Apparently Nirvanna proposed something like this already, but I don't know the specifics of it. Don't mean to step on any toes here. I just want to see if we can get some proper discussion of this, and some serious consideration into its implementation.
tl;dr VIP users can complete a once per day/week quest to get a lucky box, or a random prize pool with old Kafra Shop Equipment.
- Many users are troubled that most of the best gear in the game comes exclusively from the Kafra Shop, so they feel there is not much available through playing the game that has value.
- Many users do not find VIP worth having, especially once they hit max level on most of their characters.
Add a new daily/weekly quest system available to VIP accounts, that either rewards old Lucky Boxes, or gives random rewards from a special loot table that includes old Kafra Shop items and equipment. Ideally, a proper implementation of this suggestion will give many people a reason to get VIP for even their max level accounts, and give people a reason to log in every day.
Potential pain points:
- Problem: If all characters within the same account are able to complete the daily/weekly quest, then:
- The return from rewards may be too great, compared to the cost of VIP
- Players will get fatigued more quickly, by being "forced" to run the daily quest 10+ times a day
- Rewards may be undertuned too much, in order to compensate for players that run the quest many times a day
- Solution: allow the daily/weekly quest to be completed only once per account per day/week. All characters should share the same cooldown timer across the entire account.
- Problem: If the quest is the same every day, then:
- Players will get fatigued, running the same content every day
- If the quest is too easy, players will become bored, running the same too easy content every day
- If the quest is too hard, many players may not be able to complete the quest, barring them access to these rewards
- Solution: Allow a range of difficulties, intended for a wide range of players. Examples:
- Low tier quest: Kill X easy monsters (rotates daily)
- Medium tier quest: Kill X medium monsters (rotates daily)
- High tier quest: Kill X hard monsters (rotates daily)
- Max tier quest: Complete X instance (rotates daily)
- Daily quest should take ~30 minutes to complete.
- Daily quest should be engaging: running around talking to NPCs for 30 minutes a day is not engaging.
- Players should be incentivized to complete the hardest difficulty possible for them. This means the ratio of difficult, time spent, and rewards needs to be balanced properly.
- A "guaranteed" grand reward, after enough "bad" rolls are made is a good way for players to feel like they are always making progress, even if the reward they got that day was not great. (like what the old Dally Quen used to do).
Interested in hearing other people's thoughts, suggestions, criticisms, etc.