Simple anti-bot system [100% work] - Proposals and Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Simple anti-bot system [100% work]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 ZolpidemSleep

ZolpidemSleep

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:47 PM

A captcha. For those who are familiar with the captcha system, we have that type of system in a majority of registering websites. It's a way to avoid bot users. What the captcha does is authenticate an account by generating random, so you have to be an human to give the correct 'captcha'. What I suggest every time you log-in you have to answer the captcha to be able to play (The staff can think of different business rules in this system). The captcha would consist of a field that you have to type correctly.

Business Rules examples:

For example, if the person doesn't put the correct captcha in atleast 1/2/3 minutes they get kicked from the server, 3/4/5 tries. The captcha can freeze the person in place till they answer it or not. The business rules can optimize whatever is best for the server. The captcha may or may not include numeric and upper case.

I stand strongly with this suggestion that it will be the end of majority of bots. They would need a really advanced bot to bypass this system.

PROS:

End of auto-connect bots

Simple to develop

CONS:

A 30 second~ time waste every time you log in a character to type the captcha

Edited by ZolpidemSleep, 05 November 2017 - 01:06 PM.

#2 CodeJerry

CodeJerry

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:36 PM

Captcha is probably a waste of time. Since it wouldn't take long for them to figure out a solution. The problem with captcha is they get access to the interface and can manipulate it. Google started a better system where its invisible so most botters don't know where to start and it doesn't annoy people. I mean with captcha's really are a placebo. The only way to get rid of gold sellers is by removing trading just look at major games today they don't allow trading.. and the ones that do suffer from bots just like RO.

Here's solution

-Remove all trading

-sell all zeny yourself from the game. (you cant just do one of them)

which is exactly what 100% of mobile games do and even modern games. You can still have a fun game without trading I mean look at hearthstone ITS A TRADING CARD GAME without trading. They pulled it off and its hugely successful.

Edited by CodeJerry, 05 November 2017 - 07:42 PM.

#3 TamarisART

TamarisART

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:55 PM

A 30 second~ time waste every time you log in a character to type the captcha

And when i log in to a fild/dungeon while mobs are around?

#4 Stephcake

Stephcake

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1041 posts
  • Twitter:stephstiel
  • LocationUK
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Odin

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:17 AM

Imo, the best idea so far was to make account creation itself a lot harder. Add phone verification and don't allow google or skype numbers, for example.

#5 ZolpidemSleep

ZolpidemSleep

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:58 AM

And when i log in to a fild/dungeon while mobs are around?

That's why freeze urself while ur captcha window still open. I agree it's a boring price we have to deal with to get rid of a huge chunk of bots. There is no solution to remove them without affecting your gameplay somehow.

The phone idea is not so bad aswell. It can prevent bot registering multiple accounts at once.

Imo, the best idea so far was to make account creation itself a lot harder. Add phone verification and don't allow google or skype numbers, for example.

Edited by ZolpidemSleep, 06 November 2017 - 08:03 AM.

#6 Navy

Navy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:30 AM

Not to kill your idea, sure it may work against a small portion of it, but Bot owners will just log them manually and have them resume afterward. At some point Chinese gold farmers were actual people playing (Labor is truly cheap), so it's not like they can't go back to that.

#7 ZolpidemSleep

ZolpidemSleep

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:43 AM

Not to kill your idea, sure it may work against a small portion of it, but Bot owners will just log them manually and have them resume afterward. At some point Chinese gold farmers were actual people playing (Labor is truly cheap), so it's not like they can't go back to that.

Indeed. But it makes their job harder. It's a barrier, we will still have that single bot that someone left there, but 30 bots logging at once? That won't happen. It's easier for staff to handle those who resume bots after captcha, and they don't even need to ban them. Kick them and make them repeat the process of doing captcha is a fast way to handle it.

#8 Bazzz

Bazzz

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:17 PM

bots as far back as classic runescape 2003 we're able to do captchas which is why they stopped doing it since the bot was better than the real players at doing it.

and you have to remember that the vast majority of botters all use the same program here so as soon as that program is updated every bot is back at the same time in 2 days normally. 

Edited by Bazzz, 06 November 2017 - 06:21 PM.

#9 ZolpidemSleep

ZolpidemSleep

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:30 PM

bots as far back as classic runescape 2003 we're able to do captchas which is why they stopped doing it since the bot was better than the real players at doing it.

and you have to remember that the vast majority of botters all use the same program here so as soon as that program is updated every bot is back at the same time in 2 days normally. 

It's not easy to break captcha with a script. But like someone stated, they can log-in manually and resume bot. But doing that with 30 bot accounts you see how painful that is right? They can run tests atleast one day with captcha system and compare how effective it is either way. Even google states that the most effective way against bots is captcha, but they have the advanced one. The advanced is that one that for example you have a picture and it tells you to select pictures that contain cars, and so on. They always innovate to break auto bots that register fake accounts, and it works. Believe it or not, but the captcha system is more effective than any shield system, because it's easy to fool a shielding program scripting a new bot than it is to fool captcha. It's not impossible but tougher.

Edit: Did you see the system they had with pin code storage? That system made safe storage from hackers for example.

Edited by ZolpidemSleep, 06 November 2017 - 07:41 PM.

#10 Amongluttony

Amongluttony

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1649 posts
  • Server:Elitists player

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:16 PM

Yeah is the only real solution i read in this forums since years.

#11 Bazzz

Bazzz

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:50 PM

If you know anything about the most common bot program which is being used by probably 95% of people you'll know it doesn't work on thRO phRO, so the only solution is to use their anti-cheat. Every other sever has tried everything else but they are all bypassed.

They did talk about getting thROs anti-cheat months ago but have since not mentioned it and less players play now meaning they make less money than back then then, it's safe to say the bots we have now will forever be like this on the server and everyone just has to live with it or join in.

Edited by Bazzz, 06 November 2017 - 09:55 PM.

#12 Exvee

Exvee

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1777 posts
  • LocationZaius (Magma Fire)
  • Server:Chaos/Odin

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:51 PM

It's not easy to break captcha with a script. But like someone stated, they can log-in manually and resume bot. But doing that with 30 bot accounts you see how painful that is right? They can run tests atleast one day with captcha system and compare how effective it is either way. Even google states that the most effective way against bots is captcha, but they have the advanced one. The advanced is that one that for example you have a picture and it tells you to select pictures that contain cars, and so on. They always innovate to break auto bots that register fake accounts, and it works. Believe it or not, but the captcha system is more effective than any shield system, because it's easy to fool a shielding program scripting a new bot than it is to fool captcha. It's not impossible but tougher.

Edit: Did you see the system they had with pin code storage? That system made safe storage from hackers for example.

You obviously don't know how RO bot programs working and what they can do. We don't advise you to use bots, but learning a bit about bots by browsing will open your eyes about how fragile RO servers are... (in a good way, ragial existed because of this)

Captcha for RO in private servers or customized like idRO are not the same one developed by google and it's easily bypassed/guessed.... This is not first time captcha was suggested but we veteran players are convinced that unless it's developed so well in google's level, captcha will never solve bot problems and hurt real players instead....

#13 heickelrrx

heickelrrx

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • Server:Valkriye

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:11 AM

idRO already try to use captha system for it's revo server, they even modify some map to make the not safe of logoff

it was one of bot mitigation but in reality, it more hurt to real human.

I think some of us are familiar with bot program, and they have a feature to bypass this (I won't tell any detail about this, and I bet WP staff already know what I mean), which make most system modify bot mitigation are ineffective and often miss it's target

on idRO case bot barely affected, instead applying captha and not safe log off map make more stress on grinding for real player, and at the end they decided to remove those anti bot feature

recently idRO open a new fresh Renewal server Codename : Valhalla, and this server not applying such thing, they have concluded that captha and non safe logoff map are ineffective and really effective to reduce playerbase 

the thing is these bot issues aren't caused only by individuals, small company and big company also doing bot on Ragnarok Server worldwide,

Edited by heickelrrx, 07 November 2017 - 03:13 AM.

#14 Bazzz

Bazzz

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:19 AM

It would have been better if wp from 8 weeks or so of this server opening when it was most popular they purchased thRO/phROs anti-bot. 

But the thing is now as more people get annoyed at bots they quit wp makes less money so over time it becomes less and less of something they'd consider investing in. At the same time wp have had a bot problem for 15 years or w/e so they know there core base will play and pay regardless. 

So from their point of view ( and i dont mean the GM staff or VMs, i mean corporate ) why bother fixing the bots, would that really lead to enough extra sales to justify paying for 3rd party software? Are a lot more people really going to give them a ton more money by having it? Obviously not or they'd invest in it.

This is just how iRO will always be. 

#15 toastbr0t

toastbr0t

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:04 AM

I mean look at hearthstone ITS A TRADING CARD GAME without trading. They pulled it off and its hugely successful.

this must be one of the stupidest posts i've seen on here as of this date

#16 ZolpidemSleep

ZolpidemSleep

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:47 PM

You obviously don't know how RO bot programs working and what they can do. We don't advise you to use bots, but learning a bit about bots by browsing will open your eyes about how fragile RO servers are... (in a good way, ragial existed because of this)

Captcha for RO in private servers or customized like idRO are not the same one developed by google and it's easily bypassed/guessed.... This is not first time captcha was suggested but we veteran players are convinced that unless it's developed so well in google's level, captcha will never solve bot problems and hurt real players instead....

The ones I studied does some pixel reading + macro and auto connect if disconnect. If you can please elaborate if I'm missing more features. A captcha is generated randomly on the screen, the bots can work so far with predicted answers, like job change quests cause they know what to answer. But captcha? How they can answer something that is generated right when you log in? Not impossible to code something that would bypass, but trust me, HARD. I agree, ragnarok is an old game, never saw this type of captcha system anywhere though. What I really don't know how shielding program for RO works. I wonder if they have an AI that detects from behaviour, connection, or all at once. Like some automatic investigation on every account that logs in. If they fish possible IP's, virtual machines, etc. I can't even begin to imagine how extensive is the code to make that AI work against botters and 3rd party users. Now making a bot is easy, any 10 year old kid can code it.

Edited by ZolpidemSleep, 09 November 2017 - 11:05 PM.

#17 xepherian

xepherian

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Odin

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:14 PM

but i've already seen bots break captcha. i'm more in tune with the phone validation system, but i think that would realistically be lightyears away

let's adapt the korea method and require our SSNs to register to play (sorry international players, ur out) /s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users