#1 andrewheins

andrewheins

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:43 AM

Hi there,

So I'm recently come back to the game, and I've made a Crusader. I'm working my way up to 99 in the hopes of building a Shield Chain paladin once I transcend. I've always thought the class looked awesome, and wanted to try bashing some stuff with a big shield.

Goals of the build:

1) Can solo fairly effectively.

2) Can tank MVPs/mob dungeons in parties

3) Hit things with shields

I don't plan on PVPing or WoEing, so consider that a secondary concern.

Does anyone have any suggestions on builds? The resources for Classic builds are fairly limited.

There's a Battle MR/RS build on iRO Wiki that looks like this:

STR: 60-80
AGI: 1-50
VIT: 90-99
INT: 20-30
DEX: 30-70
LUK: 1

That seems fairly straightforward.

I've seen other builds that are 99 Str with the rest split between dex and vit, but those builds look difficult to solo with. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I'd appreciate any advice, both on build,and on how to solo level.

#2 Undying

Undying

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1329 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Odin

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:06 PM

Solo leveling for a Rapid Smite pally is pretty hard. I think when I thought about this stuff it came down to shield boom with a SL buff to 1hko high orcs, which is horrible exp in today's world. 

Rapid smite costs a lot of sp and there is very few things you can 1hko that give any sort of meaningful exp. From my experience in the past, gears are just as important as stats. In the old school days the MR/RS pallys didn't get max vit because they wanted higher dex/str. I don't think str makes a huge difference compared to the high amount of stat points required to get it 100+ (without megs). However, most of my calcs are based off of being in strings so spam rate > max damage per cast.

To be honest, I don't see it viable as an "effective" PVM character. I am not saying that it is impossible, what I am saying is it will be sub par compared to every other type of Pally when it comes to solo'ing ability OR cost insane amounts of zeny spent on consumable items (at which point your better off buying a leech TBH).

The ONLY situation that I have done/came to a conclusion to be viable for either MR or RS on a pally is a very specific one. With a TAO your able to kill archer guardians very effectively solo on a pally (DA helps quite a bit to tank them). This is a very "high end" way of farming "high end" gears (Orleans gloves). Other then that specific situation, requiring expensive gears, I haven't found a strength for RS or MR in pvm/mvp/woe. 

#3 andrewheins

andrewheins

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:36 PM

Pretty great, if somewhat disappointing answer. Thanks Undying.

I guess it's looking like the only viable PVM builds are GC and Agi Spear. That's pretty disappointing, if I'm honest. Are there any other builds that work?

#4 Undying

Undying

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1329 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:57 PM

Sorry for the disappointment.

If your going for semi efficient or something that isn't going to drive you insane, then (solo play) GC or spear is best. Again, you can do anything you want and if you are really passionate about RS then do it! It will just take you longer and cost more consumables ect. 

If you don't have much start up fund, agi spear is best. If you can afford basic gear then I would go with GC (immune, cranial, ect). 

Spear build isn't too horrible, however you'll level slower due to killing one at a time. I guess the major pro would be you could go to many different places/explore. GC is pretty confined as far as where they can level solo. Spear can do Ice Dung 3 with "decent/good" gears. Outside of that you can make some zeny doing goats or anything really. For any solo play I would recommend a second account for buffs. GC makes good use of this for warp/agi/bless and can do chiv1 really fast. Once you get good gears or a High Priest alt buffer then you can go to castles2 which is actually really good exp and zeny making. Did those two places for billions in zeny... I use to have lots of time on my hands lol

#5 Fapman

Fapman

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:17 PM

Sorry for the disappointment.

If your going for semi efficient or something that isn't going to drive you insane, then (solo play) GC or spear is best. Again, you can do anything you want and if you are really passionate about RS then do it! It will just take you longer and cost more consumables ect. 

If you don't have much start up fund, agi spear is best. If you can afford basic gear then I would go with GC (immune, cranial, ect). 

Spear build isn't too horrible, however you'll level slower due to killing one at a time. I guess the major pro would be you could go to many different places/explore. GC is pretty confined as far as where they can level solo. Spear can do Ice Dung 3 with "decent/good" gears. Outside of that you can make some zeny doing goats or anything really. For any solo play I would recommend a second account for buffs. GC makes good use of this for warp/agi/bless and can do chiv1 really fast. Once you get good gears or a High Priest alt buffer then you can go to castles2 which is actually really good exp and zeny making. Did those two places for billions in zeny... I use to have lots of time on my hands lol

My friend is actually leveling a link-SB sader right now and YUP, just like you said, it's very "slow" by todays standards.

That being said, he does enjoy it, which should be the goal of playing a game. He logs on, kills some HOs for an hour or two, then logs off. Thing is, he last played YEARS ago on Chaos so even 20m/hr now is amazingly fast. It's all about perspective.

Play for fun and hopefully the CM's adjust/create new gear that allows for more viability amongst alternative builds.

I have a GC Pally and I love it. Haven't slaved it at all and I'm almost 98. It's good zeny which helps takes the sting out of the grind of leveling in Chiv/Castle the whole time.

#6 andrewheins

andrewheins

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:00 PM

Fapman, given the way levelling works nowadays, if you want to level fast, you wind up in a ID or Thors party, or something similar, so I'm not actually worried about _getting to high level_. That seems like a foregone conclusion nowadays.

When I last played, it was 2004-2006, they'd just nerfed LOD parties, and 99 was a fairly major accomplishment that took months of hard grinding. This time, starting from a completely fresh account, I got a ME priest to 99 within the alloted month for the promotion they're doing.

My current Crusader is GC build and has been mobbing ID for my guild when I want to make significant progress in terms of XP/hour. I imagine I can still do the same thing were I to build a RS Paladin.

Perhaps, I will do this. It's not feeling as hopeless as it did at first.

#7 Undying

Undying

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1329 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:03 PM

If your just going to mob in ID3 to 99, then build is irrelevant. All you need is high vit and WPH combo or fresh fish to heal with. Skills are literally just endure and calv mastery 5. Other then those skills and vit you can do anything that you'd like.

I'm just saying that leveling solo as RS would be extremely slow, compared to any other option.

Edit: other must have skills are hp recover (for potions) and faith for hp.

Edited by Undying, 01 July 2016 - 02:04 PM.

#8 havocstopper

havocstopper

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • LocationNew England, USA
  • Server:Between Worlds

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:48 PM

If you don't mind slower levels, be like me and go agi one hand. You get decent dps with boomerang and can still pull for parties if you aquire the right cards. Fun pvm, but know it would be sub par in woe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users