RO on Chrome OS? - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

RO on Chrome OS?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chimang

Chimang

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:16 AM

just got an acer chrome book as a gift, was wondering if ro could somehow be played on chrome os?

#2 VModCinnamon

VModCinnamon

Tranquility

• VMod Retired
  • 16663 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:33 AM

As far as I know, Ragnarok Online requires Windows based OS. You may try running it through remote desktop apps.

#3 TrevMUN

TrevMUN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Twitter:RagnarokWisdom
  • Server:Chaos, Loki

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:08 AM

I was curious about this myself, so I went poking around.

There's CrossOver, which can run Windows apps on Mac, Linux, and ChromeOS. However, it looks like you've got to fork over a bit of money if you want to go that route. The Mac/Linux/ChromeOS versions of CrossOver are separate products that must be purchased individually, though if you have only the Chromebook to worry about that may not be an issue. Still, unless you see yourself using a lot of Windows apps on your Chromebook, I'm not sure I'd recommend getting this.

An alternative, if you don't mind getting your hands dirty and you're familiar with this sort of thing or you know people who are, would be to install GalliumOS on your Chromebook. Linux has some open source compatibility layers for Windows programs such as WINE, so at least this way you wouldn't have to pay a cent. I don't know how easy it would be to install GalliumOS on your machine; Linux has a "some assembly required" reputation, but some versions are more user-friendly than others.

#4 Chimang

Chimang

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:00 AM

I tried Crossover Codeweavers with 30 day free trial but couldn't find iro installer, I did however found a europeRO installer but they are only on episode 14.3. Is there anyway to install Linux without voiding warranty? 

#5 TrevMUN

TrevMUN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Twitter:RagnarokWisdom
  • Server:Chaos, Loki

Posted 16 March 2018 - 01:44 PM

Does your warranty say you can't install any other operating systems on your Chromebook? That seems a bit strange to me, but as I tend to custom-build my machines I haven't dealt with warranties involving a whole machine.

I wouldn't know how to proceed past this, but I know it's possible to dual boot operating systems, so if you're unsure you want to use GalliumOS over ChromeOS, you always have the option. I think GalladiumOS's manual also talks about ways to revert back to ChromeOS even if you replace it entirely with GalliumOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users