A (somewhat rage filled) plight of a semi-new player from steam - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

A (somewhat rage filled) plight of a semi-new player from steam

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#1 1477190511155259560

I am New.

• New Members
  • 5 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Yes

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:50 PM

Okay so after fighting the very website itself to even log into the forums... (Seriously, they need to make it so it says "Account needs verification" instead of "Account info incorrect".)

I can now talk of my little new player's plight.

Hello, I'm that myth, a new player growing in the game.

...On Thor Server. (Chaos server was 90% bots and afk people, I couldn't navigate ANYTHING with how blockaded Eden and Prontera were...)

I've spent about a week leveling and currently am attempting job advancement to Dancer. Buffs and Debuffs interested me.

However, I was clearly not prepared for the hardest task of this, a simple observation if you will.

Are people in this game's community outright incapable of social interaction of any kind?

I don't think I've seen anyone talk or communicate once. Ever.

Closest thing to communication I got was someone spamming emotes near me while I was resting at Orc Village.

They invited me to a party, but apparently the thought of stating what the party was even for was a myth to them.

I know it might scare some of you, but you can talk by pressing enter, typing something, and pressing enter again.

This little fact is tied to my plight you see.

The dancer quest gives 1 of 3 random tasks. 2 of them aren't hard and reasonable.

I didn't get those. I got the 3rd.

So lo and behold, here I am going on a suicide mission to get 10 black hairs from the Super Spoopy Payon Death Cave, but not just any part of the cave, but the 4th level of that hell.

(Are dancers meant to be capable of fighting off demons while giving stage performances??? I get that its an advancement quest but this still seems very bizarre lore wise.)

So what I need is help.

Help even reaching the 4th floor of Payon cave without getting outright swarmed by those annoying hopping undead and bone archers for the 10th time.

I can only be shredded so many times before the potion fund gets low.

Hopefully someone can spend even a trivial amount of time helping out, and maybe give me a better first impression of the community.

(I'm sure you all are nice people, but good lord the endless silence can get frustrating.)

#2 andxres

andxres

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 814 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:00 PM

Chaos is more active than you think. I don't understand why do you play on there.

#3 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:05 PM

Chaos is more active than you think. I don't understand why do you play on there.

He says why.

...On Thor Server. (Chaos server was 90% bots and afk people, I couldn't navigate ANYTHING with how blockaded Eden and Prontera were...)

The game is pretty unforgiving early on. My best advice is teleporting to level 4 using flywings. Silver arrows will help you kill undead monsters easier with double strafe. You can get them from a tool dealer right outside payon cave. Thor's economy seems like it would be pretty bad due to the small population. Most people from there have been ported over from Thailand I think? So I assume these are mostly long-established accounts that solo pretty much everything. Thats kind of how Chaos is as well, but you can still find some good parties if you go to Eden and join the TI through Gramps behind the front desk.

Edited by Scuba, 15 May 2019 - 09:08 PM.

#4 canon019

canon019

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:05 PM

Arrow Shower if get mobbed

#5 YongkySH

YongkySH

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4118 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:07 PM

Best bet is to start new on Chaos

Also for the blockade on Eden and Prontera

ctrl+F11 -> hide chats

shift+F11 -> hide shops

Edited by YongkySH, 15 May 2019 - 09:10 PM.

#6 1477190511155259560

I am New.

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:07 PM

Both servers showed the same amount of life visually. (AKA Zero Chat/Very little movement)

So Thor is the same as Chaos except I can actually walk in Eden Office and Pronterra without internally screaming at the massive wall of player statues blocking sight of everything.

#7 blackCROSSCY

blackCROSSCY

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1864 posts
  • LocationSG
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:08 PM

yes, you totally should be playing on chaos. It is where you wil actually find people to play with. If you just started its not too late to start on chaos again.

The player "statues" are signs of there actually being players available.

Edited by blackCROSSCY, 15 May 2019 - 09:08 PM.

#8 1477190511155259560

I am New.

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:10 PM

He says why.

The game is pretty unforgiving early on. My best advice is teleporting to level 4 using flywings.

Yeah I noticed. Thanks for the actual tip/reminder though.

Very easy to not notice how useful fly wings can be as a new player.

#9 Scrappy51

Scrappy51

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationShattered Space of Loneliness
  • Server:Not Found

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:26 PM

if you play thor hangaround eden kitchen and look for someone with kineass on his name, or anyone from kindness guild,

they help newbies 

#10 Icarus05

Icarus05

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1051 posts
  • LocationPhilippines
  • Server:thor during woe

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:58 AM

find kineass around night time, he was there helping newbies. (i want to recommend to you to my guild but people who help newbs on my guild is currently inactive)

#11 ninJedi

ninJedi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1240 posts
  • LocationPH: I don't wanna disconnect, Mr.Smart
  • Server:Thor

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:46 AM

There's also a bunch of helpful people in payon town(aside from me) if you luckily come by at a time that they aren't afk lol

Just don't be afraid to say hi to check.

Some of them already have wanderers too if you're looking for help with build advice

Edited by ninJedi, 16 May 2019 - 07:56 AM.

#12 BlackMeow

BlackMeow

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2929 posts
  • LocationTree
  • Server:Both

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:56 AM

pm me for a free 10m for basic needs 

#13 Boyeteers

Boyeteers

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3545 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:30 AM

Believe me bruh. When I first started playin in Chaos, I begged some items to random ppls too coz I lost hope playing and it’s brutal to start as a newbie as nobody talks to you and they even kick you out of the pt coz you’re weak. Until eventually I was forced to buy sumthin like lucky groove packs and paid for $$$ even though I don’t want to. Then ppls low ball you as well.

#14 ninJedi

ninJedi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1240 posts
  • LocationPH: I don't wanna disconnect, Mr.Smart
  • Server:Thor

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:39 PM

Seems more like you just met the wrong kind of people, mr.Boy

But then again, putting yourself in others' shoes, you would probably also feel a bit bothered if the first thing a random stranger told you was "gimme ur stuff", and that's part of natural rational behavior to be wary of people you're not familiar with.

Although it's ok to ask for help from kind people, relying on them for everything is counter-productive imho

But the mentality of "this person is weak so let's kick him" is disgusting tho and really self-centered, unless it's for high-cut 'every detail must be perfect' stuff.

#15 LordYggdrasill

LordYggdrasill

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2830 posts
  • LocationWelgaia

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:53 PM

The problem with helping ppls who ask for items/zeny is that, it’s not easy to know if it’s truly a newbie who desperately need support, or a scammer trying to take advantage of your kindness. I am willing to help newbies if I can confirm they are truly newbies, it is possible to tell after you actually go to party with them. Thsre were a lot of true newbies from janeway events and it was a good experience. Also the attitude matters, ‘Cause to receive help/donation is a privilege not a right, I ain’t interested in helping an impolite and arrogant ppl.

Edited by LordYggdrasill, 16 May 2019 - 12:54 PM.

#16 Keith

Keith

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:05 PM

Let me chime in on a few things here.

First, Welcome to Ragnarok Online!  I see that you've chosen Thor as a server.  I will agree with what many of the others have posted here that the server population there is not so adequate if you are looking for more active population.

With that being said I would also recommend moving to Chaos.  Restarting as an archer isn't so difficult and there are plenty of untapped things you haven't learned about yet or have yet to realize.  The game is grossly confusing in both good and bad ways.  There are many things to consider depending on if you are a VIP or non-VIP player.  Also plenty of tips and tricks and help if you can get to communicate.

Let me start by saying that many low level players do not formulate parties and do most of their content on their own.  The game does not have much of a curve that forces people into party matching at 1-1 jobs.  Most of these people will find higher level players that are willing to help them through a challenging job quest.  Or they will move into a guild of sorts that promotes casual play.  If you join a guild and no one is ever active, most likely you are in some alt or defunct guild.  Feel free to move from this at your leisure.

You mentioned about the communication not being so active.  Most of the players who communicate will congregate in more high level areas such as Lighthalzen and Juno.  No one really communicates in Eden or inside Prontera/Izlude anymore.  Unless an active event is going that draws players to a particular area.  South Prontera is still semi active on Chaos.

With that being said.  #1 Spot for information will be here in the Forums.  But I would highly recommend getting discord as many of the active guilds and player base use this.  There is an official iRO discord you can find simply by googling.  There are many other guild discords that always welcome guests.  Get into a few of these and you can find people who will be able to answer more questions for you.

Now that I've brought up questions.  You will have many.  Many many many.  Google is your friend for finding some things.  Be careful though.  There is a lot of outdated guides and information for other non official servers(or official servers in another country such as kRO/jRO etc).  Some of the information you can source will not be accurate or relevant.  The game has gone through many iterations and changes and especially guides or youtube videos should be checked for timestamps.  For example.  If you are reading a stat or skill build guide written by a player, if it's dated within the last year or so, it's probably has some merit.  If it's something from 5 or 6 years ago, chances are that things have changed some so you might want to consider talking to someone first hand about it.

Please feel free to reach out to me via private message here on the forums and I can give you some discord links to bring you onboard.  I will see what I can do about supporting you some also if you decide to roll new onto Chaos.

Don't be deterred.  There is a lot of fun in being let down or challenged by content.  It will make your experience that much better when you are able to accomplish what you are after.  This game is great for that.

Once again, welcome on board.

#17 CaptainSunbear

CaptainSunbear

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:52 PM

Chaos renewal is active, I chose to start there a year and a half ago and I had a lot of fun.

iRO chaos renewal has a lot of features that really make the game fun for all adventurers.

Remember that there is a progression, don’t expect the best in slot equipment to be obtained right away. Learn a bit of the struggle, share your struggle, get advice and bit by bit shape the way you play to fit into Ragnarok Online and enjoy the game itself.

There is grind, I won’t lie to you. Whether you pay to win or you don’t youll still have to grind away at higher levels. But you don’t have to be max level to travel and do certain instances. There’s a lot of daily quests for exp at higher levels and there’s a ton of seasonal events. iRO renewal has amazing events, you can even profit from them too! Or you can meet people too doing the same stuff as you.

Been meaning to reply to this all day but I finally got a chance.

The community might seem small or we might seem quiet but we all love the game as much as the next person. You gotta be out there too, you can always start with a question and get guidance. Most people I run into are always in the same areas. Lighthalzen, Eden kitchen, payon by the big tree (shoutout to those people I always see) and Juno.

Always feel free to ask anything on here as well. I spent some of my time trying to figure out how to get newbies through starting iRO because it looks scary. Large digits on videos and large digit zeny item values that seem impossible to reach, but there is always a way to do things within the game.

You’ll enjoy this. Enjoy your stay, please keep us up to date if your impression changed and or need help. We are always here for everyone! (Always be courteous and polite to everyone :))

#18 yamasakai90

yamasakai90

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3030 posts
  • LocationUnder the Ground

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:21 PM

If you decide to re-start in Chaos, drop me a PM and I'll provide you with some welcome package.

People normally don't give out much cause its hard to identify newbies, with those ppl that who are just asking for donations (scamming).

You can also go out to the Party recruiting section of the forum, and ask to join a PvM guild.

The thing is that most people using party, guild, private message, or using other voice/text messaging app (Discort etc). Unless you're in specific town like maybe Lighthalzen (Which you probably won't be at your level) or guild spot(s), you would hardly find anyone talking in public chat.

#19 DarkOrinus

DarkOrinus

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:10 PM

im leveling a dancer myself but in chaos this weekend. let me know if you need a person to level with i guess

#20 Netha

Netha

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:59 PM

15 years of RO and the max I've asked in all this time was help for 2 quests and sometimes advice. :o RO is pain first 6-24 months depending on how much you play and how effective/experienced you are, sad but true.

#21 xMLGzus

xMLGzus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1117 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:38 PM

switch to chaos  always down to help new people 

#22 LeeKelly

LeeKelly

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • LocationUmbala; Amatsu

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:04 AM

Send me a PM and I can spare some time and resources to help if you will start in Chaos.

Edited by LeeKelly, 17 May 2019 - 04:04 AM.

#23 hammie

hammie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:24 AM

Eventually you should look for a guild even if it is a noob guild. It will make the grind more tolerable if you have people to chat with even if they aren't leveling with you.

#24 Zander

Zander

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2393 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:00 PM

Start in chaos and join a guild. Chaos has a lot of active players but everygroup has its own thing going. And i highly suggest to get discord coz thats where things happen in terms of communications and events. Dm me if u need help also. I can give u something to start with. And goodluck mate!!

#25 Pivorus

Pivorus

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:37 PM

Chaos server is filled with afk bots well its because a lot are multiple account afk on eden and prontera. wp should act to minimize this I almost can't navigate on eden group filled with this afk these characters should be relocated or banned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users