Ragnarok Wisdom: Life in a MMORPG (Updated 06/23/19) - Page 3 - Creative Contraptions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Ragnarok Wisdom: Life in a MMORPG (Updated 06/23/19)

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#51 TrevMUN

TrevMUN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Twitter:RagnarokWisdom
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos, Loki

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:36 PM

Here's this week's comic!

Odin023-GettingSmashed.png

Also, I made some changes to last week's comic, because when I put it together I was so pressed for time that I left out some details. I had some help from Mai (AKA Maiko-chan) in getting the details I needed to fix that up!

#52 TrevMUN

TrevMUN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:28 PM

Odin024-Apupcalypse.png

For added effect, Rudolph Ravioli blared "I Miss You" from strategically placed loudspeakers.

If you don't cry tears of rage from the horde of yelping baby desert wolves, the song will get your eye juice a-flowin'.

#53 TrevMUN

TrevMUN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:06 AM

New one for the week!

Odin025-BowledOver.png

I had this all ready to go on Sunday but I had Internet trouble and couldn't get back online until today. Go figure. :sob:

It's only natural Sir Hawkeye would be rooting for the Philadelphia Eagles. As for Zelse ... uh ... someone give 'em some headpats before he floods all of Midgard. (Again.)

#54 TrevMUN

TrevMUN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:52 PM

Just another quick one!

Odin026-ChocolateyConsequences.png

On top of some other medical appointments, I actually did have some major dental work done today. Though I don't think candy is the culprit for my cavities ...

#55 Kiniro

Kiniro

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • Twitter:@KiniroTonada
  • LocationMemeGuild™ Valhalla
  • Server:Odin

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:23 AM

Some tortures are mental, some are physical, dentistry is both.

#56 TrevMUN

TrevMUN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:49 PM

This week's comic covers this year's Valentine's Day event!

Odin027-FasterThanFedEx.png

... Though I ran out of time again before I could get to shading the comic panels. :p_sick:

Some tortures are mental, some are physical, dentistry is both.

And medical bills are financial torture!  :p_cry:  I owe $2,000 for a CT scan ... but at least I've been able to finally confirm that I'm still cancer-free.

But the oncologist insists I need to get a CT scan every year ... :wah:

#57 TrevMUN

TrevMUN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:40 PM

I've been having bad luck with running out of time to upload a comic for the week before I can shade it, but here's another one!

Odin028-EmperiumEnVogue.png

Ragnarok Online might be well known as the premiere hat simulator among MMOs, but when it comes to the War of Emperium, fashion and even dignity takes a back seat to defense.

Kiniro suggested an idea that inspired this comic (though I went in a bit of a different direction) and Maiko-chan helped me verify some things, specifically when Gravity implemented certain content. Props, peeps!

#58 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:45 PM

But we're not allowed to have the original Rune Knight sprite.

#59 Kiniro

Kiniro

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:34 PM

I've been having bad luck with running out of time to upload a comic for the week before I can shade it, but here's another one!

Odin028-EmperiumEnVogue.png

Ragnarok Online might be well known as the premiere hat simulator among MMOs, but when it comes to the War of Emperium, fashion and even dignity takes a back seat to defense.

Kiniro suggested an idea that inspired this comic (though I went in a bit of a different direction) and Maiko-chan helped me verify some things, specifically when Gravity implemented certain content. Props, peeps!

No one know who I was until I put on the mask.... Woof.

#60 TrevMUN

TrevMUN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:56 PM

Here's a new one for the week!

Odin029-FauxFunklette.png

Gut Funk is so dead.

No one know who I was until I put on the mask.... Woof.

"Do you feel in charge? 'w' "

But we're not allowed to have the original Rune Knight sprite.

... You know, this explains why I haven't seen any gem-laden Rune Knights walking about in Chaos ... Whoops.

#61 GutFunk

GutFunk

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:44 AM

Little known fact: Oda's miracle elixir is actually paste @v@;;

#62 TrevMUN

TrevMUN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:55 PM

Hot off the presses! Literally.

Odin030-BurningDaylight.png

Worst. Alarm. Ever.

Little known fact: Oda's miracle elixir is actually paste @v@;;

Sourced from only the finest libraries!

#63 TrevMUN

TrevMUN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:56 PM

Here we go!

Odin031-TakoyakiTruth.png

In a fit of irony, I had this comic ready to go for St. Patrick's Day, but my router was drunk and so I was offline for most of the weekend. I just fixed my router issues.

I hope.

(Heimdallr still works here, right? Last I heard he's no longer a GM, but ... :wah: )

#64 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:37 AM

(Heimdallr still works here, right? Last I heard he's no longer a GM, but ... :wah: )

He's been promoted to a more administrative position that oversees GMs and CMs, so he barely has any presence in the forums anymore. Last time he was seen posting was around the time iRO2 opened up.

#65 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:50 PM

Yes I don't get to play on the forums as much anymore.  Glad the web comic is making a return!

#66 Kiniro

Kiniro

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:08 PM

Yes I don't get to play on the forums as much anymore. Glad the web comic is making a return!

Hi Heim!<3

#67 TrevMUN

TrevMUN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:03 AM

Hey gang,

I apologize for the sudden disappearance and lack of updates for the past month. It wasn't an April Fool's prank; I got hit with several things at once.

Of late I've been having more internet connection troubles, with my connection often dropping out and not letting me stay connected long enough to do much of anything. From what I can determine it's a router/ISP issue. (Comcast, need I say more?) However, I've also been contending with a bizarre rash of BSoDs that started right around the time I vanished. BSoDs are very rare for me; my desktop has been clocking in uptimes of half a year or more ever since 2012. I've been trying to diagnose the issue. In the middle of that I had a bit of a scare in which I thought I'd lost all my data on my hard drives, but thankfully that hasn't been the case and I'm working on updating my backups.

I've also had ominous news, and some really distressing news. I found out that I have a genetic defect which significantly raises the risk of several kinds of cancer. This has been a source of financial stress since it means I will have to set aside thousands of dollars each year just for screening. (My recent CT scan would have cost $17,000 had I not been insured at the time.) More than that, though, a family member has been diagnosed with a particularly virulent cancer. The cancer was not present in the previous screening under a year ago; not only has it spread quickly, it's already metastasized into other organs and bones. It's too late for treatment, and this cancer is due to run its course in a couple of months.

So I haven't exactly been in a good state of mind for the past month. I will try to get those comics up on the Ad Ultimum Network (and Twitter) once the dust from my router/computer issues settles.

Stay tuned.

#68 Kiniro

Kiniro

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:38 AM

Thanks for the update man. I was really starting to worry about you.

#69 TrevMUN

TrevMUN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:27 PM

Hey gang, an update on my situation:

So far things haven't been looking any rosier for me. With the help of RW castmate Suzuran and some other techie friends of mine, I tried to track down the cause of the random BSoDs and other program crashes that have plagued my machine since last month. After some extensive testing, I believe we finally tracked down the problem.

It wasn't an issue with the operating system. No hardware was failing per se; this was my biggest worry. Rather ... it seems that the RAM chips on my computer's motherboard came loose just enough to play havoc. Like with cartridge-based console games, if the chips aren't in proper contact with the motherboard you get some very erratic behavior. I wish it was spontaneous breakdancing instead of spontaneous breakdowns.

I found this out when I ran MemTest86+ and saw that the program was spewing tons of errors as it tested my RAM chips. However, when I tested each RAM chip (and each slot for RAM on my motherboard) extensively (and by this I mean at least 10 passes, more than is recommended by techies to determine if there is a problem) no issues came up. And no issues happened when I tested all four RAM chips together after putting them back in the motherboard. (Later, to make sure there was nothing going wrong with the CPU or power supply, Suzuran had me run a number-crunching program and again we saw no abnormalities.)

Now comes the bad news. Because the RAM was loose and putting out garbled data, any operation which involved writing data to my computer's hard drive has probably been messed up. The hard drives physically are perfectly fine, but the file system may be corrupt (Windows did detect this at least twice and fixed the issue with CHKDSK) and worse still, there may be files which have gone "missing" on said drives. This can even happen if you just access a file, Suzuran explained, since that updates the metadata and therefore means writing data.

It also means my attempts to back my system up may have been all for naught. The files may appear to be valid but may have a bunch of garbage data in them. Worse yet, I did not have time to do proper disk imaging of my main drive before I had to travel cross-country for a new job, so I have no recent backup to fall back on. I'm usually very good about redundant backups, but the past year has not been forgiving to me.

At Suzuran's direction (and agreement from my other techie friends) I wound up having to buy new hard drives entirely and reinstall everything. Putting aside the cost of having to buy entirely new drives, this was a bit of a challenge since most of my tech equipment is in Texas and I'm currently in California due to my job. It still is a bit of a challenge trying to get my rig back to the way she was before this happened. The process of copying back over my drive data and verifying that everything is intact is going to take a lot of time.

Of course, this also means that Ragnarok Wisdom is going to still be on hold for now, considering I don't even know if my files have been garbaged by this BS or how many. (Suzuran and my other techie friends have varying prognoses for this, with Suzuran having the most pessimistic outlook on what's happened to my files compared to the other guys.)

I may try to pop on Ragnarok Online and Re:START to say goodbye to our European brohams before the great split happens (again) but that's assuming the files for those games are intact. We'll see.

#70 TrevMUN

TrevMUN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 09:49 PM

That was a longer break than I wanted ... But I'm back in time for the anniversary at least!

Odin034-NotSoSweetSixteen.png

So I already covered pretty extensively what happened that kept me away, but for most of May and June I had been testing the integrity of my RAM's modules before I could even think about checking to make sure the files on my (now previous) main hard drive were intact. And then in July ... well, that family crisis took a turn for the worse, to put it lightly. Most of the past two months have been me trying to keep abreast of my new assignment and other life adjustments, such as having to relocate to a new roomshare. Simply put I've not really had any solid footing to sit down and make sure my data's okay, at least until this most recent week.

There's two Odin-series comics I had been working on which I had meant to upload besides these. Can't really promise anything but I'm going to try and get that squared away.

And now I'm going to do something about this cake in my hair. If you'll excuse me ...

#71 TrevMUN

TrevMUN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:35 PM

Here's another update!

Odin035-Neckbreakers.png

For Saint Damien, home is where the head is. Assuming he can fit through that tiny door.

Also, if you check back at some of the comics I had to upload without finishing the coloring job, I've gone back and fixed them. I didn't bother updating about it here, though I did on Twitter. I'll be going back and updating last year's Halloween and Thanksgiving comics some time this October and November respectively, in addition to the comics planned for those times!

#72 TrevMUN

TrevMUN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:40 PM

Got another one for this week!

Odin036-HuemungusChanges.png

In light of the reorganization putting bRO under Warp Portal's jurisdiction. It might not exactly be a merger per se, but after the events of May it still feels kind of like everyone's favorite random swordsman has been shaking things up a bit more.

#73 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:27 PM

Ever consider going Patreon to help with medical costs? https://www.patreon.com/

I'm sure there's still fans here willing to help out financially.

#74 TrevMUN

TrevMUN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:16 PM

Ever consider going Patreon to help with medical costs? https://www.patreon.com/

I'm sure there's still fans here willing to help out financially.

Well ... Back when I was initially diagnosed there were some people who asked me to make a GoFundMe or that medical crowdfunding equivalent so they could help. I didn't feel right about it, though ... I didn't think it was right to take money like that without having something to show for it. If I were able to keep up with regular updates to Ragnarok Wisdom it'd be justifiable, at least to me.

Maybe once I'm back in the swing of things, and if I can get the site a proper overhaul (again) I'll think about it ... I've been trying to find other ways to cut down on medical costs, if I can.

#75 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:15 PM

Well ... Back when I was initially diagnosed there were some people who asked me to make a GoFundMe or that medical crowdfunding equivalent so they could help. I didn't feel right about it, though ... I didn't think it was right to take money like that without having something to show for it. If I were able to keep up with regular updates to Ragnarok Wisdom it'd be justifiable, at least to me.

Maybe once I'm back in the swing of things, and if I can get the site a proper overhaul (again) I'll think about it ... I've been trying to find other ways to cut down on medical costs, if I can.

If you're not too keen on having your fans pay monthly or by the upload, there's also Ko-fi which is more like a tip jar kind of deal. https://ko-fi.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users