Pet System Overhaul - No Nonsense - Proposals and Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Pet System Overhaul - No Nonsense

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:23 PM

Hello!

First of all I want to mention that I was motivated to make this suggestion by a user expressing their difficulties with the pet system.

I want to start off by providing context, I have saved my suggestions for the end.

Why do users want pets?

They provide various benefits to support combat (examples)

• Goblin Leader - Increases damage to Demi-Human monsters by 3%
  • Incubus - Max SP +5%, May leech 1% of the damage as SP
  • Marionette - May activate (Neutral Resistance +20, 100 HP Regen/2 sec) for 3 seconds when physically attacked
  • Nightmare Terror - Sleep Resistance +100%
  • Scatleton - Increases the recovery rate of Fresh Fish by 100%
  • Succubus - May leech 5% of the damage as HP
  • Tikbalang - Damage to Bakonawa, Bangungot, and Buwaya +10%

They want to compliment their aesthetic with cute monsters (they look cute, examples)

1630.png1370.png1765.png1275.png1107.png1505.png1631.png1416.png

They have a favorite monster that they want to be able to see while they play

• I don't have much to add here. Personally my favorite monster is Moonlight Flower / Cat O' Ninetails.

As it is right now, this is how pets work

• Hunger rate for every pet is different
  • Each feeding will increase pet's hunger level by 20
  • Each feeding will decrease pet's intimacy by 100 when overfed
  • A pet’s intimacy decreases by 20 points when its owner dies
  • If a pet is starving, its intimacy decreases by 20 every 20 seconds
  • Intimacy doesn't decrease when a pet is returned to its egg

A pet is given a random number of intimacy points between 100 and 399 when it's first hatched. The higher level the pet is, the less intimacy it will begin with. Feeding a pet increases its intimacy relative to its level and hunger; higher level pets get less intimacy per feeding, and vice versa.

What isn't working.

1) Hunger rate and starvation are massive deterrents to utilizing the content. Its no surprise that users in RO like to afk in town with their friends. If you have a loyal pet and afk for 15 minutes, it will run away. If you don't have a loyal pet and forget to put it in the egg, it might run away in the time it takes you to go to the bathroom.

2) Dying affecting loyalty deters players from using pets in combat situations, which is their primary use case. Losing 20 loyalty might not seem like a big deal, but if you have a high level pet, it can take several feeds (in optimal feeding range) to regain that lost intimacy. Put simply, by dying, players might lose 30 minutes to 1 hour of feeding their pet.

3) There is too much babysitting. In order to keep a pet functioning you need to constantly be focusing on the pet's emotes and dialogues to let you know when to feed it. This distracts from the actual game. Personally, when I level I am trying to dispatch as many monsters as possible in the shortest amount of time. I don't want to pause every 2 minutes to feed a pet.

4) Catalyst items are the bane of player's existence. I don't think anyone wants to carry around more junk in their inventory than they have to. Pets require incubators and food (lots of it). Nobody likes when skills require this, gemstones, elemental stones, points, bullets, arrows, cannonballs, fuel, paint, paintbrushes, throat lozenge, acid bottles, thorn seeds, blood suckers, flower pots, (and I'm sure many others). Its really annoying to restock on basic stuff like that and weigh down your character with catalysts.

Opportunities to improve & incentive to do so.

1) Removing hunger and feeding will be a tremendous step toward a useful and accessible pet system. Players will be able to idle in town without fear of losing their pet. By now, I don't think it will shock any executives to find out that players like to afk in town and look cute. Having a cute pet is something players can get to improve their experience while hanging out in town. A lot of people like to roleplay, and a pet follower can unlock more scenarios for the imagination to explore. Removing hunger and feeding will also resolve the problems with unwanted catalyst items in inventory. I do not think "Pet Hunger Bars" is a real solution to this problem. It is equally tedious and doesn't address all of the other problems listed above.

2) Remove harsh combat penalties for dying while using a pet. It doesn't make sense that a pet would become less loyal to you because you died. If you die, just let the pet stand there and do /sob or something. Dying sets players back hours of idle feeding which can be very discouraging to use the pet at all. Very few people desire to be stressed out by babysitting every 2-3 minutes over a few small % of leech or damage reduction, as there are very few use-cases where it is even remotely necessary. Pets are a luxury buff, much like shadow gear. They don't make the biggest difference but they are nice to have. If shadow gear required maintenance, I wouldn't use that either. Maintenance =/= Gameplay.

3) Pets can have some pretty cool effects (see examples above). Much like shadow gear, these pets can further expand the potential of players to succeed in combat or hunting situations. Think of pets like a piece of gear. If Gravity can make the pet system more accessible, they can launch new; stronger pets that will really open up the possibilities for players. For example, the Faceworm Egg Shell [1] gives 50% more damage and 50% reduction to monsters in the Faceworm Instance. What if you could tame a Faceworm monster from the instance that also granted an additional 10% damage or 10% reduction?

4) Keep loyalty, but make pets more loyal based on how much you use them. For example, your pet could gain 1 loyalty per hour of being used. Then you could tack on cool thresholds (similar to +9 requirements) where at different intimacy levels, the pet's passive gets stronger.

5) More products to sell. Nobody wants to pay $20 and get pet tames, then have your pet run away for some frustratingly annoying reason. Take away the risk of loss, throw on some luxury benefits and some cute pet costumes and suddenly you have a solid offering to include in boxes. These pets can be the latest thing to push builds to the next level.

If you made it this far, THANK YOU FOR READING!! My goal is to fully outline the situation so that WP will have something they can point to as an example as to why this change can be hugely beneficial both for their business and their customers. If you have any thoughts on the pet system (aside from 'its never gonna happen') please post them so that WP can have more sentiments to share in their meetings.

Edited by Scuba, 09 October 2018 - 03:42 PM.

#2 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:46 PM

(Saving spot for other pet-related suggestions)

Random pet effect ideas:

Element Damage Effects:

Spoiler

Racial Damage Effects:

Spoiler

Size Damage Effects:

Spoiler

Edited by Scuba, 09 October 2018 - 04:35 PM.

#3 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:14 PM

1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. I don't agree with custom pets, there are plenty in existence and could use some fixing up on the count that half of them don't work
  4. Loyalty bonuses were a thing once, based on their loyalty level, I honestly think that loyalty should be based on a experience based system
  5. Having pets run away is annoying, but you know what's more annoying? Pre-owned pets where the name cannot be changed, there is an easy way to fix this.

I also think that equipping a pets accessory should come with a bonus other than just looking visually different.

#4 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9327 posts
  • LocationBehind you?
  • Server:Chaos- Renewal

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:02 PM

Eh, suggested a way we could get more pets, it got kinda ignored though. So eh...

#5 fuyukikun

fuyukikun

Disney Prince in Disguise

• Members
  • 12269 posts
  • LocationIndonesia
  • Server:Chaos, on hiatus

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:32 PM

I prefer if we can get more pets even tho they have no effect. I want to be followed around by octopus tentacle.

#6 YongkySH

YongkySH

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4118 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:36 PM

More mvp pets pls

#7 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:42 PM

As for official pets, there are still so many we are missing, including two MVP ones (Moonlight Flower and Phreeoni).

I really wish we could just get a big update in addition to an overhaul of this system.

#8 fuyukikun

fuyukikun

• Members
  • 12269 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:34 PM

moonlight and phreeoni is also part of pet evolution update

#9 ChaoticRK

ChaoticRK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3228 posts
  • Locationprt_fild08
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:20 AM

1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. I don't agree with custom pets, there are plenty in existence and could use some fixing up on the count that half of them don't work
  4. Loyalty bonuses were a thing once, based on their loyalty level, I honestly think that loyalty should be based on a experience based system
  5. Having pets run away is annoying, but you know what's more annoying? Pre-owned pets where the name cannot be changed, there is an easy way to fix this.

I also think that equipping a pets accessory should come with a bonus other than just looking visually different.

3. I do think that what exist on kRO is already a-ok.

4. Loyalty is already fine. Most effects are already useless to be worth an effect for loyalty bonus.

5. This should be addressed. Not removing the feeding a pet because that would make the word pet useless.

#10 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:46 PM

1. I don't agree with custom pets, there are plenty in existence and could use some fixing up on the count that half of them don't work
  2. Loyalty bonuses were a thing once, based on their loyalty level, I honestly think that loyalty should be based on a experience based system
  3. Having pets run away is annoying, but you know what's more annoying? Pre-owned pets where the name cannot be changed, there is an easy way to fix this.

I guess I don't have the benefit of knowing what is coming down the pipe as far as what pets may be available. Researching that stuff would just discourage me to find out all the stuff we don't have.  But I think if they were to release new pets with cool benefits they would have to have better effects than what the majority of pets offer right now (+1 stat here, 100 HP there, nobody is busting out their wallet for that). I like the idea of loyalty bonuses, but I wasn't sure what kind of system would be possible. While experience would be a nice system (because people can level faster if they are good) it sounds a lot more complex on paper. It would be super cool if there was a pet that had different effects depending on its accessory, but again not sure the complexity of doing that.

moonlight and phreeoni is also part of pet evolution update

Moonlight /rice. Not familiar with the pet evolution update though.

3. I do think that what exist on kRO is already a-ok.

4. Loyalty is already fine. Most effects are already useless to be worth an effect for loyalty bonus.

5. This should be addressed. Not removing the feeding a pet because that would make the word pet useless.

Not sure what exists on kRO. Loyalty doesn't really do anything right now except for emotes. Im pretty sure you get the effects all the time. I don't think removing feeding would make "pet" an invalid description. If so I'd rather have a "follower" than a "pet" if terminology is an actual issue. I don't think anybody enjoys feeding a "pet". Its 100% a chore. I want to play video games, not do chores. A pet is a non-human companion that you own, a pet is not defined as "creature that you have to feed" there is more to it than that.

Edited by Scuba, 10 October 2018 - 02:47 PM.

#11 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:49 PM

I guess I don't have the benefit of knowing what is coming down the pipe as far as what pets may be available. Researching that stuff would just discourage me to find out all the stuff we don't have.  But I think if they were to release new pets with cool benefits they would have to have better effects than what the majority of pets offer right now (+1 stat here, 100 HP there, nobody is busting out their wallet for that). I like the idea of loyalty bonuses, but I wasn't sure what kind of system would be possible. While experience would be a nice system (because people can level faster if they are good) it sounds a lot more complex on paper. It would be super cool if there was a pet that had different effects depending on its accessory, but again not sure the complexity of doing that.

Moonlight /rice. Not familiar with the pet evolution update though.

Not sure what exists on kRO. Loyalty doesn't really do anything right now except for emotes. Im pretty sure you get the effects all the time. I don't think removing feeding would make "pet" an invalid description. If so I'd rather have a "follower" than a "pet" if terminology is an actual issue. I don't think anybody enjoys feeding a "pet". Its 100% a chore. I want to play video games, not do chores. A pet is a non-human companion that you own, a pet is not defined as "creature that you have to feed" there is more to it than that.

Pet Evolution update is old but really awesome. Hoping we get it soon @_@

#12 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:02 PM

Zherlthsh Doll
Class: Headgear
Position: Upper
Defense: 0
Weight: 0
MDef + 5
Reduces Damage Received from Boss Type Monsters by 10%
Zherlthsh Doll
Zherlthsh Egg
Reduces Damage Received from Boss Type Monsters by 5%
If pet is friendly or higher
Reduces Damage Received from Boss Type Monsters by 5%
Become resistant to Knockback Effects

Catherina's Pawn Brand
Class: Headgear
Position: Upper
Defense: 0
Weight: 30
Restores 500 HP when a monster is killed
Restores 50 SP when a monster is killed
Catherina's Pawn Brand
Succubus Egg
Increases HP Recovery + 500
Increases SP Recovery + 20
If pet is Cordial
Increases HP Recovery + 500 further
Increases SP Recovery + 20 further

These are so cool!

Edited by Scuba, 10 October 2018 - 04:02 PM.

#13 fuyukikun

fuyukikun

• Members
  • 12269 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:57 PM

https://www.divine-p...-pet-evolution/

Pet Evo info on DP.

if you cant access, make an account first.

#14 carlczel

carlczel

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:10 AM

my homunculie pet starves but not run away in loyal state. is it bug?hunger is 1 for maybe 2 hours.

#15 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:22 AM

homunculi =/= pet

#16 ChaoticRK

ChaoticRK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3228 posts
  • Locationprt_fild08
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 15 October 2018 - 06:35 PM

I'm excited with Pet Evo as well but they should implement the QoLs first. It would be frustrating to suffer a pet running away and it's an evolved version.

#17 DrArthur

DrArthur

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:33 PM

Pets shouldn't run away period. Why this was even a thing at any point I've no idea. Such a stupid mechanic.

Losing loyalty on death is also moronic especially when you factor in how brutal it is. 3% EXP loss for master on death is nothing compared to the brutal loyalty loss if the pet, a freaking novelty feature that has minor uses at best, gets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users