Genesis Ray vs ED (pros and cons) - Swordsman Class - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Genesis Ray vs ED (pros and cons)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 iSilverStorml

iSilverStorml

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 06:13 PM

Hey guys,

Returning player planning to rework my current VP/OB RG. As i'm looking through the forums first and found out about the ED and GR. Just wanted to hear the pros and cons from you guys regarding the build interms of PVM (ex. MVPs and ET or grinding mats for Zs) and the cost associated with the builds/sustainability after the new update.

Thanks guys! Any help appreciated!

#2 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 07 February 2022 - 05:14 AM

pro: GR has a bigger aoe, it's holy element by default, magical damage instead of physical
con: it's holy element by default, it's one of the only 3 magic skills of the class. Magical damage instead of physical

pro: ED can buil into any other RG skill with the same stat and mostly the same gear. Physical damage

con: smaller aoe, earth element

#3 iSilverStorml

iSilverStorml

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 08:53 AM

Thanks Ashuckel, you've always been helpful through these years.

I heard once the kRO implements are done, the magical dmg will be converted to physical correct? 

Thanks!

#4 JPTrader604

JPTrader604

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 02:16 PM

Yeah I'm a genesis ray RG, a major con is once something is holy element immune you're screwed. My workaround is a hybrid RG. I'm not complete yet to see if it works but here is my idea: if you google "stats ragnarok" and look at the breakdown of each stat, you see that int gives you about 1.5 MATK each point. Str gives you +1 ATK and 0.5% Weapon damage (I read this as if your str is 100 it'll be 100*0.005=0.5, and your base weapon is 190, it gives you 190*0.5 =95 atk. So 100 str gives you around 195 atk. 100 int gives you 1.5 matk each, so it's about 150 matk. This means strength is better than int if you only care about damage. Luck gives you 1/3 atk, matk, and hit for each point so 100 luck = 33 atk, 33 matk, 33 hit (along with crit and perfect dodge).

What I do is I have a base level of 90 str and 60 int since str is better than int, then I do 100 luck (I actually have 120 luck which = 40 atk and 40 matk), so I get around 90+45.5 str = 135.5 atk, + 40 atk from my luck =175.5 atk (compared to 234 atk if I went 120 str; remember str is better than int). For int I have 60 so its 60*1.5=90 matk + 40 from my luck = 130 matk (compared to 180 matk if I went 120 int). With my extra points I get dex (70 + 40 from my luck), vit (90) and agi (100). The difference in atk/matk would be more noticeable pre renewal, but today the cash shop items add so much atk/matk these differences are less noticeable. 

So anyways basically my stats are: 90 str, 100 agi, 90 vit, 60 int, 70 dex, 120 luck. I have 50% crit (before spear quicken's 30% bonus and other physical equipment that'll likely add crit), with a old morroc shawl I have 37 perfect dodge. 500 or so hit, 515 flee, 80k+ hp after my buffs. The build allows me to switch to "physical mode" if an enemy is holy immune, where I'll use cannon spear.

I haven't completely finished yet to see how viable it is. But so far it's not bad. I'll have 193 ASPD with 80-90% crit, 1300 atk, 1200 matk (depending which equipment I have on), 500 hit, 515 flee when I am fully geared. I think a pure str/int build could probably hit 1450/1350 atk/matk but wouldn't have max aspd, have lower hit, no crit and no perfect dodge. The only bad part I've noticed is you cannot use gears for the magic/physical side that require a high base to give you maximum effects. See mob scarf + sunglasses as an example, it requires high int to give you the best effects. I use diabolus wings and diabolus boots instead. If you do genesis ray RG you can use level 1 holy cross which will halve your SP usage compared to level 10 holy cross, since all the damage is from genesis ray anyways. You can use level 10 for some time before your SP runs out using the 60 int assumption on a boss you need to maximize damage, it's not really an issue. Just for hours and hours of leveling you'll run out with all your sp draining buffs on. 

As for ET I can easily solo up to Ifrit. I only went once, I think I can kill Ifrit now but it'll take a decent amount of resources. I know how to handle his earthquake now (didn't before) so it should be fine. The hard stop is Valk, where I'm waiting until I finish my physical side to see if I can solo. We'll see what a shadow spear + cannon spear can do when I finish my build in a month or two. 

Edited by JPTrader604, 07 February 2022 - 03:12 PM.

#5 iSilverStorml

iSilverStorml

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 03:13 PM

Thank you JP Trader for taking the time to explain all of it! Hope your hybrid build ends up good! I might have to do some divine pride searching to see, but there must be a good item to give us a high level skill to cast a different element move!?!? Or would even ED work well enough to compensate?

I'm leaning towards the GR RG because of affordability, the True Randals are so expensive for the ED builds. Also off topic question how does one get a hand on the Splash Cat Hat i keep seeing? Thanks!

#6 JPTrader604

JPTrader604

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 03:20 PM

The only answer is to be patient, unfortunately. Everything is basically a (former) cash shop item now. You just gotta wait until someone is selling it. It's not a super uncommon item, I think it's around 200m unrefined. When I first started I wanted it, but keep in mind if you're doing GR RG you literally cannot wear anything other than divine guard hat on your top head. That splash cat hat would be just for 1-115. A few days ago I saw an octopus hat for 25m. I once wanted one of those so I could use fresh fish to heal myself (grand cross crusader turned into genesis ray rg). It's the first time I've seen it since I was level 1, I am now 180 xD. I'm not 100% sure about how the bonuses compound, it's potentially 4k per fish if it's straight up compounding. (Edit: Scratch that I looked at the wrong number when I looked at it a few days ago, it's like maybe 700 hp?)

Edited by JPTrader604, 07 February 2022 - 03:42 PM.

#7 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 07 February 2022 - 04:24 PM

the atk/matk gained from raw stats is very minimal, most of a character's power comes from the equipment it wears, and stats are solely a way to activate equipment effects.

And the part where "a pure str/int build wouldn't have X stats" is untrue/misleading. Both can reach max aspd, high amounts of flee and hit rate, high hp values, and crit is an unecessary stat if you are using skills and not autoattacking. It's just a matter of having the adequate equipment to support your build.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users