only that item to an NPC and calculate how much zeny you get from that. That amount is your RO minimum wage (obviously this will vary from player to player). Use that as a baseline and adjust however you like in terms of how much time you spend on your art (as you are sacrificing RO playtime to make your commission).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users