A weekly pvp tournament. - Proposals & Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

A weekly pvp tournament.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Precrush

Precrush

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:03 AM

A system in game, simple bracket best of 5 elimination match bracket.

Why:

To  revive the room pvp scene by having an easily accessible version of it every week. No nonsense, just fighting.

To move the player base's focus from the largely broken EW and BSQ toward smaller scale pvp where skill has a better chance of mattering.

To offer an easy way for people to get a sense of smaller scale pvp so it may also be taken to account  when giving balance feedback.

To offer a big incentive for getting pvp worthy gear, and an easy way to measure how your gear compares to other people in general.

To establish a founding for a competitive system that can possibly be extended in the future.

How

The simplest, easiest possible implementation so it might actually happen.

Minimum level requirement of at least 70.

Enter button in the pvp game mode selection screen.

When you enter you are placed in a lobby with your opponent. If you win you'll be placed in the next lobby for the next game, if you lose it's over. So on till a winner is decided.

If the player leaves the lobby he automatically forfeits the game (to keep it simple)

Every Saturday starting at 10 am server time, right before EW. Or some other suitable time, preferably on Saturday.

Moderate reward for participating, reward gets bitter the further one goes. For example: first round exit is 25 silver coins, winner gets 500 silver coins + a special medal/balloon for a week.

Reward is based on completed rounds, in designing the reward system the fact that there will be alts, free wins, rage quits and forfeits has to be taken to account. Can even make this without any rewards but the winners one, at least to begin with. That would make it less popular, but again simpler.

No special rules, matchmaking, stat equalization or anything of the sort (to keep it simple). 

It would not be perfect, but it would be something.

Edited by Precrush, 09 September 2017 - 10:05 AM.

#2 testg

testg

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:14 AM

I like this idea but afraid the same players will keep winning and winning. Maybe introduce different pvp mode or something.

#3 5143121023173906760

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1508 posts
  • Server:Sounds obvious !

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:24 AM

In EW and BSQ people are gonna be salty over loosing against people while loosing some golds.

With this tournament people are gonna be salty over loosing against one dude spamming and earning 500 Silver Gasha Coins.

#4 Popcorn

Popcorn

Woodie-Holic

• Dragon Saga Staff
  • 5559 posts
  • LocationGermany, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:57 AM

Sorry to disappoint you but we do not have any plans to implement a new/alternative PvP mode in the near future.

#5 Coolsam

Coolsam

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4997 posts
  • LocationHiding from my Subscribers
  • Server:revreS

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:08 AM

There'd have to be systems for gear matchups to be more fair. If you wanna promote the skill > gear aspect, it'd have to give special Tournament rulings on attack vs defenses and factor in element attack vs resistances. Nobody would wanna join a tournament where their opponents are 100% finished on gears, maxed element cards, etc. when they could only muster about 50% of the gear.

#6 Onyzer

Onyzer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:35 AM

If this kind of thing is not possible, what about a PvP tournament organized by the GMs ? I wasn't playing at this time but I heard about a PvP tournament like that organized long ago. Even if this won't be a weekly event what about it being monthly ?

#7 Dragonlark

Dragonlark

Technically Minded

• Community Managers
  • 2738 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:12 AM

Unfortunately there are no plans for a GM or CM hosted PvP event for Dragon Saga at this time. It is something we have talked about, however due to several factors it isn't possible to have a fair tournament for everyone in this way. We do not have the resources at this time to run the tournament on multiple time zones, particularly in the time zones when most Dragon Saga players are currently active. There is also the issue of current class balancing, which is in the process of being worked on at this time. We would also have to adjust some in game features to allow for a proper zone or area for a tournament to take place, and currently the Dragon Saga team is focused on other in game updates. Should these factors change in the future we would definitely go back and revisit the possibility of a community event of this kind, however it is not something that is scheduled for the near future. 

#8 Onyzer

Onyzer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:37 AM

We would also have to adjust some in game features to allow for a proper zone or area for a tournament to take place

Why ? I was thinking about PvP room matchs and a tournament board available here on the forums. And people can send screenshots of the result of the match whenever they've done it. Or you can set a time for the matchs which would be something like 10am server saturday / sunday every week or so. Or you can organize different tournaments for the different time zones. Just suggesting things though, because I really think some PvP competition would be a great thing for the game.

#9 Precrush

Precrush

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:25 PM

There'd have to be systems for gear matchups to be more fair. If you wanna promote the skill > gear aspect, it'd have to give special Tournament rulings on attack vs defenses and factor in element attack vs resistances. Nobody would wanna join a tournament where their opponents are 100% finished on gears, maxed element cards, etc. when they could only muster about 50% of the gear.

A lot of people would want to join a tournament if they got something out of it, even if they were 100% to lose first round. That means you might get a similar lower geared person against you and have an exciting fight. Or you might get that stacked person and lose, tough luck, come back next week. Not perfect, but better than nothing. Also if semi-geared person has a 0% chance of winning against a fully geared person then there's something wrong with the stats in general. That's pretty close to being true, or at least the semi-geared person would've had to go with an unusual order of building, pretty much going for elements first. So that should be fixed anyway.

Not saying it's not a problem, just saying that those systems don't necessarily need to be in place for a tournament to be useful and potentially fun for anyone.

Sorry to disappoint you but we do not have any plans to implement a new/alternative PvP mode in the near future.

I did sort of expect that, think I've even read that before someplace. I highly recommend you at least explore the option though. I don't know how far you are with the tools, but with the limited man power combined with those difficulties producing pve content that would noticeably improve the playing experience for a long time is going to be hard. That'd basically mean a new proper boss with the current state of the game, the way I think anyway. I can't know but I would think a system like these pvp tournaments for example is achievable and has big potential upside.

If this kind of thing is not possible, what about a PvP tournament organized by the GMs ? I wasn't playing at this time but I heard about a PvP tournament like that organized long ago. Even if this won't be a weekly event what about it being monthly ?

I don't think CM or player run pvp events will ever do well. Here's the thought process behind that:

They take a lot of effort to set up -> they have to be a sort of special occasion -> special occasion means high expectations -> because pvp is busted special rulings would probably have to be used to even attempt to live up to the hype -> it would still most likely fall flat, and the special rules would only work to make it a mess.

An actual system in the game would become more of an ordinary thing, meaning less expectations, and be less effort to run consistently.

Edited by Precrush, 10 September 2017 - 07:26 PM.

#10 Popcorn

Popcorn

Woodie-Holic

• Dragon Saga Staff
  • 5559 posts
  • LocationGermany, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:30 PM

I did sort of expect that, think I've even read that before someplace. I highly recommend you at least explore the option though. I don't know how far you are with the tools, but with the limited man power combined with those difficulties producing pve content that would noticeably improve the playing experience for a long time is going to be hard. That'd basically mean a new proper boss with the current state of the game, the way I think anyway. I can't know but I would think a system like these pvp tournaments for example is achievable and has big potential upside.

I already said it several times: I am not a parrot that repeats itself over and over again. We are not planning to implement another PvP mode. Not now and not in the near future. The reason is that we won't implement another broken PvP system which is again cheated and exploited to death like EW and BSQ because of the same problems (ping, delays, server step times and many more) which do not magically disappear by adding a new PvP mode. I hope this is now clear enough.

#11 Precrush

Precrush

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:09 PM

I already said it several times: I am not a parrot that repeats itself over and over again. We are not planning to implement another PvP mode. Not now and not in the near future. The reason is that we won't implement another broken PvP system which is again cheated and exploited to death like EW and BSQ because of the same problems (ping, delays, server step times and many more) which do not magically disappear by adding a new PvP mode. I hope this is now clear enough.

If the alternative is lackluster pve content I think you should do it, despite all those problems. That's all I'm saying.

Further more, like some have pointed out doing pvp balance updates without any improvement to the underlying problems only works to agitate the community. But if you don't do the balance updates people will also get more and more annoyed over time. So it's a lose-lose. Pvp being more focused on 1v1s or other smaller scale battles would be healthier in that aspect: easier to balance around, and more balanced to begin with.

Heard you the first time, I knew it would't happen before I posted this. I do like to talk about things though...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users