• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ItsMoonie

ItsMoonie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:48 PM

So I'm thinking of making a mage for my next character but I'm not sure which would be a better choice for me.
Just looking for some pro's and cons of each of those two classes.
Mostly I'll just be grinding / farming.
Something with good aoe's and/or decent survivability that doesn't rely too heavily on pots and resources would be what I'm looking for.

#2 Caelum

Caelum

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:42 PM

Something with good aoe's and/or decent survivability that doesn't rely too heavily on pots and resources would be what I'm looking for.

Sorcs have a much better survivability rate than locks...which have the lowest survivability in RO. Also since renewal gave Sorcs GOOD AoE magic damage, overall they are the superior class in most aspects (pvp, woe, pvm).

Warlocks = Great AoE, Low Damage, Poor Survivability
Sorcs = Good AoE, Low Damage, Good Survivability

#3 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:47 PM

Sorcs have a much better survivability rate than locks...which have the lowest survivability in RO. Also since renewal gave Sorcs GOOD AoE magic damage, overall they are the superior class in most aspects (pvp, woe, pvm).

Warlocks = Great AoE, Low Damage, Poor Survivability
Sorcs = Good AoE, Low Damage, Good Survivability

I think you got it wrong.

Warlocks -> Great Single/Multi Target, Good Damage, Low HP
Sorcerers -> Good AoE, Low Damage, Mid HP

That will sums up =)

#4 Caelum

Caelum

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:59 PM

I think you got it wrong.

Warlocks -> Great Single/Multi Target, Good Damage, Low HP
Sorcerers -> Good AoE, Low Damage, Mid HP

That will sums up =)

The AoE section is illustrating the sheer size of the area of the skills, not the effectiveness of the damage. In terms of AoE diameter, Locks are on top. But, because MATK blows in RO now, all caster classes suck in terms of damage, and a lock is no better than a sorc in pure DPS when compared against the power physical classes can now obtain.

#5 Mwrip

Mwrip

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:53 AM

Sorc = Directly int based, and thus able to to bypass Renewal's completely broken MATK.
Lock = No such luck

Sorc = Nuetral element attacks allow play in all those holy and shadow dungeons
Lock = No such luck

Sorc = The "walk" skills and summons enhance solo survivability
Lock = No such luck

So what does the lock have going for him? Well...
-Enormous, unrivaled AoE, including 2 full screen attacks, one of which doesn't even have to center on you... but you only need that kind of nuke size in a large party, and those don't exist anymore.
-The ability to precast and release an enormous spell combo for insane damage... except that nothing but MVPs are strong enough to justify doing that, and MVPs all have too much MDEF for anyone to care.
-The ability to both amp and roll auto-max damage... but unfortunately, Renewal's broken MATK negates both so you're just doing pre-Renewal wiz-level damage, while all other classes work to get stronger rather than just getting back to their former attack power.
-Some powerful status effects... but other classes kill so quickly there's little point in bothering to apply them.

The main issue with the lock is that he's built to fight powerful monsters in party play, using strong matk-boosting gear and Renewal, for the most part, has no powerful monsters, no party play, and no caster gear strong enough to make up for how severely matk got hammered.

As much as I loved the wizzie, and like how the lock works *in theory*, in practice, they just plain aren't very useful at the moment. Hopefully, this will change in the future.

Edited by Mwrip, 15 February 2011 - 10:55 AM.

#6 Caelum

Caelum

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:26 PM

The main issue with the lock is that he's built to fight powerful monsters in party play, using strong matk-boosting gear and Renewal, for the most part, has no powerful monsters, no party play, and no caster gear strong enough to make up for how severely matk got hammered.

As much as I loved the wizzie, and like how the lock works *in theory*, in practice, they just plain aren't very useful at the moment. Hopefully, this will change in the future.

It's just a uphill battle now to regain power. The day after renewal hit iRO, my 9X High Wiz ended up with the matk of a 9X Wiz....I still haven't recovered all of it back yet. It's like you have to level up to Trans all over again.

I agree though, the main issue with Warlocks is that Renewal took away any "environment" in which they would actually be useful, or any situation that would make them NECESSARY in have in a party. Given with what we have right now, they are a novelty class. Warlocks became as useful as the expanded classes with renewal.

Edited by Caelum, 18 February 2011 - 06:33 PM.

#7 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:08 PM

It's just a uphill battle now to regain power. The day after renewal hit iRO, my 9X High Wiz ended up with the matk of a 9X Wiz....I still haven't recovered all of it back yet. It's like you have to level up to Trans all over again.

I agree though, the main issue with Warlocks is that Renewal took away any "environment" in which they would actually be useful, or any situation that would make them NECESSARY in have in a party. Given with what we have right now, they are a novelty class. Warlocks became as useful as the expanded classes with renewal.

Not quite true...

For WoE in pre-renewal I used to go with 13XX and 14XX matk with foods and that... and 23XX matk if I wasn't using shield...

Now in Renewal I go with 11XX matk and 12XX matk with Bryn... and I believe a regular HW pre-renewal used to have around 12XX or so... so I don't see any difference in matk at all... the only difference I can appoint is our cast times mostly because Warlock's cast time are mostly influenced by "Fixed" cast time while Sorcerers are quite the opposite.

Other than that, I really don't see any problem with Warlocks other than giving up on shields to pull god damage...

Indeed we lost the party side but we gained the "solo" part... Personally I like it that way since my play style was always soloing plus we have now strongest spells than a HW and we can bypass ME/Pneuma with all of them... plus with Radius we can cast quite far away from the enemy so as I said before... Warlocks are quite indeed more powerful than HW... and I can assure you we are quite powerful against Sorcerers... even w/o gear (I like to go PvP w/o gear and kill 150's sorcerers way far away w/o give them time to cast...)

So in resume... it depends on how can you play your warlock and how good can you get use to it =)

#8 Anko

Anko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:01 AM

Sorc = The "walk" skills and summons enhance solo survivability
Lock = No such luck

Just wondered what you mean by walk skills? Do you mean fire/electric walk? If so how do they enhance survivability? Or did i get the wrong end of the stick?

#9 Nombus

Nombus

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:52 AM

Sorc = Directly int based, and thus able to to bypass Renewal's completely broken MATK.

Not true, only one spell is affected by direct int (Psychic Wave) and it is only partially given a bonus by it. It is still heavily given a bonus by Matk.

Basically if you're looking to kill - Warlock is the answer with their single target skills - they've got plenty of disabling methods but Sorcerer beats them there.
If you are looking to impair/disable - Sorcerer has a bit of an advantage. But a sorcerer isn't killing anything with a supply of pots unless they get lucky and proc a crystallization status on the enemy.

#10 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:33 AM

By the way, Comet has a 10 minute cooldown. Screenwide AoE not-centered on your character suddenly isn't so cool anymore.

#11 heyxsean

heyxsean

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:39 PM

PvM:
Both:
Pro: Can level with Kaahi, so don't really need to use pots unless Kaahi runs out.
Pro: Can one shot most, if not all, monsters up until 12x.
Con: Terrible MvPers.
Sorceror:
Pro: Faster lvling without the need of being heavily stacked with god items and such.
Pro: Faster cast speed and short skill delay, makes it easy to chain skills together.
Pro: keeping sp full for Kaahi is easier with indulge.
Warlocks:
Pro: Stronger AoE dmg.
Pro: Can one shot most monsters if using the right element on higher lvled monsters.
Con: Really gear dependent.
Con: Can only Kaahi lvl using Crimson Rock and Chain Lightning.
Con: Can't mob up as much as a Sorceror.
Con: Lvling with Jack Frost and Frost Misty will get you btched at.

Not a complete list but whatever...not gonna get into pvp/woe since you just want to use them to farm items. In which case, it depends on what you'd be farming...monsters lower than 120, I'd go with Sorceror since they can one shot and have a faster cast speed. Any higher, I'd go with Warlock since they have a slower cast but can most likely one shot with Crimson Rock or whatever.

#12 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:32 AM

Con: Lvling with Jack Frost and Frost Misty will get you btched at.

lol... yeah you will be hated and even people will remember even ur grand grand grand parent for using FM/JF combo close to them xD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users