a few noob questions (lag, clunky movement, tooltips) - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

a few noob questions (lag, clunky movement, tooltips)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Xillor

Xillor

I made it Off Topic

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 12:13 AM

Hey there. I've been playing iRO for a long time but only for short periods of time (only a few months usually) but started somewhere around 2013. I still consider myself a huge noob, and so I have some questions that I was hoping somebody with more knowledge than me could answer..

1. server lag: is it just me or is the server constantly rubberbanding? To describe it, it's usually when there are multiple enemies on screen and my movements are delayed. Is there any way to fix this or is this just how this server is?

2. temporal boots: when they say base 120 stat, that does mean 120 statted stat right? I did some testing and was getting the bonuses from the boots before even reaching 120 statted str. Then I tried using STR soul potions to go below 120, and took them off and put them back on between each stat only to see my ATK was the exact same each time. Then I found this to be the case even when I removed the boots. Finally, I got my str statted up to 120 and took them off and my ATK finally went down. any explanation? visual bug/client desync?

3. clunky movement: this might just come back to lag again but sometimes I get stuck and can't do anything until I click to move somewhere. I mean that clicking on an item to pick it up or casting a spell will do nothing, and the client will keep running, so it's not like I disconnected, but then the only thing that works is clicking on the ground somewhere to move first. Is this intentional? It feels extremely clunky and not at all how poorly I remember the controls in this game being.

4. misleading tooltips: I understand that a lot of abilities need to be reworked, but why are so many of the descriptions just flat out wrong? I could give plenty of examples but it really just boils down to the iRO team forgetting to update the tooltips for spells as if they didn't matter, but as somebody who is relatively unknowledgable about the game, it's extremely confusing and misleading.

5. too many search results: this is more of a question for the developers but really how hard is it to just allow me to search the word "Costume" and get 10+ pages of every costume on sale? or maybe click a button that says "garment" and see all the garments on sale? i can't tell you how inconvenient it is use a wikipedia for literally everything because my only two options when shopping are A: click on every shop, or B: already know what im looking for.

thanks in advance for any help you can give  :)

#2 ZanRen

ZanRen

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 840 posts
  • LocationTustin, CA
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Thor

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:54 AM

1. i play in tustin,ca and i dont experience lag. but some players outside of US do or maybe even some here. what i usually find in the forums player use i think is leatrix latency? dunno if there is a more updated/better one to use. ask for others.

2. base stats is the 1st part of your stat that you put points to. the + after is not calculated on the bonus of equips if it needs base stats to work. never tried soul potions and using base stats gears, but i found out before that when resetting my chars, i need to change map/logout for the effects to work/apply when i am adding the points and equipping the gear. im guessing it might be the same when removing stat points, and the effect might still be there as base until you logout. as for the atk part, dunno if you are only checking the +50atk or overall. it should only add the +50 atk at 120str base, unless there was something that broke (pretty normal on iRO) :heh:

3. might be lag, but there are some position bugs in the game where you can get stuck and need to move somewhere again to refresh your position. mostly when you get hit by mobs, or when using a skill and trying to move after. this is problematic when trying to get an item and you get position bugged. you would not be able to get the item anymore. i had to use Greed skill just to get the bugged items on the ground. havent experienced it recently, but those were my problems before.

4. yeah, translations in the game are bad. try to use irowiki.org or the irowiki db for items. maybe divine pride, dunno if thats allowed to mention here  :ani_swt3:  there are also a bunch of updates since then, this includes skill balances so you might not know the changes. irowiki is helpful, but since it is community driven, it is also not updated that much sometimes. just confirm here if you have specific questions. i myself recently did the illusion turtle quests, and i couldnt even understand the quest story at first. grammar/spelling is just bad. you will know what to do, but its just a bad experience trying to read through it. newer updates tend to have bad translations so far. dunno why.

5. well, that too. there is the shopping board on towns, but they are pretty bad. there is also the shopping voucher or something which i forgot the name where you can check vends by using an item. no more ragial so there are limited choices now.

Edited by ZanRen, 15 January 2021 - 04:56 AM.

#3 coolvampire

coolvampire

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 08:38 AM

for no.1 question, are you experiencing rubber banding kind of flinching lag when monsters hit you?

#4 Mimosa666

Mimosa666

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:46 PM

I am outside US too and I sometimes get clunky movement as well. One thing I've been doing is turning off effects by typing /effect

Here's a list: Ragnarok Online - 87 Essential Slash Commands - Online Game Commands

#5 Xillor

Xillor

I made it Off Topic

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 02:12 AM

1. i play in tustin,ca and i dont experience lag. but some players outside of US do or maybe even some here. what i usually find in the forums player use i think is leatrix latency? dunno if there is a more updated/better one to use. ask for others.

I play from east coast US, in NC. I know the iRO servers are on the west coast (at least that's what i read). Also I didn't try relogging for the base stat boots (i'm also using ring of hero) or switching maps so I'm sure it was just a visual error or something. The only reason I was confused was because I had my str around 110, then had my boots on, slowly statted my str up to 120 and didn't notice any difference. I guess I needed to switch maps and that probably would have cleared up a lot of confusion.

for no.1 question, are you experiencing rubber banding kind of flinching lag when monsters hit you?

it's not really when I get hit, I know about hit flinching, but it's more like... if I click on an aggressive monster, we walk toward each other -- past each other. Now i'm standing where the enemy was, and the enemy is now standing where I was. Then we both turn around and run back to the middle of those two spots and start hitting each other. Then sometimes when moving around (especially with lots of enemies on screen) i'll get heavy ping, even when not getting hit, where my movement seems to be delayed by over a second.

I am outside US too and I sometimes get clunky movement as well. One thing I've been doing is turning off effects by typing /effect

Here's a list: Ragnarok Online - 87 Essential Slash Commands - Online Game Commands

I'll try this and /mineffect to see if there's any difference but i've been getting this lag even when there's nothing going on on-screen at all. for the record I have less than 100 ping when playing other games including LoL and my ping to the west coast is around 70 ms, and over 100 mbps download speed. Maybe I'm just not used to the default delay of the game, since it is kind of an old game. going from playing modern games to this can be pretty jarring. but I have seen a lot of people mention that they don't experience any lag at all which is the only reason i asked.

thanks for the responses guys, I really appreciate it.

#6 coolvampire

coolvampire

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 06:38 AM

that monsters and you pass each other and then move back toward when click on them, yeah its common sign you are on high ping.

have you try tcpnodelay fix? it works well on my side. there is a tutorial somewhere to manually tweak it (involve editing regedit etc), if you are lazy to do those steps, just install Leatrix latency fix. just google it, it works well on me. i tried paid subscription such as noping program long ago, it works wonder too.

#7 Xillor

Xillor

I made it Off Topic

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 04:37 PM

One other thing I forgot to mention is that my client crashes pretty frequently. It seems to happen at random, and i'm not sure what to do about it.

#8 coolvampire

coolvampire

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:48 PM

One other thing I forgot to mention is that my client crashes pretty frequently. It seems to happen at random, and i'm not sure what to do about it.

crash with EAC error messages? or the game just close without any warning at all?

#9 Xillor

Xillor

I made it Off Topic

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:50 AM

crash with EAC error messages? or the game just close without any warning at all?

It was the leatrix latency fixer that the guy previously suggested. It didn't fix the latency either though so I uninstalled it and i'm not crashing anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users